Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Tamara Muyskens

"Can't say I've been to the place, but I know the area a little." Tamara pipes up once they're out of the office. "If you don't want the whole group in there I can probably find enough hiding places for people to stay and keep an eye on the building. Just in case. And if he runs, I'll be quick enough to catch him." The last line leaves her with a twinkle of excitement in her eyes and a smile on her face. Truth be told, she was itching for some action, and a nice foot-chase would probably be just the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Hana Nemec

"I'm not sure that all of us will be necessary for this," says Hana, "I mean, we only want to ask a few questions. Perhaps we should split up? Two of us can find this Ratcatcher, while the others work on something else. We do have three other locations to look at, as well as a lack of an actual working space."

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Lovro Strnad

"Yeah, a few questions from bashers we suspect of serial murder. I'd rather go with Tamara, if only so there's someone to watch her back and vice versa. But yeah, keeping all four in one place is probably just wasting time, so you two could do some legwork elsewhere. How about we meet at dusk to grab a bite and share what shook out? There's this great place at Tanner Street..."

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Hana Nemec

"Mr. Strnad, this Ratcatcher person we're looking for almost certainly isn't our killer, he is the only person we know of that can point us towards our only suspects, this Cerulean Circle."

She pauses to adjust her glasses before continuing, "Now then, if yourself and Ms. Muyskens are going to handle the Ratcatcher, all that's left now is to decide what Ms. Galbraith and myself will be doing. Personally I'd place finding somewhere to work from at the top of the list, but all of us have a say in the matter."

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
It's early evening before Dimo's is open, but you (Tamara and Lovro) do a bit of scouting beforehand. The tavern is right on Linden Street, one of the main thoroughfares that leads into downtown Ostebras from the docks. Though it shares a building with a barber shop and a tailor, you'd never miss it - it occupies a wide lot right on the corner, with a large painted white-on-black wooden sign reading "Dimo's" above a forest green awning that stretches over the door. Two orblights, currently unlit, hang over the sign. On either side of the door, the building's entire east face (looking out on Linden Street) is covered with black sheets that read "Cosmetic construction - so Dimo can serve you better!" The south face better shows the original building - a plaster wall frequently interrupted by grey brick-surrounded rectangular windows, from the style you figure it must only be somewhere between fifty and a hundred years old.

You have some time before it opens. Is there anything in particular you want to do in the meantime?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Lovro Strnad

"So, uh, how you're liking the job of a messenger? I've heard it's either very exciting or very boring. Bet you've been to a lot of rorty places around Ostebras."

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 3, 2016

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Tamara Muyskens

"Weeeell," Tamara's voice wheedles a little as she looks around Linden Street, eyes finding paths, up and over or through and under. It would help having a lay of the land in case things got out of hand. "Mostly it's a blast! I'm pretty sure there's nobody who can cross the entire city gate-to-gate in less than four hours, but I've gotten close. Probably will make it sooner or later. The running's a blast. The rest? Eh, not so much. Paperwork, pfooie." She gives Lovro a petulant look as she glances back at him. "So how do you want to do this?"

Mind for determining lay of the land. Wol graciously allowed me the advantage for expertise in this area. Roll at 3d20 (12,10,9) - 1 = 11

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Lovro Strnad

"Get a haircut and make small talk about the place?", Lovro says, shrugging. "Or maybe just catch a break and go do something fun before it opens? We're not exactly planning a heist here."

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
What Tamara sees:

