Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
This show's awesome. Fight scenes are off the chain, very skillful, stylish and elaborate. The whole thing's nicely shot and looks great. The plot and world-building are interesting enough and certainly have the potential to develop into something compelling. Characters aren't particularly well developed at this stage but they get the job done. It's keeping my interest between the amazing fight scenes which are obviously the main attraction. And seriously who cares about a few different words they use in their world? If that's your complaint you're just looking for things to nitpick about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Digital Comic if you just happen to give a gently caress: http://www.amc.com/shows/into-the-badlands/exclusives/digital-comic

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

This show's awesome. Fight scenes are off the chain, very skillful, stylish and elaborate. The whole thing's nicely shot and looks great. The plot and world-building are interesting enough and certainly have the potential to develop into something compelling. Characters aren't particularly well developed at this stage but they get the job done. It's keeping my interest between the amazing fight scenes which are obviously the main attraction. And seriously who cares about a few different words they use in their world? If that's your complaint you're just looking for things to nitpick about.

I've only seen the pilot but I think this show has a lot of potential to move into the Spartacus/Strike Back/Banshee territory with combining great action scenes and a fast paced plot.

It's not going to win any critics over but it's still going to make good viewing.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
All three of those shows had/have great actors and amazing characters.

This has the Widow, who i would watch do her thing for the whole season.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This isn't anywhere close to Banshee's level of badass fights.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Rhyno posted:

This isn't anywhere close to Banshee's level of badass fights.

It's a totally different style. Banshee has awesome fight scenes but this has very elaborate martial arts on a whole other level.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Rhyno posted:

I gave it the entire first episode and it's just terrible. And this is coming from someone who made it through every single episode of HELIX.

If you made it through Helix there is something wrong with you.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

I hate it when sci-fi tries to inject its own terminology into the setting. Frack and other curses are fun because they're just a way to get past the swear filters and FCC. But Clippers? Regents? Colts? It seems like none of the other words are different save the nouns, so what's the point? They're colts for the sake of being colts (when really they're just apprentices), clippers for the sake of being clippers (when they're really assassins), and regents for the sake of being regents.

It's because language evolves constantly, but they would lose a lot of viewers if they made it all clockwork-orange-language-like, so they substitute in words that make sense with how our language is currently structured, but are not the words we normally use, to give us cues that the setting is not a modern-day, real-life setting. And people like re-using old or not often-used slang because it's easier than coming up with a new word and makes them feel cool for knowing it.

Also, while I agree that yeah it can be annoying sometimes, your phrasing makes it hilarious because it reads like "Woah, science fiction is fine, but don't be making up word usage, that's not realistic! Unless you're required to, in which case it's a good thing." I think it usually comes down to the actors' delivery. If they're dropping it in awkwardly, or without the right emotion, then yeah it sounds weird and annoying. If they're using it like it's a natural part of their vocabulary, it's fine.

surc fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 29, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Verisimilidude posted:

I hate it when sci-fi tries to inject its own terminology into the setting. Frack and other curses are fun because they're just a way to get past the swear filters and FCC. But Clippers? Regents? Colts? It seems like none of the other words are different save the nouns, so what's the point? They're colts for the sake of being colts (when really they're just apprentices), clippers for the sake of being clippers (when they're really assassins), and regents for the sake of being regents.

:laugh:

itt our poor vocabulary is revealed.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The fight in the warehouse was pretty good imo.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Banshee fights are brutal, they are pretty different in style but I think both series have great action scenes.

And yeah, Colts is pretty dumb but complaining about regent ?

(Watch Banshee)

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
Dollhouse fits better than some of the other slang

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So since the mythical place where the compass came from is beyond the badlands shouldn't the name of the show be Out of the Badlands?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

For those that don't like it, I'm curious, are you fans of Kung Fu films? I know most people have seen Crouching Tiger, but are you fans of the genera? A lot of complaints about the dialog and delivery are common in those sorts of films so it doesn't bother me. If you are a fan of the genera but it still bothers you in this show, what do you find the difference is?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Rhyno posted:

So since the mythical place where the compass came from is beyond the badlands shouldn't the name of the show be Out of the Badlands?

Oh come now, they'll never find that city and get out of the badlands until the last episode in the last season, just like every other show that teases an end goal that the viewers would want. The majority of the show, assuming it continues, will be about their journey into and through the badlands.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did we discuss the creepy rear end foot the Baron's son has?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Rhyno posted:

Did we discuss the creepy rear end foot the Baron's son has?

Super sexy you mean.

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
Sunny it's such an easy choice just take ol Quinn out behind the barn and clip him and his beard :madmax:

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

What exactly IS that guys accent supposed to be?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
e: Whoops, wrong thread.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So we have cars and motorcycles and selective electricity but we have to use 17th century surgical devices.

