Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I really like PhoneMyPC for controlling my Windows computer from an Android phone or tablet, but I also got it on a sale many years ago, so I've no idea how much it costs and if it's really worth it at normal price.

What I can say is that it's a one time purchase rather than being periodic like Splashtop, and it's been very good at adapting to varying quality of connections for the PC (from lovely slow wifi to ridiculously fast ethernet) and phone (I was able to handle some things adequately on low bars 3G service, as well as having an excellent experience with LTE).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Maybe those of you who have suddenly got less surveys should double check that location history reporting is still enabled. Sometimes it gets disabled during a major upgrade.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Syrinxx posted:

Sure as poo poo, mine was toggled off for my MXP, proably since the Android M update. Thanks!

No prob! It's happened to me a bunch around major OS upgrades and phone changes, so now I check it religously.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Daily Forecast posted:

I've been getting them only very occasionally, but I leave my GPS off whenever I'm not actually using it.

Turning off the GPS radio isn't really advisable. If an app constantly hogs it, you need to just disable that app instead.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Daily Forecast posted:

I don't need Google knowing exactly where I am all the time, y'know

You do if you want to be paid for it in reward credits. Also they know where you are from the cell tower triangulation and wifi stuff anyway so the cows are out of the barn there.

Uthor posted:

Why not? I use GPS maybe once a month. Though I guess I use it a few times a week when I bike during the summer.

Because it's not accomplishing anything of worth to turn it off. Just let it be enabled.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Uthor posted:

But it's not accomplishing anything of worth being left on, either. I still don't see why it's inadvisable to turn off a function that isn't being used 99.97% of the time.

Because there's no reason to change from the default, and the default is to leave it on. Why, specifically, are you turning it off? Why will you not just leave it on the next time you turn it on?

As stated before, if you're doing it because you have some application that repeatedly calls on it and drains battery, what you should be doing is removing the offending app.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ijii posted:

Are there any free apps that will play NFL audio commentary? I hate football, but better to have an audio play by play over speaker than have coworkers constantly whipping out there cell phone for score updates. Definitely prefer one that doesn't require registration.

Find a regular radio station that plays the sports commentary for NFL games, and then hunt down their matching app. For instance the CBS Radio app will cover you for a station that's in their network if it's in any of the major radio markets, others might be on TuneIn Radio. And if you can't find a matching app, usually their website will have a stream link that will work directly in browser.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thermopyle posted:

I wonder if when you control for high-end vs budget phones, that still holds up. (by "that" I mean Android users spending less on apps)

I find it really hard to spend a lot on apps, considering so many Android apps are free. And many apps that cost money, cost less than on iOS.

So it isn't exactly surprising that less money is made from direct purchases, when so many things are free or cheap on android, and paid or more expensive on iOS.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I'd love to have SwiftKey be the basis of Microsoft's text prediction stuff in Windows products. It works so well.

DeaconBlues posted:

My first thought, as an open source enthusiast, is "oh, no!".

SwiftKey was closed source as gently caress though, and it was even paid only for most of the time it was around? The about page int he app mentions open-source licenses, but that's for things they were using, the product itself was closed source.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

flatluigi posted:

yyyep, looks like it's blocked. Any chance of a rooted solution?

Usually the way to go will be installing like Cyanogenmod, if you're already going tot he trouble of rooting.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

flatluigi posted:

What's a good tablet IRC client? I'm currently using Yaaic which was okay but it doesn't seem to want to stay connected when it's not the active app, which is really dumb for a chat program. One with a channel changer in a side pane on the screen like mIRC would be preferable

AndChat will do that on a tablet.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Require More Fire posted:

Yeah, this has been my primary complain about Maps since the beginning of time. Once it decides that this is the Holy Route That Thou Shalt Take, it will do everything in it's power to put you on that route no matter how many times you re-route or ignore it.

There are two paths to get to a nearby town that I have to go to a lot, and I prefer the 2nd, slower route because there's less merging and traffic. Despite me taking this route for years, and always ignoring Google or re-routing it, to this day it will loving try as hard as it can to get me onto the first route until there's no choice left but to go with my selection.

Waze is much better about learning and sticking to a preferred route.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Does it still look like it was drawn with a box of crayola's by Michael J Fox?

I don't know, you tell me:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cubicle gangster posted:

Anyone know of a remote desktop type app for android, where someone could run it and control someone elses phone?
It's for a presentation tool we've developed as an app, it's going to be handed off for people to use but we want the brokers who own the devices to be able to drive them remotely too.
We're eventually going to work on a custom solution but right now something quick and dirty like this would work fine. phones will always be in close proximity. They'll both be s6 or s7's.