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Tamara Muyskens

"I dunno about you, but I'm going for some food. I'm starving, certainly after all that waiting around in the palace. My grandmaster wouldn't let me eat anything for like an hour before we showed up! Some baloney about etiquette and having to appear immaculate in front of the queen. And besides, I live a high-energy lifestyle. Probably not so much you, with all the writey-bits and whatnot, but you still gotta eat lunch, right? I mean, no offense, but your job can't be that physically demanding. All you have to do is walk and write. Or is it?" As she's blabbering on, Tamara's already making her way over to the kebab vendor, motioning for two skewers once she gets their attention.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
You spend some time browsing the vendors and shops around the area, waiting for a little while after Dimo's opens so other customers have the chance to filter in before you get there. When you finally enter, the first thing that hits you is the delicious scent of freshly baked bread, mingling with an undertone of garlic. The place is bustling. Patrons sit around the room at tables or at the lengthy, incredibly well-stocked bar at the back. All the seats by the windows are taken up, but there's plenty of room to sit by the wall that's under renovation - even on the inside, it has a sheet over it, so you're not quite sure what's going on with it. A few patrons take account of you as you enter, but most are occupied by their respective conversations. You see sailors, labourers, middle-class folk, a few shifty-looking types in the corner and even a couple off-duty city guards in the centre of the room, betrayed by the end of a light red guard's waist sash sticking out of a bag at one's feet. Right in front of you is a sign that reads "Order at the bar", so you make your way over, where you are greeted by a rather wide, jolly-looking man in a well-worn but perfectly clean leather apron.

"Welcome to Dimo's! Always good to see a new face! Dimo is me, and while you are here, you are guests in my own home. You need anything, you shout and I am right there! Now, would you like a food menu, a drink menu or both?"

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Hana Nemec

"Well Miss Galbraith since it's just the two of us now, shall we see about finding our little group a work space? Or I suppose we could check one of the old murder sites, not sure we'll find much there but its still an option."

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Calli Galbraith

"I'm not sure rehashing the murder sites would bring anything of interest to me. What I do think we might...or....I would like to do, is to do some research on these cults and symbols that were presented to us. Like...who are these Cerulean Circle people? What's up with that weird spiral symbol. Maybe this is a bit boring compared to our other friends...but maybe do some searching in the library? Perhaps speak to some of the more religious minded in town? I have some...connections, if you will, that I'd like to get in contact with."

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
edit

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Tamara Muyskens

Tamara gives her best winning smile to Dimo. She can do this whole subtle thing. Totally. "How about we start with drinks? Anything you recommend? I've heard a lot about this place but it's my first time here, so I'm at your mercy!" Getting the barkeep on their side with a bit of smalltalk would probably be a good idea, right? Then they could ask him about Ratcatcher once they were all chummy.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
"Ho-ho! A little sense of adventure, eh? Well, for such an energetic young lady as yourself, maybe you would like to try something I've been working on for a while. I call it the Shocking Grasp. It's frizzante, peach, and...a little kick. A good mixer never reveals all his secrets! And as for your...friend here - Dimo does not assume - you look like someone who's well-travelled, curious, but you know what you like. I'm thinking something traditional but off the beaten path. Tiscinne Sour, or as I like to call it with my own little twist...an Ethereal Jaunt?"

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Lovro Strnad

"Well, when you reach Guildmaster you don't really even have to write anymore," Lovro remarked. "Before that, it really depends. For me, there's a bunch of climbing and running involved a lot of the time, but I do usually consider it a failure if it comes to that. The Apprentices at the Grand Press however, the ones carrying the type cases and cranking the screws... Well, I have seen blacksmiths half their size."

- - -

"You're correct on both counts, Mr. Dimo. I do would like a Tiscinne and I do know what I'd like. To discuss an... Opportunity with whom I am told is a regular patron of this fine kip. I believe he should be known around these parts as Ratcachter. Any idea how long of a wait are we in for?

"And please tell me about whichever pastry smells so divine," he adds almost immediately.

I'll update my poo poo in a day or two, was super busy/tired over weekend and it's probably wil still be today.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Hana Nemec

"In that case I think our path is clear, since I doubt the books will be going anywhere. Lead the way Miss Galbraith, I'm quite curious about these connections of yours."

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
"Ah, old Ratty is a good friend of mine! Not much of a wait if you want to see him, he's just right over there."

Dimo points a weathered thumb at the back corner of a tavern, where the sketchy-looking folk you noticed on your way in are laughing and playing cards. A haze of bluish smoke hangs over the table - probably from sweatleaf, judging by the squat, round pipe you see one of them waving around. Careful not to stare too long, you turn back toward Dimo, who immediately serves you your drinks.

"As for the pastry, I'll pass your compliment on to our lovely baker. I believe he just finished a batch of - hmm, hold on."

Dimo disappears into the kitchen for a moment before emerging with two small, baked pastry balls on a plate and a wide smile on his face.

"Fresh baked spinach and mushroom gougères, and if you ask me, an absolute delicacy! Go ahead, try them!"

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Tamara Muyskens

Tamara absentmindedly takes the little pastry as she glances at the card-game. Her eyes light up soon afterwards, though whether it's the prospect of a gamble or the food that causes it is unclear. With a devilish grin she turns back to the establishment's owner, giving him a big thumbs up. "Perfect! My compliments to you and your chef, Mister Dimo. This'll do us just fine. Thank you for your hospitality!" A nod and a raise of her glass, and she's sipping on her fizzy drink with the same infectious enthusiasm as her words carry. It's not long before the rotund barkeep waddles off to serve some other patrons, though, which leaves her a moment to scoot closer to Lovro and gesture (discreetly) at Ratcatcher's game. "So I'm thinking I get in there and show those lads who's boss with those cards. Throw some cash around, maybe get Ratty to open up a little, yeah?" Whether she's waiting for the journalist's permission or not is unclear, as she's already halfway off her chair by the time she's finished speaking.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Lovro Strnad

"That gal is something else," Lovro muttered to himself as Tamara approached the table.

The Chronicler repositioned himself to the edge of the counter, from where he could subtly glance at the table, while enjoying his drink.

If First Impression is not a skill I have to chuck out - I'll do that tomorrow - I'll be probably cold reading the gently caress out of participants.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Tamara Muyskens

"Oi there, lads!" Tamara calls out brightly as she saunters up to the table, drink in hand, "Room for one more at this table?" The first player to look up gets a friendly wink from her, and she takes another sip while she waits for their answer. "It looks like a fun game that you're playing, and I'm always up for some fun!"

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
As Tamara sits down at the table, Lovro takes a quick appraisal of her new friends.

Looks like the oldest at the table. Carries himself with confidence and poise, suggesting a leader, but the others don't seem to be deferring to him. Not very expressive. Lovro makes a note of his large, bear-like frame and thick hands, envisioning what a man like that might do if roused to anger.
Slim and pretty. Can't seem to keep her hands still - she's always fidgeting with something, rolling a coin back and forth between her fingers, or picking her cards up and putting them back down. Of the group, is the one with their eyes least on the game, often looking around the room.
Seems to be doing most of the talking. Has a flair for the dramatic, gesturing wildly and alternating between exaggerated smugness and mock horror depending on how the game is going. In spite of his charades, Lovro takes him for a very calculating person.
Androgynous-looking. Speaks very little, preferring instead to observe. Very intense eyes. Never puts their cards down. Doesn't move much in general other than taking long drags on their pipe.
Appears laid-back and composed, but has a look in his eyes Lovro's seen before - the look of a coiled viper, one wrong word away from reaching across the table and spilling blood. The others either don't know or don't care, though, and don't seem to be treating him any different than anyone else.

----------

The players don't seem to mind when Tamara sits down, though her line about 'fun' elicits a few snickers. The man sitting to her right leans over and whispers in her ear.

"The point of a cover line is to make it look like everything's normal, not to make it look like you're a simpleton."

One of the others clutches his hands to his heart, then mimes wiping a tear from his cheek.

"Sorrow of sorrows, we got a new player to deal in! Looks like we have to throw this hand away! What a shame, what a shame...and just when I was winning."
"Sorry, new girl, you can wait until the next hand. I'm just about to take more of this idiot's money."

The group plays the hand out, exchanging barbs as they go. Finally, the round reaches its conclusion...

"I'm sorry, what was that? You all keep talking trash, but all I hear is 'blah blah blah.' Slide that money over here, friendo."

"Alright. New round, dealing for six. Pass 'em all in. Yeah, that card too. Don't make me have to count them."

"So, new girl, you got a name? I'm Bianke."

