Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

For icon packs you can't use those with the stock Google launchers can you? I didn't want to spend a buck to try out that Materialistik pack if it turns out I need to install other stuff on top of it, but it is pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Wamdoodle posted:

Does anyone here use an app and an On Board Diagnostic (OBD) tool on their car? Looking for suggestions.

Dash is pretty okay.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Slack is good if you want multiplatform crap and more of an IRC channel feel to it

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

feedmyleg posted:

Alarm Clock

Sleep as Android has never given me any issues, has a dumb amount of options for sleep tracking, gentle wake ups and math / other problems (including scanning an NFC / QR code to turn it off) to help you get up.

Also yeah Lastpass is solid and only a $1 a month for premium features.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Authenticator Plus is both cool and good, but you do need to manually reset your authentication seed to rescan, assuming whatever service doesn't make it available for later use. There isn't a way to import already established two factor accounts that I'm aware of, but unless you have a ridiculous amount it shouldn't take too long to set everything up!

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

nexus6 posted:

I have Sleep as Android - does the alarm still go off if you don't enable sleep tracking the night before?

Yeah you can ignore all the fancy features and alarm works just fine. It's as complicated as you want I guess, and you can ignore all the crap you don't care about pretty easily.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Does another app (Swype? Is that still a thing?) do flow a lot better than SwiftKey? I rarely use it but when I do it seems wholly functional, just rather limited by my own lack of speed when trying to hold the phone and type with it at the same time, probably while walking and trying not get hit by a bus or whatever.

Anyway what I'm saying is it doesn't seem like it could be much better but is there another app that is actually a swiping game changer or something?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

I guess no sense changing keyboards then since I do the one handed swipe type thing pretty much never but definitely rely on SwiftKey stealing all my personal data and selling it being good at predictions almost constantly.

Thanks for keyboard information though! :f5:

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

uPen posted:

Depends on where you live I guess? I never look at radar anything because it always just looks like this:

Oh no weather today, great. :geno:

It rained that one time, might happen again next year, keep checking

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Been using Metal for Facebook replacement and it's great, but they recently switched the messenger to some new garbage setup that is really laggy, will accept touchscreen input from behind the keyboard and just sucks in general.

Any ideas on how to fix or what my next replacement should be?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Oh thanks I didn't notice since it needed a restart. This is so much better.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Metal for Facebook users, are you able to access your messages anymore through the application or does it just give you a prompt to install the official Facebook Messenger client?

Trying to not use the actual Facebook or Messenger apps so hopefully someone has a workaround or alternative app!

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Zom Aur posted:

It's been removed from the mobile site completely, so it won't work with apps that use that implementation.

Any good alternatives then? Could only find disa.im and Trillian, not sure if there's anything else. Would really like to avoid using the official Facebook poo poo if possible.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Metal was simply a wrapper for the mobile web interface, cleaning it up and making it a little prettier and more functional. It was a good alternative to the full blown Facebook app if had issues with slowdown or battery drain problems associated with the official product.

The messenger interface was also just the mobile web client, which apparently is disabled now for some portion of users, forcing them to install the Messenger app I guess. My phone is a kind of old piece of poo poo with a bad battery so I think I'm just going to use Facebook chat from a computer.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Nitrousoxide posted:

I use lifesum which also has an Android wear part as well.

I used to use MFP and would just do all my input on the computer since their mobile app was so clunky, Lifesum seems to be a lot better in that regard. Prettier too, strongly considering getting premium.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

I don't know if this is on Android or only a web app but Habitica is a dumb little RPG where you level up by doing poo poo on your to do list. For a lot of people it's pretty stupid and I don't use it but have a few friends whose dopamine buttons are properly activated by little "+3 XP!" messages whenever they take out the trash or whatever, might be worth a shot.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Snapchat used to reliably crash my phone into a reboot, never figured out if it was my phone or the app, didn't care enough about it to troubleshoot. But otherwise, yeah never.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

I just wanted to confirm that there's no new hotness for podcast applications and the recommendations in the OP for Pocket Casts and Beyond Pod are still good? Like neither of them was bought by some joint NSA / Russian Mob shell corporation and now funnels all your data into purchasing in-game currency for some lovely MMO or anything, right? :ohdear:

Any strong preferences one way or the other for which to grab?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Mine always have menus and the ability to swipe the tile away and then a prompt asking if I want it gone forever or just for now. Maybe your Google Now is acting up and needs a restart / something something with the cache / data?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Yeah I'm in the exact same boat, Swiftkey was wonderful for speed and accurately figuring out what the gently caress I want to say, Google Keyboard so far seems quicker (from a processing / app point of view, not typing speed - Swiftkey would chug in some apps) and has neater features. It also lets me type what I want a little easier on the occasions I want to insert a code snippet or format something weirdly. And the gifs are really cool.

For longer term users, is it something that warms up with time?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Do people still use Lightflow or is it a giant malware bomb or is there some cool replacement that everyone uses now?

Nexus 6P by the way in case it matters - seeing that Pixel users have some issues with Lightflow.

Stanley Goodspeed fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 21, 2016

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Just click the folder, click the name and delete it?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Nova Settings, Folders, Icon Layout, switch "Labels" to off?

Edit: No that changes labels in the folder, not folder labels themselves.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Wondering if anyone has suggestions for other wallpaper applications beyond those mentioned in the OP? I know it's getting a little dusty in there and new things come out pretty often. I would personally prefer something that uses actual photographs / images vs. a procedural generator like Tapet, but for the sake of the thread I'm open to anything.

Also curious since I recently got my new (used) 6P - does anyone have any apps that are outside the categories mentioned in the OP? Just dumb / weird / utilitarian stuff they really enjoy? I'm always looking for some new silly use for my phone (look it's a bubble level, now it's a ruler, also I can call people!) so would love to hear everyone's random apps too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Does anyone have good recommendations for accessibility software or even phones in general for someone with low vision? My mother in law has a form of macular degeneration (I think?) which severely restricts her focal vision, but still lets her "see around" it.

I've already turned on high contrast mode and increased the font size to the maximum, and the included screen magnifier is helpful but also makes the phone chug. Screen readers haven't been terribly useful because they're usually pretty bad and also she still has vision, just needs things to be as large and contrasted as possible.

She has a Nexus 6 right now which I suggested for her a year and a half ago I think? When it was still reasonably new because it had such a monster screen and was stock Android so I could tech support / computer janitor for her over the phone easily.

Anyway I'm not one hundred percent sure what I'm asking for, more just curious if anyone is in (or knows someone in) a similar situation and what solutions they've come up with? Apps, phones, weird external devices, anything would be appreciated, thank you!