Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The ending was a bit reminiscent of Return of the King in terms of false conclusions, but overall I'd say the film is good.

One way I think it could be improved is by separating the narrative from Katniss' viewpoint, like was done earlier in the film. Everything about the bombing is introduced and resolved in what feels like 15 minutes. The only hint we have beforehand about President Coin's mercenary nature is the little speech by Boggs. Maybe have a scene from her viewpoint after she hears the Capitol is sending refugees to the Palace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Anya posted:

I haven't caught it yet, but I'm mainly curious about how Katniss's invasion of the Capitol and the insane booby traps looks, since that poo poo was crazy in the book. People melting, ground disappearing, tracker jackers, etc. Did all of that turn out alright?

I think in order, the only booby traps you see are:

1. Basically just a giant flame thrower

2. Two machine guns in a corridor that try to kill everyone

3. This weird oil that if you touch it murders you and then strings you up like a spider.

4. A whole bunch of what are essentially fast zombies (they call them "Mutts" but i never saw them before).

5. There's a subway station and the lights fire beams downward and if you're caught in it you pretty much disintegrate.

6. The floor of the same subway station gets ripped apart to reveal saw blades underneath.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

cat doter posted:

I'm not familiar with the books themselves, but is the third book a particularly long or complex book compared to the other 2? What about the others edits down cleanly to 2 hours 20 minutesish while this required 2 movies? I'm more than willing to admit I was wrong but the decision strikes me as a harry potter-esque 'gotta get one more movie's worth of ticket sales from this baby.'

Certain elements definitely benefit from having the longer run time. For example, Peeta being held hostage by the Capitol wouldn't have nearly the impact if he got rescued 45 minutes into the movie, nor would him redeeming himself after almost killing Katniss in this film have the same emotional weight.

There are drawbacks, like everything with Prim feeling like "oh yeah most of her character development was in the last movie" but I think in general it was the right call and watching them back to back will have a better impact.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Krowley posted:

Peeta was caught at the end of the second movie. If a main character being rescued early on works in Star Wars then it could work fine here as well.

If Han had gone crazy and tried to murder Leia, with a large part of the film being about Leia trying to trust Han again, you would have a point.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Krowley posted:

There are ways to make movies feel long and epic with meaningful character development, without bloating the runtime or splitting it up. It's been done many many times before. Mockingjay as a single two-hour movie could've easily worked, and we wouldn't have had to wait a year for a gimped part 1, and another year for an underwhelming part 2

You still haven't addressed my point. The character arc I mentioned is an integral part of the Mockingjay story.

You don't even mention the ways to "make [a] movie feel long and epic", which is stunningly lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wade Wilson posted:

Does the movie keep Katniss putting an arrow into Julianne Moore and Sutherland choking to death laughing about it intact from the book?

Pretty much Except Snow also gets mobbed by people, but you never really see him die. He spits up a fair bit of blood though.

• Locked thread