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Calli Galbraith

Nods curtly to Hana and smiles warmly. "Well then, I think the two places I had in mind would be the Whitemouth Chapel and the Stubb Hill Ministry. I think we should go to the more general place, the Chapel. Chat to people, see if we can get a lead of these cultists...the...Cerulean Circle is what they were called? We might even pick up a light snack along the way if that suits your fancy."

Becoking to Hana, she turns and begins finding her way through the crows towards the Chapel. Frowning slightly in thought, she glances over her shoulder to Hana. "This might be a forward question, but are you....religious in any way? Would you know anybody at the Chapel we could chat with?"

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Hana Nemec

Hana sighs. "A snack does sound quite lovely right about now. But I'm afraid the answer to both questions is no. I've never been particularly devout, and Mother always treated it as more of an occasion to be seen more than anything else. Since I detested any such events I took to brewing some of the more foul smelling unguents on those days to avoid being brought along. Probably not the wisest decision looking back but... what's done is done."

After the pair pass through a rather noisy group Hana adds, "Now I presume we'll go to the higher ups for answers, but we might also try asking some of the younger disciples as well. Lots of people hear things they weren't meant to, and two pretty girls can loosen quite a few tongues."

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Tamara Muyskens

Tamara pays the whisper little mind, smiling brightly at the other girl. "I'm Tamara! Nice to meet you, Bianke. And the rest of you, too. Somebody want to tell me what game we're playing? Or names, if you're inclined to be polite." She waits patiently for the big brute to deal out the cards, with her drink in one hand. Whisper-man might be a problem, if things turned out badly, but she wasn't planning on letting it go that far.

Yet, anyway.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Tamara and Lovro:

"The handsome one - that's me, as if you couldn't tell - is Pieter. The big hairball is Roland, your blond friend there is Merten, and the one with all the scars goes by Ratty. Not a very flattering nickname, but don't say that to his face."

"Roland's dealing five-card stud. We're no high-stakes outfit or anything, just doing ten florins today. Unless you're feeling lucky, that is."

"Speaking of dealing people in, maybe your friend at the bar wants to join us? He doesn't look too comfortable sitting there alone."

--------------------------------

Hana and Calli:

You make your way up the harbour to Whitemouth, a bustling hub where you can hardly walk two steps down the street without having to make way for some goods-carriage or another. The merchants and district denizens are clearly well used to the frantic pace, weaving in and out of the copious street traffic as easily as driftwood floating along with the tides. Less acclimated to all the bustle, your relative clumsiness makes you stick out like a sore thumb. More than once, you find yourself stepping on someone's foot, then getting unceremoniously jostled forward again through the crowd before you can so much as apologize. You can hardly hear yourself think, either - the many carriages' drivers communicate with each other mainly through yelling, and on every corner there's someone shouting over the din, trying to sell something or other. Food, newspapers, assorted tchotchkes - anything cheap enough to sell on the streets, there'll be someone trying their hand at it here.

One "authentic Barishal frozen cream" and some amount of time later, you find yourself in front of a long lime brick house with a low peaked roof: The Whitemouth All-Faiths Chapel. A notice posted to the door lists a number of upcoming services to be held here. The next one listed is Sadik Prayer, taking place two and a half hours from now. It doesn't seem like you'll be interrupting anything, so you head inside. You find yourself in a notably spartan lobby that smells rather refreshingly of fresh pine. A tall, pleasant-looking woman dressed in a long white robe excuses herself from a conversation with a wild-haired older man and comes to greet you.

"Welcome to Whitemouth All-Faiths Chapel. Is this your first time here?"

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Tamara Muyskens

"Eh, I don't think he's much of a card player," Tamara says with an elegant shrug, "but maybe he'll change his mind." She puts ten florins on the table and takes another long sip from her drink. "Alright, let's have a go." Playing with the coins under her hand, she flashes the rest of the group a bright smile. Her eyes stay on Ratty for a while as she deliberates. The issue of the Circle was gonna be a little hard to table straight-off. Subtlety wasn't her strong suit either, and if the rest of the group thought she was hiding something things could go pear-shaped pretty quickly. Best to see if she could bring herself to be liked first, probably.

