Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I for one am angry the character is the show doesn't look like the character in the books I never read.

Will stop watching the show

etalian fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
OK but the plot and characters are nothing like BSG and as far as I know they're staying true to the source material, soooo. I mean maybe they wanted the visual style to be similar but it didn't seem that way to me watching the first episode.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
I can't believe how similar The Wire and iZombie are. Cars, buildings, 21st century Earth and Police. Not to mention using the visual style of blue sky, asphalt roads and America.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Noctone posted:

OK but the plot and characters are nothing like BSG and as far as I know they're staying true to the source material, soooo. I mean maybe they wanted the visual style to be similar but it didn't seem that way to me watching the first episode.

Yeah I don't want to be misunderstood as saying this show is basically BSG! :byodood:, the plot seems to be very different, however I got a BSG and Caprica vibes from it myself.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Fair does. :) It'll become a lot clearer one way or the other as we see more episodes.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Anyway, I like the show- I hope I'm out of the hospital by the 15th so I can see the next episode, but these wicked-sick burns that Na'at is laying down on me might take a while to heal :shrug:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Edit: gently caress, first time I've done the quote/edit thing

Noctone posted:

Fair does. :) It'll become a lot clearer one way or the other as we see more episodes.

Yeah, as soon as I saw the word "alien" in the spoilers I figured it would have to pull away

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

The real BSG stuff doesn't start until later books when you get to see 1 character having mysterious hallucinations

You could argue in the vaguest sense that both shows have a theme of the created rebelling against their creators.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Speaking of The Wire, Cutty has a pretty significant role in The Expanse.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
And speaking of iZombie so do vomit zombies

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Na'at posted:

I can't believe how similar The Wire and iZombie are. Cars, buildings, 21st century Earth and Police. Not to mention using the visual style of blue sky, asphalt roads and America.

They both really explore addiction and the consequences of it to a larger city. :colbert:

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Na'at posted:

And speaking of iZombie so do vomit zombies

This is why people should read the books completely fresh. The :stare: factor when you first reach it.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

KatWithHands posted:

This is why people should read the books completely fresh. The :stare: factor when you first reach it.

The whole series goes full Cronenburg.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm picking the first couple books up this Friday, I want to be in the know

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Bert Roberge posted:

The real BSG stuff doesn't start until later books when you get to see 1 character having mysterious hallucinations
Except that these hallucinations stem from alien nanotech messing with Holden and not some mysterious God with a penchant for reruns.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Except that these hallucinations stem from alien nanotech messing with Holden and not some mysterious God with a penchant for reruns.

it's hard sci fi without mystical bullshit elements

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

KatWithHands posted:

I actually got much more of a Pillars of the Earth vibe from it, with the sketchiness of the time-lapse and the build-up in the music. But maybe that's because I've been watching it recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Roelg7iLvdE

VVV I could go on for hours about Amos' characterization, and would fight to the death to defend his honour from being called another Jayne rip-off.

I legitimately had no idea they made a television adaptation of The Pillars of the Earth and now I have something to watch while anticipating the Expanse.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vanderdeath posted:

I legitimately had no idea they made a television adaptation of The Pillars of the Earth and now I have something to watch while anticipating the Expanse.

It was pretty decent if not great and had al swearengen as a corrupt bishop.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

etalian posted:

I for one am angry the character is the show doesn't look like the character in the books I never read.

Will stop watching the show

When you hear the name Ade Tukumbo do you really picture

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

etalian posted:

it's hard sci fi without mystical bullshit elements

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
the aliens are pretty magical; magic portals in space; able to turn off 'fusion' in an area; zombies etc; turning a planet into a huge space ship thingy; violating the laws of inertia; reactionless drives. ain't exactly hard sci fi. _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Vanderdeath posted:

There's also an adaptation of World Without End.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

In the pilot, am I mistaken in thinking I saw James shave some of a match into his drink? What's that about?

Nichael fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 25, 2015

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Nichael posted:

In the pilot, am I mistaken in thinking I saw James shave some of a match into his drink? What's that about?

Looked like that. Maybe he hates the coffee is so bad that makes it good? He complains about/compliments coffee a lot in the books.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Nichael posted:

At the time I assumed that was some sort of stimulant drug he was adding to it but it wasn't super clear.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Yeah I don't really get it either. I mean I assume it's supposed to give it an extra stimulative kick, but match heads are made of phosphorus and there's already plenty of that in coffee.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Nichael posted:

It's probably some sort of stimulant to make the equivalent of something like the chicory coffee they used to make in the Civil War. It's emphasized several times how lovely the coffee is in the books and the weird lengths people go to to get something like it.

Alternative out-there theory: there's an urban legend that ingesting match heads helps keep fleas, ticks, and insects away because of the sulfur content. We already saw a rat on the ship so maybe the whole place is just infested with vermin. In reality they're just full of bad chemicals but in low doses they won't kill you but can make your breath/sweat smell like garlic.

People with mineral deficiencies can also crave strange substances due to pica disorder and they've already emphasized how the belters are mostly malnourished.

I don't think the match head thing was in the books.

The match head kinda fits with the title intro of 'a small spark igniting a war' which Holden ends up becoming

Bert Roberge fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 25, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Baloogan posted:

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
the aliens are pretty magical; magic portals in space; able to turn off 'fusion' in an area; zombies etc; turning a planet into a huge space ship thingy; violating the laws of inertia; reactionless drives. ain't exactly hard sci fi. _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Wasn't it something something of having figured out how to change universal physical constants?

Well, it ain't hard, but hardish enough. But better than magic.

The zombies and planet into spaceship is nanotech stuff, tho.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 25, 2015

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

etalian posted:

It was pretty decent if not great and had al swearengen as a corrupt bishop.

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's also an adaptation of World Without End.

Man, now I'm excited to watch these. The Pillars of the Earth was my first "real" literature book I read for fun, along with Creation by Gore Vidal. I'd love to see someone do an adaptation of the latter, too.

Between Naomi and Miller, this show's got the undercut hairstyle game on lock. Both of them are wearing it well.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wasn't it something something of having figured out how to change universal physical constants?

Well, it ain't hard, but hardish enough. But better than magic.

The zombies and planet into spaceship is nanotech stuff, tho.

It seems like nanotech is the current way to explain magic in "hard" sci-fi. I remember reading an old Iron Man comic from the 60's and every time the suit did something crazy, he'd explain it with :science: TRANSISTORS :science:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gyges fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 25, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

GigaPeon posted:

It seems like nanotech is the current way to explain magic in "hard" sci-fi. I remember reading an old Iron Man comic from the 60's and every time the suit did something crazy, he'd explain it with :science: TRANSISTORS :science:
Yeah, point taken. But at least there's some grounding in actual concepts and possibilities.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, point taken. But at least there's some grounding in actual concepts and possibilities.

Additionally I think it was stated by Miller at some point that the entire portion of the book there occurs in an alternate dimension so maybe that's why they're able to play around like that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm still reading Cibola Burn (on a very slow burn for unrelated reasons), did I miss this or is it coming up?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________
___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________

___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________

peeps come back from the dead and haunt the main character. its magic. its fantasy tropes on space ships. also the engines on space ships alone would prevent the books from being hard sci fi. in the book characters refer to the tech as god like. FTL communication, locking down maximum speeds. wormholes to wormhole hub stations / FTL travel, ghosts! zombies! Its a good space opera, but don't pretend its hard sci fi! Its much, much, much less hard than Firefly and firefly wasn't hard. ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________

:goonsay:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Baloogan posted:

___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________
___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________

___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________

peeps come back from the dead and haunt the main character. its magic. its fantasy tropes on space ships. also the engines on space ships alone would prevent the books from being hard sci fi. in the book characters refer to the tech as god like. FTL communication, locking down maximum speeds. wormholes to wormhole hub stations / FTL travel, ghosts! zombies! Its a good space opera, but don't pretend its hard sci fi! Its much, much, much less hard than Firefly and firefly wasn't hard. ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________

:goonsay:

Nobody came back from the dead. Miller's personality was assimilated by the proto-form, just as it had assimilated all the other Belters. It used him to communicate, because it had deviated from it's original design (which was assimilating simple life forms and adapting them) by adapting an advanced and complex life-form. There weren't "zombies" either (other than how the characters labeled them), again proto-lifeform using the drained corpses as a mobile infection vector.

I agree it's a Space Opera, but it's definitely hard than Firefly (artificial gravity? Inertialess acceleration?)

And holy poo poo all those "_" you use are annoying as gently caress.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Why are you deliberately making your posts so annoying? And yes, the books qualify as hard-sci-fi no matter what you say.

Bert Roberge posted:

Crazy spoiler for later in the series Holden eventually gets a decent cup of coffee.

This is actually true!

Bert Roberge posted:

George R. R. Martin is pretty good friends with one of the authors apparently.

More than that, one of the authors is (was?) his assistant.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The difference between Hard Sci-Fi and Soft Sci-Fi isn't really that clear and cut, Clarke's Third Law and the such, there's really no point arguing about this nearly meaningless distinction.

The Expanse has a lot of sentences about acceleration and forces and the effect the great distances of the solar system have on communication, some of its plot devices are plausible, others aren't and are quite fantastical. What difference does it make really?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

flosofl posted:

Nobody came back from the dead. Miller's personality was assimilated by the proto-form, just as it had assimilated all the other Belters. It used him to communicate, because it had deviated from it's original design (which was assimilating simple life forms and adapting them) by adapting an advanced and complex life-form. There weren't "zombies" either (other than how the characters labeled them), again proto-lifeform using the drained corpses as a mobile infection vector.

I agree it's a Space Opera, but it's definitely hard than Firefly (artificial gravity? Inertialess acceleration?)

And holy poo poo all those "_" you use are annoying as gently caress.

You can't tell me that moving corpses filled with an infectious proto-virus that spreads it through contact and are labeled zombies by the characters aren't a kind of zombie. That's like textbook definition.

But we all like the books here, or at least the show. Let's all come back each week and talk about it!

P.S. Naomi should be hella taller.

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 25, 2015

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The difference between Hard Sci-Fi and Soft Sci-Fi isn't really that clear and cut, Clarke's Third Law and the such, there's really no point arguing about this nearly meaningless distinction.

The Expanse has a lot of sentences about acceleration and forces and the effect the great distances of the solar system have on communication, some of its plot devices are plausible, others aren't and are quite fantastical. What difference does it make really?

Man just let us get our aspy on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

GigaPeon posted:

You can't tell me that moving corpses filled with an infectious proto-virus that spreads it through contact and are labeled zombies by the characters aren't a kind of zombie. That's like textbook definition.
Given that the books mentioning tubes and poo poo sticking out of these "zombies", they're more or less like the Borg.

• Locked thread