Can you root the target phone to be controlled? If so, there are many VNC server apps out there, which work varying amounts of OK.

There's also the "TeamViewer Host" app that is supposed to be able to do it without root, but for some people it will only do view only for the phone? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teamviewer.host.market&hl=en

Worth a try at any rate.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Squish posted:

Aren't you the last bit uncomfortable about your personal information and conversations being stored and kept by companies, probably indefinitely, without any scrutiny or oversight?

You know they can already do that with your texts right?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

tarbrush posted:

What's the hive mind preferred adblocker for Android/chrome?

Use Firefox mobile instead, because it actually has extensions, including ublock origin.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What's a good IRC app?

AndChat works great, but hasn't been updated in a while. It might not run well on newer devices.

That being said, there's not much to update in any IRC app.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

brc64 posted:

There were no continuous audio cues, just the excessively repeating road signs. I mean, it's not hurting anything, but it seems kind of weird. I don't remember it doing that before, but I went on another road trip yesterday where it happened again.

I had that bug on Google Maps back in like 2010, and never since. No idea what could have broken now to do the same thing.

What happens if you choose to do "offline maps" for the area that's in, or if you refresh an existing offline map area?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OgNar posted:

I have been sitting on $2.42 in Rewards since November and haven't got a single survey since then.
No idea why.

Do you have your location history enabled?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Taffer posted:

When will the world finally release their death grip on texting as a primary form of communication

When there's some other text message service that's insalled on literally all working phones.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mikl posted:

Is there a way to share a PC's internet connection to an android phone over USB? I'm thinking specifically for situations where you have to use a public wi-fi hotspot that costs money but you need to use it on your PC for work-related reasons, but still want to check whatsapp and the like (without having to pay twice).

This should work on recent devices: http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/73168/how-to-use-pcs-internet-on-android-phone-through-usb-cable

You may need to flash a custom ROM if your current phone software doesn't support it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

Is there any sort of all in on fitness app? I am looking for something that kind of would be like using mapmyrun and myfitnesspal all rolled in to one.

I'm not sure of all of the features of those two apps, but Google Fit does a lot of what both of those do.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Budgie posted:

Quite right too, it's a dying technology and several orders of magnitude more expensive for the end user.

You should try getting a new phone plan instead of continuing to use the plan you got in 2004. The big carriers practically force you to take unlimited messaging these days and have for a while.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

wolfbiker posted:

Just realized I haven't had a survey pop up in MONTHS.

Check that reporting location history is still enabled, it sometimes get disabled.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Uthor posted:

Anyone using Google Fit? I find that it's super unreliable since the semi-recent makeover. It rarely automatically detects biking accurately. When it does, it'll say that I biked like 0.25 miles when I actually did 8, then give me an average speed of 0.25 mph. (Thankfully, Strava works fine and it overrides the Google Fit data). The timeline almost never matches the data on the home screen and takes forever (or hours) to update. It'll even give me vastly different information if I check it minutes apart and things like Active Time and Distance don't match each other.

Do you have the phone in your pants pocket or on a more stationary mount like a holder on the bike or even a shirt/jacket pocket? For whatever reason it only wants to detect biking at all when it's in a pants pocket and getting jostled around for me.

I end up using the old Google My Tracks app for actually tracking the bike riding since it isn't so picky about things, even though I then go back and add the information to Fit for the times it refuses to detect, even when i have it in my pocket.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LastInLine posted:

Anyone mentioning data caps as a way to hang on to SMS is just wrong, messaging uses so little data as to be completely negligible. The only time I could see SMS being preferable in any way to a real messaging service is in the case of spotty data coverage (but even then maybe you should consider getting yourself a carrier that works for your use case).

I'm sure there are plenty of people who use SMS every day but it's horrible trash and I'm well aware that lots of people love trash. Personally I'm glad to be mostly rid of it for all of the reasons FunOne just outlined.

SMS is only going to be dead when there's another new messaging format that's universally available on every phone that can still connect to the cell network. Until then, most people in most countries are going to keep using SMS, because everything has SMS, even your weird cousin who uses a phone from 1997 has SMS.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Waze does a good job of marking where your car was when you closed the app, after using it for directions.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RandomPauI posted:

Are there any apps or app launchers that'd be good for seniors who want to use their smart phones? My mom can get really confused during times of stress and anxiety so it's really important that they're intuitive.

The most important thing is to just get them a large phone, so the icons and text are large and easy to read/understand without putting on reading glasses or something. And it also helps because it gives them wider touch targets to hit.

