Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korthal
May 26, 2011

Before it was a physical thing,, just with the wires and the connectors,and it was a thing about computational power. Now that we have wireless controllers and huge HDTVs, it makes no sense that 4 has to be the cap for every game. Is it just that our brains are too stupid to handle more than 4 people playing at the same time, or has it just been self-enforced as standard.

Even Bomberman 2 on the NES had 5 player action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
No self respecting gamer has more than four friends.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

they dont even support LANs anymore and i think its because most people dont bother to get together than many gamers in the same place at once, now that online works so well

also in games that need a split screen even having four people on the same console makes your screen so tiny and hosed up

also the WiiU does support 8 people.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

because Nintendo set the industry standard with the Nintendo 64, years ago. now they have set the standard to 8 people with Smash Bruddas. its only a matter of time before gaming is changed once again by the hands of Nintendo

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
do any halfway decent games even support local multiplayer anymore?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

crunk dork posted:

Super Smash Bros.
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario 3D World

Buy a Wii U

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Pablo Gigante posted:

Super Smash Bros.
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario 3D World

Buy a Wii U

I've been seriously considering it this holiday season, the wife would probably game with it as well and i could reclaim the ps4 that has now turned into a drat netflix streaming device....

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
WiiU Dallas Multitap

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't have any friends OP.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In Training posted:

I don't have any friends OP.

I shall be yors

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Pablo Gigante posted:

Super Smash Bros.
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario 3D World

Buy a Wii U

Splatoon local multiplayer is pretty fun as well, and Yoshis Wooly World is a great time co-op. Pretty much all the good local multiplayer games are Nintendo now

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

crunk dork posted:

Oh and on ps4 Rocket League and Towerfall Ascension are both really fun. Play them with my buds all the time.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Split screened multiplayer is still probably a good reason. Multiplayer console gaming over the internet doesn't have a 4 player limit does it?

Admiral_eX_laX
Jul 8, 2009

Historically Inaccurate
here's an idea. a console that supports multiple monitors? 1 for each player? is this even a thing?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Admiral_eX_laX posted:

here's an idea. a console that supports multiple monitors? 1 for each player? is this even a thing?

It's called a Game Boy

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

anybody here ever used the ps2 firewire port

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

crunk dork posted:

the uncharted games have split-screen online which is cool as hell

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Ralp posted:

WiiU Dallas Multitap

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

It's called a Game Boy

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
well, even if u are playing with more than 4 friends, u tend to do things like, winner stays on, or alternate groups. if youre playing and spectating alternately, its still good fun.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
a bunch of WiiU games support more than 4 players though, I think

I know at least Nintendo Land has six-player setups for some minigames, and Smash Bros WiiU has 8-Player Smash.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Admiral_eX_laX posted:

Original Xbox on LAN and not XBL unless I'm imagining things

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Admiral_eX_laX posted:

You can launch two instances of borderland 2 and play each on their own monitor

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

program666 posted:

You can launch two instances of borderland 2 and play each on their own monitor

:stonk:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Because I can't comfortably fit more than 4 people on my couch OP

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

PS3 supports up to 7 controllers but very few games take advantage of this

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

on that same token xbone supports up to 8 controllers im pretty sure, the problem is nobody makes games that support that many local players, and when they do its some sports turd where more than 4 doesnt really work anyway because half the players end up being off the screen at any given time

Korthal
May 26, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

well, even if u are playing with more than 4 friends, u tend to do things like, winner stays on, or alternate groups. if youre playing and spectating alternately, its still good fun.

Yeah, no. Only poor people and bullshitters would go "let's take turns" instead of closing a game that can accommodate all present.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Korthal posted:

Yeah, no. Only poor people and bullshitters would go "let's take turns" instead of closing a game that can accommodate all present.

Winner Stays adds to the intensity of a match, that the people try even more to do well and to play for real. its good in fightgames and can work in other games too

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Scyther posted:

on that same token xbone supports up to 8 controllers im pretty sure, the problem is nobody makes games that support that many local players, and when they do its some sports turd where more than 4 doesnt really work anyway because half the players end up being off the screen at any given time

Also outside of having that many ppl who want to game you still have to spend like, $50 a controller or whatever.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
sometimes you just gotta tag your buddy in so you can finish your beer. gimme a hell yeah

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Korthal posted:

Before it was a physical thing,, just with the wires and the connectors,and it was a thing about computational power. Now that we have wireless controllers and huge HDTVs, it makes no sense that 4 has to be the cap for every game. Is it just that our brains are too stupid to handle more than 4 people playing at the same time, or has it just been self-enforced as standard.

Even Bomberman 2 on the NES had 5 player action.

I'm not sure. Its a valid question.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Link_Cable i didnt know this was used on more than just ps1 doom

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Doctor Goat posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Link_Cable i didnt know this was used on more than just ps1 doom

i played red alert retaliation with a friend using that

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Research has shown that four is the optimal number of gamers in one room, just as six is the optimal number of pokemon on a team. Keep your eyes on this post, I'll update with sources later

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Korthal posted:

what's wrong with being poor?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Because Sony and Microsoft are greedy motherfuckers who force gamers to buy more consoles and paid online subscriptions.

Nintendo doesn't have this problem, they are assholes who love to sell overpriced accessories though. Videogame companies are bastards.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 21, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
a lot of indie games have local multi, but i'm pretty sure that's less to do with having fun with your friends in the same room and more to do with netcode being too hard to do in klik 'n' play

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Starhawk64 posted:

Because Sony and Microsoft are greedy motherfuckers who force gamers to buy more consoles and paid online subscriptions.

Nintendo doesn't have this problem, they they are assholes who love to sell overpriced accessories. Videogame companies are bastards.

The obsessively pessimistic sadbrains non-gamer meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Starhawk64 posted:

Nintendo doesn't have this problem, they are assholes who love to sell overpriced accessories though. Videogame companies are bastards.

who wants to read this kind of miserable crap/. have a little bit of consideration for others please.

• Locked thread