Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Some pretty cool news coming to us, hat tip reddit for this story:

you may possibly be able to emulate ps2 games on ps4, though it's not confirmed yet.

This sounds awesomepic which is a word i made up to describe poo poo thats awesome and epic at the same time. Man, I can't WAIT to play some of those ps2 games for a third go-around! Anyone else pumped for this? what games are you looking forward to playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SMTIII: Nocturne Featuring Dante of the Devil May Cry Series on a nicer tv than the one my PS2 is plugged into.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Awesome OP. I don't own a PS4 myself but I consider PS4 gamers to be the least lulsy of the non-Wii\PC U gamers.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

they already have some crappy rear end ps2 star wars games running on it

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-ps2-emulation-on-ps4-performance-analysis

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
"If we are to go forward, we must go back" - The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i want to play dark cloud on my ps4

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want Rogue Galaxy running on that nice PS4 emulator, Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter as well.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Sutt Steve and Moby enter a Portal hole (gamer version of teleporter)

Black Baby Goku posted:

I want Rogue Galaxy running on that nice PS4 emulator, Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter as well.

This

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

A lot of poo poo about this doesn't make sense, how are they running this stuff at 60? For console games, you gotta emulate the bad framerate too or the game breaks. Maybe they chose some rare simple games that act ok when unlocking the FPS and that's why their showcase is dumb Starwars games nobody cares about.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gimbal lock posted:

A lot of poo poo about this doesn't make sense, how are they running this stuff at 60? For console games, you gotta emulate the bad framerate too or the game breaks. Maybe they chose some rare simple games that act ok when unlocking the FPS and that's why their showcase is dumb Starwars games nobody cares about.

they did a video yesterday about the 3 games. none of them have a 30 fps cap but a few have something that reverts to 30 if the 60 cap can't be met. they were saying in the vid that there are ways to remove the caps in games and they hope they get some examples of them soon.

wichard fwom digital foundwy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_sOOVV7e8s

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Wormskull posted:

Awesome OP. I don't own a PS4 myself but I consider PS4 gamers to be the least lulsy of the non-Wii\PC U gamers.

same here.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

this guy is like the ur-belgian.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I only have 1 ps2 game downloaded on ps3 and i would like to be able to play it on ps4 so i can stop having to plug in the ps3 every time i want to play lucifers call

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

awesome, now i can play all the games theres hdmakes of for PS3 and not PS4, with a worse resolution

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

awesome, now i can play all the games theres hdmakes of for PS3 and not PS4, with a worse resolution

you mean the HD remakes that make up roughly 0.01% of the PS2 library, one of which being the Silent Hill HD catastrophe? Get real bitch

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

The cowardly craftiness of the Frenchman and the brutal ruthlessness of the German on one bearded package.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I remember when you could just assume that your old games were gonna work with your new system because why the gently caress wouldn't they.

Oh the heady days of the play station two.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They do on Nintendo consoles.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

They do on Nintendo consoles.

Do GameCube game discs work in the wii u

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i think i heard you can break the wii mode of the wii u to run gc games but i dont know if its true.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Real hurthling! posted:

i think i heard you can break the wii mode of the wii u to run gc games but i dont know if its true.

ive done it but you still gotta run them off of a hard drive, dont stick your gamecube discs in a wii u, it will eat them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Benny D posted:

Do GameCube game discs work in the wii u

No, sadly. But you can burn your GC game to a SD card and load them from there oddly.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i think its because the wii is still pretty much a gamecube structurally and the wiiu has a wii built into it, and for some reason someone decided the wii mode shouldn't play GC discs even though it's perfectly capable of doing that

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Bobnumerotres posted:

i think its because the wii is still pretty much a gamecube structurally and the wiiu has a wii built into it, and for some reason someone decided the wii mode shouldn't play GC discs even though it's perfectly capable of doing that

they probably didnt want to install a disc drive that takes those tiny discs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The 2035 version of the retron that has like 8 disc slots will be cool.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

oh yeah, this is true

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

lol

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Gimbal lock posted:

not every game ties everything to the framerate (even though it's pretty common in that era), some emulators for modern systems like dolphin and ppsspp let you "overclock" the emulated system and use cheatcodes to change/remove framerate caps to get a smoother, higher framerate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F5Ad-iUv7w

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Friction is weaker and gravity is stronger in Fallout 4 with higher frame rates.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bethesda knows their mod community likes a challenge

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

elf help book posted:

I always knew those discs were retarded I hope Nintendo realized as much as well.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the small disc was a reaction to their competators' disc console issues. piracy from non proprietary disc formats on dreamcast and load times and disc drive failure on psx. the small disc was harder to copy, faster to read, and put less strain on a drive while rotating, which also allowed the console itself to be smaller. It was a decision that was great for nintendo until they realized that sales that gen were going to go to consoles with media features they couldn't match.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
the prospect of up-rezzed fatal frame psn classics downloads on my ps4? mouth watering. if they turn it on for disc games? well that's just full on vince macmahon gif

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The Milkman posted:

the prospect of up-rezzed fatal frame psn classics downloads on my ps4? mouth watering. if they turn it on for disc games? well that's just full on vince macmahon gif

this

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It would be cool if PS1 games came too.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

:agreed:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

In Training posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

yeah i have most of the ones i want on vita already but i really want to play some of them with sharper graphics and enough storage space to keep them around if my playthrough stalls.

• Locked thread