Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

The trapper's crusader armor makes a huge difference I think (the one that ignores one in four shots). I've done that run a bit too often with the shotgun and got partly good, partly real lucky. The dynamite air burst at the end was intended, but not the Last Breath combo. I've switched to gunslinger now and that's a lot of fun too, but I don't think I can top my shotgun score when I no longer have Full Blast. Headshots and Eyeblink bonuses don't stack that high.

Plummer is awesome, he killed me a few times when I was playing to locate Nuggets. If you stick your head out for too long while he's shooting, you're dead real quick. He killed me really often when I first played the game cause back then I thought I could deal with problems more slowly, which meant everything was exploding and all his goons were shooting at me. I remember I also had a really hard time with Curly Bill Brocius (sawmill fight) cause I ignored too many of his goons as well.

Edit: Hell the top post on the Steam discussion pages is still/again someone who has trouble getting past Plummer. He's really a bit of a mechanics hurdle in that you either know how to explode dynamite and get rid of goons quickly, or you don't and die. Curly Bill was all about teaching you that there's cover. First time around, before that fight I more or less ignored cover, and before I figured out that all that wood was there for a reason, honestly got kinda upset that he was capable of killing me in seconds.

I wish more bossfights were something like this rather than duels; it's fun that there are duels, but they're overused. The duels also irk me a bit for other reasons, it's the one mechanic that doesn't have the same degree of sleekness and polish as the rest of the shooting. If you try to counter the somewhat random cursor-drift with a proportional response, it's rather difficult, you'll probably do ok, but might be that you run out of mouse-mat or table to properly do what you want. And once you switch to shooting, you're most likely still moving your cursor in the same direction and away we go, shooting air or dirt. But, and this is really dumb, if you get your cursor on the guy, then draw small circles with your mouse, the cursor will stay there and you'll get an easy 80-100%. That makes no sense.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Fleve posted:

There's a total of three revolvers in the game, they're all single action. From what I gather from the internet, double-action revolvers were already around in mid-19th century but more common to Europe, and they only gained ground in the US at the end of the 19th century with the Colt M1889. Silas' tale begins around 1880 so double-action would've been somewhat unusual it seems.

And, well, in terms of realism, I'd assume we'd also have to eject the casings which seem to go up in thin air instead. The devs argued that, while the guns are based on real life weapons, their handling and mechanics are closer to Silas' embellished version of the Wild West. For more on the weapons in the game, the internet already had me covered there with the Internet Movie Firearm Database. I didn't know this was a thing.

the third revolver is double action i think?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I don't know why you went with the Engraved Ranger. It's a nice gun, I'll give you that, but the engraving gives you no tactical advantage whatsoever. Unless you were planning to auction it off as a collectors item.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

I don't know why you went with the Engraved Ranger. It's a nice gun, I'll give you that, but the engraving gives you no tactical advantage whatsoever. Unless you were planning to auction it off as a collectors item.
I get the reference but honestly could never figure out what the upgraded weapons actually did apart from magically changing every single gun of its type in America into a more fabulous model.

Regarding the boss fights: are you going to show the Duel mode? It's hard as hell and a massive pain in the rear end to get through, but it's got duels for the people you'd fight by other means in the story (or not at all, in the case of Billy the Kid).

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 27, 2015

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer
The engraved ranger has more range and less recoil, iirc.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

I get the reference but honestly could never figure out what the upgraded weapons actually did apart from magically changing every single gun of its type in America into a more fabulous model.

All of the Engraved, Inlaid, or otherwise gilded weapons have better statistics than the basic ones, with the reasoning behind it being that a weapon that was made by a gunsmith for extremely tight tolerances for proper 'Fit and Finish' would be a lot better in action than a (comparatively) mass-produced model.

As for why you only find the shiny iterations after you unlock the attendant upgrade, that's likely a concession to gameplay.

Personally, I feel that the engraved weapons fit with the concession of the stories being very much 'Dime novels in action and deed'; The villains are villainous, the heros are heroic, and thus, the heros get the blinged-out weapons that can do crap like shoot farther or more accurately.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

the third revolver is double action i think?

Yeah I forgot how the gun works, we'll see it next episode. I went by the info that said it was, historically, single action, but it's definitely double action in-game.

And on the Engraved Ranger; the ranger itself is just a really beefy handgun, more damage, more recoil. And in arcade mode, that's what the trapper (guy with the shotgun) is loaded with. According to the skill description, the effect of the Engraved Ranger is +25% range and -30% recoil, which is pretty nice considering it's got high recoil to start with and probably kills most enemies with a body-shot.

anilEhilated posted:

Regarding the boss fights: are you going to show the Duel mode? It's hard as hell and a massive pain in the rear end to get through, but it's got duels for the people you'd fight by other means in the story (or not at all, in the case of Billy the Kid).

I'll give it a try. I sucked tremendously at the duels when I first played the game, so no guarantees. I don't want to spoil future bosses through the duel mode, but that would mean that I'd actually be able to advance far enough and murder something like 5 bosses in a row, which remains to be seen.

