Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

System Access Node Not Found

Are you releasing your translations anywhere? Because if you don't have an account on baka-updates, I can update the page for that manga for you to point to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Why do I get the feeling that the world quietly ended in it? But that's the feeling I got from Yokohama Shopping Trip too, so maybe it's just "a thing" with his manga.
If I recall correctly, it's not just a feeling. It's supposed to be a post-apocalyptic world where mono no aware reigns supreme - basically the antithesis to Mad Max.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I like the implications of her sitting on her back as if she chased after her and actually pounced, which gave me the vivid mental image of David Attenborough narrating the scene in slow-motion: "And here we see the Mana, a fearsom predator, chasing down her subject until she gets close enough to lunge and make a successful capture.."

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Welp, this certainly is the surreal thread; I'm agreeing with DisDisDis.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I like parsley on eggs, whether an egg cake (eggs, milk and a bit of flour beaten to a homogeneous mix, then put in an oven pan and baked, and served with thick-cut bacon either in the pan or sprinkled on top), or on top of rye-bread with butter, eggs and tomatoes. Also a really good topping for ramen when it comes with an egg. I guess what I'm really saying is that parsley goes well with eggs.

Only way I can think of to link surreal manga to food is Splatter Film from Shin Yami no Koe - Kaidan by Itou Junji. Perhaps it's for the best that there isn't much manga that mixes horror/surreal with food?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yeah, it's a solid thread for finding good recommendations I probably normally wouldn't have read because of their tags. I certainly wouldn't have read Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa, and Sakamoto Desu ga is definitely one I would've pegged as something for me.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Oh poo poo it's licensed? Dang, good catch!!
There's a site that tracks the status of manga, including licenses

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Manga Loader userscript for GreaseMonkey or TamperMonkey works on mangadex and eliminates whatever ways they gently caress around with their webdesign.
It also works on basically every other site worth using, and plenty that normally aren't because of all the bullshit.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

new kitsune spirit

https://mangadex.org/title/28471/kitsune-spirit

I really like that it's been turned into an actual series instead of the little one-offs the author was doing initially. It's adorable.
The thirsty foxlady in the oneshot was interesting for a oneshot, but wouldn't necessarily have made for a good series as I think it would've gotten old really quick - and what the series has turned into makes for a much more engaging story, if you ask me. So really, it's the best of both worlds.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

she is still a very thirsty foxlady
Yeah, apparently I've not been reading the latest chapters and got it confused with something else. I like thirsty, too.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 9, 2018

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

"Extremely tired man likes fluffy tail" vs "Extremely horny couple do horny things" is my recollection.
Don't both of those describe kitsune wife?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

... coffee cup sleeves?
Now that you've said it, through the magic power of quantum, it is a fetish.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Oh wow, that's absolutely wonderful. I think you've forced me to go read it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

This just happens to be a link to the above manga, in case anyone wants to click it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

One curious upshot of waiting until manga is finished being published or scanlated is that I end up looking forward to manga finishing - and I've definitely been looking forward to this one!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Your avatar reminds me of Ryuushika-Ryuushika, one of my favorite SDL manga from a few years ago. Whatever happened to it?! Did it get licensed? Did the author stop working on it? Did the group run out of energy and stop translating it?
From the baka-updates page and the associated scanlation group page, it looks like the group is just very infrequent about releases and may have hit a wall of not having raws or someone to do the actual scanning of pages? It may be easist to jump on their irc channel and ask if you're really curious.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That's an extremely high bar to give it, but I'll take your recommendation and add it to my wishlist so I can read it when it's done, thanks!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The_White_Crane posted:

Uh well, I should say it's tonally and to some extent aesthetically YKK2.
It's not got quite the same atmosphere of wistfulness, I don't think, because the protagonists are on a journey with a specific goal in mind, which wasn't the case with Alpha for most of YKK.
Even if it's only ~0.85 YKKs, I'll still happily read it, because YKK is the epitome of everything so being a fraction of YKK is still a powerful recommendation.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I feel sure that Namtab would agree that bat life is good.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

