Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Any reason why you didn't just merge the gas block and front sight mount into a single part?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ahh. Well do the combo block anyway for the SBR version

Also, what do you think will happen if you chamber and drop the hammer on a 7.62x39? From a accident/safety perspective?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Would that kind of discharge damage the ID of the barrel?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Do you have to make a bunch of additional cuts so that your new parts play nice with furniture?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Lathespin.gif posted:

Build a gundrilling and cut rifling machine?? Agreed

Especially since you're running CNC, is there a reason you're not milling integral picatinny rails into the front blocks, rather than tapping and bolting on rail sections?

Please make a bunch of extra rear blocks if they fit x39 AK. Kthx.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Rail height looks high but maybe I'm not looking at it right. What are your plans for iron sights?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

shalafi4 posted:

Irons we were planning on using low profile AR sights most likely. Also the front and rear blocks are the same height.

I didn't even know such things existed. I'll have to check that out. I guess I'll just have to see the design once its assembled. The rail still looks high. So with an optic attached with a low mount, were you expecting to get a good cheek weld with standard AK stock profile or a raised stock/comb?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Final option(?): get the full blown 9x39 AK from shalafi4 co.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Wa11y posted:

I really sounds like you should be reading and posting in the Newbie Question Thread not in a thread pretty much dedicated to completely non-newbie things, like building a custom gun from scratch for a wildcat cartridge.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

It's kind of ballsy as it is starting a project like this in school but then again having access to school resources helps a lot. It's like the best/worst.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ah chem equations. Did you factor in any pressure drop between the bullet leaving the case and when it passes the gas port? Seems like a bubba method would be to just undersize the hole and do a binary style search for the right practical size. You only have so many drill sizes anyway unless you use a taper reamer.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

And then the weakest/strongest still work making you rethink your calc.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Why not just make the hole towards the big end of hole sizes and make your gas block adjustable? If you're going to be loving around with different loads and barrel lengths and suppressors anyway.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Flatland Crusoe posted:

Because in the long run over gassed semiautos break stocks and batter receivers.

If you are going to sell the barrels optimizing the gas port should be a thing you have figured out at least to some extent.

Just trying to save the effort of taking a gas block off and putting back on for each test iteration. Not suggesting he sell barrels with an oversized port. This would strictly be for testing with an adjustable gas block..

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

shalafi4 posted:

Also I think I just solved my removing the gas block problem.

Undersized shoulder bolts exist

Please to be diagram. No understand meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

shalafi4 posted:

Meet Mr. Dr. Shoulder bolt

So that ground surface is done like a precision pin They're typically on size but some are a few thousands of an inch undersized. Basically instead of pinning the gas block and front sight block on. I run a couple of undersized pins through and tighten a nut on the other side. Probably would rattle loose long term but for basic function testing it should hold up fine.

If its just temporary, how is it any better than a standard bolt?

• Locked thread