Edit: Alright, gave it a try, and I'm not as rubbish anymore as I remembered. First try got me as far as the first double duel, but died there, with 111.000 points. I think I can take that a few steps further at least.
Edit 2: I can do 14/15 with a few headshots thrown in for fun, but that last duel...goddamn.
Edit 3: And after a night of sleep, I can do the whole thing, but not without getting killed every once in a while. I often miss the first headshot.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 28, 2015

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Some of the nuggets below are about people who are too (in)famous to properly cover in a few cards of text and further reading is definitely worth it. The Wikipedia article for John Wesley Hardin for example can barely move a sentence without Hardin killing multiple people.

Concept Art

Nuggets of Truth

Hardin, born on May 26, 1853, was one of the West's most notorious killers. Next to Wild Bill Hickok, many considered him to be the fastest and most accurate gunslinger who ever lived, or at least the deadliest, as he is believed to have killed 41 men in various duels, shootouts, and other sundry incidents. One story has him shooting a man for snoring too loudly, but many believe that is simply a fanciful legend.

Some considered him a cold-blooded killer, while others thought of him as a folk hero. He had a price on his head from the age of fifteen, but Hardin allegedly only killed in self-defense or to defend his freedom. Finally arrested by the Texas Rangers, Hardin spent many years in prison, where he frequented the prison library and taught himself the law. He was sentenced to 25 years, but released after only 17 and promptly passed the bar exam. He tried to make a living as a lawyer, but proved to be a much better gambler. Hardin could usually be found sitting in a saloon, playing dice or cards.

It is an irony that one of the most deadly gunfighters who ever lived met his end the same way his idol, Wild Bill Hickok, did. Both were shot in the back of the head while gambling. Hickok was murdered by Jack McCall and Hardin by John Selman on August 19, 1895

James Butler Hickok, also known as Wild Bill, is considered by some to be the most famous western gunslinger of all time. He is remembered as a tall, slender man with long flowing hair and an omnipresent pair of holstered Colt 1851 Navy cap and ball revolvers.

Born in Troy Grove, Illinois, in 1837, he worked as a stagecoach driver, fought for the Union army during the war and later became a scout, a lawman, an unlucky professional gambler, and a not very good actor, who trod the boards with Buffalo Bill until he realized that the theatre wasn't his true calling.

What he did best was put outlaws, killers, ornery assholes, and drunk cowboys in their graves by filling them full of lead. The high noon showdown in the middle of the street, a staple of Hollywood
Westerns, was not a very common occurrence. As a matter of fact, they hardly ever happened...unless Wild Bill happened to be in town. If anyone was willing to stand in the street at high noon and face someone down that would be William Butler Hickok.

In 1876, Hickok was diagnosed by a doctor in Kansas City with trachoma, an inflammation of the eye. He was losing his ability to see and so his marksmanship and health were on the wane. As his finances were in trouble, he set out for Deadwood, South Dakota where a recent gold strike had created a boomtown full of drunken miners; a perfect place for a professional gambler to ply his trade. On August 2nd of that year, while playing poker in the "Nutall & Mann's No. 10" saloon, Bill broke a rule he'd been following for years, perhaps for the first time ever. He sat with his back to the door. A former buffalo hunter named Jack McCall entered the saloon at that very moment and drew his revolver shouting, "drat you! Take that!" and shot Bill on the spot. The bullet went right through the gunslinger's head and hit another player at the table in the wrist. Legend has it that at the moment of his death Wild Bill was holding a pair of aces and a pair of eights, all of them black. Since then that hand is commonly referred to as the dead man's hand.

When Phil Coe opened the Bull's Head in Abilene, Kansas, he enraged the local townsfolk by painting a picture of a bull on the side of his saloon. This particular bull had a large erect penis. The law in Abilene at the time was none other than 'Wild' Bill Hickok. He threatened to torch the building if the obscene painting was not removed promptly. Before Coe could make up his mind, Hickok paid a few men to paint over the bull and its offending private part. This infuriated Coe and he confronted Wild Bill. Coe clearly disliked Hickok and this animosity grew until one day Coe fired two shots at the marshal and missed. Hickok returned fire, cutting Coe down. He also accidentally killed his own deputy, Mike Williams, who was coming to his aid. Williams' death haunted Hickok until the very end of his life.

Before barbed wire was used to divide the free ranges of the Wild West, cattle rustling had thrived. Many famous outlaws of the time like Billy the Kid, the Clantons, Curly Bill, and Johnny Ringo all tried their hand at stealing cattle. It was obviously considered a serious offense and punished accordingly. More often than not, a cattle thief never had a chance to appear in court because a vigilante group would usually lynch the criminal on the spot. Those unlucky desperados hung as grim decorations, dangling solemnly from the branches of roadside trees. It's not surprising considering the fact that cattle were the primary commodity of the West. It was often easier to get away with murder than with stealing a cow.

The Old West was populated with all sorts of adventurers, fortune seekers, thieves, gamblers, and gold diggers. Where there was gold or - in the absence of the noblest element – at least a dollar or two, there were opportunities to spend it. Neither corn whiskey nor saloon girls were free. Saloon owners, however, did offer a third form of entertainment. One that, in theory at least, offered the customer a chance to actually make money, gambling.

