Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
David Wells - Somewhere quiet

Gavin eagerly followed along with David’s proposed plan, clearly happy to have moved on from more philosophical talk on the nature of god and religion and liking the sound of helping the villagers. He raises only one issue. “Lord, what should I say to the people? I cannot go back to being a priest of the false Creator, but I am not sure people will be happy to hear the truth. I fear they may attempt to harm me to silence me. Is there a way you can protect me, Lord, at least until the people come to truly know your word and your intentions?”

Aldebaran - Coastal Village

As the blood spreads out, you feel the anticipation of the hunt and the struggle. Then gliding from the depths comes the largest shark you have ever seen. It circles warily, gliding through the water like the king of the sea. Finally, it makes its move, lunging at you through the waters, rows of razor sharp fangs reaching out to tear you to shreds, but you manage to deftly dodge out of the way. This process repeats several times, the shark circles, it lunges, and you dodge away. Then, as the shark begins to circles again you strikes. This time it is you who lunges, grabbing the shark’s dorsal fin for purchase with one hand, while the other smashes into it its body shattering cartilage and bone. The shark is lamed, but not defeated and it struggles to escape, but you do not lose your grip. Rather you pull forward and delivers a second punishing blow, this time to the shark’s head, smashing it inwards. By this point blood has filled the water, but the battle is over. The shark spasms once or twice more out of reflex then falls motionless.

In victory you feast, slowly sinking down towards the seabed as you rip mouthfuls of shark meat from its body. Only once most of the meat on the shark has been consumed leaving only bones do you feel satiated. Then full and drowsy you drifts to sleep, secure in the knowledge that none of the seas other creatures will dare challenge you.

When you awakens you feel stronger than ever. When you look at yourself, you realized you’ve put on some more muscle and you’re even bigger than you were before.

Thanks to your actions, A Small Mountain[+2] has become A Not So Small Mountain[+4]. If we were further in the game, this sort of post would be the moment when you’d receive a new domain, but its a bit too early for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

"Hmm, I think I have an idea." David replied and pointed a claw, that looked like a finger under the illusion, at Gavin and then spoke. "Gavin. Those that attempt to strike you down shall find themselves weak and without strength."

Using my power of Hexes [+4] and Divine Strength [+2] to curse anyone who tries to strike at Gavin with weakness.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Winston Smithers - The wilds around Snowend
BP: 1

Disappointed in his golems' performance, but not unduly so, Winston turned his attention to the scrying ball. With a cold glare he observed the going on and goings off of Snowend, taking meticulous notes and considering all points of relevant conversations he could get a glimpse of. A shoddy collection of 'free people' -Winston couldn't help but smirk at the term- had to be a poorly devised society. Such a society, Winston reasoned, built on the caprice of individual whim could not withstand a large scale disaster without falling to chaos. How would such people react to a famine, for example? In The Dominion, disruption of food access was followed by strict rationing measures, and in bad cases a lottery was held to determine those who had to be left to starve. Winston could remember one person in his very own hub, a man he could not really remember save for his slightly controversial ideas who met such very fate. A society like Snowend lacked the strong central authority needed to make such necessary decisions.

Convinced that the village could be brought to heel with the disruption of resource-access or important logistics, Winston was determined to find out what those were.

Using Organized [+6] to spy on Snowend and try to figure out if there are any important resources or logistics they depend on that could be disrupted. Something that could be done to teach the Barbarians some humility.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
Adamas - The Cellar, Farming Village
BP: 2

Drat. Waking Karl, Adamas tells him to how to take care of Armas Miller. That would take care of things while he rested-

The knock on the door was inconvenient. It was the village elder. "I'll meet with you this afternoon to discuss it, when I'm presentable alright?" He replied. Tired. Adamas needed rest.

A few hours of rest / recuperation before the chat.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

David can feel the Hex settle into place, and Gavin reports feeling something, though he can’t quite find words to describe the sensation. His fears assuaged, Gavin is all too happy to lead David to an abandoned warehouse on the edge of the town. He explains a merchant house had once planned to use Whiteplain as a local hub, but they quickly found that there was not enough trade in the area to pay for the expansion. The building certainly seems as though it has seen better days, the “bones” of the structure seemed strong and stable, but the disrepair is otherwise obvious.

“Most of the townsfolk steer clear of this place so it should be safe for you to stay in without fear of being discovered.”

Gavin offers to help fix the place up, make it a bit less drafty and unpleasant. “Something better fit to be your temple.” He adds.

It quickly becomes apparent that having spy-lenses placed only outdoors is a major disadvantage. As other than the smith working his forge and anvil, most of the town's business is done indoors, likely due to the cold and otherwise general unpleasantness of being out in the snow when a warm hearth beckons. Winston is able to see groups of hunters and loggers leave early in the morning, and return in the evening carrying the fruits of their labors.

His network is also well placed to see someone walk in from the north of the village, a little after the hunters and loggers depart.. He is dressed in heavy furs, but even through them you can clearly tell he is a giant of a man. He carries a large leather sack on his back. First he walks into the tavern, then a short while later heads to another house this one with tanning racks outside. He visits a few more houses staying briefly in each. Then he heads over to the Smith. You see him hand over a small stack of silver coins to the smith and receive the ax the smith had been working on when you were staying with him, as well as a large number of metal arrowheads. Placing the arrow-heads in his pack he leaves the way he came, heading off into the north, not following any obvious path. By the time the man leaves it's just around noon.

From what you could see, it appears that the village relies on locally gathered wood for fired and building material, and local game for food. You recall that the Smith had mentioned that the village occasionally trades with the more nomadic tribes who populate the northern wastes. However, you can deduce that there must be more regular trade with others as well, probably via the road running south, as there do not appear to be any natural sources of metal nearby, but the Smith seems to have more than enough to work with.

“Sir, it appears someone has been kidnapped. I really do need to speak with you at once.” There is a more suspicious note in the Elder’s voice this time.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Sighing heavily, Adamas quietly bids Karl and Armas to start working on restoring the celler and keep out of sight. If anyone asked, they were doing work for him on his new home. If the elder felt like barging in, he would find them working.

Adamas exits the cellar to meet with the elder outside. "I didn't have a restful evening. No mattress or bedding. What is this all about now?"

