Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Nitrousoxide posted:

Looks like a major update is coming to Google voice in the near future.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/09/google-voice-updates-are-imminent/

It's about time! Voice is such a terrible app for what it does, and it's been that way for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

rocket_Magnet posted:

What's a good alternative to google keyboard for auto-correction? I make of a lot of mistakes when typing on phones. Google keyboard on my older phones (nexus 4 2013, note 4) was excellent after a few weeks at correcting silly common errors I made, but I've switched to a new phone (pixel XL) for 6 weeks now and it's auto-correction is straight up loving awful. Like auto-correcting words with simple single letter typos like "kiling" to "looking" or my personal :wtc: one "diphenhydramine" to "do you what" (not even a typo in there!), I've finally lost patience. I've seen swiftkey mentioned when doing a quick browse through the thread as an alternative keyboard, but is it's autocorrection better?

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that the need Google keyboard is ur yeah. The latest version released for the park has recipe autocorrect.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Peachfart posted:

I tried this, no success. Thank you though.

I had maps aggressively pop up like this a few times and try to take me to THE CHEESECAKE FACTORY over and over, even after force killing the app and some other bullshit.

It finally went away after I rebooted my phone.

Google! Why gently caress everything up?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Kinda now just realizing that WhatsApp has a terrible icon.

And a dumb name

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

syscall girl posted:

Sincere apologies though I have not had my coffee yet. Like no joke. It's starting to become a problem that is isolating me from other people and I need to read my Garfield and murder all purveyors of decaff.

You're actually Sean Young, aren't you

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Tsyni posted:

I'm looking for an app or software that's like an address book, but allows me to add a bunch of more detailed info, or add my own data fields like siblings and favorite pie and whatever. Even if it is just a more detailed address book I'd be interested.

A lot of this is available in Contacts already. You can add notes and a ton of other fields in the app, and it all syncs up to contacts.google.com

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Endless Mike posted:

It's Google so they'll just have two competing music services that do slightly different things, with neither having all the features you actually want.

One GPM replacement will have emoji stickers. The other will have voice and im chat.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Taffer posted:

Plex and GPM would still be your best choice. Is there a reason you don't want to use them?

GPM has problems with large music collections - it gets stuttery and the interface isn't really useful for browsing.

Oh! And it completely fucks up albums with common names. I can navigate to an artist and choose their Greatest Hits album and GPM will show tracks from every GH album in my collection. It's bad.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

hooah posted:

They really did screw the pooch on that beta update. Then they got bought and haven't been heard from since.

Oh noooo, the worst of all possible outcomes. Who bought them?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
I like and pay for newsblur. It's got a good mobile app and the website is fantastic.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

sweart gliwere posted:

Support the troupes, and brag about how well-endowed they are
:q:

Bad news, the Marines just bought BeyondPod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

peepsalot posted:

Hi I'm starting to get back into mtn. biking and I installed google fit to track my miles etc.

Just curious if there's any way to increase accuracy or something, because it seems to sample position very roughly or infrequently and cuts huge corners out of my path when I look at the recorded data.

Also it seems like it is very delayed, like it records half of a bike ride during a ride, and then take like 1hr after the end of a ride before it fill in the rest. Is there any way to give it a hint when a ride is over, or maybe just a more accurate app specifically for biking?

Google fit is real bad for anything besides giving office workers warm fuzzies for taking 10,000 badly detected steps. It's never been able to give me a decent route hiking or biking and sometimes it just gives up and doesn't record anything if WiFi and sat signals aren't available.