Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

I was wondering about the availability of 358 bullets vs. 366 but apparently 9.3mm is a big huge thing I'd never heard of until looking for it so there's plenty of options.

Any chance you'd care to crank out some dummy rounds for the collectors among us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

Shaocaholica posted:

Also, what do you think will happen if you chamber and drop the hammer on a 7.62x39? From a accident/safety perspective?

My guess is that if it even goes off, it will look something like this:

The bullet will fart out in a relatively safe manner, the case will then be fireformed, and the action probably won't cycle.

That's if it goes off. I'm not sure if the shoulder is close enough for it to headspace correctly; if it doesn't the firing pin probably won't even get a proper whack at the primer.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The coloration of the tip indicates that it's heated up significantly which ruins the heat treating/temper and causes the bit to soften and rapidly dull rather than cut.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Sounds like machining a bar of soap.

This whole discussion has shed light on why my stainless barrel has eaten a series of drill bits, though. :|

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

So where did you find to make suitable barrels?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I hope you do start selling 'em, cuz I wanna put one on a handi soooo bad now.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

How much for a straight up blank? Like, 1" round stock with a rifled hole down it of whatever >16" length they do them in.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It wouldn't be TOO difficult to appropriately thread one of these barrels and screw it into an existing 7.62x39 AR setup.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah. 9x39 isn't really available in the US so this is essentially a wildcat project.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Bummey posted:

Why bother when 300 blackout exists to do basically the same thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

You could also hit up these guys and see what size port they used.

• Locked thread