Mortal Quality Statesmen: +2 Everything's fine here. We're all fine here.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 5, 2015

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Marko Krepostnoy - Merchant's Rest Inn

Marko watched the faces of the crowd as he played, taking in their emotions, their changes. He wasn't used to manipulating people like this, but the music seemed to make it simple. It felt right to play, like he was expressing something both of himself and greater than himself.

He sighed, as the song ended. Another mystery to throw on the pile. "I thank you for your audience, gentlemen. In respect for the name of this inn, I will close tonight with a story." He flexes the accordion. "It is the tale of Sadko, a merchant and musician, who plays the gusli for the Sea Tsar and finds out just how dangerous it can be to bargain with powers beyond that of man." The bylina is an adventure, with danger aplenty but an eventual happy ending. Just the thing to wrap a night.

= = =

Marko wakes the next morning, slightly hungover but in better spirits than he has been in months. He tromps downstairs, shouldering his kit--now heavier with his take from last night--and makes for the few merchants already awake. "Ah, gentlemen. I wish to purchase a horse and a sword, if you have one that isn't too shabby or expensive. Nothing fancy."

Divine: Music [+2] to tell the tale of Sadko and the Sea Tsar. Sadko's tale is not sad at all but it has tension towards the middle and humor and happiness towards the end. To make my purchase, I'm playing on A True Soviet! [+4], but Marko has little experience speaking with bourgeoise or making purchases, so this Conscript [-2] is probably going to say the wrong thing...

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

quote:

Adamas - Cellar Interlude

The Village Elder gravely spoke to Adamas "When no one saw Mr. Miller this morning, someone went in to check on him. They found his home in disarray, there were signs of some sort of struggle having taken place. I am going around to ask if anyone has seen or heard anything." Adamas tried to let the elder off easy. "Odd, I didn't hear anything. I've been at home all night. I didn't have a restful evening. No mattress or bedding. If you want I can keep an eye out?"

But the Village Elder was undeterred. "Well it does seem odd, that the night after a stranger comes to town one of our own disappears. You wouldn't mind if I had a look around would you, to ease the minds of the rest of the village."
Annoyed but not showing it, Adamas did invite him inside. "Of course, come inside." As village Elder walks around the inside of the shack, he found nothing next and headed for the cellar door. Adamas lead the elder in first, showing the man his back down the stairs. "You haven't looked elsewhere have you?"

The Village Elder followed Adamas down the stairs. "Others are preparing search parties. I just thought it would be best to head off suspicion. You know how people can get, suspicious of outsiders. The last thing our village needs is to lynch an innocent man based on nothing but fear and rumor." Adamas spoke half heartedly. "Oh, a gathering to find him. I wouldn't mind joining them at all later." As Adamas gets into the cellar, he lets the Elder go past him. The elder prattled on. "People will split up into groups, and gather again later to compare what they find." He mentions offhandedly, then freezes as he sees both Karl and Armas. "Mr. Miller, Mr. Smith what're you doing here?" He asks incredulously.

Adamas answered. "Is that his last name? Miller? Karl and Armas have been helping me clean the cellar. Isn't that right boys?"

Karl nods eagerly, but his black eye is obvious, and Armas just continues to stand staring straight ahead. The elder turns to face Adamas, his eyes accusing, "What exactly are you doing here, and what have you done to Mr. Miller?"
Adamas tried one last non-violent option. "They're drunk. I put them to work. Armas, Karl. Tell your Elder that you're both working for me."

Karl was flawless. "It's true, Elder Jameison, M... my friend here hired me to help restore the house." Karl is noticeably sober, but he still almost slips and called Adamas Master on reflex. Armas unfortunately undermines his efforts by mechanically turning to face the elder and saying "That you're both working for me."
Needless to say this does not serve to assuage the man, and he starts heading for the stairs. "I'll see you pay for whatever you've done to Armas, outsider, and if Mr. Smith is your accomplice he will pay the price as well."

Adamas pinches the bridge of his nose. Then whips out his sword, holding the edge to the Elder's throat. "Karl be so kind as to bind the Elder for me." the Elder was indignant "How dare you!" The elder sputters, fear leaking into his voice. "You can't do this to me." With no real rope handy, Karl removes his shirt, tears a few strips from it and uses it to securely tie the elder's hands behind his back, the man cries out, "Karl, don't be a fool, if you stop this right now I'll offer you full clemancy." Karl simply uses another strip from his now ruined shirt to gag the Elder.

"You won't feel this way forever, I assure you." Adamas says smugly. "Karl, be so kind as to wait upstairs. If any villagers come looking for the Elder, tell them that he and I have paired off to go looking for Mr. Miller. My experience as an adventurer was needed. If anyone asks you about your black eye, you hurt yourself while repairing my home."
Adamas turned to the elder and made sure his bindings were completely and utterly secure with no way to cut them on anything in the cellar or escape.

"Yes, Master." Karl's words and tone of complete deference shock the Elder and he looks at you with fear in his eyes. Examining the bindings, it appears that Karl did an excellent job, they are more than enough to contain the Elder who is not a young man.
Adamas looked to Mr. Miller. "Stand in the corner, say: beep beep beep when it turns into the afternoon." Looking down on the Elder Adamas sneered. "You were rude. That is unforgivable. If you move or try to escape I will kill you or have Karl kill you. Now stay still while I rest."
Adamas decided to rest until the afternoon.

Adamas is going to rest up. Seems like he has some work to do later.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Marko Krepostnoy - Merchant's Rest Inn

The entire inn listens in rapt attention, following along with the song, leaning in looking nervous when the tension increases, and exploding in celebration at the hero’s victory. When it's over, the applause is deafening, and the calls for encore persist long after Marko heads to the room given to him by the innkeep. The room itself is very nice, the nicest in the place assured the innkeep. It’s nicely decorated and even features a full mirror and wooden wardrobe to hold clothing. Best of all, the bed is extremely soft and comfortable, letting Marko get the best night’s sleep he’s hard since before the war started.

Coming down in the morning, Marko find a full breakfast of bacon and eggs waiting for him, on the house the Innkeep assures him.

When he seeks out a merchant, he finds that pretty much everyone is eager to sell to you, squabbling with each other over prices. Marko has no frame of reference as to whether he’s getting a good deal, but the fact that all the merchant seems very eager to impress you and win your approval certainly seems like a good sign. Of course, the merchant who finally makes the lowest offer, much to the annoyance of the others who insist he must be selling below cost, explains he’ll happily accept a song in lieu of other payment, which the other merchants heartily approve of.

