Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

yeah i like videogames too

I'm saying the art for that game isn't as bad as everyone says, especially in the actual game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

Black Baby Goku posted:

I'm saying the art for that game isn't as bad as everyone says, especially in the actual game

Yeah it's mostly the cover art that is really bad, the character portraits look a smidge better in game.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i think its less that its bad and more that its really boring compared to the rest of the series' artstyle. i need to play the ds castlevanias still, i played through all of the gba ones over the summer on the wii u virtual console, aria of sorrow was definitely my favorite

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the GBA vanias were really good. Im looking forward to eventually playing SOTN for the first time

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
circle of the moon is good, and one of my favorites

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

In Training posted:

the GBA vanias were really good. Im looking forward to eventually playing SOTN for the first time

Its awesome

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Bloodlines is the prequel to Portrait of Ruin and both are very good. Rondo of Blood is dope as hell too. gently caress it, just play them all.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i played rondo of blood for the first time a week ago, it's really great, especially in maria mode. the psp 3D remake is ugly and doesn't feel right, but in it you can unlock sotn and they added a way to play as maria to it too. it's tricky because she doesn't have much health but I had a lot of fun with it.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Treasure made super castlevsnia if you're into treasure games

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the bonus mode in Dawn of Sorrow where you play as Alucard and someone else and Soma is the final boss is sick

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the bonus mode in Dawn of Sorrow where you play as Alucard and someone else and Soma is the final boss is sick

Julius iirc. Julius Belmont ftw

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i had a lot of fun with harmony of despair because i got it with some of the cool character dlc. going around as Simon Belmont 8bit sprite kicked rear end!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I beat 4 and really liked it and I got to the final boss in Portrait of Ruin and got to maybe the third boss in Order of Eclessia. I never really figured out that game, spent like thirty minutes beating the crab boss whacking him from a ledge and doing single digit damage.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
My advice is to play Super Castlevania 4. Its one of my fave SNES games

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Order of Ecclesia never really clicked with me but I need to give it another try. The beginning had too many areas that were just running in a straight line with nothing to see or discover

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The first half of OoE is more about enemy placement and difficulty rather than exploration, then the second half has some good exploration. It's like a classic castlevania and an igavania in one package. Though the beginning is a little too easy on normal mode so it is possible to just run past all the enemies for a while.

Austrian mook posted:

I beat 4 and really liked it and I got to the final boss in Portrait of Ruin and got to maybe the third boss in Order of Eclessia. I never really figured out that game, spent like thirty minutes beating the crab boss whacking him from a ledge and doing single digit damage.

Use the hammer glyph and when he breaks the ceiling, climb up. repeat until you get to the top and crush him with the elevator.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

In Training posted:

The gba was a fuckin sick console, its best games were like snes gems with more polish.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Evil Eagle posted:

The first half of OoE is more about enemy placement and difficulty rather than exploration, then the second half has some good exploration. It's like a classic castlevania and an igavania in one package. Though the beginning is a little too easy on normal mode so it is possible to just run past all the enemies for a while.

Use the hammer glyph and when he breaks the ceiling, climb up. repeat until you get to the top and crush him with the elevator.

drat. Guess id better find that cart i haven't played in 4 years now... Ive got a score to settle

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal
Curse of Darkness on Xbox was amazing to me. It's definitely not the best or even a great game, but drat was it fun and it blew my mind when it came out. Still fun.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

The gba was a fuckin sick console, its best games were like snes gems with more polish.

Truth

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!

thuly posted:

Treasure made super castlevsnia if you're into treasure games

This explains why it's so good.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
All of them.

The GBA and DS ones are particularly good, imho.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

mysterious loyall X posted:

i like castlemania 1, 3, sotn, order of ecclasia the best. order of ecclasia is the best of the sotn style ones imho. alright. seeya.

those are the picks of the litter

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

beepstreet's SP00K¥ LIST:

Best:
Super Castlevania 4
Castlevania 3
Symphony of the Night
Order of Ecclesia
Aria of Sorrow
Rondo of Blood

The best of the series, both classic stage based and metroidvanias. All feature stellar art and music.

Great:
Bloodlines
Castlevania 1
Circle of the Moon

Good:
Harmony of Despair
Simon's Quest (Retranslated / Patched)
Legacy of Darkness

Okay:
Simon's Quest (original)
Dracula X
Castlevania 64

Haven't played:
Portrait of Ruin
Dawn of Sorrow
Harmony of Dissonance
Harmony of Despair
Any others I didn't mention

Serve 2 of the above next weekend with a few bottles of cheap red wine, Nosferatu (the 70s one) and enjoy.

As much as I'm looking forward to Bloodstained, I'm definitely going to miss the classic Castlevania elements and feels. The AVGN Castlevania videos (the two part retrospective) are a must watch and do a great honor to these legendary games. Godspeed gamers.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

I enjoyed Circle of the Moon. It ages well because Konami forgot to take in account the lack of GBA's back light so the game is dark as gently caress. The card system was pretty cool.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

beepstreet posted:

beepstreet's SP00KĄ LIST:

Best:
Super Castlevania 4
Castlevania 3
Symphony of the Night
Order of Ecclesia
Aria of Sorrow
Rondo of Blood

The best of the series, both classic stage based and metroidvanias. All feature stellar art and music.

Great:
Bloodlines
Castlevania 1
Circle of the Moon

Good:
Harmony of Despair
Simon's Quest (Retranslated / Patched)
Legacy of Darkness

Okay:
Simon's Quest (original)
Dracula X
Castlevania 64

Haven't played:
Portrait of Ruin
Dawn of Sorrow
Harmony of Dissonance
Harmony of Despair
Any others I didn't mention

Serve 2 of the above next weekend with a few bottles of cheap red wine, Nosferatu (the 70s one) and enjoy.

As much as I'm looking forward to Bloodstained, I'm definitely going to miss the classic Castlevania elements and feels. The AVGN Castlevania videos (the two part retrospective) are a must watch and do a great honor to these legendary games. Godspeed gamers.

I don't trust anybody's big castlevania list f you haven't even played SOTN.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

I don't trust anybody's big castlevania list f you haven't even played SOTN.

its at the top

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

its at the top

:doh:

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

I 100%ed Portrait of Ruin to the point where I collected 9 of every soul to max them all out

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

The leap in difficulty from the normal castle to inverted is pretty nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

all the DS ones especially Order of Ecclesia

• Locked thread