MouTele is a thread graduate, so I feel appropriate in boasting about my fantastic new avatar here.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There's quite a few series.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tsundere character types seem very difficult to write properly, because first you have to decide whether you want the classic type that warms up to the other characters around them or whether you want the new type which essentially continues to flip between tsun and dere at the drop of the hat all throughout their arcs.
On top of that comes writing characters which are actually interesting despite their standoff-ish ways, not because of them (because that makes them come off as one-dimentional). This is especially difficult if the author is writing the new type, because quite often it's hard to get any other characteristic to properly shine through, and even if they succeed to begin with it seems to be very hard to base an arc around for the character to evolve and improve.
I used to share your sentiments about tsundere, to the point that I'd actively go out of my way to avoid routes in visual novels which had tsundere characters - but I've sort of changed my stance on it, since I found people who understood my plight, which meant that I got to read stories about tsundere characters which actually did did have character arcs that they went through and changed them for the better, and I think I would've been poorer from not reading those stories.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Crasical posted:

new MaoMao.

Apparently the 'Final Part' just refers to this particular arc/chapter, not the end of the manga. At least, I hope so...
It looks like there are only 5 volumes published in Japan with the last one only published a little longer than a month ago, but the baka-updates entry still lists it as ongoing, so there's hope yet.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Can't sing along to Rammsteins "Keine Lust", eh?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

One thing I like about Dowman's works is the repetition of "setup and Payoff" he does. Babylon much like Meloncholia is really about pairs of events working together and you can see this reflected in the even chapter count. Like how in Meloncholia the chapter about the school girls taking the organs of people they have crushes on wound up allowing Kid Nap certain death. The first was an isolated story at first, but then an aspect of it jumps into a later one for a different payoff or resolution. Or in this series the gangster aliens being indebted to Bub because he hosed all of them which allows them access to wormholes later Ironic if you think about how accessing holes got them into this situation

Oddman 11 and Hotel Voynich have this a little less since the number of recurring characters is greater so it might be sequences of 3 instead of 2. But there's always this sense of connectivity to his short stories even if they jump through multiple characters. It's not like other writers don't also do this, but it's got a very distinct rhythm here that I like. Definitely a nice story, wish we got more of his works as official releases.
Oh, this is absolutely spot-on - and another reason why it works so well for Dowman in particular is that the payoff is seemingly always an unexpected punchline, which makes for good comedy, especially in a surreal setting.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

Is it thirst when you're married and established to be smashing?
Thirst springs eternal, friend. It says so right in the bible.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Gloomy Rube posted:

Do you like silly 4koma based mostly on puns? Well here's a slice of life manga about an alien transfer student that fits that mold!

https://mangadex.org/title/28786/harumination
Can confirm, am paronomasiac, and I like this a lot.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The only way to track series that I've found to work consistently is to use baka-updates, and make use of the wishlist/blacklist/completed/readinglist.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Elfface posted:

Looks like Girls Group No. 7 (Dainana Joshikai Houkou on Mangadex) had an update. One that feels kinda final, and the series is flagged as 'complete' but I don't know if it still has more to go.
Mangadex uses Complete to mark that the series is completely published, and the last chapter will be marked END.
Baka-updates is better for keeping track of when something has finished publishing and finished scanlating, as it keeps separate categories for it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Chapter 1 and chapter 2 of Miss Saeki's Black Cat by Yuuki Ray is being translated by Loe (potentially given that I'm told Loe also does translations of adult VNs).
Will probably be picked up on the regular haunts soon enough?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mikl posted:

Two girls absolutely can make a baby.
Dynasty-Scans has a Science Babies tag just for this.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mods, please rename me to A Skeleton Crying In The Rain
and give me that image as an avatar

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Here is an archive of every post in this thread up until doomrider7' last post; it's not great for browsing, but at least everything's archived.
It's a compressed tar file, so you'll probably need 7zip to open it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I made a new archive which can be browsed like normal SA, and even includes images, so you don't have to rely on webhosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kitsune Spirit is incredibly powerful.