Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

While the shotgun is decidedly 'meh' when you start the game, by the time you've snagged some perks in the 'Trapper' selection, it suddenly goes from 'mediocre' to 'fire-breathing death'.

I've actually found that one weapon combination with certain perks allow you to lay waste to entire screenfuls of enemies with unending buckshot, but we'll get to that point eventually, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

I get the reference but honestly could never figure out what the upgraded weapons actually did apart from magically changing every single gun of its type in America into a more fabulous model.

All of the Engraved, Inlaid, or otherwise gilded weapons have better statistics than the basic ones, with the reasoning behind it being that a weapon that was made by a gunsmith for extremely tight tolerances for proper 'Fit and Finish' would be a lot better in action than a (comparatively) mass-produced model.

As for why you only find the shiny iterations after you unlock the attendant upgrade, that's likely a concession to gameplay.

Personally, I feel that the engraved weapons fit with the concession of the stories being very much 'Dime novels in action and deed'; The villains are villainous, the heros are heroic, and thus, the heros get the blinged-out weapons that can do crap like shoot farther or more accurately.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

One small detail in the game is that, every time you do get shot, the bullet hole on the screen looks very much like what happens when you shoot a paper target.

It's quite effectively poking holes in Silas' Story.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Samovar posted:

How do you load bullets into that kind of rifle? At the rear?

Nah; that indent on the right side of the reciever (which you get shown every time you reload) is the loading gate for the rifle's tube magazine. you're supposed to push the bullet in along the contour of the indent, which makes it pop open, and accept however many rounds you wish to deposit, up to the tube's capacity. (Also, using pointed bullets instead of flat-nose or round-nose ones in a tube magazine is a bad idea; I'll let you guess why)

Incidentally, most lever-action rifles of the time used the same cartridges as the owner's pistol, simply to avoid having to fumble for different-sized bullets on one's belt when reloading various firearms; in the game, Silas is generally considered 'moderately' armed, with a pair of handguns and a long gun, with the dynamite being the exception to the typical loadout for your average wild west ne'er-do-well.

• Locked thread