Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Isaac posted:

Heres a real belly scratcher in my craw. What the hell is Rocket man about?

Have you even heard the song? It's pretty self-explanatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

gnarlyhotep posted:

Have you even heard the song? It's pretty self-explanatory.

I dont have a songwriters commentary special edition which you seem to have. Its completely opaque. A nebulous mystery of meaning. Thats to a layman like me.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Frosty the Snowman is about an abusive, corrupt police officer.

Frosty WAS a jolly, happy soul. But those days are long gone.
He's a smoker with eyes that will burn holes into you if you're lucky, and if not he'll put that pipe out on your face.

People hadn't seen the 'real' Frosty that he'd kept hidden for a while. When some kids stole the hat off some guy on the street and slapped it on Frosty's head, Frosty freaked out and went looking for who assaulted him.

He starts beating the first man he imagines would own a silk hat, just really letting him have it. The kids think this is pretty funny.

Frosty knew that the 'Sun' (AKA a common name for a newspaper) was looking for a news story and proceeded to get out of the neighborhood. But still wanting to have some 'fun', he goes with a broomstick to 'the village' to beat up people who were helpless to stop a cop.
He only came to a stop when confronted by a nameless traffic cop who wanted to know what was going on. He spins a yarn and assists the traffic cop in loading up one of his victims.

Before departing himself, as the traffic cop had turned the corner with the injured man, he gave them all a warning and an example...

Don't squeal about what I did to anyone, cause I'm coming back and I'll beat the hell out of anyone who talks.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Isaac posted:

I dont have a songwriters commentary special edition which you seem to have. Its completely opaque. A nebulous mystery of meaning. Thats to a layman like me.

I guess it's one of those things to which only the intellectual are privy. My apologies.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

gnarlyhotep posted:

I guess it's one of those things to which only the intellectual are privy. My apologies.

Actually I think that version never got released in Australia.

Wait this doesn't change your point, disregard.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
"I was a lonely teenage broncin' buck
With a pink carnation and a pickup truck
But I knew I was out of luck"

suspiciously rhymes with cuck

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Grody posted:

I thought buck was gently caress in this bit. I imagining gettjng some flower and goinf for a broncin gently caress

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Isaac posted:

It's about an astronaut, like Neil Armstrong or Michael Collins.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Do Junior's Farm and Maggie's Farm take place on the same farm?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Isaac posted:

Hmm, perhaps you require a dramatic interpretation of it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lul-Y8vSr0I&t=53s

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Grody posted:

wasn't he watching some couple dance in the gym

sounds like cuck behavior to me :cumpolice:

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
the chevy hit the levy op! the chevy hit the loving levy!!

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
you know what i dont get? that horse with no name song. he could've given the horse a new name at any time. and it seems really unimportant that he give the horse a name anyway, since he cant even remember his own name, and that seems like it would be priority numero uno

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

wiffle ball bat posted:

the chevy hit the levy op! the chevy hit the loving levy!!

shut up idiot

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
dont be mad at me duder, im sorry we got off to a bad start in the gawker thread. let's begin again.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

wiffle ball bat posted:

dont be mad at me duder, im sorry we got off to a bad start in the gawker thread. let's begin again.

no let's not

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
now american pie is generally considered a very bad song, but is it as bad as brown eyed girl? hm.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
it's about a dude who's so old and crotchety that he thinks the Beatles and Bob Dylan ruined music

it's basically if some 30 year old wrote a song about how Kurt Cobain dying ruined music forever because it caused 9/11

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Isaac posted:

And another thing, the word is “astronaut.” When you run around Cape Canaveral saying “I’m a rocket man!” it’s embarrassing for everyone.

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/a-letter-to-elton-john-from-the-office-of-the-nasa-administrator

Hot Cosby
Sep 23, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
american pie owns you fags

(except during the late 90s and early 00s when me and friends would be at karaoke bars and some douche would decide he could sing it)

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
American Pie is a real crowdpleaser, you're bound to win a Battle of the Bands if you play it there.

P.S. I think "Oven Wrangler" suits you well, gnarly :)

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Leroy Dennui posted:

P.S. I think "Oven Wrangler" suits you well, gnarly :)

Thanks, I think it fits too, as every time I need to use the oven I have to turn on the gas with a wrench.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Isaac posted:

I thought buck was gently caress in this bit. I imagining gettjng some flower and goinf for a broncin gently caress

Roof Koreans are Best Koreans

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mr. Popo posted:

Roof Koreans are Best Koreans

someone post that craigslist ad

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

etalian posted:

someone post that craigslist ad

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It's about suicide and ugly cars.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aInne49-DcM

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
american pie by don mclean is ok but its no the joker by the steve miller band

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Isaac posted:

Hrm my posting definitely deteriorates a bit in the evening.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I prefer Madonna's version

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Isaac posted:

I recently learned within the past year Bowie's Space Oddity is about a heroin junkie, so I just naturally assume Rocket Man is too

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
RIP Mr La Bamba

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

it's marvin. your cousin, marvin bopper!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Someone post that TFR fanfic about the plane crash that 'killed' Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Mister Speaker posted:

Someone post that TFR fanfic about the plane crash that 'killed' Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper.

9/11?

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

I heard this thing on NPR about how the line is "whiskey IN Rye" as in Rye, NY and there's this whole explanation about how he's from New Rochelle and there was a bar there called The Levee and then later I looked into it on the internet and it turns out it's all a bunch of hooey.

Robot Made of Meat
Oct 16, 2015

Perhaps they were drinking whiskey with a Ry-Krisp garnish.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
Like all songs, this is best sung by two severely drunk women in their 20's who know maybe five lines outside of the chorus at your local lovely bar.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The best version was the Brady Bunch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7peFHjFoblk

Back when music was real, man. None of this autotune computer stuff

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Isaac posted:

Being gay, in the particular. Being queer, in the universal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
'All this science I dont understand
It's just my job five days a week'

Yes here I am operating this incredibly complicated, expensive, high profile, dangerous flying machine that I know nothing about. Oh look at that 3:30 well see y'all Monday I'm off to hunt for some space whores in the cold vacuum of space.

• Locked thread