Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

When this is all said and done someone should do a quick LP of Infinity, because it's literally just the cool parts from every AC game the preceded it, blended together until smooth, and splattered onto the real world. It's glorious.

EDIT: It sure as poo poo isn't going to be me, though, because I can vouch as a failed AC04 LPer myself that this game is really hard to comment over. Pretty much every game mechanic is introduced in the first mission, and even if you think of new things to talk about, you're still competing with some ridiculously chatty wingmen, enemies, AWACS, and sometimes even civilian radio.

EDIT 2: That said I am totally down to co-comment if you're looking. Especially once you get your hands on the F-15C. :911: :swoon:

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

YOTC posted:

I refuse to spend my hard grind-ed $ on the campaign missions for infinity.

You can buy an unlimited Campaign pack and play them to your heart's content. Problem is, there's only 8 of them, they haven't released any new ones in a year and will certainly charge more for them if they ever do, and right now the game ends on a gigantic loving cliffhanger.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Probably my favorite piece of AC fanart:

:black101:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

10 months for the best game in the series. Just let that sink in everybody. 10 months. :stonklol:

To be fair, it uses the same engine as Ace Combat 5 and recycles a lot of assets. I imagine the limited timeframe is the reason behind the live-action cutscenes too.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Yeah but, well, am I the only one who thinks the live cutscenes actually work better than the still-frames of AC4 or the animated ones of AC5?

I kinda think 04's still frames work best. (Although I'm sure we'll talk about it at length if when the LP gets there. The CGI in 5 hasn't aged well at all, and let's be honest, the acting in Zero can be pretty lovely. It hasn't been all that bad so far, but I'm looking specifically at you, Rot 1.

Night10194 posted:

'everything needs planes. Planes are awesome'

Truer words have never been spoken. :colbert:

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 22, 2015

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

ZoninSilver posted:

This is the only Strangereal AC game I've played, so definitely looking forward to the others! That said, I love this one so much a rewatch is going to be quite enjoyable as well, considering things like the camera lock on your target was a thing I never realized was possible back when I played it!

That said, a small correction on orders, you tried to get Pixy to "cover" a far away point to keep him from taking kills, but what "cover" actually does is have him stick to you like glue to cover you from approaching enemy planes, where some of the other orders will have him split from you to attack more independently.

You know, after watching the ribbon replay at the end of the level, I was pretty impressed by how close Pixy actually stayed on your wing and covered your six. When I played Zero and 5 I almost always set my wingmen on Attack or Disperse but if I ever play them again I might try using Cover, because it seems like he got a fair amount of kills doing so.

I was also surprised that in Zero, Pixy's kills actually took away from your score. because in 5 it was the opposite. Of course, those wingmen were loving useless peacenik hippies, even if there were three of them...

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Psion posted:

He did and the continuing lack of an F-8 in any Ace Combat game is a crime. :colbert:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Mo' missiles mo' problems.

"You got it, fam" -Project Aces

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Calax posted:

Isn't the reason we still have cannons on fighters basically come down to "Nam"?

As in, for early versions of the F4 they removed the cannon, only to have it proven in a dogfight where they stuck a gunpod on a hardpoint, that the gun allowed them to take down VC fighters that were getting lost in IR noise from the jungle or some such?

Coffeehitler posted:

Since the missiles of the day were only mildly reliable, and Soviet aircraft had guns, we found that we needed to re-add guns to our air superiority fighters; which became the E/J model with some additional improvements. However, there was at least USAF one squadron of F-4Cs (I think they were C drivers) that specialized in gun runs on troops that flew with all available hardpoints toting 20mm gun pods.

Basically, the F-4 was designed around shooting down bandits from beyond visual range with the AIM-4 Sparrow (represented in this game by the SAAM!), but the American ROE in Vietnam almost always required visual contact before engaging. This made the Sparrow basically useless and forced the Phantoms into close-in knifefights with MiG-17s and -21s, which excelled at it. Eventually the US started improving the close-range Sidewinder and installing gunpods on the F-4, along with specifically training elite pilots in dogfighting (in between greased-up volleyball matches, anyway) with the hope that they would pass on the knowledge to their squadron.

The first Phantom with an internal cannon was the F-4E, which is the one in most Ace Combat games. 5 and Infinity also have the F-4G, which was designed to bait and destroy enemy radar and SAM sites by essentially playing chicken with them.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I'm totally okay with this thread becoming a PYF :black101: aerial warfare story thread in between updates. Have one of mine, the first and only air-to-air kill by the F-15E Strike Eagle and the only recorded air-to-air kill EVER with a motherfucking bomb :

quote:

Strike Eagles were able to destroy 18 Iraqi jets on the ground at Tallil air base using GBU-12s and CBU-87s. On 14 February, an F-15E scored its only air-to-air kill: a Mil Mi-24 helicopter. While responding to a request for help by US Special Forces, five Iraqi helicopters were spotted. The lead F-15E of two acquired a helicopter via its FLIR in the process of unloading Iraqi soldiers, and released a GBU-10 bomb. The F-15E crew thought the bomb had missed its target and were preparing to use a Sidewinder when the helicopter was destroyed. The Special Forces team estimated that the Hind was roughly 800 feet (240 m) over the ground when the 2,000 lb (910 kg) bomb hit its target.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F-15E_Strike_Eagle#Operations_Desert_Shield_and_Desert_Storm

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Has there literally ever been any series in any medium that's better enjoyed in chronological order versus release order?