As far as launchers go though, Nova Launcher's backup/restore of launcher icon locations is rather easy to use, which can help a great deal if someone gets easily confused when icons move about.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

baka kaba posted:

That doesn't affect Android though right?

Wouldn't be surprised if it's related to Chromium on the desktop because Chrome does hella disk writes all the time. I restarted yesterday to update it and it's already written 5GB of who knows what to profile storage. It's been happening for years too

isn't this the same sort of thing people were bitching about with firefox where it actually turned out significantly less data writing actually happened on the drive?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

jokes posted:

Is Netguard cool and good? I really like the concept and it seems to work just fine but does it do something like monitor all my traffic and spies on me or something?

It does monitor your attempted traffic as part of doing what it does, but there's no indication it's sending the info out to any remote servers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Any recommendations for an Android emulator on Windows?

ie: a Windows software that will emulate an Android phone, not an emulator that runs on Android.

Bluestacks is by far the easiest to use, though what it really is is Android ported to x86 running in a separate window. A few applications won't work (but only a very few, the vast majority of popular apps work fine) because they rely on native code, and it doesn't replicate the hardware of any particular Android phone.

You can get it here, it's free to use normally http://www.bluestacks.com/

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CLAM DOWN posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the point of an Android emulator if it's not truly emulating Android?

It's a full Android system that runs Android apps. It's not emulating Android, because it IS Android. It's not emulating any particular phone's hardware though, so apps that rely on specific hardware generally can't run - but those are fairly rare these days.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CLAM DOWN posted:

If it's ported to x86 though it's not.

Uh, how does that make sense to you? It's literally Android running on a different CPU type than most Android devices do, but there's been quite a few x86 Android devices in the past.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Firefox for Android has full extension support, including uBlock Origin. So you can block things that are on the same domains as things you actually want to get.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Oryp posted:

Since you all are talking about this, there is no way to modify the host file without rooting, correct? I'm assuming you need root for anything that could touch it, but that is really unfortunate.

If you're not rooted, you have to run things through a fake VPN done by an app to make use of a modifiable hosts file. This will work with every device though.

If you are rooted, you can skip using one of those apps and just modify the system's hosts file directly.

Either way, you're able to make use of the benefits of blocking out annoyance servers in the hosts file.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zerilan posted:

Anything notably good in terms of ad detection poo poo? Haven't installed anything new in awhile but recently started getting full screen pop-up ads randomly including when using awful app and on the home screen, and can't tell what's causing it.

A few years ago I used this app for this purpose: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.denper.addonsdetector&hl=en

It'll look through all your applications and tell you which ones are able to do things like push notification ads and poo poo like that. I used it back then because all of a sudden I started getting those things, and the culprit was some random game that must have been bought out by someone, and so was able to remove the offending app.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Roseo posted:

Just got a OnePlus 3T, nonplussed by the notification sounds. What's a good app to preview/get a curated list that won't give me phone aids?

You should be able to just preview all the suitable sounds in the system menus. No need for an app.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Roseo posted:

Aware of that. I mean, I'm not finding any that I like in the stock phone. I need to add some more. They're too high pitched over all and I don't hear them well due to my hearing loss at higher frequencies. I miss them too easily. So I need to add some and I haven't had to do that on previous phones because I've found suitable ones. So I'm looking for an app that lets me preview them and add them to the phone to use.

They're just sound files, and they can be stored in any folder on the phone, though a lot of people prefer to put them in a Ringtones folder. You should be able to just plug your phone in by USB to your computer and drag them over after you try playing a few through your computer. Maybe even if just copy the various notification sounds from your computer's OS if they sound ok to you.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LastInLine posted:

Dark themes are terrible though.

Nah.

LastInLine posted:

Only nerds like them and normals all prefer easy-to-read, aesthetically pleasing dark text on a bright field with colorful UI elements.

Nope. Stop projecting your nerd tastes and assuming that's what a normal person wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CLAM DOWN posted:

Weird, almost all my friends have it, with the exception of a half dozen or so holdouts. I'm sure it's also a regional thing, some places in Europe literally everyone has it. In the Netherlands you could even add companies/stores to WhatsApp.

Well it's by far more common in places where text rates are still high but data rates are cheap. Or for people who need to do a lot of messaging to other countries, which is often expensive no matter where you are if you do it by regular SMS.

For instance, a lot of my extended family only uses WhatsApp to talk with my one cousin who's on an extended trip in South America, where he doesn't even get real cell service a lot of time because of how he's traveling and where. But he can still get wifi access most nights and talk then.