Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

PleasureKevin posted:

recently i started using tor about 100% of the time

unfortunately this makes your bank hate you and lock your card constantly because they see you buying/logging in to things from all over the world suddenly.

lol if you think the bank is the only place that flagged you

:nsa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
you have to carry some form of ID in France so it makes sense that they had a fake one. Also I think that the government owns a huge portion of the tor endpoints. It was their project from the start

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

at the date posted:

There was one passport, and it was fake. AFAIK no one knows why he was carrying this passport anyway. It could simply have been an effort to disguise his identity and save his family from reprisal, cover the tracks of terrorists remaining inside France, confuse the investigation, or any one of half a dozen other reasons more plausible than :byodood: FALSE FLAG ILLUMINATI ATTACK :byodood:

nothing to do wiht the illuminati, it's entirely plausible that the attackers wanted to also drive fear of the refugees

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

duTrieux. posted:

nothing to do wiht the illuminati, it's entirely plausible that the attackers wanted to also drive fear of the refugees

(Remotely) plausible, yes, but not nearly as likely as a number of less grandiose reasons a criminal might have for carrying a fake ID.

e:

A bunch of brown people blowing themselves up in Paris is plenty to drive fear of immigrants. Your idea only makes sense to a robot with no understanding of human emotions, as if this single shred of evidence tipped the balance between French people welcoming Muslim refugees and the mass paranoia and xenophobia we're seeing today.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 22, 2015

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Deep within the fastness of his mountain lair, Ef al Baddi smirked to himself in satisfaction at another job well done. His back was stiff through sitting and his arms ached from furious typing. He considered taking a break, but much as Allah never rested in his fight against the Christian God, so must he remain ever vigilant in his battle against the forces of good and freedom. Angry at his own weakness, he leaned forward towards the computer, his twisted, swarthy features reflecting in the Retina display of his MacBook Pro. His eyepatch rubbed against the side of his large and crooked nose and wearily he adjusted it, running his hand through his thick, oily beard before poising his fingers once more above the keyboard like the hordes of Islam poised to sweep into Europe and impose Sharia law on the decadent infidels. His lips pulled back in a cruel smile, revealing teeth like weathered tombstones in a French cemetery. This would show them, he thought, clicking through to his next target. On the monitor a hated American, apparently in his late twenties but with plump, childish features and the pathetic beard of a boy, moved blocks around a poorly rendered fantasy world. From the speakers came the high pitched whine of the youth's incessant chatter. It was almost too easy. Al Baddi began to type with the efficiency and skill learned in his Western computer science degree. Job done, he finally allowed himself to lean back and relax for a moment, ululating under his breath. In the comment box on screen lay the legacy of his evil deed, a string of characters conveying an atrocity as effective as any number of bombers gloriously martyring themselves. "stfu u fag", they read.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

at the date posted:

(Remotely) plausible, yes, but not nearly as likely as a number of less grandiose reasons a criminal might have for carrying a fake ID.

Why make a fake id that says you're a foreign national from the middle east? Oh no no no, I'm Vito Romano, I was born in Sicily, everything is fine with my paperwork, I'll be on my way.

Why fake a ID from a war torn nation known to harbor a major terrorist group if you don't want to attract attention?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i imagine its a lot easier to find out if your italian fake id is legit or not.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Today we are launching our most cunning psychological offensive yet against the Great Satan. Brothers Ahmed, Mohammed, Mohammed, and Abu will storm the convenience stores of the infidel, shoving clerks and stealing packages of cigarillos. Here is your ID, Ahmed. Be sure to drop the "Michael Brown" driver's license on the floor on your way out of the store. In this way, insha'Allah, we will sow division in the ranks of the crusaders!

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
please do not confuse sicily with italy

also please do not engage the weird loser who volunteered to shoot brown people

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Space-Pope posted:

Two important rules of thumb we should all stay mindful of, thanks spacepoop

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

at the date posted:

e:

A bunch of brown people blowing themselves up in Paris is plenty to drive fear of immigrants. Your idea only makes sense to a robot with no understanding of human emotions, as if this single shred of evidence tipped the balance between French people welcoming Muslim refugees and the mass paranoia and xenophobia we're seeing today.

are you, like, not familiar with the stated goals and tactics of an ideologically apocalyptic terrorist state? "grandiose" is par.

also did you not pay any attention to the freakout over syrian refugees driven specifically by the narrative generated by that passport?

it's kind of weird imo that you accuse me of not understanding human emotions (and by extension motivations) even as you reduce this specifically to a question of immigrants in general and criminals in general.

events can't be analyzed in isolation

duTrieux. fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 22, 2015

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

at the date posted:

Today we are launching our most cunning psychological offensive yet against the Great Satan. Brothers Ahmed, Mohammed, Mohammed, and Abu will storm the convenience stores of the infidel, shoving clerks and stealing packages of cigarillos. Here is your ID, Ahmed. Be sure to drop the "Michael Brown" driver's license on the floor on your way out of the store. In this way, insha'Allah, we will sow division in the ranks of the crusaders!

