Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

tl;dr: I probably picked the most singularly complex Ace Combat game to start this franchise LP on :suicide:
Yes you did. :v:
Here's hoping that regardless of this you manage to overcome the Ace Combat LP curse and succesfully complete this, because it's one of my (and many others') favourite Ace Combat games.
The other being AC5, unsurprisingly.

Cooked Auto posted:

You know I'd love to but the problem is that back when I did them I used the fact that blip didn't really care too much about the music copyrights like YT does and that makes it hard to upload them anywhere without pretty much all of them being muted. I have all the footage still but there's no real place for me to upload them.
Had I the will for it I'd probably want to redo them all for YT and this time remember to turn on subtitles for HAWX2 from the start.
You could always upload them as unlisted and have them linked through the LPArchive? Maybe that might be enough to make it harder for Youtube to mute/take them down. :shobon:

radintorov fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Crigit posted:

You will find bombs a lot easier to use if you use high speed diving attacks rather than low speed level attacks.

Kibayasu posted:

Or just being higher in general, lets you see much easier where the reticule is in relation to any targets.
Pretty much this: the bomb will always land where the CCIP pipper is when dropping them and the splash radius they have is pretty generous. While UGBs are pretty basic, they are reliable and when flying high can be used to hit targets that are further than someone would think he'd be able to reach. :)

radintorov fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 22, 2015

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Samovar posted:

What's the typical payload of missiles in fighter jets?
Between 2 and 8 depending on the plane.
The F-22 can in theory carry up to 12 air-to-air missiles, but that would require it to carry them on external hardpoints which is not something that the USAF is going to do since it would screw up with their otherwise tiny radar cross-section.

Edit:

nine-gear crow posted:

Generally, plane-on-plane engagements use their machine guns more than missiles in engagements, but the actual air force people here probably are better sources to talk about that than me.
Gunfights in the modern era are practically unheard of due to the accuracy and range of modern air-to-air missiles. That being said, the various air forces do train in cannon engagements since you never know when you might end up in one and it allows the pilots to better learn what maneuvers their aircrafts can pull in an emergency
\/\/\/\/\/

radintorov fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 22, 2015

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Weren't those cancelled after a freak storm killed the crew of one of them, including the admiral who had both managed to save US Naval Aviation and advocated for 'everything needs planes. Planes are awesome'?
Don't know about an admiral dying, but the Macon was indeed lost with all hands during a storm and found only years later.
Research Indicates did a video on it a few years ago as part of a bonus video for his (sadly abandoned) Crimson Skies LP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoVXId0OhNY

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

JcDent posted:

Then again, HAWX had its own version of crazy, with mercenaries taking on the US because Tom Clancy.
The best part is that not only the whole "mercenary conquers chunks of the US" is dumb, but that Artemis had every right to be pissed at the US government getting involved! :v:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Two notes about the things discussed in the first video about AC5:
-you are the one that chooses what of the possible two missions you are assigned :v
-I remember being shocked playing one mission where I heard for the first time ever a wingman (the competent Archer mentioned by Kadorhal) telling me that he dropped a laser-guided bomb and he had the target designated with his laser. I had no idea my wingmen had more dialogue than what you usually hear. :psyduck:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I have to admit to love how the citizens of the town ringing the bells of the sectors you liberate. :shobon:

The A-10 is a pretty interesting plane: when not carrying a full payload, it is surprisingly nimble at low altitude, though it lacks the engine power of other planes so it can't sustain its agility, and has a series of reduntant control systems to allow it to fly back to friendly lines if heavily damaged, with one pilot even managing to land his plane in such a mode; aside from its titanium tub protecting the pilot from ground fire, the engine nacelles are positioned in such a way that they are shielded by the wings when approaching a target can take a beating before giving out and the landing gear is designed so that the two wheels under the wings stick out so that it can perform a belly landing much more safely than other planes.
Finally the Pentagon has always hated the A-10 and they've tried to phase it out pretty much since it came into service, but every time they seem to get close, something happens where this plane shines: first it was the 1990-1 Gulf War where with the assistance of spotters (both airborne and ground-based) it could bring its considerable armament to bear on the Iraqi forces living up to its design as a tank killer; later on the War on Terror happened and the A-10 (upgraded to the -C model) was again employed extensively in Afghanistan, since it turns out that an aircraft designed to stay in the air for hours, is equipped with a very accurate and terrifying 30mm gatling cannon, can carry large payloads plus an advanced targeting pod and is designed to survive against concentrated small arms fire is perfectly tailored to an asymmetrical warfare scenario.
And besides:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

This is untrue. The "Pentagon hates the A-10" thing is a myth promulgated by certain army partisans and congressmen, particularly John McCain, whose state is host to a large A-10 contingent at Davis-Monthan. Quelle surprise. Did you know the current Chief of Staff of the Air Force is an A-10 pilot?
This is the first time I've heard that it's a myth, since most of the sources I found over the years keep claiming that it is the truth. But I wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong, given how these things work. :shobon:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Ask the Iranians and the Syrians :)
I believe the F-22s are currently stationed in Alaska, Saudi Arabia and Nevada, right?
I do also recall reading about one time a few years back where Iranian fighters scrambled to intercept a US UAV were intercepted themselves by a flight of Raptors as a show of force.

