Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Hey folks,

seemed like some people were interested in this in the main thread so I figured I'd start a thread to run this tournament.

Standard construction rules apply - 60 card deck, 15 card sideboard.

We are building decks with cards exclusively from the Commander, Planechase, and Conspiracy sets.

Planes and Conspiracies themselves are banned. No other cards are banned, which means you get to play with three legacy-banned cards - Sol Ring, Skullclamp, and Windfall. This might be broken-to-gently caress - it's your job to figure that out!

Please post in this thread indicating you are signing up. I'll post brackets monday morning (11/30) (PST if that matters). We won't need decklists for the first round but after that I would like us to publicly post our decklists so we can learn the meta.

Here's a handy link to all the cards that are legal (any product that has "commander" "planechase" "archenemy" or "conspiracy" in the title, including Commander's Arsenal)

http://magiccards.info/query?q=%28e...&v=card&s=cname

This is a larger cardpool than standard with powerful legacy cards like Sol Ring and Brainstorm and then only dumb 8 mana spells to cast with them.

If you have any card questions feel free to post them here.

Happy Brewing!

1 week to play (new pairings will go up on the next monday).

never got confirmation on the following people, so let me know if you're in:

cheetah7071
newtestleper
archentron
PJ Omega

I have added you guys in paired against each other (for the most part, one of you has a bye and one of you is paired against a "real" player to give them the chance to play if you're in).

There's a challonge here:
http://challonge.com/goonbrews01

Here's the pairings if you hate clicking links. People in italics may not actually be playing and thus are byes and will be dropped after the first round:
defeatest elitist
odiv

ramos
lancelot

pussy snorkel
elyv

suicidesteve
muon

chamale
Sigma-X

irony be my shield
olothreutes

little munchkin
newtestleper

cheetah7071
archentron

BYE
PJ Omega

Please report here when you're done.

Once the first round is complete I'd like people to post their decklists to the thread so we can get a sense of the meta.

Please use Xmage to play the game unless you run into card support issues:
http://xmage.de/
Use xmage.de as your xmage server as they update more regularly and will be on the latest version compared to woogerworks.

If you run into card support issues for your deck, please use cockatrice instead.
http://www.woogerworks.com/ Use the woogerworks cockatrice server for cockatrice.

In addition to using PMs, e-mails, or whatever the hell you want to share for contact info, consider meeting up in the GOON IRC:

use this cool webclient if you don't know/care about IRC clients
http://cgiirc.synirc.net/

We meet in #mtgoon
It should be irc.synirc.net as the server and #mtgoon for room.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Dec 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I have no idea what the gently caress I'm going to run or how I'm going to figure that out, but I'm in.

You mean to say minimum 60 card deck, right? Maybe I'll just run a Commander pre-con okay, no I won't

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sign me up. Time to watch the meta evolve into shops and anti-shops.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
For the record, archenemy schemes go into the command zone as well, so maybe that should be allowed too?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

For the record, archenemy schemes go into the command zone as well, so maybe that should be allowed too?

These actually snuck in! Schemes are not part of deck construction but all regular cards are.

odiv posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress I'm going to run or how I'm going to figure that out, but I'm in.

You mean to say minimum 60 card deck, right? Maybe I'll just run a Commander pre-con okay, no I won't

Yeah minimum 60 cards. I don't think Battle of Wits is in this format but go nuts with your ridiculous sized deck.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
I'm interested and sorry in advance for what I'm going to play.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

I'm interested. I'm learning XMage now.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Also interested. There certainly seem to be plenty of options.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
This is some super-fun brewing. Not sure if I'm in but it's a fun thought experiment at the very least

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I am interested.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Just from looking at the Planechase and Conspiracy sets, I can see a fantastic spread of potential archetypes, and I know the Commander sets have assorted goodies in them. This might be fun.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
This should be interesting.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm interested, provided I can get xMage up and running.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I am interested

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I am in.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

poo poo, I'm in. I never do this poo poo but the semester is over in two weeks and I need something to do when I'm avoiding my thesis. Xmage, huh?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Well this sounds like the worst thing ever. I wasn't going to be in, but I brewed the perfect deck so I'm in.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

After preliminary testing I can confirm that this is some extremely good poo poo. The mix of extremely absurd cards and strategies with the extremely specific lack of certain powerful cards is really really amazing.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I am interested, I can't wait to build a bad and dumb deck

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

Sigma-X posted:

Hey folks,

seemed like some people were interested in this in the main thread so I figured I'd start a thread to run this tournament.

Standard construction rules apply - 60 card deck, 15 card sideboard.

We are building decks with cards exclusively from the Commander, Planechase, and Conspiracy sets.

Planes and Conspiracies themselves are banned. No other cards are banned, which means you get to play with three legacy-banned cards - Sol Ring, Skullclamp, and Windfall. This might be broken-to-gently caress - it's your job to figure that out!

Please post in this thread indicating you are signing up. I'll post brackets monday morning (11/30) (PST if that matters). We won't need decklists for the first round but after that I would like us to publicly post our decklists so we can learn the meta.