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i wish islamic terrorists would violently gun down this thread

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

http://www.rbijou.com/an-overview-of-jihadist-encryption-programs/

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

manhattan district attorney report on smartphone encryption is good

http://manhattanda.org/sites/default/files/11.18.15%20Report%20on%20Smartphone%20Encryption%20and%20Public%20Safety.pdf

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Mohammed, you're gonna have to pick a username other than "Mohammed" for this new social network because Mohammed over in accounts receivable already picked it.

May I suggest Mohammed420?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The DA office must have some amazing coffee:

quote:

Previous Apple and Google operating systems allowed law enforcement to access data on devices pursuant to search warrants. There is no evidence of which we are aware that any security breaches have occurred relating to those operating systems. Apple and Google have never explained why the prior systems lacked security or were vulnerable to hackers, and thus, needed to be changed. Those systems appeared to very well balance privacy and security while still being accessible to law enforcement through a search warrant.

quote:

What technical problem does the full-disk encryption of iOS 8 and Lollipop 5.0 solve?

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 23, 2015

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
we used to be able to compel Apple and Google to decrypt poo poo for us with a warrant, so they changed the software so we can't make them do that anymore. why would they do this?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

The Management posted:

we used to be able to compel Apple and Google to decrypt poo poo for us with a warrant, so they changed the software so we can't make them do that anymore. why would they do this?

What problem does preventing someone with physical access to the phone from reading everything solve? Also everyone still uses wallet chains for their phones, right?

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Space-Pope posted:

I assure you nobody gives a gently caress about your forums stalking target who you easily surpass in being unhinged and a weird loser.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

cremnob posted:

Soon after the list was published, Islamic State started moving official communications from Twitter to Telegram Messenger, which received the second-highest safety rating from the Islamic State tech team.

cryptocat got the #1 rating in initial quality

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

this is the entire section regarding a "solution"

quote:

V. A Proposed Solution: Make Smartphones Amenable To Search Warrants
There is no provision of the U.S. Constitution, or of any state constitution, that would require
producers of smartphones and operating systems to make smartphones amenable to governmental
searches. A federal statute could, however, compel such amenability.28 The Commerce Clause gives
the federal government the authority to “regulate Commerce . . . among the several States,” and “with
foreign Nations.”29 Because smartphones are part of interstate and foreign commerce, a federal statute
regulating smartphones would comfortably fall within the power of Congress to regulate activities
“that substantially affect interstate commerce.”30
Any state could also regulate smartphones sold or used within its borders. Each of the 62 District
Attorneys in New York State have, indeed, proposed such legislation.31 It is clear, however, that
federal legislation is preferable to state legislation. The problem under consideration here requires a
nationwide solution, and only federal legislation can provide it.
The federal legislation would provide in substance that any smartphone manufactured, leased, or sold
in the U.S. must be able to be unlocked, or its data accessed, by the operating system designer.
Compliance with such a statute would not require new technology or costly adjustments. It would
require, simply, that designers and makers of operating systems not design or build them to be
impregnable to lawful governmental searches.

the solution: simply ban encryption

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hed posted:

cryptocat got the #1 rating in initial quality

cryptocat is cool

and who's the guy that shoots brown people? I must have missed something :confused:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

emoji posted:

I assure you nobody gives a gently caress about your forums stalking target who you easily surpass in being unhinged and a weird loser.

BeOSPOS posted:

cryptocat is cool

and who's the guy that shoots brown people? I must have missed something :confused:

:911:

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

emoji posted:

lmfao you're mad

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Space-Pope posted:

lmfao you're mad

Retard

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
jfc space pope stop posting

also at the date stop murdering arab children

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lol

http://gawker.com/dilbert-creator-scott-adams-if-i-couldnt-get-laid-id-1744197444

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

incel adams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Space-Pope posted: