Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I just recently got back into freespace 2 and I forgot how good the campaign was, especially the missions where you are under cover, they were scripted much better than most other campaign

someone I know was raving about I-war but I've never tried it, is it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Kingdom Hearts.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJvYZXUT5Bk

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Lylat Wars

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

even though ive never played it its probably super mario galaxy 2

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I really enjoyed Solar Winds for DOS back in the day. And Star Control II / Ur-Quan Masters.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

I really enjoyed Solar Winds for DOS back in the day. And Star Control II / Ur-Quan Masters.

solar winds was a perfect example of a shareware game with front loaded content

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Crimson Harvest posted:

every time I try to get into urquan masters I get stuck on the resource collection aspect/fuel

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
X3:AP, but it's probably because I never played may space combats in my life.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

solar winds was a perfect example of a shareware game with front loaded content

I'm not sure I played the full version, but I definitely got my $0 out of the shareware copy from BBS downloads.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

program666 posted:

X3:AP, but it's probably because I never played may space combats in my life.

This is a real good choice. It's a totally other scale than stuff like Freespace, really the only worthwhile space empire builder.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Escape Velocity: Nova

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Halo: Reach

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

qnqnx posted:

Escape Velocity: Nova

This is the only one of those that got a PC release right? I played it a bunch. Especially liked the zero-inertia ship.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Crimson Harvest posted:

This is the only one of those that got a PC release right? I played it a bunch. Especially liked the zero-inertia ship.

It was, and zero inertia sucks rear end because of not being able to move in one direction while shooting in another

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Star Wars: Rogue Leader - Rogue Squadron II, OP.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Tekopo posted:

I just recently got back into freespace 2 and I forgot how good the campaign was, especially the missions where you are under cover, they were scripted much better than most other campaign

fs2 has a shitload of good mods, play the blue planet campaign. also for urquan masters just look up the coordinates for a resource rich system and clean it out then never gather resources again

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Colony Wars

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Halo 3: ODST

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

Star Wars: Rogue Leader - Rogue Squadron II, OP.

Wait, this!!!!!!!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Tekopo posted:

Freespace 2 is insanely good and unmatched--nothing even comes remotely close to it. But yeah rogue leader/squadron are good games.

I remember Starlancer for Dreamcast being pretty good, I know it had a PC version but it's probably dated now and doesn't have all the cool graphic mods and such that FS2 has. There's also Freelancer which had decent combat and was more like Diablo 2 in Space, but over-ambitious scope and kind of flawed, and I don't remember the campaign being very good.

X3 games are complete poo poo unless you're autistic and love horrible UIs that someone vomited numbers all over; and want to manage some boring offline EVE trading poo poo or something. Who knows because they were all virtually unplayable and really boring.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

XWing vs TIE Fighter op

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i don't like space ship combat games. flame me if you want, i just don't care for them

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
If you want something a little different, there's a new space game, Rebel Galaxy that came out but plays more like Assassins Creed 4 boat battles on a (mostly) 2d plane. It does the whole "start with a dinky freighter with a machine gun" and slowly upgrading piecemeal into a giant capital behemoth shooting out tons of lasers and flak everywhere. It's more if you want to go run around doing little quests, which do get repetitive at times, while shooting a bunch of stuff and progressing through some campaign missions. might want to look into it during the next sale.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
Freespace 2 and the space battles in Star Wars: Battlefront II are the ones I have the most hardcore nostalgia for

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xaris posted:

If you want something a little different, there's a new space game, Rebel Galaxy that came out but plays more like Assassins Creed 4 boat battles on a (mostly) 2d plane. It does the whole "start with a dinky freighter with a machine gun" and slowly upgrading piecemeal into a giant capital behemoth shooting out tons of lasers and flak everywhere. It's more if you want to go run around doing little quests, which do get repetitive at times, while shooting a bunch of stuff and progressing through some campaign missions. might want to look into it during the next sale.

:yikes:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Xaris posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A space combat simulator inspired by Assassin's Creed 4 made by 1/12 of the team that made the first Torchlight.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Edit: wrong thread

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Xaris posted:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

qnqnx posted:

It was, and zero inertia sucks rear end because of not being able to move in one direction while shooting in another

An inertialess manticore in heavily modded Nova kicks rear end though.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

In a cutthroat rebel galaxy, the first casualty is that which is most innocent; my wallet.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lumpy the Cook posted:

In a cutthroat rebel galaxy, the first casualty is that which is most innocent; my wallet.
Rebel Galaxy devs Me

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Goonstart The Galaxy

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Black Baby Goku posted:

Goonstart The Galaxy
The Goon is a Harsh Mistress

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Vengance is very good.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Star Citizen. (under breath) Lmao! Lmao!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Xaris posted:

X3 games are complete poo poo unless you're autistic and love horrible UIs that someone vomited numbers all over; and want to manage some boring offline EVE trading poo poo or something. Who knows because they were all virtually unplayable and really boring.

Good summary of X3 imo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

net cafe scandal posted:

Star Citizen. (under breath) Lmao! Lmao!
Shart Shitizen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

• Locked thread