Ya, these guys are treating you like a rock-star, so no BP as Conscript didn’t really count,

Adamas - Cellar

Adamas catches a few hours rest, it's less than pleasant with the Elder staring daggers at him the entire time. One time he thinks he can hear talking through the cellar door, but no one comes down.

When he awakens he feels refreshed, but rather hungry.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Adamas - Cellar

Feeling refreshed Adamas peeks his head out and sends Karl to go bring food and drink. Giving him a silver and copper coins to buy them if need be with instructions not to steal or bring attention to himself.

Turning to the elder, with the completely useless Miller as an afterthought, Adamas removed the gag on the elder.

"Doing what I want. Serving me faithfully. Will fulfill and make you feel joy. The best you've ever felt in your life."

After executing the command, Adamas puts it to the test. "Answer me, how do you feel?"

Using Divine Quality: Command +2 . Testing it with a simple request

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Nothing too obvious to strike at, Winston concluded. The community might be simply too small for any logistics-disruption plan other than a prolonged siege to starve it to be functional. Winston bounced a plethora of plans of action. Most plans involving destruction of property so that they would beg for his return were too risky, ineffectual or too likely to be blamed on him in the first place.

Winston rubbed his chin, stubble starting to be clearly visible. Perhaps he was going about this wrong. The Barbarians, despite their uncivilized ways, were a hardy people. External pressures might not make them realize their need for change. Perhaps, then, internal ones would work better.

Winston got to work. This afternoon's work would involve unmelting ice once more. Its crystalline structure lent itself well to vibration, and thus sound. Therefore, speakers could made. And with speakers, he could spread The Dominion's word. However, messages within clear hearing range would obviously not function. A more... subconscious approach would be necessary.

Using Artifice [+2] to construct a bunch of small (read: carriable by the small wooden golems) hypnotic speakers. Here is what I intend them to be capable of. Spreading subconscious propaganda just at/below the hearing threshold and projecting Winston's voice. Also, they ought to be usable to interrogate sleeping people when they are dreaming. As in, if asked questions with the speakers on they will be compelled to answer in their sleep. The effects of subconscious manipulation are probably more pronounced on sleeping people as well. I will use a bonus point for this.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 28, 2015

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Adamas - Cellar

The Elder shivers for a few moment, the Command sinking in. When Adamas removes his gag he screams, “Untie me right now and I’ll be merciful.” He goes on shouting for a little while, until as part of a rant he mentions that he's angry. Then, as soon as the words leave his mouth he freezes, his eyes bulging, and he shudders as an intense feeling of joy overwhelms him. He’s very confused, and a bit scared. “What did you do to me?” he asks quietly.

It was long and delicate work, but once he started he was able to fall into a grove, and churned out more speakers than he had originally intended, they were also very small and difficult to spot. Looking over them now that he was finished, he realized these were a finer quality than anything he’d ever seen in the Dominion, making even the most cutting edge sound-projectors from the best factories seem like simplistic children’s toys. When he counted them up, he realized he had approximately 70 speakers. Roughly equal to the number of buildings in Snowend.

Very high roll + BP = Huge success.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Adamas - Cellar

"I'll level with you. I'm a god. Your village is going to be the first of many worshipers in my ascension. You shouldn't be fearful. Sit up and we'll talk some more." The elder if he sat up should feel good, hopefully ready to chat.

Asking another small task.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

BP: 0

Winston smiled as he inspected his handiwork. The voice of The Dominion would reach the Barbarians. Winston called the wooden golems to himself. He instructed them to perform a similar nighttime sweep of the town as they did with the lenses. Except this time they were to sneak into buildings to plant speakers. However, they would have to value remaining undetected higher than their actual mission objective. If getting into the buildings was deemed too difficult, they should not attempt it. If they were unable to move silently whilst inside, they should not risk it. They would plant the speakers outside instead in those cases.

Winston would observe them at their work from his lenses whilst eating his dinner. After they return, he will sleep if the plan was completed without issue.

Using Organized [+6] to make the wooden golems plant the speakers inside buildings, prioritizing the more important looking ones. If they are incapable of doing this sneakily enough, they should plant the speakers outside instead. Remaining undetected is more important than completing the mission, so they should prioritize caution.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 28, 2015

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

"A temple with only one follower seems a little empty." David mused to Gavin. "But some help would be good. Especially if you are going to bring me people who have strayed from the path of good, for us to help." He wasn't sure if Gavin really knew anything about building or carpentry though, he didn't. But having his first follower be a carpenter by trade before being a priest seemed extremely ironic if it happened to be so.

David's going to work with Gavin to fix the place up a little. Divine Strength [+2] will help a lot with moving stuff and holding heavy things in place.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Bonus Point(s):

Reinvigorated, Aldebaran continued his journey. His eyes kept a sharp watch for ships or a port. Anything to indicate he was approaching a major hub of civilization. What he would do when he found such a place he couldn't say for sure. It wasn't likely he would be received any better than he had been, and a proper city would have proper soldiers protecting it. On the other hand, it would also have learned individuals. People who may have some insight into the changes he had, and still was, undergoing. It had been rather surprising to awaken to a world just a little smaller than it had been the day before. Would this continue until he was a veritable titan among men? The idea was grimly amusing.

His thoughts continued to wander. The elder that first night had mentioned he knew nothing of people like him, but the world was a vast place. It seemed absurd to think he alone was granted these gifts. As this thought occurred to him, Aldebaran slowed his pace, treading water as he considered. He had power over the seas, that much seemed true. The waves heeded his call, and the creatures within obeyed him. He had not yet dared anything too extreme. In the stories, power was a fickle thing. Overstep yourself and it would destroy you. Despite that, perhaps he had been thinking too narrowly. If the ocean was his, that may hold true for more ephemeral aspects of it. Like an awareness of beings that likewise held a dominion in the deeps.

Hmm.

Closing his eyes, Aldebaran quieted his senses. It was difficult. He was not a stupid man, but introspection and meditation were not remotely his forte. But, like building muscle, they only way to improve was to do.

Aldebaran will use his Oceans +2 to try and expand his awareness of the seas as a whole. First he will attempt to sense himself, to try and get an understanding of what sort of presence he projects in a spiritual sense. After that, he will reach out and search for something or someone else, if anything exists out there at all, that has a similar aura.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

quote:

Adamas - Cellar interlude

The Village Elder stays how he is for a second, but eventually gives in, sitting up. He shudders again as another burst of joy flows through him.

Adamas: "There, that wasnt so bad. Was it?"

Village Elder: "What, what did you do to me? Why does it feel so good to do what you say?"

Adamas: "I'm a god. A realtively new god. It feels good because its what happens. It is its own reward."

Village Elder: "Does that mean it will always feel this good to do as you tell me?"

Adamas: "It can actually. Just being loyal and worshiping me can as well. I have to will it and you have to want it."

Village Elder: "What happened to Armas?" The Elder asks, a note of fear in his voice.

Adamas: "Armas...He didnt want it. I grew impatient with him."

Village Elder shrank back, fear in his eyes. "Does that mean I'll end up like that if I do what you want?"

Adamas: "No. It was more of an accident than my will that he be reduced to this. I can see that it wont work and that it would be wrong."

Village Elder: "So if I go along with this and help you, you won't make any of the villagers like him?"

Adamas could see his desire to give into the joy warring with his sense of duty his position entailed.

Adamas: "I wouldn't want for any of the villagers to end up like him. More like you actually. If anything in my absence I'd have them follow you and in doing so know they are doing what I want."

Village Elder: You see relief in the Elder's eyes, he's on the edge now you can tell. "And what do you want with us?"

Adamas: "Loyalty, worship, serving me faithfully. You can stay and live your lives as normal. Feeling the joy and contentment you feel, always."

Village Elder: That is enough for the Elder, "Then I will do as you ask."

(6:21:21 PM) Village_Elder: (He's willing to play along for now, not enough to make the Command permanent yet.)

Adamas: "I'm going to untie you now. If you could gather the entire village together I can speak with them and make your reward permenant."

Village Elder: Still not sure whether he wants this to be permenant, but hard-pressed to resist the reward for obedience being pumped straight into his brain, the Elder nods. "I will do ash you wish."

Adamas: "Thank you Elder. I will see you at the gathering." Adamas lets the elder go. It was all he could do at this point.

Adamas - The Village Meeting Area

After eating and telling Karl the good news, Adamas made sure he was looking his best as he made his way to the village meeting place. Refreshed as he was feeling his spirits lifted as he saw the gethering. He would wait to be introduced before speaking.

Time to meet the peeps!

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

The wooden golems go silently about their work. Using whatever means at their disposal, cracks in the foundation, chimneys, loose floorboards, they infiltrate the buildings of Snowend. By the time the sun dawned, every building in Snowend has been fitted with one of your speakers.

“There will be others in time, I’m sure of that.” Gavin replies. He is not a carpenter by training, but he was expected to help maintain the church, so he knows a little about what to do. While David cleans up the interior, moving dusty crates and the occasional fallen beam, Gavin does what he can to patch up any holes in the building, and after a few surreptitious trips church, returns with some lamps to provide some light, and various tables and chairs. Realizing that none of it would fit David, he assembles a dais of cushions for David’s use.

By the time night falls, the warehouse feels much more cosy and presentable, even if it is still dilapidated.

As Aldebaran attempted to reach out, he could feel a buzz of activity to the south, ships cutting through the waves. It was distant, maybe a few days swim away. However, when he attempted to understand himself or to feel others like him he felt nothing. It would appear that he could use his power to feel things that interacted with the Ocean, not something as abstract as spiritual auras.

Adamas - The Village Meeting Area

Karl was overjoyed, whether because of some genuine feeling towards the village or simply because you were happy. It took a couple of hours, before the sun started to set and the villagers would gather. At the appropriate time, the elder came to get him, and Adamas could see the change those few hours had brought. The man radiated happiness and contentment, and when the old man saw him, his smile widened, and he made a respectful bow. “Lord, the people are gathered, I will bring you to them.”

The elder was as good as his word. The villagers are gathered, near the center of the village, chatting amongst themselves. When the Elder waves for their attention they fall silent. “I know you are all concerned about Mr. Miller, but you need not fear. There is a man here with something important to speak to us about. I have already met with him, and I ask you trust me when I say this may be the most important moment in the village’s history. Please give him your undivided attention.

Clearly swayed by the Elder’s words, the people wait silently for your speech. Most don’t seem to recognize Karl, but after a few seconds one or two do, and they seemed shocked to see him not only sober but happy for the first time in months. They do not interrupt your speech however.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Adamas - Village Meeting Area

"Thank you elder..." Adamas paused. "Greetings, I am Adamas. I come to you in the wake of recent events to issue a call to enlightenment. Let no one deny the perils of our time. While we are mired in our misery with one another, divided by the petty strife of our common history, we will lose and destroy all that we have accomplished in life. It is time for us as individuals to set aside our longstanding solitude and unite. The time has come my people, to rally unto me. In unity lies strength. Already Karl and your elder have joined with me. Out of the many we shall forge an indivisible whole. "

"Serving me will make you feel the best you've felt in memory; Being loyal and faithful to me will make you feel the best you have ever felt in your life." "

Adamas paused, letting the command threaded in his speech sink in. "All I ask is this one act of faith, proof of the next thing I am going to announce."

"Kneel." He would let them feel it.

"I am a god. If you are faithful and choose to worship me you will feel this way for the rest of your lives." He motioned to Karl. "Karl is a changed man because of my touch, in his surrender and service he has been made whole. Let me make you whole."

Using Divine Quality: Command +2 and one BP.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 29, 2015

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Winston was very impressed with his golems' performance. The little wooden ones had proven their worth time and again. With some fine tuning they would make a fine Panopticon staple down the line.

As for the day, Winston set the speakers to transmit hypnotic, fear-mongering propaganda directed towards the Empire and the Nomads just below the conscious hearing threshold. Messages about the Empire's inevitable domination of such an unorganized group of people as the Northmen to instill lingering fear and doubt into their way of life. Messages about the Nomad's reclusiveness and whether they were a people to be trusted.

Winston observed the village. He assumed that the waking mind was less susceptible to inceptionary hypnosis, but some difference in their manner might be noticed. He would also sleep in the afternoon and wake at nightfall, for he had interrogations to perform at night.

Using Organized [+6] to start my fear-mongering propaganda blitz and observe its effects on the populace. Winston will sleep in the afternoon because he needs to do stuff at night.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Theodore Beauregarde, The Watering Hole

Theodore watched as the great tower held for a moment before crumbling away into ash on the breeze. He breathed heavily, sweat dripping from his forehead, and he felt keenly the exertion of what he had just done. But tired though he was, he felt somewhat stronger now, almost like working a muscle. The force might be dissipated right now, but when it filled him once more, he would hold more of it than he had before. Slowly, he turns to the tribe.

