Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I'm really sad that they've screwed around with Photos so much: it went from something with an incredibly simple, uh, 'mission statement', and an incredibly simple UI, and they've just soiled it. Everything about it feels over-stuffed.

Uthor posted:

They're obviously trying to get people to remember that you can chat in Photos.

Shame how they originally made a fuss about how Photos was spun-off from Google+, but now they really really really want to be Instagram instead so it's back to failing at being a social network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Jeez, trying to find a simple app for something that the phone should do built in but doesn't on android is a nightmare of wading through 'recommendation' pages for adware-filled-data-harvesting microtransaction-blocked-basic-features crap.

Anyone got a recommendation for a simple recorder/uploader? Google's one is pixel-only and this person doesn't have that.

Google Keep can take audio notes, I think.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

That seems like a security/compliance nightmare. I'd be shocked if anyone had implemented it.

How's it any different from paying for your Starbucks? Other than the receiving end being mobile I mean.

[e] like I'd of course add in a 'key in the amout you want to transmit' step. Maybe a 'hey are you sure you want to send X to Y' biometric prompt as well?

spincube fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 17, 2021

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there anything that'll take GPS readings every so often, and draw a 'snail trail' over a map from the results? I'll be taking an overnight train journey later this year, and it'd be interesting to retrace the route I took. I understand that this is a feature of the Google Maps timeline, but I'd rather use something I can consciously flick on and off, that's divorced from Google's ecosystem and privacy settings mess.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the suggestions - GPSLogger seems ideal.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

field balm posted:

OK I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly, but I've got a trip coming up and I'd like to be able to have some sort of wiki like thing where I can have different pages for different cities and then on those pages have text and inline images (loads of screenshots off instagram, web pages etc). Probably some sort of note app that let's you include images?

I guess I could just chuck the screenshots in folders but I'd like to be able to annotate etc as well.

It sounds boomer as gently caress but, for travel itineraries, the very best result I've had came from using a plain simple Google doc that you can then share around, or print to PDF and send to people. Put your tickets and stuff in a Google Drive folder and link to it from the doc, and include hyperlinks to the Google Maps/what3words entries for places where you'll be going, and you've bettered literally every trip planner app/website I've used, without even needing to upsell car rental packages.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

St_Ides posted:

My solution to this would just be a folder on google drive. It won't look fancy but it should work.

I'd recommend this. If you want to be really fuckin' lah-di-dah fancy, do yourself an itinerary in Google Docs with links to the PDFs, Google Maps directions etc as needed, set everything to 'available offline', and then you've pretty much built your own version of every trip planning website out there.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Couldn't give you any specific pros or cons, but I hear MediaMonkey is the go-to these days for 'manage my MP3s without setting up my own self-hosted streaming service'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

smoobles posted:

Is there a browser for Android with built in ad block

Yes, Vivaldi.