Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Rest in peace, el spider.

It is my understanding that his name meant "the spider"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Frog Act posted:

modding GBS seems to be a very risky endeavor.

Paul Ryan for Mod

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Free El Spider

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Bamford Brownstone posted:

What an incredible turn of events. I hope we all learned something here today. I know I didn't.

the nail that sticks up gets hammered.
also if you are probated, go to bush gardens or something.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
call me a sjw safe space tumblina piece of poo poo but i really like rule #1

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
that didn't go so well

ThickDick420
Dec 16, 2014
frankly I did not expect this turn of events

edit: other than my ban

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I think gbs has been pretty funny and neat lately and I'm sure why everybody has such a hard on for making GBS threads on it literally the instant they become a mod :/

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

loving hell, turnover rate worse than Malaysian Airlines

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

Frog Act posted:

are we not allowed to post cool self contained pics anymore?

No, and I should have been probated for this before too. I think the main reason was most likely the fact that he participated in a thread called "friend of the family" not once, but twice, and also didn't immediately gas it. JUST A GUESS.

Also, probating people simply because he didn't agree with what they were saying/didn't like their posting style.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.

ThickDick420 posted:

frankly I did not expect this turn of events

edit: other than my ban

I forgive you, ThickDick420.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I think gbs has been pretty funny and neat lately and I'm sure why everybody has such a hard on for making GBS threads on it literally the instant they become a mod :/

Same people either stop modding or quit being sane.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

i dont want to be a mod but if i did i would promise to literally not do anything unless someone posted one of those old fangled free ipod referal links

he did probate zimboe though so thats a positive. but i think jon pop and zimboe should just be trained to one megathread for poo poo idiots

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
FFS We go through mods like a teenager goes through kleenex.

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

Pleads posted:

I like that El Spider probated a crazy person in the Paris thread to ask what happened to him:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=188690

Why email someone when you can use forum accounts as a means of communication?

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

The Kraken posted:

I forgive you, ThickDick420.

not me.
you destroyed my family right before christmas. I bet you don't even have a pot smoking thick penis.

LadyAmbien posted:

No, and I should have been probated for this before too.

lets change this unjust law going forward.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can't you just make some kind of script that auto-probates anyone who posts "friend of the family" or is 2015 still too early for that technology to exist.

It seems like a lot of the mod functions could be automated at this point.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The common in all of GBS' failed relationships is GBS.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
If I was a mod I'd rule with an iron fist.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

Can't you just make some kind of script that auto-probates anyone who posts "friend of the family" or is 2015 still too early for that technology to exist.

You would be auto probated for this post in such a scenario though???

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I think the first thing I would do as a mod of GBS is to ban myself.

bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

LadyAmbien posted:

No, and I should have been probated for this before too. I think the main reason was most likely the fact that he participated in a thread called "friend of the family" not once, but twice, and also didn't immediately gas it. JUST A GUESS.

Also, probating people simply because he didn't agree with what they were saying/didn't like their posting style.

I feel like there's so much contentless stuff in GBS now that a moderator can't reasonably probate for all of it, and instead can only probate certain people to try and make an example. I think that's what El Spider was trying to do. No matter who's moderating it will to some extent be a matter of preference in GBS. Either that or they do next to nothing. Maybe I'm wrong but I respect El Spider

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I do get Lowtax's point as the first reaction a mod should have to a thread entitled "friend of the family." should probably be thinking "You can't post a thread named friend of the family. in a sfw forum" not "let s post in this thread named friend of the family."