Dead Reckoning posted:

The F-22 was built with a requirement to internally carry 2x 1000lb JDAM specifically because it's intended as a night 1 DEAD asset.
It also has the capability of carrying multiple SDBs in its internal bay and I believe has a smaller RCS than the F-117, allowing it in theory to carry out the same missions without all the downsides of the Nighthawk.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

I say that the AC-130 segment in ACAH was better than the one in HAWX2. :colbert:
Unlike the one in HAWX (or any other game featuring one, really) it's actually challenging and requires paying attention.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

I still want to believe that if it wasn't for Marines still dreaming of Henderson field and demanding VTOL I'm sure the 35 would be a competent plane.
But that would at the same time require LockMart not to be corrupt assholes.
I will say that the concept of the F-35B is not a bad one, since the one organic fixed-wing asset the USMC has is the Harrier and the Lightning II would be more capable in theory just thanks to the improved avionics, not to mention that it would allow other nations with navies that operate the Harrier to have a more advanced plane to use. And since it is a copy of the russian Yak-141, VTOL was always a factor.
Unfortunately the people in charge of this project are incompetent and corrupt, so this is why it's currently a massive (and very expensive) joke. :v:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Koorisch posted:

So what's the reason why so many countries are buying the F-35 again?

nine-gear crow posted:

The US bullying other nations defense ministries into it rather than the (vastly superior) Typhoon.
Also likely a lot of bribes, something that Lockheed has been known for in the past. :v:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Are you sure that the Comanche was meant as a replacement for the Apache and not the Kiowa/Warrior?
Also what Brunom1 said about the Apache missions in AH. :v:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Psion posted:

bonus points if you actually remember Crenshaw's callsign, which was used. Uh. Once? Never?
Wasn't it "Shade"?
I'd look it up, but this being HAWX we are talking about, ehh :effort:

Though I have to correct you: they had two good levels rather than one: Tokio was also a really fun level with a massive furball at the start and completely different characters (no CRENSHAW there).

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Wouldn't the fact that aircrafts can be basically considered to be flying faraday cages be enough to shield most of the internal avionics from an explosion that's not right on top of them even if they aren't specifically hardened against EMP effects?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

GhostStalker posted:

Wasn't there a story from Persian Gulf 1 or something where an F-15E got a bomb kill on a helicopter as it was taking off? Of course, that was likely a laser guided bomb, and not a UGB, and a helicopter just taking off is a different target than a huge aerial flying fortress, but I guess it's somewhat similar in that it's a bomb kill from the air?
Yup, in 1991 an F-15E splashed a Hind gunship with a 2000 pounds laser-guided bomb: a few Mi-24s dropped some troops near a position held by Special Forces, and the Strike Eagle dropped the bomb while the targeted helo was still on the ground; however, it took off while the bomb was still gliding, and while the crew was pretty sure that it was going to be a miss they still kept the laser on it and it actually hit.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Dreamsicle posted:

Wait was the SR-71 only in some special recon stealth mission or could it actually conduct combat operations?
Unarmed reconnaissance only.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Dreamsicle posted:

I mean in HAWX.
Ah, sorry. :downs:
No, in HAWX it's basically a plane like any other except maybe its top speed is slightly higher than usual.
Not that it's easy to tell given how Flight Assist On flight works in that game. (ie: not very well :v: )

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

:siren::siren::siren: A U D I E N C E | P A R T I C I P A T I O N | T I M E :siren::siren::siren:
Do the final mission in the Mig-21bis. :colbert:

I would suggest doing it in the A-10, but I already did it and the Mig-21 is one of the few planes I didn't try to use for that. :v:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Skwerl posted:

Actually, I think a while ago I thought I saw someone literally downed acz's final boss fight with UGB.

The same was also doable in Assault Horizon as well...

Edit: I found the ACZ ugb clearing on youtube. SPOILER WARNING!!!!!
While not the UGB specifically, it's still insanely impressive how he managed to clear those levels with unguided bombs. :stare:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

paragon1 posted:

Change "Cipher's" to "Belka's" and keep it updated through all the games.
Given how Belka and their technology keeps popping up, I support this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Skwerl posted:

Happy 10th birthday Ace Combat Zero :unsmith:

Man, that is awesome. :magical:

• Locked thread