Poker, dice, and faro, beloved by all, reigned supreme. Where gambling appeared, accusations of cheating usually followed. Let's face it; it was probably a common occurrence. The trick was to do it without getting caught. Plan B was to be so intimidating, no one would dare call you on your seemingly miraculous hand. Naturally, confidence alone wasn't enough. Lightning reflexes and the ability to shoot straight was necessary as well. That's why many famous gamblers were also skilled gunslingers. Celebrities of the West like Doc Holliday, Wes Hardin, and Wild Bill Hickok all fit that description to a T.

Next to the cowboy hat, the object most often associated with the Wild West is the percussion cap revolver, invented by Samuel Colt in 1836. This revolver, along with the Winchester repeating rifle, was the preferred method for dealing death in the latter part of the nineteenth century.

The first revolvers were front loading models. Black gunpowder was inserted into the chambers of the cylinder and then covered with a lead bullet. Rammers were used to keep everything in place. All that was left was to place percussion caps on the opposite end of the cylinder. Because of that, the early revolvers were known as caplocks, with the cap and the ball inserted separately. The Colt Patterson and its later incarnations were examples of that design philosophy. This includes the Walker, the Dragoon, the 1851 Navy (Wild Bill Hickok used a pair), the Model 1860 Army and others. The Remington Model 1858 was a unique design because it allowed for the replacement of empty cylinders for loaded ones in the midst of a fight.

Later models used integrated cartridges as ammunition, eliminating the need to load each component separately. The Smith & Wesson Model 3 was such a design (one of its variants is known as the Schofield Revolver) and so were Colt's more advanced products. Revolvers also evolved from single-action (where the cylinder had to be rotated by manually cocking the gun) into so-called double-action, where the trigger mechanism would also cock the gun and turn the cylinder with a single motion. One thing remained unchanged throughout the history of the Wild West, in the hands of a skilled gunman, revolvers were deadly weapons.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Wow, I didn't even see Hardin pull out those guns the first time.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

So, a ball-and-cap revolver is a gun whereby powder, blasting cap and bullet are all loaded separately, I assume?

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Yeah loading those things seems like a lot of work. The Ranger is the equivalent of the Colt 1851 Navy and there's an image of that gun that helps explain the whole process. Black powder is poured into each of the chambers, followed by an oversized ball which is then pushed into the chamber by pulling the loading lever down, the rod that's under the barrel. To prevent firing one bullet from accidentally setting off the powder in the other chambers, the chambers can also be sealed with wax or lube. Finally, because you need something to ignite all that gunpowder, a percussion cap goes on the 'nipple', protrusions on the front of the cylinder with a little hole. The caps are tiny charges of shock sensitive explosive material, so when they're struck they'll go off and ignite the powder in the chamber.

Because all of that looks like it'd take a godawful amount of time, some guns allow to remove the whole cylinder so you can replace it with a cylinder you loaded earlier, such as with the Remington 1858. Another alternative was to just bring multiple fully loaded guns.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The voice acting in this game is top-notch, but it kind of shows that it was done on a budget - I'm fairly sure the guy who is constantly yelling at you from the inside of the saloon as you're climbing around for nuggets is Dwight.
That last bandit outside is a right bastard; I remember having the exact same problem locating him. It seems he hides during the initial shootout and then tries to get at you from behind, except he's apparently content staying behind his little box.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The real JWH certainly looks more plain than his in-game counterpart. And yeah that is Lincoln at night, and gently caress that platforming bit.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably easier to miss the last guy when you take the detour by the tower and then up into the saloon. But the front door is certain death, guys'll shoot you from upstairs and all around the insides, while most of the cover is flanked from the get-go. I don't know why but in any platforming scenario I always imagine and then summon the worst scenario possible. I'm glad Darksiders didn't have serious consequences to platforming-failure because dear god was I down a pit often.

The next video is encoded but apparently a lot is going on graphically and it's roughly 3 GB or double the size of the previous one. Uploading and youtube processing will take a while so I'll probably get around to it tomorrow.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

We got bored shooting bandits and lawmen so we’re switching to injuns. Last part felt like it didn’t have a whole lot going on, apart from Hardin, but this one’s pretty packed.

Concept Art

Nuggets of Truth

Native Americans are the indigenous people of North America. They are composed of numerous, distinct Native American tribes, some of which survive to this day as cultural and political entities. According to the accepted theory, migrations of humans from Eurasia to the Americas took place approximately 12,000 years ago via the Bering Land Bridge. Many of these tribes were decimated during the 18th and 19th century as they were pushed out of their homelands by waves of settlers of European origin. As Native Americans were divided into many tribes, some of which were long-standing enemies, they were unable to unite against a common enemy, invaders armed with advanced technology.

L. Frank Baum, the author of the Wizard of Oz, was among the champions of the complete eradication of the remaining Native Americans. He wrote: “(...) The Whites, by law of conquest, by justice of civilization, are masters of the American continent, and the best safety of the frontier settlements will be secured by the total annihilation of the few remaining Indians (...)".

Mere days after the Wounded Knee Massacre, called a ‘battle’ at the time despite being nothing more than a bloodbath inflicted by American soldiers on unarmed men, women and children, L. Frank Baum spoke once again, criticizing the government for not taking even more drastic measures, demanding to “(...) wipe these untamed and untamable creatures from the face of the earth."

