Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So I just opened Google+ for the first time and it has a bunch of my contacts who are following me. I'm fairly sure none of them purposefully did this. Does it do a link by contacts phone number or something? It didn't show me as following anyone...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I like how now if I take a picture with the default camera Google Goggles may prompt a notification that it identified something, then when you click the notification Google Goggles tries to pull up and crashes. Super polished there, Google.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Blue Train posted:

I dunno I can see why you would want to prevent apps from running at startup and in the background, it's possible to prevent if you use xposed or a custom rom as well. It should be possible by default imo

No and I hate you.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So... you'd rather install an app that can stop you from dialing numbers? Just add a contact you lazy bastard.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Does anyone have any recommendations for an app that automatically cycles through space-themed wallpapers? The NASA app used to do that and I used it for years, but it seems like they removed that functionality. I've tried another couple of random "space wallpaper" apps and none of them seem great.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

You can try Muzei then add the Muzei Reddit plugin. Worked well for years but recent reviews on Play arm to indicate some are having issues. Could give it a shot.

This is perfect, thank you. Had to go into advanced settings and turn if blur as the pictures were completely indecipherable, but otherwise this seems fantastic. Thanks again, never would have found it myself.

ElegantFugue posted:

Does it have to be actual space, or would fake space work? If the latter, I've been using this one for a while now.

Was really looking more for real space pics, but thanks for the suggestion!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I just have a huge, gaping, empty void in my code.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Really, really like DarkSky. Seems to be super accurate and the app itself is great.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, that's pretty odd then because DarkSky seems ridiculously accurate to me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

gently caress you Google.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fax a bar code (non-QR) to the airbnb people and require them to print it out, then they can scan it to get in.

But seriously, with how popular airbnb is certainly this is a solved problem at this point?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

SpartanIV posted:

Has anyone been having trouble with email sync? I'm on a pixel with Oreo and the last day or two I haven't received any Gmail/inbox notifications. I have to open the app and refresh manually. I've checked every setting I can find and as far as I can tell synching and notifications are all turned on.

Anyone having a similar issue or have ideas how to fix it? The only thing I can think of is it has something to do with battery saver as I enabled it a few days ago.

There was an update to either Inbox or Gmail lately that weirdly enough disabled notifications on each of my mailbox accounts. I had to go back and re-enable them one by one. Sounds like maybe that happened to you?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

I tried Keep, and it doesn't work for what I want to do with it. I use it to store notes for work related stuff. It's senstive stuff, so I don't want it available to any device that can access Keep, just my phone.

This sounds like a wonderful approach to the problem.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

FunOne posted:

It does. Ignore these spergs. Install Signal for extra security or WhatsApp for more users and features. They're both fine.

Keep using whatever for normal text messaging.

"ignore these spergs. Also install Signal for greater security!" :rolleyes:

If we're relaxing the requirements so that the high res photos or videos don't need to actually send as SMS, just use Hangouts.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Stevie Lee posted:

Hangouts always compressed the gently caress out of my pictures

It does just fine if you're sending to other Hangouts users, which is what we're talking about.

FunOne posted:

Well, security is the only meaningful differentiator between those two items that is in Signals favor. It was already mentioned, so it gets included. Plus with the whole Facebook nonsense going on some people are pretending to give a poo poo.

Use WhatsApp. A billion people do. It's fine. It does group chats well. You can send photos and gifs. They look fine when they come through. It's plenty secure. It's owned by Facebook but who cares and they can't read your messages.

Hangouts is becoming an Enterprise product and is being abandoned for regular users. Allo has no traction. Telegram has nerd cred but few users. Line isn't popular in the west. WeChat is group chat involving the Chinese secret police. Signal has no users and is short on features. SnapChat is only useful to talk to people under 30. Facebook messenger flat out admitted they scan your messages for advertising. Instagram and Twitter have chat but are social first, chat second.

But yeah, let's keep talking about RCS. That'll help.

Who is the sperg now?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

vyst posted:

Buy YouTube red

I'm not even from outside the US and this is starting to grate on me. YouTube Red is not available in a lot of places.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's a good solution and it should be mentioned, it's just not a silver bullet solution for a good portion of the internet and shouldn't be a matter of fact "just buy this thing that you can't."

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Phones are not trash, phones without updates because they are past their life cycle are trash. That's the point people are making.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

hotsauce posted:

So taxpayers bought an app? Cool.

Weird acquisition. Hope they don't ruin it.

Are you one of those people who yells about how the government is Communist?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

hotsauce posted:

Jeez. Guess I'm the only one who thinks its s bit strange for a public radio station, funded by the CPB (taxpayers, yes partially) to buy a podcast app. Sure tax money is spent on millions of things, but this strikes me as weird, that's all.