Rolling Spirit to ingratiate myself at +2: 3x1d20=15,6,12 for a result of 14

Wahad fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 30, 2016

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
The Ratcatcher watches Tamara, expressionless. When she mentions that Lovro might be willing to change his mind about joining them, he offers the smallest of smirks.

"I think he just might. Pieter."

Pieter rises immediately from his chair and, stepping nimbly around the table, heads off to the bar. He flings himself onto a stool next to Lovro, plops an elbow down on the bar, and signals to order.

"Dimo, you must help me, it's a dire emergency! My friends are taking all my money again! You got anything that'll let me see through their cards?"
"If one of the Alchemists' Guild opened a bar, my dear friend, you alone would make them rich. Horse's Neck as usual, I trust?"
"And once again you savagely skewer my hopes. Well, if I can't win, at least I can forget. Be generous with the brandy as you please!"

Pieter lets out an exaggerated sigh, then seems to blow himself back up as he inhales. He puts a hand on the bar in front of Lovro and leans over.

"Hey, your friend's about to join us for a game of stud, but she said you were just sitting over here all on your lonesome. I just couldn't bear the thought of a red-blooded young man like yourself sitting meekly on the sidelines, so I thought I'd extend a neighbourly hand of invitation to you. I promise, we'll be light on the ol' suffering wallet. You only get poor like me when you do this every other night. So, whaddaya say? Come share a game with us!"

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Hana Nemec

Hana takes a step forward. "For me it is, though I'm not here for religious fulfillment. If you have the time we'd like to ask you some questions." Hana sticks out her hand for a handshake, "I'm Hana Nemec."

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Calli Galbraith

Calli nods to the woman and offers a greeting to her after Hana. "Hello there. I'm Calli Galbraith. You've met my colleague, Hana. We're here on official business and have a few questions. Could you possibly point us in the direction of a person knowledgeable about the various cults in the city? Also..." Calli pulls a copy of the symbol given to her by Maarten a their initial meeting.

"Have anybody that could make heads or tails of this symbol? Might be the same person that could answer both questions."

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
"Anne De Charinne, pleased to meet you. Why don't you come with me to my office - we can discuss this further there."

Anne leads you through a simple wooden door to your right. You find yourselves in a long, narrow candle-lit hall, as sparsely decorated as the entranceway. A series of doors to your right bear a variety of religious symbols. Anne explains:

"Behind these doors, you'll find shrines for private worship and meditation, catered to various faiths. We have Karolian and Henegite of course, as well as Sadik, Kansite, Arkonan and Zurian. We also have a couple rooms set aside for people of faiths that don't have a shrine of their own here yet. Liturgies are held in the main hall, behind the big set of sliding doors you saw in the vestibule. If you are of the Chornan faith, it might also interest you that we're currently raising money to buy Arnault Garden and build a Chornan ritual circle there."

Upon reaching the end of the hall, you turn left, and soon come upon a door that reads "Anne De Charinne, Community Liaison". Anne leads you inside, to a white-walled room with a simple wooden desk and bookshelves - pine, like everything else in this building - buried under stacks of paper and books. She clears a stack of papers off one of the chairs and gestures to you both to sit down.

"Sorry for the mess. My job requires of me both kinds of clerical work, unfortunately. Now, about that symbol. It's not something I would associate with a religious group. I see it now and again around here as graffiti, and, well...there's someone I used to know who I'd associate with the symbol, but to the best of my knowledge, he's not someone who's ever been religious. May I ask why you're looking into this?"

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Hana Nemec

Hana takes her seat. "There's an important third party that wants some answers in a recent disappearance. Our investigation has led us to this symbol and I believe that someone connected to it may have seen something important. I'm afraid that I can't go into too much more detail than that. Confidentiality and all."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Calli Galbraith

Calli plops down in a chair next to Hana. She nods as Hana offers her explanation about the signal. "Yes, Ms. De Charinne, sorry for the vagueness, but we're trying to investigate this without causing too many waves. You mentioned a person that could know something about the symbol? Do you happen to know what this graffiti means? I assumed it was something to do with a particular religion, which is why we decided to chat with you."

• Locked thread