Just like the ancient Celts conquered by Romans, Native Americans left an invaluable and rich legacy evident in the language, philosophy, and popular culture of modern day America.

Spotted Elk, also known as Big Foot (Sithanka), was a Miniconjou Lakota Sioux chief who bravely fought the White aggressors. He died, like many of his brothers, on December 29, 1890 in the so-called "battle" known today as the Wounded Knee Massacre.

Cochise of the Chiricahua Apaches, known among his people as A-da-tli-chi, was a war chief who led a long campaign against the United States Army. He evaded capture many times and continued raids against white settlements until 1872. A treaty was negotiated by General Oliver O. Howard and Cochise ended up on a reservation run by his only white friend, Tom Jeffords. He died in 1874 of natural causes and his descendants are said to currently reside at the Mescalero Apache Reservation in New Mexico.

Goyathlay was Cochise's successor in a way. Known better as Geronimo, he won numerous victories over long years of fighting. Mexican soldiers killed his mother, wife, and three children in 1858. He vowed revenge and as a war chief he constantly raided Mexican provinces and their towns and later American settlements across Arizona, New Mexico, and Western Texas. He surrendered to U.S. authorities in 1886 and became somewhat of a celebrity, even appearing in Wild West shows. But he was never able to return to the land of his birth. He died of pneumonia in 1909 and confessed to his nephew that he regretted his decision to surrender, saying, "I should have fought until I was the last man alive."

Sitting Bull, or Tatanka lyotake, the victor of Little Bighorn and later a performer in Buffalo Bill's Wild West show, was a Hunkpapa Lakota Sioux holy man who led his people against the encroachment of the white man. He was killed by two Indian policemen in the service of the United States government during an attempt to arrest him and prevent him from supporting the Ghost Dance movement.

Those and many other Native Americans were forced to live in an impossible world. Their lands and way of life were stolen and replaced with a world they didn't understand or want any part of. They were murdered both by bullets and blankets infected with small pox. They died from disease and starvation and exposure as they were shunted onto reservations. Today we recognize the destruction of the Native Americans and their culture as the genocide that it was. Fortunately, history has not forgotten them and now we can celebrate them as perhaps the only authentic heroes of the American West.

As it happens, history does not know any great Indian leaders bearing the name Grey Wolf. There was one chief with that name, but he was also an officer in the United States Army.

George Crook made his name serving during the Civil War and the Indian Wars. He fought against the Paiute, the Sioux and the Apaches led by Geronimo. The latter, as a token of respect for
Crook, nicknamed him Nantan Lupan, which means Grey Wolf.

Crook was outraged at the imprisonment of the Chiricahua Apaches who served the American Army faithfully only to be incarcerated alongside Geronimo's rebels. Crook made numerous appeals to Washington but, as was to be expected from the US Government at the time, they had no effect.

The oldest of the McCall brothers, he and his brothers were sons of a Georgia landowner who fought for the Confederacy in the Civil War. His father died at Antietam and he and his brothers continued the fight. During the battle for Atlanta, he was demoted for insubordination. After the war, he made himself a name as a gunfighter, famous for his ferocity and the antique Conquistador's cuirass he wore as a breastplate. He killed many men to make that reputation and is most well-known for his feud with the infamous Juan "Juarez" Mendoza. Mendoza had an alcazar outside of Juarez, Mexico and ran an army of bandits that terrorized the border for years.

After years of working as a hired gun, drifting from town to town, Ray McCall found his calling and became a pastor, leaving his violent life behind. However, his destiny was not to be one of peace, as he picked up his pistols again late in life to hunt down his nephew, suspected of killing his brother and wife. He died in 1884, killed by the same "Juarez" Mendoza with whom he crossed paths with years before. His only consolation was the knowledge Mendoza would surely follow him to the gates of Hell.

Surprisingly, the history books are silent on the subject of this extraordinary man, the gunslinging preacher, Ray McCall.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 30, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Fleve posted:

We got bored shooting bandits and lawmen so we’re switching to injuns. Last part felt like it didn’t have a whole lot going on, apart from Hardin, but this one’s pretty packed.

Video is still on the link for episode 5.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

dscruffy1 posted:

Video is still on the link for episode 5.

Woops, edited that, thanks.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You can actually sneak up on the first couple of Apaches if you cross the river using one of the fallen trees instead of the bridge. Silas will obligingly change his line to "I saw them before they saw me".

I love the little bit where Grey Wolf talks at you. You're in endless concentration so you can really rack up the experience - and focusing that, you miss what he's telling you, which is actually pretty solid foreshadowing.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 30, 2015

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I didn't know you could sneak up on them, that's really neat. I just gave that a try in the 'recollections' replay mode and arrived at the other side of the river in between the two buildings with 3-4 Apaches chilling down the road, just waiting to be shot. I wish there was a list of these little variances because they're really easy to miss.

Also, checking the recollections reminded me that I've been inadvertently withholding some details by cutting out the loading screens. Every episode has a title referring to the main opponents, but there are also subtitles which, naturally, are movie references.