"My... apologies for that...hah... outburst. It was...hah... undignified of me. I did not come to this place by choice--I woke up in this land, torn far from my home, a far more comfortable, more civilized world. I sound ungrateful, I realize. I was lost, and it was you who found me, and offered me your hospitality, such as it is. I do not know what would have become of me otherwise. But unfortunately, I am accustomed to more than mere survival. I do not have it in me to be content with this. For all the work that you surely do to scratch out a living here, all that you have to show for it is scars and other day of struggle. That, I cannot do." Thedore paused for a moment, then shook his head. "I have been taken from my home, but my home has not yet been taken from me, not so long as I live. I will have my tea in the mighty towers of Albia once more, even if I have to rebuild them myself!" Towering flames, unseen elsewhere, reflected in Theodore's monocle, and sparks began to fly off of his hands with every gesture. "That is why I am here!"

Going to try True Gentleman [+4] for my speech about civilization being the bees knees to be at least mildly rousing. Unfortunately, Theodore is probably a little condescending during it, which may or may not bring Genteel [-2] into the mix.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 29, 2015

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

"Okay. Tonight we shall rest, and then tomorrow, we shall begin our work. Before I show myself in front of everyone, it would be best if there were a number of...followers, like yourself, who could help guide and reassure people. We will find them and explain our mission to them." David says to Gavin. "Today has been difficult for you Gavin, so go home and rest."

Sending Gavin to go and find some more people to prepare. It's probably easier to work in the shadows if I have a few followers, rather than just one priest. David will use Illusion [+2] to disguise himself again in the morning before they arrive.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
The Count of Alisburg-Schwarzfort

The Count just sighs as two of them men die at sea.
"Nevermind, when low tide comes some of you come down here and see if it can be reached. Follow the Fenrir back to the Schwarzfort."

Once there the men are allowed to spend a night in the imposing structure. The following morning the Count wakes them up nice and early and splits them up into three groups.

"The healthy and strong shall take up the tools I have made and go out to fell trees for their homes. You shall build a village in front of the Schwarzfort, easily within my protection.
Those who are neither too strong nor too weak will stay here and gather edible berries and seeds from the forest. Create farming plots and plant them.
The weak and tired shall rest, gather water in buckets and worship at the chapel.
May Knowledge Illuminate you all. Go!"

For the next few days this continues, with the Count lending a hand towards building and the movement of trees. The Fenrir are also expected to help.
Order the men to work after spending a night inside. The strong cut down trees and build homes, the weak gather water and worship and the middle group gets berries and seeds and plants them. With Change +2 and Warhammer Use +2 the Count helps with cutting down trees and building structures with the logs. The Fenrir are expected to help all groups while the priest leads the weak in worship.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

The crowd shivered as your Command pasted itself into the brains. When you finished your speech they looked at you for a second, then the Elder nodded his endorsement, and they knelt, more for his sake then out of any genuine belief in your words. That lasted until their knees hit the floor, as all at once a wave of bliss poured through them, the single greatest sensation they had ever experienced. The villagers were bewildered, confused, and unsure as how to proceed. When you declared yourself a god and promised that this bliss might be eternal they were didn’t believe you.

Then, Karl took your introduction as opportunity to testify, “You all know the state I was in after Cynthia’s death. The world was grim and gone, and I tried to bury myself in a bottle. I would have died in there if God hadn’t come to me in my weakness and showed me my proper place. He speaks the truth, through surrender to him I have gained the happiness the world would deny us.”

Karl continues to speak, and you are about to interrupt him when you realize what he is doing, and why it was the right decision to bring him. Karl had been in these people’s shoes the night before, and he knew there was nothing that would please you more than to have them swiftly brought into your thrall. So, remembering the moments and realizations from his own experience that had led him each step deeper into joyful slavery to you, he was leading the crowd to the same road. Only, thanks to him already knowing the path he could lead them straight from milestone to milestone and skip the directionless wandering in between.

By the time night had fully come, the people were fully in your thrall, already dependent on the constant thrum of joy and the occasional bursts of bliss coursing through their brain as they served you loyally. You know the command will be wearing off soon, but before you can do anything Karl comes before you, bowing low he respectfully asks, “God, I beg your indulgence. I know what these people are feeling, and if you want them to truly be yours as I am, you must let the spell break for a time. Only when they feel the loss of your blessing will they truly know how much they need you, and only then will they be ready to truly surrender themselves to you completely.”

Success, the village is currently following the same model as Karl, thanks in part to his deft intervention. Currently the Command is still in effect, but it’ll end during your post, so whether you follow Karl’s advice is up to you.

The lack of lenses indoors severely hampers Winston’s attempts to determine the effectiveness of his speakers. The only change you notice is that fewer people seem to venturing outside at all. Your short time evaluating them make it difficult to interpret this, for you are aware that it's possible this is the normal level of movement, or that there is a degree of variability. It’s impossible for you to tell, you can take some consolation from the fact that the more time they spend indoors the more time they spend exposed to the speakers.

After your nap and meal, it's rather late out, late enough that most of Snowend should be asleep if the Smith had been any example.

Theodore Beauregarde, The Camp

The orc you’ve been speaking to, and who’s name you still do not know, walks up to you and claps you on the shoulder. “You’ve earned my respect, stranger. I can feel the fire in your heart, that’s something we all can respect. But, if you want to keep my respect, then you had better open your eyes. You think we’re barely scraping by because you’re blinded by your own life. This is the life we choose. You think these scars come from the hunt?” He laughs heartily, “These are from battle, we live like this because it keeps us strong. We are the vanguard against the elves and the Empire. There isn’t a knight or legionnaire across the Empire that controls the entire world that doesn’t fear us. There is a reason the Orc Plains are free from Imperial control and we are it, we have the strength, the power to hold off the greatest force in history.” He stares you right in the eye, and you can see the intensity, the steel, in them, “So perhaps the next time before you look down upon us, you should remember that, for whatever you think, there’s no force in this world that can best us. Oh, and in case I forgot to mention it this camp is one of dozens. So you go and build your towers, but don’t ever disrespect us again, or you might find those towers crumbling down beneath our might.”

