Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Silver Alicorn posted:

I'm just thinking about steam locomotives and how they required human people to shovel coal into the boiler. like, otherwise the engine stops. p. weird compared to today's technology

MY DAD used to volunteer on an antique excursion railroad thing and they had like 3 dudes in the engine at all times just to keep the engine fed and all that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

looking for the word "mechanical stoker" led me to wikipedia and the article is cool

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_stoker

it is pretty badass to think about secondary, smaller steam engines distributed around the locomotive to do work unrelated to the main propulsive task

just a central "bus" of steam driving various engines, with the stoker and spreader given priority

oh p cool

my source was that episode of top gear

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

looking for the word "mechanical stoker" led me to wikipedia and the article is cool

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_stoker

it is pretty badass to think about secondary, smaller steam engines distributed around the locomotive to do work unrelated to the main propulsive task

just a central "bus" of steam driving various engines, with the stoker and spreader given priority

when did they start calling things like that APUs i wonder

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

its extremely hosed up to think that people used to make their swansons pot pies over burning campfires or osmething cause they didnt have microwaves

crazy but true

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
mate imagine using a wood fired stove to heat up your bathwater one gallon at a time

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Silver Alicorn posted:

mate imagine using a wood fired stove to heat up your bathwater one gallon at a time

guess what you can get your hipster friends together in the woods for just this

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
i would love that, i wish i fit in a regular apartment bathtub :(

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
there's a BBC show called Victorian farm where they just live like it's 1860 for a year. They cooked with coal stoves and that sounds unimaginably gross.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
life pro tip. go to and enjoy Korean spas. very relaxing to hop between the hot/cold pools, and saunas. unfortunately there's no bus stops near by, but there's a big parking lot with a snow cone place out front. think I'll go tomorrow and relax. have a good weekend!!!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Silver Alicorn posted:

welcome to a finnish summer cottage

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
(okay, it's not used for bathing, just washing up after the sauna)

also these things are pretty popular these days

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

when did they start calling things like that APUs i wonder

i think the difference is that the secondary steam engines can't generate their own steam

they turn steam into power, but they are not power sources unto themselves

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
saw this over in the osha thread and it made me think of you guys! whelp later!!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Slippery Tilde
it's funny b/c everyone who speaks negatively about city living and in particular making GBS threads on the idea of using public transit almost always signals that they don't like being around people, or especially being near people when they have no power of selectivity

urban life owns if you aren't a paranoid misanthrope

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's funny b/c everyone who speaks negatively about city living and in particular making GBS threads on the idea of using public transit almost always signals that they don't like being around people, or especially being near people when they have no power of selectivity

i know plenty of people who ascribe to the "buses are for poor people but subways are good" which is p hosed up

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Slippery Tilde
tbf i get p annoyed by showtime whenever i'd ride the subway in nyc or even on the bart here

but that's more of a failing of enforcement than anything else

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

bump_fn posted:

i know plenty of people who ascribe to the "buses are for poor people but subways are good" which is p hosed up

that's because buses are bad and subways are good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i am a paranoid misanthrope and urban life owns nonetheless, there's an incredible amount of anonymity in a city of millions of people. no one gives a gently caress who you are or what you're doing, and you will be left entirely alone unless you intentionally seek out interaction with others

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
knew i could count on shaggar to be classist and wrong

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
buses are universally terrible idk how you could even debate that. subway is so much better in every way.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Shaggar posted:

buses are universally terrible idk how you could even debate that. subway is so much better in every way.

buses are used to cover routes for which there aren't subways and are v useful and cool

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
hurr durr how do people get to the subways?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

bump_fn posted:

buses are used to cover routes for which there aren't subways and are v useful and cool

if u cant get to and from where you want to go either walking and/or via subway its not worth going or you should just drive.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

if it's worth going to, there'd be a highway exit for it :colbert:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the "buses bad" thing from white people is mostly because cities have spent decades spending the money to pave and widen silky smooth roads in white people areas, while just sending increasingly run down and poor operating buses into the mangled streets of the poor areas. transportation access was/is one of the most common ways of red lining. this is also when cities decided to run freeways through the poor neighborhoods and populate their downtowns with parking lots for white weekend car visitors. as a consequence, white people look over at the poor people on the rickety, slow buses and snear

in cities that didnt engage in that game, mostly because they were massively white to start with like Seattle, there is almost no stigma at all with bus ridership

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

buses are alright, but i wish they weren't the only transit option in so many cities.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
shaggars just mad about when they bussed in black kids in boston

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that doesn't follow

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
aside from torturing children with a bus ride which i would be against.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the BART Warm Springs (peepee) station next to the Tesla factory is gonna open next saturday apparently. thats the old NUMMI plant, for u this american life listeners out there!!

the Milpitas and Berryessa stations will open late this year or early next year i guess

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

kinda sad that they can't afford to drive to their car factory

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

blugu64 posted:

kinda sad that they can't afford to drive to their car factory

welcome to obama's trump's america

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Cygni posted:

populate their downtowns with parking lots

hate this poo poo, parking lots are the worst

one of the worst parking lot offenders i see on the reg is the target i go to. the city and target really hosed up wit how they situated the store on the property.

like, they could have put the building closer to university (where it was before it got turned into a super target), but instead anyone going there via light rail has to walk across a quarter mile of parking lot to get to the store. it's gross and terrible.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

awwwwwww poor babies have to walk a whole quarter of a mile? awwwww

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres no form of public transit where you wont be walking at some point

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

looks like you could transfer to a yospos-approved bus and get closer.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Endless Mike posted:

awwwwwww poor babies have to walk a whole quarter of a mile? awwwww

it's not that far but it's still a bad decision.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Elder Postsman posted:

hate this poo poo, parking lots are the worst

one of the worst parking lot offenders i see on the reg is the target i go to. the city and target really hosed up wit how they situated the store on the property.

like, they could have put the building closer to university (where it was before it got turned into a super target), but instead anyone going there via light rail has to walk across a quarter mile of parking lot to get to the store. it's gross and terrible.

i'm not sure why you're criticizing the most well-designed block in that stretch of midway. if you take the couple of blocks to the west, i.e. the one with the Wal-Mart and the one with the "Rainbow", those are a lot worse; the target block makes much more sense in contrast to them. like if you put the target building farther north on that block, it would just create a dead zone next to St. Anthony Ave, much like you see on the other blocks i mentioned. and pedestrian access to that block is actually quite nice: contrary to your claim, pedestrians do not need to ever set foot in the target parking lot (at least on the Hamline side), because they can just walk on the public sidewalk on either the west or east edge of the block, and then go directly to the private sidewalk in front of the target. the stoplights on Hamline in the middle of the block are even fully signed with walk/don't walk and crosswalks for pedestrians. contrast this with those other blocks, which are a mish-mash of crappy little parking-lot fiefdoms that often have poor/no good places for pedestrians to walk to get to the stores on the block

of all the bad urban/suburban experiments and the downtown asphalt wastelands that you can find in MSP, imo that block is nowhere near the top of the list

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

is mini metro an accurate representation of how public transit works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lampey posted:

is mini metro an accurate representation of how public transit works?

if the timescale was 100x longer and you had to pass a ballot initiative every time you wanted to add a new line, yes

• Locked thread