And still no gun explanations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

That was a pretty drat great swordfight. Quinn is literally the evil emperor character from every wuxia film ever, just southern.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Fuuuuuuuck, I just noticed.

The Quinn dynasty vs the Chin dynasty. On the one hand, lol pattern recognition, on the other, of course it is. This show is kung-fu as gently caress, in a good way. It's like... Southern Dynasty Warriors.

Maybe that makes Sunny Lu Bu. I dunno.

Rhyno posted:

And still no gun explanations.

Didn't the intro mention they were outlawed by the Barons?

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
This show is fun to watch like 40% of the time: whenever there's fighting and whenever the Widow is on screen :swoon:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OB_Juan posted:

Didn't the intro mention they were outlawed by the Barons?

Drugs are illegal in the United States.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Rhyno posted:

The police won't hunt you down and execute you and your family if

wait

poo poo you're right

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Rhyno posted:

Okay, try this one:

It's a show about Kung-Fu badasses, and not a show about shooty badasses. The one line about guns being outlawed is a throwaway because people would ask about it otherwise. Old cars and rebuilt motorcycles are cool, and get to stay. Plus they're like stagecoaches/sedans/litters/wagons/carriages and horses, so they don't make a huge difference anyway.

Just look at it like a Kung-Fu/Samurai show, but in what we think is the American South. Nobody wants to see Wong Fei-Hong, but with a Glock.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I like Marton Csokas.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PaganGoatPants posted:

I like Marton Csokas.

He was a great badguy in the Equalizer.

OB_Juan posted:

Okay, try this one:

It's a show about Kung-Fu badasses, and not a show about shooty badasses. The one line about guns being outlawed is a throwaway because people would ask about it otherwise. Old cars and rebuilt motorcycles are cool, and get to stay. Plus they're like stagecoaches/sedans/litters/wagons/carriages and horses, so they don't make a huge difference anyway.

Just look at it like a Kung-Fu/Samurai show, but in what we think is the American South. Nobody wants to see Wong Fei-Hong, but with a Glock.

It's just idiotic that guns are outlawed because a half dozen people say so. One sub machine gun would change everything. Maybe some sort of "ooooh, gunpowder is impossible to produce now" would have been better.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Even the most primitive deflagrant takes a whole ton of work to produce. Original black powder was carbon, sulfur and potassium nitrate. All three of these things take a hell of an infrastructure to produce in quantity. Modern smokeless propellants require a depth of chemistry knowledge that these people lighting up opium pipes do not have.

If the people who own everything and control society with their armies of sword wielding thugs don't want gunpowder to exist, they can keep it that way.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

wiegieman posted:

Even the most primitive deflagrant takes a whole ton of work to produce. Original black powder was carbon, sulfur and potassium nitrate. All three of these things take a hell of an infrastructure to produce in quantity. Modern smokeless propellants require a depth of chemistry knowledge that these people lighting up opium pipes do not have.

If the people who own everything and control society with their armies of sword wielding thugs don't want gunpowder to exist, they can keep it that way.

Nothing against you in particular, but I can't believe we're trying to nitpick why guns aren't in this show while a young boy bleeds and turns into a mindless kung fu killing machine.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Nothing against you in particular, but I can't believe we're trying to nitpick why guns aren't in this show while a young boy bleeds and turns into a mindless kung fu killing machine.

This one gets it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

wiegieman posted:

Yea but why not any bows and arrows :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Good thing gasoline is so easy to acquire in this world. And they seem to be able to generate electricity easily enough.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea but why not any bows and arrows :v:

They do? A couple of Quinn's guys were using them on the Widow's guards.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Rhyno posted:

Good thing gasoline is so easy to acquire in this world. And they seem to be able to generate electricity easily enough.

Gas isn't the only thing that could be used and generating electricity IS easy. All it takes is a magnet, copper wire and something to move the magnet or wire, like a windmill. In fact, hooking up a windmill to an electric motor will generate electricity, but not as well as a generator designed to do so.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Gas DOES have a shelf life, though. Unless they're refining new gasoline, they should have run out several years after whatever catastrophe led to this kind of world.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Gonz posted:

Gas DOES have a shelf life, though. Unless they're refining new gasoline, they should have run out several years after whatever catastrophe led to this kind of world.

Yes, but gas engines can run on high proof (and well filtered) ethanol (drinking alcohol).

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

RandomBlue posted:

Yes, but gas engines can ran on high proof (and well filtered) ethanol (drinking alcohol).

You're right; that didn't even occur to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Plus, it's a post-apocalyptic wire-fu action show that takes place on plantations run by hot red-headed ninja women and polygamous southern gentlemen kung-fu masters. I'm not sure why people are trying so hard to nitpick the odd combination of technologies available in magic future druglord kungfu-land.

• Locked thread