Here's a handy link to all the cards that are legal (any product that has "commander" "planechase" "archenemy" or "conspiracy" in the title, including Commander's Arsenal)

This is a larger cardpool than standard with powerful legacy cards like Sol Ring and Brainstorm and then only dumb 8 mana spells to cast with them.

If you have any card questions feel free to post them here.

We will arrange matches with xMage or Cockatrice (depending on card availability, I'm not sure if everything works in XMage) and I will edit in the info for how to get/run those programs here later when I am not lazy.

Happy Brewing!

The query in the OP include conspiracies; here's one that'll show you all of the legal cards with none of the banned ones.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I've gotten Xmage and built the start of a deck but I can't get Xmage to let me play the deck at all because it isn't legal in any format. I don't know if Xmage will let us play a custom format or not, but I haven't found a way yet.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Olothreutes posted:

I've gotten Xmage and built the start of a deck but I can't get Xmage to let me play the deck at all because it isn't legal in any format. I don't know if Xmage will let us play a custom format or not, but I haven't found a way yet.

Yeah, I am also experiencing this.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Just make a limited game. There's no limits on that besides needing at least a forty card deck. I was able to make a table with a deck of 41 sol rings.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Ramos posted:

Just make a limited game. There's no limits on that besides needing at least a forty card deck. I was able to make a table with a deck of 41 sol rings.

I tried that but couldn't get it to let the AI join that table. I guess I need another human to test against, or a better AI?

E: VV Yeah, just realized that. Whoops.

E2: I think the forums ate a post I made here. Not sure.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 28, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You can make your own server if you want to play against the AI.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You can make your own server if you want to play against the AI.

Yeah I just realizee this, the AI is probably disabled on public servers. I am good at computer.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 28, 2015

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It didn't eat a post entirely, technically, it just doesn't show up at the bottom of the page at times until someone else makes a post.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Ramos posted:

It didn't eat a post entirely, technically, it just doesn't show up at the bottom of the page at times until someone else makes a post.

That's really bizarre, and also the first time that I've ever encountered that behavior. I'm assuming it's a newish bug, but maybe I've just not seen it until now.

I did manage to get the AI running on my local server and it is not the brightest thing ever. At least I can try to gold fish the deck but I've never seen it attack into a blocker or block anything. The deck seems to be working, though.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I sat down to look at the card pool last night and holy poo poo, I have no idea what I'm going to play. I'm fairly confident I'm going to get stomped, though.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Oy Sigma, got any dates or whatever planned for this?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

OP says pairings tomorrow.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Ramos posted:

Pairings tomorrow, 1 week to play (new pairings will go up on the next monday).

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 30, 2015

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Ramos posted:

Pairings tomorrow, 1 week to play (new pairings will go up on the next monday).

never got confirmation on the following people, so let me know if you're in:

cheetah7071
newtestleper
archentron
PJ Omega

I have added you guys in paired against each other (for the most part, one of you has a bye and one of you is paired against a "real" player to give them the chance to play if you're in).

There's a challonge here:
http://challonge.com/goonbrews01

Here's the pairings if you hate clicking links. People in italics may not actually be playing and thus are byes and will be dropped after the first round:
defeatest elitist
odiv

ramos
lancelot

pussy snorkel
elyv

suicidesteve
muon

chamale
Sigma-X

irony be my shield
olothreutes

little munchkin
newtestleper

cheetah7071
archentron

BYE
PJ Omega

Please report here when you're done.

Once the first round is complete I'd like people to post their decklists to the thread so we can get a sense of the meta.

Please use Xmage to play the game unless you run into card support issues:
http://xmage.de/
Use xmage.de as your xmage server as they update more regularly and will be on the latest version compared to woogerworks.

If you run into card support issues for your deck, please use cockatrice instead.
http://www.woogerworks.com/ Use the woogerworks cockatrice server for cockatrice.

In addition to using PMs, e-mails, or whatever the hell you want to share for contact info, consider meeting up in the GOON IRC:

use this cool webclient if you don't know/care about IRC clients
http://cgiirc.synirc.net/

We meet in #mtgoons

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
oh and chamale I'm available pretty much whenever thanks to being one of 40 people laid off on the 20th, so let me know what's good for you!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I am definitely not in, I just posted in the thread. Sorry for the confusion.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sigma-X posted:

suicidesteve
muon

Let's battle or whatever. I'm around on irc a lot.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Lancelot, I'll be around on IRC during evenings from Wednesday forward. If any time particularly suits you, just let me know.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

odiv I will try to be on IRC in the evenings for the rest of the week. Let me know if some other arrangement is better for you.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Nothing until Wednesday at the earliest, so you don't have to show up before then. I'll post again when I figure out my schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

odiv posted:

Nothing until Wednesday at the earliest, so you don't have to show up before then. I'll post again when I figure out my schedule.

No problem, I'm not super available today or tomorrow anyway.

• Locked thread