Like Amtrak buying Trivago. Not an obvious transaction.

If it makes you feel any better I'm just giving you a hard time.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, I'm not making any changes until they announce that poo poo is shutting down. Google can't keep poo poo straight when they have actual products launched. It's going to be complete chaos before then.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Of course, because Google Drive wasn't good enough. We needed Google One.

I am starting to dread I/O.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Google Photos is one of their best products, so yeah, I use that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

LastInLine posted:

As soon as you start using words like folder and file structure you can already be sure your doing things wrong.

Google Photos Backup + Sync is a thing that exists for those of us who want to have our non-phone pictures in Google Photos.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Yes and even there it's a set-and-forget situation where you target some folder for auto uploads. My point is exactly that, if it isn't fully automated and completely hands off, then you're doing it wrong.

Also, ugh, that autocorrected you're > your that Gboard did for me and you quoted is killing me! I feel like I'm on a downward trend for Gboard lately where it introduces errors for me (like that) and the one that's really bothering me is that it decides that suggestions include capitalization. Like I'll swipe a word, let's say the word "it" and of course the word that comes up is never right so it produces "or" but among the three suggestions there's "It" with a capital I. Why would it tie capitalization to suggestions? Why would it start doing that?

Every time I go back to Gboard it does something like that that just irritates me to no end.

Also this:

It's kind of annoying that for all the AI stuff it does it can't tell you what photos are duplicated.

So you're agreeing that you tell it to watch a folder for files and uploads them? If I'm being pedantic here it is because your post was fairly worthless. And I generally appreciate your opinions, but that was a silly thing to say.

And yes, it should have automatic duplicate removals or a way to flag them. It's a huge oversight that it doesn't.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I thought you were giving CLAM DOWN poo poo for "I had copied a photo to another folder.."

Sorry. As you were.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Is just using Google Sheets an option?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

hooah posted:

Waze has started crashing and giving me the "App not responding" toast, even though I haven't used it in probably months. I like to keep it around because it's supposedly better than Maps at dealing with heavy unforeseen traffic, but this is getting annoying. Anything I can try?

Clear cache / clear data / uninstall and reinstall the app

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't live in Colorado Springs because I don't loving hate myself.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Google Gaslight

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

drat, was hoping I'd scoop the thread on Inbox. Glad I never made the change. Take that, Google! The wife is going to be super pissed, though.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I didn't like it because I hoard emails and I don't want something moving things around when I hit Snooze or Done. I prefer the way they are doing it in Gmail these days. But that's just my preference and I realize I am the odd one out here. It certainly had a lot of neat features. It's unfortunate that they didn't just make those settings in Gmail from day 1, but clearly it's easier for Google to spin up new products than it is for them to work on old ones.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

Stop being poors and just get an acutal alarm clock. :wotwot:

You think people don't have alarm clocks because they are poor? Jesus man, how old are you? 60?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Android Apps Thread: get a cat

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

That's the only way to make them. :colbert:

loving monster.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You can use Find My Device from Google. It has an app, a web portal, and if you have any sort of Google Home you can ask it to find your phone.

The fact that your girlfriend is losing something as important as a phone 2x a day is probably more concerning, but that is for another thread.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've had 0 problems with Discord except for in the very beginning the way it handled notifications if you were idle on your PC sucked and when I upgraded to P my notifications got hosed up, had to do an uninstall/reinstall. Otherwise Discord has been perfectly fine for me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Taffer posted:

What kinds of playlists are people making that makes the 1000 limit annoying. Assuming normal song lengths that's nearly 3 days of non-stop play.

Maybe I just don't get it because I never saw a reason to make playlists. The closest I come is listen queues and that's just a few songs :shrug:

I wanted to make a large playlist of music to pin to my phone because Google Music does not track what songs are pinned to your phone so when you get a new phone you get to do it all over again.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I saw an article headline the other day that the seemingly-frequent shutting down of Google services is hurting their brand. I can't say I disagree, but to a point. I mean, I use chrome on my phone, I'm only going with Android, I use various Gmail addresses, and I have 2 Google homes. But when they roll out some website/service, I can't help but immediately wonder how long it's going to last.

Article in case anyone wants to read it or the comments.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/04/googles-constant-product-shutdowns-are-damaging-its-brand/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm sure they're just rolling the functionality into their new Google Now, I mean Google Assistant, I mean whatever they're calling this new itreraton. And I'm sure all the same features and functionality you love will make it over.

Hahaha, no of course not.