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

EugeneJ posted:

a script wont be able to tell discussions about the word or critiquing rap music or me bitching about people saying to be edgy and ironic though

gbs right now seems to basically run itself with the exception of people occasionally deciding to spam 6 pages worth of text in one post or people not knowing when to let a stupid endlessly rehashed argument thread die (union thread)

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A Stupid Baby posted:

a script wont be able to tell discussions about the word or critiquing rap music or me bitching about people saying to be edgy and ironic though

Do we really need any of those discussions in GBS

Do they ever go anywhere

Come on now

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

A Stupid Baby posted:

people occasionally deciding to spam 6 pages worth of text in one post

If there's anything that deserves an instant probation/ban but doesn't get punished IMO it's this, even when it's done in threads that deserve it. Navigating through posts like that with a cellphone is a massive pain in the rear end, it contributes nothing, and it's unfunny

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
Holy gently caress Lowtax owns

SUCK MY DICK EL SPIDER

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
Between Gnarly probating Spanish Manlove for a month and Lowtax permabanning the new mod in like 2 days all I can say is:

Booblord Zagats posted:

I love GBS so much right now

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Cuckoo posted:

If there's anything that deserves an instant probation/ban but doesn't get punished IMO it's this, even when it's done in threads that deserve it. Navigating through posts like that with a cellphone is a massive pain in the rear end, it contributes nothing, and it's unfunny

Only time I've ever laughed at it was when someone did the speech from Atlas Shrugged but changed out stuff to make it about anime

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Lowtax met a real life ghost and then busted him.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I'm glad El Spider is dead.

bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

I'm depressed about GBS

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I'm glad El Spider is dead.

Squish

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Booblord Zagats posted:

Only time I've ever laughed at it was when someone did the speech from Atlas Shrugged but changed out stuff to make it about anime

I've done the Atlas Shrugged quote to poo poo on someone before (a Jon Pop thread), but it was just the first paragraph and edited

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Cuckoo posted:

I've done the Atlas Shrugged quote to poo poo on someone before (a Jon Pop thread), but it was just the first paragraph and edited

It's a classic "gently caress you" move and I respect it when it's done with effort and qit

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

bog pixie posted:

I feel like there's so much contentless stuff in GBS now that a moderator can't reasonably probate for all of it, and instead can only probate certain people to try and make an example. I think that's what El Spider was trying to do. No matter who's moderating it will to some extent be a matter of preference in GBS. Either that or they do next to nothing. Maybe I'm wrong but I respect El Spider

Totally agreed. I stand by previous statements I've made in the past about modding GBS being probably one of the most challenging jobs on the site. There's a thin line on what is acceptable or not, and there's a lot of offensive/stupid poo poo floating around and a lot of it has to be on a sliding morality scale. I don't doubt that he was trying his best.

I think the main issue was and is, if you're a mod, maybe you should gas that thread entitled "friend of the family" instead of posting in it, and allowing it to get to 2 pages full of content? If you can't do that, maybe you shouldn't mod.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Booblord Zagats posted:

Applewhite or loquacius would be my dream picks

You know on TV sitcoms those characters that seem really cool and good at their job so they get promoted to boss and then everyone at their job hates them and they are awful and by the end of the episode they go back to being a low level peon and they do great and everyone agrees that person is suited perfectly for the level of responsibility they've been given?

Well for a broad definition of "good at my job" that's my situation. I would be a terrible mod please don't make me one TIA.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Reality is, at the end of the day modding GBS isn't about creating the forum you want, but the one the guy paying the bills wants. If you can't respect that, then you're probably not gonna have the best time

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Applewhite posted:

You know on TV sitcoms those characters that seem really cool and good at their job so they get promoted to boss and then everyone at their job hates them and they are awful and by the end of the episode they go back to being a low level peon and they do great and everyone agrees that person is suited perfectly for the level of responsibility they've been given?

Well for a broad definition of "good at my job" that's my situation. I would be a terrible mod please don't make me one TIA.

That I totally get. I would mod, just never under this account, just some no name poo poo that I'd use to just remind folks of rules and push probations, since if I got sick of it I'd want to be able to go back to being myself and not having people bring up dumb judgement calls I made 6 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So just to be clear, are we actually not allowed to post images without accompanying text, or are we not allowed to be hypocrites about it?

• Locked thread