Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The surreal deathtrap stuff is pretty great, though.

Yeah for real. I haven't seen Part I so I got nothing to compare the propaganda aspect, but outside of a few standout moments (e.g. Katniss getting three separate competing televised death announcements within five minutes of her alleged death) it mostly occupied the awkward space of not being quite on-the-nose enough to hit with a surreal impact. But the death traps were lovely, especially in the context of signalling a total breakdown of the "rules of war" and of the sense of narratability that allowed Katniss to function at least mostly effectively in this role that she hates and is terrible at.

This is a movie where Boggs explains their mission as essentially, "We're going to take this elite unit into the city well behind the front lines, so there won't be actual fighting, except there are still enemy troops and death traps everywhere that will kill us. We can't go anywhere without this magic map because it tells us where the traps are, but it's also useless because we only know where some of the traps are, so we'll get killed by traps anyway." And then that all happens. It works well as a companion piece to your take on Spectre, I think.

I also appreciate some of the subtler bits of propaganda imagery that isn't coming from the D13 side. My favorite is when they're all emerging from the sewer zone and they wordlessly run past a poster showing a grotesquely heroically-posed portrait of FINNICK ODAIR as a public threat. Which, of course, is true, what with a lionized conception of Finnick's unintentional martyrdom posing a major threat to Katniss's well-being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread