Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

I'm imagining you taking a hit of your inhaler after every sentence.

"Furthermore, the shade of off-white used in the fonts on the computer are TOTALLY the same color as those used for the HUDS in Battlestar!"

Yeah the fact that he instantly thought "Battlestar! So derivative" of stuff like a spaceship getting nuked or a crazy old man in space is enough for me to discount whatever he has to say about shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This was cool. All the ship sets are nuts, they look really well done. I read an early review that said this wan't very good but that was incorrect.

I love the long-limbed miner guys, and using Earth's gravity as a method of torture. I've never seen that before.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 24, 2015

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

am0kgonzo posted:

This was really impressive, imo.

Not sure about the dude playing Amos, though.

He wasn't immediately recognizable yeah but they can do a lot with whatever dialogue he gets through the series. Naomi, Alex, and Miller jumped right out as soon as they showed up on screen though.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This thread is already* showing it's TV/IV with posters jumping all over the guy who compared it to BSG, just like every review I read for the series before I watched the pilot, and just as I felt in terms of visuals. The stories may end up being vastly different, but this show has an undeniable BSG/Caprica feel to it.

For what it's worth I liked it.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 24, 2015

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
The only similarities between this show and BSG are that they're both space operas on the SciFi channel. The plots and characters are wildly different, and the visuals are only similar inasmuch as all shows set in space are going to have some base commonalities.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I liked how in the setting everything is outsourced to the private sector including law enforcement.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

People going into this series without having read the books really are at a disadvantage.

The series is really like Firefly/Spacenoir/Cold-war Political Thriller before it becomes like Mass Effect and that's just the first book.

I'd highly recommend the audiobooks over the books to anyone who hasn't heard them since the narrator nails lots of different accents/sexes very well.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

etalian posted:

I liked how in the setting everything is outsourced to the private sector including law enforcement.

It reminds me of Jennifer Government.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Bert Roberge posted:

People going into this series without having read the books really are at a disadvantage.

The series is really like Firefly/Spacenoir/Cold-war Political Thriller before it becomes like Mass Effect and that's just the first book.

I'd highly recommend the audiobooks over the books to anyone who hasn't heard them since the narrator nails lots of different accents/sexes very well.

Yeah I always like the political intrigue parts of the series but then they bring all the alien zombies and bomb monsters and I'm like "Really? Did we need to have that?" The big event in the latest book was Red Wedding level of HOLY poo poo though. Really interested to see where they go next.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Noctone posted:

The only similarities between this show and BSG are that they're both space operas on the SciFi channel. The plots and characters are wildly different, and the visuals are only similar inasmuch as all shows set in space are going to have some base commonalities.

BSG had magic gravity and FTL over a hard scifi aesthetic. The Expanse is just hard scifi.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

gohmak posted:

BSG had magic gravity and FTL over a hard scifi aesthetic. The Expanse is just hard scifi.

This is probably the hardest space scifi tv series of all time I think. For the first half at least.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gohmak posted:

Roman would approve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCqjR1gHyIQ

Also really funny whenever a new show comes out doing something different like Vikings or The Last Kingdom you have piles of people saying "Game of Thrones with Vikings".

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I read the spoilers and I'm sort of disappointed now

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Good news for cable cutters is the show will available at places like Google Play or Itunes

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Bert Roberge posted:

Wow, you know what? I've never even considered how someone might do an audio book narration. I'll have to check that out, sounds interesting!

I'm definitely more optimistic about Amos, because even though he's not who i pictured either, I've seen the actor pull off that "friendly smile with his mouth while his eyes say casual murder" pretty well in the past. That, and he seems to understand the character fundamentally in the interviews. Hopefully in the next episode he gets more of an opportunity to show that. He didn't get the scenes for instant character definition that Alex and Naomi did.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

KatWithHands posted:

I'm definitely more optimistic about Amos, because even though he's not who i pictured either, I've seen the actor pull off that "friendly smile with his mouth while his eyes say casual murder" pretty well in the past. That, and he seems to understand the character fundamentally in the interviews. Hopefully in the next episode he gets more of an opportunity to show that. He didn't get the scenes for instant character definition that Alex and Naomi did.

Amos really does remind me of

Hopefully he'll get to emote more barely constrained rage in later episodes.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Professor Shark posted:

I read the spoilers and I'm sort of disappointed now
In what way? The books read way better than you'd expect from the synopses. Probably going to be the same with spoilers posted here and the series progressing.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Oh good lord, that's a terrifying comparison that's gonna stick with me.

But now that I think of it, it's not a huge surprise that they didn't showcase his personality right away. They didn't really bring attention to that 'sympathetic monster' vibe right away in the books, either. Just hoping they don't hold off on it as much in the show.

I feel bad for the people who read those spoilers, but to be completely fair, even if you're coming into the show completely fresh, the first five minutes of the pilot give you fair warning that things are going to get really weird. Unless glowing blue screaming biomasses are a regular condition in space travel.

If you got spoiled and feel put off from the series, don't be. Please check it out still, because it's actually pretty damned cool, and I'm so psyched to see how they continue it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Some lucky nerds got to visit the sets from The Expanse:
http://io9.com/our-visit-to-the-mind-blowingly-realistic-spaceship-set-1743284262

Has some mild spoilers about future locations but the show is using massive continuous sets for some of scenes.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

In what way? The books read way better than you'd expect from the synopses. Probably going to be the same with spoilers posted here and the series progressing.

By spoilers I meant the very brief synopsis of the first novel on Wikipedia.

I've digested it and have reconsidered, I'm looking forward to this series.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzUATesLdcs

etalian fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 24, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

etalian posted:

Good news for cable cutters is the show will available at places like Google Play or Itunes

It looks like Syfy will have the episodes online, does anyone know if Space will? :canada:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

The official subtitles are terrible, I had to manually edit them to be ~700ms earlier. Even then, that didn't fix the overlapping issues (half a sentence would be on the next line, etc etc)

Other than that, it's shaping up to be a good show.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

It looks like Syfy will have the episodes online, does anyone know if Space will? :canada:

I believe so! They took a few hours to put the pilot up, but I think they're going to follow through.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
Xpost from book barn:

This was pretty excellent. My only minor problems with it are personal, such as casting. I always imagined Amos as a much more intimidating scary rear end mofo. First impression here is that there is a guy called Amos? Pfft.

And Holden is not charismatic enough. Maybe the actors will grow into their roles, who knows.

Otherwise, really liked the attention to detail on set and ship designs. The solar system feels plausible. The plot is intriguing.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Grimwall posted:

Xpost from book barn:

This was pretty excellent. My only minor problems with it are personal, such as casting. I always imagined Amos as a much more intimidating scary rear end mofo. First impression here is that there is a guy called Amos? Pfft.

And Holden is not charismatic enough. Maybe the actors will grow into their roles, who knows.

Otherwise, really liked the attention to detail on set and ship designs. The solar system feels plausible. The plot is intriguing.

I always imagined him looking 10 years older. This guy's got a baby face, although he's apparently 37. Guess we'll have to wait till he's gotta threaten someone to see what's up.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Amos is described as having a baby face too, though, as well as looking generally amiable. I think Chatham is perfect.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

Amos is described as having a baby face too, though, as well as looking generally amiable. I think Chatham is perfect.

Yeah, I think the intimidating impression people tend to get about the character is the fact that he can be scary in spite of looking like a forgettable baby-face truck driver. I think that was how Ana described him, the kind of guy you don't think about past that friendly interaction before and after he fixes your plumbing

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

This intro and especially the first few bars of the music seem to be borrowing heavily from Game of Thrones.

Like it's pretty on the nose.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Bert Roberge posted:

This intro and especially the first few bars of the music seem to be borrowing heavily from Game of Thrones.

I actually got much more of a Pillars of the Earth vibe from it, with the sketchiness of the time-lapse and the build-up in the music. But maybe that's because I've been watching it recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Roelg7iLvdE

VVV I could go on for hours about Amos' characterization, and would fight to the death to defend his honour from being called another Jayne rip-off.

KatWithHands fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 24, 2015

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

KatWithHands posted:

Yeah, I think the intimidating impression people tend to get about the character is the fact that he can be scary in spite of looking like a forgettable baby-face truck driver. I think that was how Ana described him, the kind of guy you don't think about past that friendly interaction before and after he fixes your plumbing

Ah. Must have just had "Jayne Cobb knockoff". stuck in my brain this whole time.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Bert Roberge posted:

It's absolutely nothing like the Game of Thrones intro, aside from it being an intro to a TV show and CGI

I'm joking

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

It's absolutely nothing like the Game of Thrones intro, aside from it being an intro to a TV show and CGI

I'm joking

The little bits of the sinking and buildup of the Statue of Liberty really remind me of it.

George R. R. Martin is pretty good friends with one of the authors apparently.

The Expanse universe started as a failed MMO pitch then Pen and Paper game according to this.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/...5HPStwNw-_-10:1

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bert Roberge posted:

It's like Game of Thrones in space because it had a sex scene in space

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Bert Roberge posted:

The little bits of the sinking and buildup of the Statue of Liberty really remind me of it.

George R. R. Martin is pretty good friends with one of the authors apparently.

The Expanse universe started as a failed MMO pitch then Pen and Paper game according to this.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/...5HPStwNw-_-10:1

I was riffing on Noctune's post at the top of this page about how this show is stylistically dissimilar from BSG/ Caprica despite viewers and critics saying that it does and Syfy talking about how they really wanted to make a show similar to BSG

I wholeheartedly agree that the intro is ripped from GoT, my sharkysense tells me this show is going to be a combination of those shows in order to (hopefully) make something really successful.

At the very least HBO will learn from it's mistakes when they do Foundation

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
I thought autists were obsessive and exact when it came to fiction but I guess that reading differences in non-cartoon settings must be as hard as reading differences in facial expression.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

I was riffing on Noctune's post at the top of this page about how this show is stylistically dissimilar from BSG/ Caprica despite viewers and critics saying that it does and Syfy talking about how they really wanted to make a show similar to BSG

I know I just wanted to :spergin:

That shot of the Statue of Liberty being below sea level was great.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Na'at posted:

I thought autists were obsessive and exact when it came to fiction but I guess that reading differences in non-cartoon settings must be as hard as reading differences in facial expression.

lol sickkk :xd:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Critics are dumb and lazy, I don't give a poo poo what they think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah but they also have access to people who actually create shows, and several articles I've read have not only said that Syfy set out to make a space-opera like Battlestar, but the show is actually intended to be reminiscent of Battlestar in order to attract fans of that show who left when it finished up and Syfy had nothing left to offer them.

I'm having flashbacks of The Leftovers thread where goons were in complete denial that the show shared any sort of similarities to LOST

• Locked thread