For the first time, that is. Once you already know what happens in other entries the order matters a lot less.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Indeed, it does:

• Fox One: Indicates launch of a semi-active radar-guided missile (such as the AIM-7 Sparrow)
  • Fox Two: Indicates launch of an infrared-guided missile (such as the AIM-9 Sidewinder)
  • Fox Three: Indicates launch of an active radar-guided missile (such as the AIM-120 AMRAAM and AIM-54 Phoenix)
  • Fox Four: Historical term indicating air-to-air or air-to-surface cannon fire. The term in current usage is Guns, Guns, Guns

The AWACS will definately say "Fox Two", "Fox Three", and "Fox One" on occasion depending on your special weapons armament. Other missiles also use other NATO fire confirmation codes as well.

Other codewords you'll hear during this game, in no particular order:

Pickle: Indicates the launch of an unguided bomb
Magnum: Indicates the launch of an air-to-ground missile specifically, an anti-radiation missile, like the AGM-88 HARM
Winchester: out of ammo

Bogey: unknown aircraft
Bandit: hostile aircraft

Vector, followed by a number between 0 and 359- indicates heading, with 0 being north, 090 east, 180 south, 270 west. For example, if the AWACS says "bandits at vector zero-four-five", that means you've got incoming enemy planes from the northeast*. This is different from the clock system, as in "bandits at 3 o'clock" which refers to your individual left/right, not cardinal directions. 12 o'clock is dead ahead, 6 o'clock is behind you.

Angels: indicates altitude in units of 1000 feet above sea level. "Bandits at angels 10" means that there are enemy aircraft at 10,000 feet.

*That said, I think Eagle Eye only specifies heading rounded to the nearest 10. SkyEye in 04 did, anyway.

EDIT: AC6 introduces the fictional DRIVE and SLASH, but we'll get there eventually.

EDIT 2: AH, gently caress it, here's a big-rear end list of them.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 1, 2015

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Lunethex posted:

Ace Combat 7 announced for PS4. There's a video but it was taken down.

Features "VR Support" too, apparently.

I haven't turned my PS4 on in like 8 months but if it's in Strangereal I might have a reason.

Pause it at 00:43, that Raptor definitely has the Osean roundel on its wing.

EDIT: Hot drat, and according to r/acecombat the Flanker is Erusean. Welp, guess I'm buying a PS4 then.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Good news, my Christmas gift to myself finally arrived!

Now ask me if I know the first thing about modeling :shepicide:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Kadorhal posted:

Also, as I mentioned, I'm playing along with the LP now. Doing a new game as a Mercenary ace on Hard difficulty, and not upgrading to any new planes until I save up enough for a certain late-game fighter the game gives you a third of the way through.

I know exactly which plane you're talking about, and even if you go full-on Mercenary and save every dime you have you can't actually afford it until several mission after it unlocks. :(

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Skwerl posted:

Sup AC kit buddy.....this guy arrived too and I dont know poo poo about miniature building either...
I started with the Galm 1 F-15 and already got a drip of cement on the exterior :smithicide:

I was seriously considering this one, but only if they had a 1/144 prepainted Mobius 1 Raptor (or maybe Yellow 4) to go with it. Godspeed, fellow modeling nugget. When you finish building it, please include yourself wearing that awesome helmet in the picture.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Skwerl posted:

Ninjahedgehog, I was playing with my Cipher kit earlier and what I found is that these pre-painted kits are very good for weathering/further detailing.
I tried some tamiya weathering kit along with water color pencil, sakura pigma micron pen, and then did some washes with 70% ethanol on q-tips. I got some pretty good result so far.

Yeah, that does look pretty good, but this is literally the first kit I've ever made since a couple of SnapTites when I was a 10 years old and no loving way am I risking it. I'm buying a cheapass kit this weekend to practice my gluing on.

What sort of missile loadout are you planning on? I'm thinking two Sidewinders and two QAAMS under the wings and then the four AMRAAMs underneath the fuselage, but I haven't decided on the external fuel tanks yet. Each Eagle comes with four Sparrows too, but for some reason they're unpainted.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 12, 2015

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

I'm pretty sure you can buy those and then make the rest somehow. Wouldn't surprise me if there are guides for it somewhere at least at some scale modeller community.

Doing all that at 1/144 sounds insane though. At that scale, a 6-foot tall man is about the size of Lincoln's head on a penny.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

GhostStalker posted:

I've forgotten when planes unlock, and a brain fart isn't letting me recall off the top of my head which planes from the game would fit the bill in this case. Just stick it behind spoiler tags or whatever if you don't want to post it in the open here in the thread.

