Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

shalafi4 posted:

Have some machining Pr0n to hold yourself over until I get the time to write the next full update

This

Plus this

Equals this

Also click to biggify and you can see the tool paths in the block.

I always wondered how weird profiles like that got machined, neat! Would something like this be possible without CNC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

shalafi4 posted:

Remember kids, no friction welding in the machine shop.

No matter what a stripper says?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Lathespin.gif posted:

... roughing @ 2,500 SFM?! what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

for non-machinists Surface Feet per Minute is how fast the blade/cutter is passing the work, like how fast a needle might be traveling on a record, etc. Most steels and stainless steels are somewhere between like, 50-120 sfm, aluminum 300++ sfm...

2.5k, JESUS CHRIST

I'm pretty sure even a warm knife through butter can't go that fast.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Javid posted:

I hope you do start selling 'em, cuz I wanna put one on a handi soooo bad now.

Perhaps if you were to give him a handi...

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

shalafi4 posted:

oh well... had to attempt to spread the 9x39 bug

Might be an easier sell if you make an effort post as to what else is required in terms of gun/parts/tools/skills.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Too much work, just open the hole up progressively with number drill bits until it runs, if you make it too big then that just means you now get to create/incorporate an adjustable gas block to your design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

shalafi4 posted:

I kind of ruled out stepping up the sized a little bit at a time because that would require pressing pins in and out to remove the gas block each time

Could just make a second gas block with a large threaded hole on the top to give you access to the port. Once you find the right size hole then swap in the final GB.

• Locked thread