He takes a step back and extends his hand to shake, “My name is Haakon, by the way. If you want to learn more about the sort of strength that makes foreign kings tremble, then I’m happy to teach you.” If you take his hands you can feel the strength of his grip and the callouses on his hand.

Enjoy your bonus point.

Gavin nods at your plan. “I know some people who have long doubted the Creator and doubted the Church, people who would be receptive to your message. I’ll be happy to speak to them on your behalf.”

When you ask him to leave, he looks down sheepishly and responds. “Lord, would it be permissible for me to sleep here? I will remain out of your way, but I do not think I can bring myself to sleep in the church, not after what has happened.”

Each group sets out to do their work, and they work with the zeal of converts. Each day more trees are felled, to the point that there is now a considerable clearing about Schwarzfort. On the dawn of the third day, you survey the work. Your followers construction is primitive, as none of the survivors possess much knowledge of construction or carpentry beyond the very basics. The lack of access to metals also makes anything more complex difficult, as structures have to be held together primarily by wooden pegs and gravity, since there are no nails. However, your followers muddle by as best they can, and you are starting to see huts erected after a few false starts. Luckily there were no injuries from the collapses of the first few designs, as there are none studied in the healers arts among those who survived the wreck.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Karl was right. He would know most of all actually. Turning to the crowd, Adamas spoke again. "The feeling will fade without my blessing. I will give you time to make your own choice. I will wait at the Elder's house to wait for your decision."

Adamas would wait for it to fade, and then see

Going to heed Karl for now. Letting it fade, then waiting for those who really want this to join.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

David paused for a moment in surprise. "Of course. I just thought you would want to sleep in a room with a bed and...actual windows. Also one without bugs and all that."

Come tomorrow David is still sending Gavin to go and find some more people to prepare. It's probably easier to work in the shadows if I have a few followers, rather than just one priest. David will use Illusion [+2] to disguise himself again in the morning before they arrive.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Karl thanked you for trusting him, and then escorted you to the Elder’s house. A few minutes after you’ve safely ensconced yourself within, you begin to hear a clamour from the crowd, wails and weeping. Then the Elder’s voice shouting over the crowd, though you can’t make out what he’s saying. The clamour quites down somewhat and you hear some discussion then the movement of feet.

A few minutes later a knock on the door heralds the Elder. You can see the desperate look in his eye, he steps in and then prostrates himself before you. “Master, God, the people have all agreed. If you return your blessing to us, we will be your humble slaves now and forever. We will worship and exalt you all the days of our lives, living only to carry out your will. All we ask is that you return the blessing and never remove it. Do this, and we are yours.” Stepping out, Adamas can see that the entire village is gathered outside his door, kneeling, looking up at him with desperation written across their features.

David Wells - A Slightly Repaired Dilapidated Warehouse/Temple

The next morning David manages to reestablish his illusory form without incident. Gavin leaves early in the morning as well, and spends most of the morning covertly meeting with people from all across town. Around mid-day he returns a few men in tow.

Gavin introduces them, “Lord, I have spoken to these men. They were always skeptical about the Creator and the Church and they were impressed by my conversion and your teachings. I have prepared them as best as I am able.”

The others look skeptical, one of them speaks. “This is the god you spoke of Father Francis? You said we knew he wasn’t just some faker the minute we saw him, you spent all that time warning us not to judge him on his appearance. As far as I can tell he’s just another man.

Gavin looks to you for a response.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A11eWGIasMY

Adamas hid a smile. "Then kneel, and receive my blessing!" Adamas then repeated his command like he did for Karl, ready to bathe in the brilliance of their adoration and worship.

Using Divine Quality: Command +2 for that final push.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 29, 2015

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

As with Karl, when the Command washes over them, there is no shiver, just a wave of sighs of surrender, and as with Karl you are left with the certainty that the Command will never fade.

It takes a moment for the villagers to readjust and for the joy to begin flowing into their brains once more, but once it did Adamas felt a wave of worship flow over him. The villagers remained prostrate before him, his in body, mind, and soul, ready and waiting for his commands. On either side of him knelt Karl and the Elder.

There was total silence, as all those present waited for their God’s command.

You now have a village worth of worshipers.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

The wave of worship hit him yet again. It was...sustaining, delicious, something that couldn't be described in mortal words. He knew he had done the right thing here. For them and himself. "Rise my people. Know that so long as you keep Adamas in your hearts this feeling will never fade, keep the faith and ensure that your descendants too keep faithful." Turning to the elder Adamas smiled. "Elder, you will lead the people as you always have, knowing you have my blessing. Everyone, doing what the elder needs for the community is keeping the faith with me. You will remain and continue life as you have but fulfilled and happy."

"Karl and I will be going on a journey, one day I will return for you all and on that day realize your potential. Earthly kings and rulers may come and go, but Adamas is eternal. Bring others into the faith but do not turn into a cult or force anyone to join, for this is not the way of Adamas. Protect yourselves by not calling too much attention to the faith, it will protect the faith too in this way." Adamas thought some more- Oh. Miller was in the cellar. Adamas told them that Miller rejected the faith but was brought into the fold. That Miller was to be taken care of and that he would work for them. It was the least he could do. After bidding good tidings to his new people, Adamas spoke to Karl.

"Karl, we need to prepare for our journey, there are other villages and people who need to be exposed to my light and enlightenment. Please prepare." Turning to the Elder Adamas clasped arms with the man. "If you maintain this village, these people, and the faith as I've instructed you will never feel the lack of joy again. You may find others who come, who may not feel joy but other things they derive from worship in me. This is fine as well, so long as they do me honor they are of me. Do you have any horses or a cart perhaps for my journey?"

Ok wrapping this up. Instructing the people to bring others and their descendants into the faith. But not crazy like and to keep a low profile, this is a religion and not a government so no crazy civil unrest. Yet.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Bonus Point(s): 0

Nothing. Unfortunate, but now he knew his capabilities a little better. A small step was still progress. At least his journey seemed to not be in vain. Ships, at last, and only a few days distant. Spurring himself onward, he cut through the water like a knife. Back to the shoreline, now in search of a village of any kind. Little doubt as to the reaction he would get but he vowed to check his temper. He would need assistance; people willing to speak on his behalf. Murdering a chunk of the population in a fit of pique would not remotely get him what he wanted.