Episode 1: Billy the Kid.
Once Upon a Time in Stinking Springs
A Fistful of Hot Lead

Episode 2: The Cowboys.
A Bullet for the Old Man
Gunfight at the Sawmill

Episode 3: The Innocents. The Magnificent One
Episode 4: John Wesley Hardin. Be Quick or be Dead
Episode 5: Grey Wolf. Dances with Renegades

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There are also neat little tips on the loading screens: one of my favorites goes something like "Mashing E to make the game load faster was considered dishonorable in the Old West".
These also change into something a bit more plot-relevant on New Game+.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

One small detail in the game is that, every time you do get shot, the bullet hole on the screen looks very much like what happens when you shoot a paper target.

It's quite effectively poking holes in Silas' Story.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The nuggets here are pretty respectful of the Native Americans - God know's they've been treated shittily enough in not only Western media but more importantly in reality. I tried to read a few histories on some of the indigenous peoples of the Americas; but it's usually too soul-crushing for me to finish them.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Fleve posted:

The oldest of the McCall brothers, he and his brothers were sons of a Georgia landowner who fought for the Confederacy in the Civil War. His father died at Antietam and he and his brothers continued the fight. During the battle for Atlanta, he was demoted for insubordination. After the war, he made himself a name as a gunfighter, famous for his ferocity and the antique Conquistador's cuirass he wore as a breastplate. He killed many men to make that reputation and is most well-known for his feud with the infamous Juan "Juarez" Mendoza. Mendoza had an alcazar outside of Juarez, Mexico and ran an army of bandits that terrorized the border for years.

After years of working as a hired gun, drifting from town to town, Ray McCall found his calling and became a pastor, leaving his violent life behind. However, his destiny was not to be one of peace, as he picked up his pistols again late in life to hunt down his nephew, suspected of killing his brother and wife. He died in 1884, killed by the same "Juarez" Mendoza with whom he crossed paths with years before. His only consolation was the knowledge Mendoza would surely follow him to the gates of Hell.

Surprisingly, the history books are silent on the subject of this extraordinary man, the gunslinging preacher, Ray McCall.

I... don't know if you know this or are trying to play Coy, but Ray McCall is the protagonist of the first 2 Call Of Juarez games.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

He's not trying to be coy- the "Nugget of Truth" here is straight from the game. It's just a fun little callback that the devs decided to throw in.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Unlike the previous stories, this time the saloon audience also chimes in and offer us their versions of what happened.

I’ve added an additional ‘nugget’, a newspaper article from “The Helena Independent” that relates the events in Coffeyville, 5 October 1892. It’s a bit long but worth it if you have some time. I’ve found a few other articles, such as from the “Daily Indian Chieftain”, but this one was more fun to read; it feels a bit like the Helena Independent was that time’s Daily Mail just making half the news up.

Concept Art

Nuggets of Truth

Related to the famous Youngers, the Dalton brothers, Gratton, Bob and Emmett, gave up their jobs as lawmen in the 1890s to form the so-called Dalton Gang. The sole purpose of their enterprise was to rob trains and banks and make a hell of a lot more money than they ever did as peace officers. They also coveted a bit of the notoriety their more famous cousins enjoyed as members of the James Gang. One such robbery ended with the arrest of Grat who then managed to astonish the marshals who had him in custody by escaping from a moving train. Grat stole a key to his chains from a napping guard then jumped through the window right into a river while the train was passing over a bridge.

The Daltons weren't always so lucky. One of them, Bob, desperate to make a reputation as an outlaw that would surpass that of Jesse James, suggested an incredibly daring plan. He wanted to rob two banks at the same time, in broad daylight. On October 5, 1892, the brothers rode into Coffeyville, their hometown. They hid behind fake beards and attempted to do what no outlaw had done before. Their bold plan ended in complete disaster for the brothers and their comrades in arms. Bob died that day and his brother Emmett, shot twenty-three times, miraculously lived, went to prison, and was later pardoned. He died in Hollywood in 1937, after trying his hand at being an actor, an author, and a real estate agent.

On October 5, 1892, the Dalton Gang appeared in their hometown of Coffeyville, Kansas. Their plan was to rob two banks at the same time. Their targets were C.M. Condon & Company's Bank and First National Bank, located across the street from one another. Brothers Bob, Grat, and Emmett, and their compadres, Dick Broadwell and Bill Power, split into two groups. Wearing false beards, they showed up at both banks when they opened, planning to pull off a quick double heist. One of the groups robbed their bank without incident, but the other was outfoxed by a brave bank employee who convinced the bandits that the safe was protected with a time lock, which wouldn't open for another ten minutes.

They waited for it to open and in that time the entire town rallied against them. The citizens of Coffeyville recognized the brothers in spite of their less than clever disguises and had no intention of letting them escape with the money.

A bloody gunfight broke out in the streets of Coffeyville and the entire gang was killed, except for the youngest Dalton, Emmett, who was shot twenty-three times. He was sentenced to life in prison, but was released after 14 years. He would often say it was a U.S. Marshall, Heck Thomas, who pushed the Daltons into attempting that crazy plan by tracking them so relentlessly. The Coffeyville robbery was supposed to be the gang's ticket out of a life of crime, instead it was a ticket to the cemetery for most of them.