Su-37 Terminator. You unlock it after defeating Gelb Squadron and it outclasses pretty much everything in the game except for possibly the Raptor, Berkut and the fictional superplanes.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Kadorhal posted:

And while we're at it I still need to check if the LASM also gets a proper brevity code rather than just sharing Fox Three.

Curious: What would the proper code for a LASM be? Wikipedia says "Bruiser" for air-launched Harpoons, but doesn't specify if that's the actual launch code or just what you call it in flight, i.e. "Galm 1 just fired two bruisers."

EDIT: :goonsay:

GhostStalker posted:

From last page, but I could've sworn I've heard AWACS Thunderhead calling "Magnum" before on an air to ground missile special weapon use before in Ace Combat 5. It's the details like that which make me love this series even more. Being a really run semi-realistic arcade-y flight sim that's really fun and kinda makes you get into the (semi-ridiculous over the top) plot and storylines somewhat also helps quite a lot!

Yeah, he definitely does. I can't remember if Skyeye or Eagle Eye do the same.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 14, 2015

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Night10194 posted:

What. Are you saying there's an Ace Combat that lets you slam a P47 into a satellite?

No, but in Infinity you can slam a P-38 into a satellite!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

IronSaber posted:

The A-10 is great and anyone who thinks otherwise can go BBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT themselves.

Someone in the TFR Cold War thread described the sound as "a roaring zipper-fart at ten billion decibels" and I couldn't agree more. :black101:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Out of curiosity, would it possible to restart production of the F-22 if the DOD changed their mind? Are the manufacturing tools in storage somewhere?

EDIT: Has my above hypothetical ever happened before? Meaning, has production of a major piece of military equipment ever completely stopped cold and then restarted years later?

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 22, 2015

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

As someone in the Cold War TFR thread said during the discussion JcDent mentioned the US Marine corps involvement is a really potent weapon because their demands for the F-35 has hosed things up for multiple countries in a side-effect.

Isn't the Royal Navy also partially to blame? Theoretically, the DOD could tell the Navy's Army's Air Force to gently caress off back to the kid's table but the Brits do actually need a STOVL (short take-off, vertical landing) fighter because their carriers don't have catapults.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 22, 2015

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Kadorhal posted:

I'm gonna have to agree with Aces here, the F-5E is actually pretty sweet.

I think it's the twin revolver-cannons in the nose. There's something about them I just really love.

It (and its cousins the F-20 and X-29) , the Hornet, and the Morgan are the only planes in the game where you can actually see your gun's muzzle flash from the cockpit view, which is cool as hell.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

destitute posted:

You guys have mentioned in the videos and the thread a few times how much more money the Mercenary playthrough has available - is it to the point that a mercenary can buy all the aircraft and special weapons as they show up or is there ever a point where the cost of the planes/weapons outstrips how much you're making?

The latter, because the order planes are unlocked in this game is totally funky (like getting the Terminator a third of the way through). In most other AC games you could, but only by selling everything else you had, because super-expensive powerful planes like the Raptor or Berkut only showed up near the very end when you had 18 mission's worth of cash to blow.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Psion posted:

You're saying this based on what, exactly...?

It will come later than anyone wants at a higher cost than anyone wants, but the EMC is not an insurmountable problem. I mean nice burn (tying in the RN was a good touch) but the Ford will, eventually, be a functioning carrier.

Honestly, the Ford's greatest sin is its dumb loving name. The pride of the United States Navy, the centerpiece of its fleets, and the single largest symbol of America's staggering wealth and overwhelming military might for the next half-century.... named after a guy who was President for two years and is mostly remembered for falling down a lot. Why, oh why, couldn't they have named the first ship the Enterprise?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

The Casualty posted:

It's not an entirely dumb name if you consider that Gerald Ford was also a decorated Navy veteran of WWII... Even if one of his defining moments was almost falling off his destroyer during "Halsey's Typhoon" in 1944 :laugh:. Most of the other Presidents who have ships named after them were in the Navy at one point or another, and the ones who weren't still measurably contributed to the Naval Service through their policies as politicians.

Or they're just that badass, like Washington or Lincoln. Honestly, I don't mind Ford as the name for an individual carrier (although I agree with a previous poster that naming them after people is silly to begin with, if you ask me they ought to switch naming rules with submarines) I just dislike that they named the first one the Ford because it's now the Gerald R. Ford-class. Enterprise-class would have been way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Skwerl posted:

Happy 10th birthday Ace Combat Zero :unsmith:

Listen here you dumb poo poo Cipher and Pixy never went to Avalon together in the same plane, and furthermore the GPS coordinates are off by twenty minutes north and the F-15C carries AMRAAMs or Sparrows underneath its fuselage, not Sidewinders and where are the shock diamonds on the afterburners and you probably just took the kanji for a California Roll why would you even make it AC themed if you can't respect the canon

Kidding, this completely owns and is my new desktop.

• Locked thread