Provided a village is nearby, Aldebaran will introduce himself from a distance as usual - and stoically withstand any barbed words. If nothing can be found in a reasonable amount of time, he'll take to the land anyway. If there are ships, there are roads and people traveling those roads.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Winston quickly got to work after nightfall. He had many interrogations to take care of. He would send subconscious messages to the sleepers and try to figure out what they were afraid of. Nothing too in-depth at the moment, but a more general sweep about the general attitudes of the town so that his messages might be better calibrated later on.

Using Organized [+6] to interrogate the sleeping villagers on their ~deepest fears~ and calibrating my propaganda to match (unless they are afraid of me, those fears should be dissuaded). Unless interrogation and calibration are considered separate actions, in which case only interrogate.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

The village was progressing nicely, after a few false starts. The huts weren't anything to write home about yet, local materials prevented that. The Count knew that if metal wasn't procured soon then his disciples would not pass much farther than this. So one day while he was walking the Count grabbed a squrrile from a tree, holding the squealing thing in his cold, metal hands. With a deep voice he begins to chant.
"Hear me, of beast of the forest. I take that from your blood and pass it aside. Name thee Wayland's friend and Hephaestus's pet. Your nose shall delve deep into the earth and find what Hades hath hidden there, all the riches and metals of the underworld. Let you be man's friend and guide him to these treauses with all speed. Finally, let you put even Cernunnos to shame with your fecundness."

Creating the Eisenratte, a transformed squirrel that sniffs out metal and leads men to it. Also incredibly fecund. Using Change +2 and Esoteric Knowledge +4 for this.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Theodore Beauregarde - The Camp

A... war camp. Things were starting to make a lot more sense than they had before. To defend against the humans, who were long since extinct, and the elves, who were entirely insignificant on the global scale. If Theodore had had any lingering doubts that he was on another world, they were now long dispelled. He was free to go, now. He could move deeper into the savannah, travel to a region less hardened by constant fighting, a place where he could slowly work on building his home once more. Certainly someone in this camp would be willing to show him the... no.

No.

That was the coward's route.

Theodore had never felt the need to serve in Albia's military. The steel walls of the unparalleled Albian Navy had protected his way of life, kept the world secure, but it had never needed him, and there had always been more productive ways for him to serve the Empire. But this was different. He was standing at a precipice, he knew. If he backed down from this, he would be forever apart from these people, and no matter what he did from this point, his cowardice here would always stick with him. He would always be the man who chose to run and hide, and however grandiose his towers might be, they would ultimately be hollow and empty.

"I am sure you have a great deal to show me" Theodore replies as he takes Haakon's hand in a firm handshake. "But I cannot be satisfied with just that alone, with simply fighting this war." In the scorched earth where the tower briefly stood, a blazing column once more rises up into the air, full of reds, golds, and brilliant yellows. For a moment, it seems intent on becoming another tower, but then it pauses and recedes, 'merely' three times the height of a man, and perhaps two meters wide. There is no substance to it as the tower had, but it cheerfully burns, consuming nothing and producing no smoke.

"My friend, let us win."

Going to use Fire [+2] to ignite an eternal flame, basically just a persistent (impressive) signal fire that you can toss, say, grass into to make it flare up a bunch/produce smoke to get a signal to nearby camps . I'll use a BP to boost the roll if there's any realistic shot of failure, I don't know difficulty that well but I want this to work.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Valhawk posted:

Ya, these guys are treating you like a rock-star, so no BP as Conscript didn’t really count,

That's cool. Just felt like I should give it a try--I feel churlish if I'm not making use of everything I've got.

Marko, to his surprise, finds the merchants easy to deal with, wheels greased by last night's performance. Soon he has a fine horse and a sound sword--not that he has that much idea how to use a sword, but just the having it makes him feel more at ease. "Thank you, gentlemen! May we meet again soon on the road!"

After spending the next fifteen minutes assuring the innkeeper that he was going to be back, and very soon, Marko heads out and saddles up. It's been a while since he rode a horse, but it's one of those things you never forget, and soon he's off! Riding along the road, humming snatches from patriotic marches, he feels more like a bogatyr than ever. It puts him into a good mood and mindset as he rides into the first village.

The plan is simple. Marko has a list of the villages around the area. He rides to as many as he can reach each day without overtaxing his horse, offering to sing a bit or tell a short tale. Once he's won the people over, he listens to their troubles and--if they're one of the villages that are going thin from the poor harvest--slips them a bit of money back out from his kitbag. All he asks is food, and at the end of the day, a place to stay.

It's not the most sophisticated redistribution of wealth, but for one man,
he thinks, not bad. And it would help him get a broader picture of the area. Marko was only vaguely familiar with medieval society, it being something to disregard as a relic of the past and him not quite old enough to have ever lived under a Tsar, but he was pretty sure that if these people were starving, someone was leaving them in the lurch. It was his opportunity to win them over by helping them--and his responsibility to help his fellow man, more importantly.

= = =

So that's the basics. I'm not sure if I want to use the divine music for this one. I will bust out A True Soviet! +4 to develop community and solidarity with these farmers, though.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

The villagers and the elder eagerly take in your teachings, and Karl leaves to take care of logistics of your journey, gathering food and every coin the villagers can spare.

As to the question of transportation, the Elder apologizes, “Forgive us, God. We have neither horses of carts. If you wish it, I will have a litter constructed and assign some of the men of the village to carry you?”

By evening, Aldebaran can see another small village. These villages were strung all along the coast he realized. He also felt a wonderful feeling from the far distance, in the direction of the previous village he had visited.

This village’s reaction was growing wearily familiar to Aldebaran now. Fear and desperate threats. It would appear the biggest downside of his fast speed of travel was that he far outpaced the ability for word of his nature to spread.

Now he was left standing before a ragtag militia of a few villagers with whatever weapons they had available, the villagers had fearfully demanded he leave, now the next move was his.

Winston’s interrogations are informative. It would appear the Snowender’s biggest fear is losing their independence and they way of life. Next comes fears of natural disaster and the possibility of the town being choked off by blizzards, something not unheard of in the north. There are a handful who fear the nomads and the potential for raids. There is an underlying fear of the Empire, but it is a distant thing. The Empire isn’t much of an immediate threat, even if they were to make a move on the North there is a great deal of territory between them and Snowend, which is about as far north as permanent settlements get. More than troops, the Snowenders fear imperial saboteurs and provocateurs. Other fears tend to be more mundane, sickness, loneliness, and the other normal fears that a person might be expected to feel.