The term originated with the first book in the Beadle and Adams Dime Novel series, "Malaeska, the Indian Wise of the White Hunter", by Ann S. Stephens, dated June 9, 1860. The series ran for 321 issues and established all the conventions of the genre. From the lurid woodblock print covers to the melodramatic and sensational stories, they were popular among young, working-class audiences, mostly owing to the increased literacy rate of society in general at the time.

They told all sorts of outlandish tales, usually in a Western setting. Their style was simple and accessible, the characters were one-dimensional, but they were page turners and a forerunner of modern day mass-printed paperbacks and comic books. They turned many real characters of the day, outlaws and lawmen alike, into celebrities of sorts. They helped create the modern romanticized mythology of the Wild West that continues on in Hollywood westerns and TV shows to this very day.

Additional nugget. News article from the front page of ‘The Helena Independent’, October 06, 1892. The first sentences are all a bunch of headlines in a manner of summary.

WIPED OUT,
The Dalton Gang of Murderous Outlaws Die With Their Boots on.
Retributive Justice Overtakes Them Near the Scenes of Their Childhood.
Being Broke They Plan a Raid on the Banks of Coffeyville, Kansas.
The Alarm Given and the Robbers Surrounded by Armed Citizens.
In the Fight Ensuing Four of the Outlaws Fall Dead - As Many of the Posse Killed.

Coffeyville, Kan., Oct. 5. - The Dalton gang has been exterminated, wiped off the face of the earth. Caught like rats in a trap, they were to-day shot down, but not until four citizens of this place yielded up their lives in the work of extermination. Six of the gang rode into town this morning and robbed the two banks of the place. Their raid had become known to the officers of the law, and when the bandits attempted to escape they were attacked by the marshal's posse. In the battle which ensued four desperadoes were killed outright, and one so badly wounded that he has since died. The other escaped but is being hotly pursued. Of the attacking party four were killed, one fatally and two seriously wounded. The dead are: Bob Dalton, desperado; Grattan Dalton, desperado; Emmet Dalton, desperado; Joseph Evans, desperado; John Moore, "Texas Jack," desperado; T. C. Connelly, city marshal; L. M. Baldwin, bank clerk; G. W. Cubine, merchant; C. J. Brown, shoemaker. The wounded are: Thos. G. Ayres, cashier of the First National bank, shot through the groin and cannot live; T. A. Reynolds, wounded in the right breast; Lois Detz, shot in the right side.

It was rumored a month ago that the Dalton gang was contemplating a raid upon the banks of this city and arragements were made to give them a warm reception, but the excitement finally died away and the street patrol was given up. About 10 o'clock this morning the gang rode into town. They came in two squads of three each, and passing through unfrequented streets rendezvoused in an alley in the rear of the First National bank. Robert Dalton, the notorious leader, and Emmett, his brother, went to the First National bank. The other four, under the leadership of Texas Jack, or John Moore, went to the private bank of C. M. Congdon & Co. In the meantime the alarm had been given. The Dalton brothers were born and bred in this city and had been recognized. City Marshal Connelly was quickly notified and began collecting a posse. While the marshal was collecting his forces the bandits, all ignorant of the trap, were proceeding deliberately with the work of robbing the banks. Texas Jack's band entered Congdon's bank and with Winchesters levelled at Cashier Ball and Teller Carpenter demanded that the safe be opened. The cashier explained that the safe door was controlled by a time look and could not be opened for about twenty minutes, at 10 o'clock. "We'll wait," said the leader, and he sat down at the cashier's desk, first gathering up the money in the cash drawers.

Bob and Emmett Dalton, in the meanwhile, were having better luck at the First National bank. When they entered the bank, they found Cashier Ayres, his son Albert Ayres, and Teller W. H. Sheppard. None of them were armed and with levelled revolvers the brother bandits easily intimidated them. Albert Ayres and Teller Shepard were kept under the muzzles of Emmett Dalton's revolvers, while Bob Dalton forced Cashier Ayres to strip the safe vault and cash drawers of all the money and place it in a sack. Fearing to leave them behind, lest they should give the alarm too soon, the desperadoes marched the officers of the bank out of the door with the intention of keeping them under guard while they made their escape. The party made their appearance at the door just as Liveryman Spears and others of the marshal's posse took positions in the square. When the Dalton brothers saw armed men in the square they appreciated their peril on the instant and leaving the bank officers on the steps of the bank building ran for their horses. As soon as they reached the sidewalk Spears' rifle quickly came into position. An instant later it spoke and Bob Dalton, notorious leader of the notorious gang, fell dead. Emmett Dalton had the start of his brother, and before Spears could draw a bead on him had dodged behind the corner of the bank and was making time in the direction of the alley where the horses were tied.

The shot which dropped Bob Dalton aroused Texas Jack's band in Congdon's bank. Running to the window they saw their leader prostrate on the ground. Raising their rifles they fired one volley out of the windows. Cashier Ayres fell on the steps of the bank shot through the groin. Shoemaker Brown, of the attacking party in the square, was shot through the body and died in a few minutes. The firing attracted the attention of Marshal Connelly who was collecting more men for his posse, and with the few he had already gathered, he ran hurriedly to the scene of conflict.