Ya, adjusting the broadcasts is a separate action, in part because how you tweak them will change how I have the town react.

The Eisenratte quickly scurries away. You knew in the coming days it will seek out seems of various metal close to the surface. However, it will take months before the population rises enough to reliably chart the metal deposits on the island.

Theodore Beauregarde - The Camp

Haakon laughs heartily, “I think we’re going to get along just fine. However, you really might have to be a magi of miraculous power if we are to overthrow the Empire.” His expression turns serious. “We are fortunate that it has never been the full might of the Empire itself attempting to march the Plains. The Empire outnumbers the Orcs fifty to one, and we are only a part of our kind so if the emperor was able or interested in sending down all his legions he would drown us in numbers. No, we are fortunate in that the Empire for all its might is hardly unified. We mainly contend with the southernmost of his nobles, especially patsies for the Duke of Southport and his ally the Duke of Goldhill, who in their greed seek to take our lands to increase their own power and prestige at home. They constantly probe at our defenses, and we remind them the cost of trying to take the Plains from their rightful owners. We are the vanguard, most orcs are able to live more peaceful lives because we are strong.”

Theodore’s flame burns bright and strong in the background, a very impressive sight, standing ever-ready, matching his newfound dedication.

Have some more info. Also, Theodore’s newfound determination has awoken a Courageous[+2] streak inside of him.

Marko - A Village

After about two days travel, Marko walks up the path to a nearby village. The houses are generally made of wood, and look fairly basic. When Marko arrives the village is mostly empty, a tanner is working some hide, and an older woman is crushing various herbs. They generally seem uninterested in the visitor on horseback.

Hey, please remember your character line at the top. Also, generally speaking I’m only letting people advance a few days at a time, so no month long tours, unfortunately.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
BP:1

"No elder, that won't be necessary. This is but the first step in a new golden era. Thank you for all you've done." Adamas soon is prepared to leave when Karl has procured everything needed and available.

As he and Karl made their way back to the road and westward yet again Adamas had to wonder. Why he was singularly blessed by fate to become what he was. He'd need to come by more knowledge, but that could wait as he built up his followers.

Continuing on the journey westward with Karl. The next town or place.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 5, 2015

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

The Count makes an appearance the balcony of the Schwarzfort, flanked by two Fenrir guards. The general hustle and bustle of the growing village slows as they turn to look up at him. Once he has complete silence he speaks.
"Brothers and sisters of Knowledge, I now come before you. I shall be sequestering myself within the Schwarzfort for a time. Do not fear, my Fenrir and Friedensrichter shall look after you. I have created the Eisenratte for you. The small beast can sniff out deposts of iron and other metals. Follow its nose and dig where it leads you, that is the way to power. I shall be inside, creating a great work that shall benefit all of you. May Knowledge illuminate you."

The Count disappears deep into the great fort, sequestering himself deep within the central library. There he writes down all that he knows: his own personal memories, the history of his world, his knoweldge of the occult, of spells, herbs, beasts and any thing else he can remeber. He fills the room with carved tablet, on them lessons in speaking German, the correct way to care for a horse and how to lead a city.

Telling my people to dig where the Eisenratte tells them before holing up in the Schwarzfort. In there the Count is writing down literally everything he knows with Esoteric Knowledge +4. I'm also using a BP on this.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Bonus Point(s): 0

He knew he had grown some, but it was still a bit disconcerting to see the actual difference in size like this. Be that as it may, the makeshift weapons being brandished before him could still cripple or kill him if he pushed things. It would be very hard for them to miss something vital, after all.

"I ask only for a meal, and to speak to your headman. Grant me this and I swear on my name none here will go hungry again. The oceans are mine to control, and its bounty will jump into your boats willingly if I so command it."

As a demonstration, he uncrossed his arms and casually waved a hand over his shoulder. After a few moments, hundreds of crabs slowly marched up the sands to assemble around his feet. There they crouched, lazily clicking their pincers but otherwise docile.

"I won't claim they won't be feisty about going into a pot, but they will wait patiently here until I decide otherwise. If that is not enough for you, than I will ask only for what you know of the nearest proper city before I take my leave." His tentacles twitched a bit as he spoke, and he resisted the temptation to unnerve the men by using them to pick up and crush one of the crabs and devour it. He had developed a taste for raw flesh it seemed, but now was not a good time to act like a savage.

Aldebaran will use Oceans +2 to call a small army of crabs to him and have them wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Bo Zhang - Bandit camp
BP 2

Bo Zhang cursed. "drat their eyes, this Emperor here sure has things in hand. Where I'm from, the Emperor can barely get his lords to obey his laws, let alone get merchants to refuse gold. Alright then. You're a clever guy. I see why you're in charge of this band. No, we shouldn't go straight for pissing in the Emperor's wine stock then. But the way you're here. You're like wolves. You got your forest, and you prey on what passes through. And as long as you're not too much of a nuisance and there's other poo poo to do, they'll leave you alone. But I've been a farmer. And sooner or later, someone has the time and money to hire some hunters, and those wolves get hunted down. "

"No, the way of the locust tells you not to look for balance, or satisfaction with what you can get. It tells you to get more. A locust swarm descends on land, takes all their food, then moves elsewhere and turns that food in more locust swarms. Like them, we should hit some towns hard, take everything they got, burn what we cannot take with us, and blame some neighbor if it is at all convenient. Then you get out of there, get to another lord's land to sell what you cannot eat, and recruit more, so you can hit bigger targets. Then you go to yet another place and gorge ourselves there." Bo Zhang was getting into it, his own desire for plunder and wealth making his grin widen, reflexively spreading it around. "Not only do we make more, but if we do it properly, we leave chaos, war and poverty in our wake. Discontent will spread his eyes will have to be busy elsewhere. Neighbors and ambitious lords start their schemes, and soon, if we make a hit like that Mythical gold, the Emperor's main worry won't be to go after us. It's how the hells he's going to pay his men now. Trust me, I've seen it happen."

"Tell me, clever wolf. What's your name. And tell me, what's the richest village nearby you think we'd be able to sack and have it not go straight to the Emperor, and where is the land that hates this local lord, so we can flee over that border with our loot.."

Foregoing plan Dwarven gold for now, but convincing these guys to go for bigger ambitions than just 'yeah, we hang around here to be some PC's random encounter' and actually start messing with things. Leader +2; Bandit +4 and Desire +2 all seem relevant.

• Locked thread