After firing the volley from the window, the bandits, appreciating that their only safety lay in flight, attempted to escape. They ran from the door of the bank, firing as they fled. The marshal's posse in the square, without organization of any kind, fired at the fleeing bandits, each man for himself. Spears' trusty Winchester spoke twice more in quick succession before the others of the posse could take aim, and Joseph Evans and Texas Jack both fell dead, shot through the head, making three dead bandits to his credit.

In the general fusilade Grattan Dalton, one of the two surviving members of the Texas Jack squad, Marshal Connelly, Geo. Cubine and M. Baldwin, one of Congdon’s bank clerks, were mortally hit and died on the field. Allie Ogee, only survivor of the band, was successful in escaping to the alley where the horses were tied, and mounting the swiftest of the lot, fled south in the direction of the Indian Territory. Emmett Dalton, who escaped from the First National bank, had already reached the alley in safety, but had some trouble in getting mounted. Several of the posse quickly mounted and pursued the escaping bandits.

Emmett Dalton's horse was no match for the fresher animals of his pursuers. As they closed on him he turned suddenly and fired upon the would-be captors. The latter answered with a volley, and Emmett toppled from his horse, hit hard. He was brought back to town, and died late this afternoon. He made an ante-mortem statement confessing to various crimes committed by the gang. Allie Ogee is still at large.

[The next few paragraphs are less interesting and I’ve skipped them to continue with: ]

THEY WERE ALL BROKE.

And Made the Fatal Raid to Replenish Their Purses.

COFFEYVILLE. Oct. 5.-Emmett Dalton was not dead at a late hour. He was slowly dying in a room in the hotel here, and his death is expected any moment. Indignation against the robbers was so intense this afternoon that the citizens wanted to lynch the dying bandit. To prevent this the coroner gave out that he was already dead. Up to 11 o'clock to-night Allie Ogee had not been captured.

Last night an Associated press representative had a talk with Emmett Dalton. He declared that the stories of hidden treasure were all nonsense. "If there had been any hidden treasure," he said. "we would all be alive to-day. It was because we were all broke that we planned the Coffeyville raid. We were being hard pressed down in the territory and Bob decided that we would have to get out of the country. He planned the robbery about two weeks ago while we were in Osage county. We tried to persuade him not to do it, and then he called us cowards. That settled it, and we started."

It was with great difficulty the bandit told the story, as he was suffering terribly from a wound in the side. The physician says he cannot possibly survive. Cashier Ayres is resting easier to-night.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I beat this game today. By the Numbers, Cold-blooded, Concentrated, Waste Not and Righteous Fire are incredible together.
By the Numbers is the standout skill. It's a complete gamechanger. It turns Concentration from a somewhat awkward bullet time, to something like (I poo poo you not) DMC's Devil Trigger. Righteous Fire is neat by itself, but it's even better when you can use the free temporary concentration to proc By the Numbers.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, it's my favorite level. It just shows off what this game is about so perfectly. Shame there's not a better bossfight but hey, at least it's not a duel.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Between the quick draw mechanics, the Forrest Gump approach to the West and the presence of the Dalton Brothers, I think you can call Gunslinger the world's best unofficial Lucky Luke FPS.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I feel you'd solve more challenges by using your akimbo pistols more, but that's me being a backseat gamer.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

I beat this game today. By the Numbers, Cold-blooded, Concentrated, Waste Not and Righteous Fire are incredible together.
By the Numbers is the standout skill. It's a complete gamechanger. It turns Concentration from a somewhat awkward bullet time, to something like (I poo poo you not) DMC's Devil Trigger. Righteous Fire is neat by itself, but it's even better when you can use the free temporary concentration to proc By the Numbers.

Yeah, ‘By the Numbers’ is absurdly strong. Before I have that, the game’s most pressing threats are large amounts of enemies. But when every 6th kill gives you a full bar, you can keep on using concentration indefinitely until no more new enemies spawn.

I think that ties in well with how Silas starts telling increasingly made-up and over the top tales. You start out really vulnerable and unable to string more than 2-4 combos together on a lucky encounter. The amount of guys you can murder in concentration slowly increases, and before you know it you really do kill a 100 guys in a single mission.

Gamerofthegame posted:

I feel you'd solve more challenges by using your akimbo pistols more, but that's me being a backseat gamer.

Perhaps, I don't use them a lot because I feel they're a bit too inaccurate, but that might just be prejudice. Whenever I do a test-run or some arcade, I often end up preferring to use the ranger revolver as a kind of hand-held rifle with faster firing rate. Two quickshooters can probably murder a ton as well though, and the reload is fast enough to barely notice. Edit: Actually, my last attempt at arcade mines with a gunslinger was pretty fun as well.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 2, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fleve posted:

Perhaps, I don't use them a lot because I feel they're a bit too inaccurate, but that might just be prejudice. Whenever I do a test-run or some arcade, I often end up preferring to use the ranger revolver as a kind of hand-held rifle with faster firing rate. Two quickshooters can probably murder a ton as well though, and the reload is fast enough to barely notice. Edit: Actually, my last attempt at arcade mines with a gunslinger was pretty fun as well.

Sometimes you don't need to be accurate, you just need to shoot more bullets to match what your enemies are shooting at you :v:

Snagged this game during the sale but haven't gotten into it yet. Reminds me of the good parts of the original Call of Juarez.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Overflight posted:

Between the quick draw mechanics, the Forrest Gump approach to the West and the presence of the Dalton Brothers, I think you can call Gunslinger the world's best unofficial Lucky Luke FPS.
Oh, yeah, I was genuinely surprised to find out the Dalton Brothers were real - and about as competent.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I had forgotten that this was the Rashomon level. Also its interesting how when people start interjecting, Silas doesn't get defensive, more... regretful?

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Man, I love this game. I blazed through it in an evening, then immediately restarted on the highest difficulty 'cause I just couldn't get enough :v:

You seem to play a hell of a lot differently than I did, though - I hardly ever used ironsights, dual wielded all the drat time, and for some reason didn't really like the rifle at all (the shorty one you get later on felt great for some reason, though). And the shotgun was my best friend - I loving loved that thing. Needless to say, my accuracy was completely shot, but hey, there's plenty of ammo in this game anyway :v:

I blame playing a shitload of Doom for my reckless FPS habits

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The playstyles do turn out fairly different - I usually go for the dynamite looting skill as soon as I can and spam the poo poo out of explosives.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

M.Ciaster posted:

Man, I love this game. I blazed through it in an evening, then immediately restarted on the highest difficulty 'cause I just couldn't get enough :v:

You seem to play a hell of a lot differently than I did, though - I hardly ever used ironsights, dual wielded all the drat time, and for some reason didn't really like the rifle at all (the shorty one you get later on felt great for some reason, though). And the shotgun was my best friend - I loving loved that thing. Needless to say, my accuracy was completely shot, but hey, there's plenty of ammo in this game anyway :v:

I blame playing a shitload of Doom for my reckless FPS habits

Haha, talk about opposites. I just recorded a bit where I'm complaining about the shorty rifle. You probably liked it cause its firing range is much higher compared to the normal rifle, high enough to rival the revolvers.

That's one of the strong points of the game I think, you'll get very different styles depending on what weapons you prefer and what skills you pick. I think it was partly because it's an LP and I thought it'd look better to go for accuracy rather than bullethose style. Hard difficulty also makes you pretty squishy and I wanted to avoid getting killed too much, sometimes that fucks with the narration a bit.

I haven't even tried the highest difficulty yet, that's 'true west' right, I think it's without interface? If you can soak even less damage there than on hard, it's probably really easy to get murdered. Does that change your playstyle a bit? On the other hand, starting with a ton of skills probably means you're already a formidable murdermachine making that difficulty a lot more appropriate.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Fleve posted:

I haven't even tried the highest difficulty yet, that's 'true west' right, I think it's without interface? If you can soak even less damage there than on hard, it's probably really easy to get murdered. Does that change your playstyle a bit? On the other hand, starting with a ton of skills probably means you're already a formidable murdermachine making that difficulty a lot more appropriate.
In my experience it's a lot of hiding behind the sturdiest wall you can find and blindly chucking dynamite over corners while praying they don't get a lucky shot. I honestly never even tried to use shotguns in that one.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

In my experience it's a lot of hiding behind the sturdiest wall you can find and blindly chucking dynamite over corners while praying they don't get a lucky shot. I honestly never even tried to use shotguns in that one.

That might turn a bit frustrating cause I feel like the cover isn't always firm. I've had multiple times where a bandits shoots through a wall and murders me cause I couldn't see where the drat bullet was coming from in sense of death. I'm ok with wood being punctured, but one time an Apache shot straight through 10 inches of rock, which left me so surprised I promptly died.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, totally. That carriage at start of Act 2 in particular is a loving sieve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Fleve posted:

Haha, talk about opposites. I just recorded a bit where I'm complaining about the shorty rifle. You probably liked it cause its firing range is much higher compared to the normal rifle, high enough to rival the revolvers.

That's one of the strong points of the game I think, you'll get very different styles depending on what weapons you prefer and what skills you pick. I think it was partly because it's an LP and I thought it'd look better to go for accuracy rather than bullethose style. Hard difficulty also makes you pretty squishy and I wanted to avoid getting killed too much, sometimes that fucks with the narration a bit.

Actually not 100% sure if it was True West, but you do get to choose between Normal and Hard right off the bat, right? If yes, it's gotta be that.

And yeah, I... took cover a bit more and that was it :v: I did lean a lot on the skills so yeah, the murdermachine comment is pretty on point - the concentration aimbot one in particular made poo poo a lot more manageable. And it's not like I just W+LMB my way through stuff usually either.

Still, there was a particular few parts that were a bit frustrating, like the Grey Wolf thing, the dynamite boss, and getting on the steamboat (keeping poo poo intentionally vague here, if you'd rather I spoiler tag this I'm gonna edit) - in particular the last one, it made me actually take a smoke break I was butting my head against it for so long. Still, it wasn't too bad, and I never actually felt like the game killed me unfairly - pretty much every death was my own fuckup. Brutal, but fair. From what you guys are saying here that isn't always the case so I guess I just got lucky :v:

Also, I'm pretty sure this game actually manages to avoid the idiotic bullet sponge enemies = difficulty thing so many shooters tend to do, so if you just kill 'em fast enough, you're good :ocelot:

• Locked thread