Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I don't think we've heard from Odiv and Defeatist Elitist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, I'm waiting in the channel for him. We're both in the west though so it could be a few more hours.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
waiting on odiv and defeatest and then we're good with all the drops.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I barely got there, 2-1.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

odiv posted:

I barely got there, 2-1.

Confirming. Made a couple big mistakes, some that didn't end up mattering, a couple that did.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Round 2:

chamale vs little munchkin
ramos vs odiv
elvy vs suicidesteve
pussy snorkel vs muon
defeatest elite vs olothreutes
Sigma-X vs IBMS

Please post your decklists in the thread!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Cascade with no maindeck hate. In hindsight the trygon predators should be main over the FTKs and I should have Dacks main too.

4 Sol Ring
2 Island
3 Forest
1 Mountain
2 Ghost Quarter
4 Vivid Grove
2 Vivid Crag
2 Vivid Creek

4 Assault // Battery
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
4 Coiling Oracle
4 Shardless Agent
3 True Name Nemesis
4 Bloodbraid Elf
4 Flametongue Kavu
2 Intet, the Dreamer
3 Wurmcoil Engine
4 Maelstrom Wanderer

SB:
3 Acidic Slime
2 Dack Fayden
2 Fire // Ice
3 Hull Breach
3 Rough // Tumble
2 Trygon Predator

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Clamps and Anti-Clamps. In retrospect the Wurmcoil Engine should have been maindeck, and the Aura Shards should have been Trygon Predators.

4 Forest
3 Island
1 Mountain
4 Mirrodin's Core
4 Reflecting Pool
4 Vivid Grove

4 Tukatongue Thallid
4 Myr Retriever
4 Eternal Witness
4 Reclamation Sage
4 True-Name Nemesis

4 Nature's Claim
4 Skullclamp
4 Sol Ring
4 Dack Fayden
4 Fabricate

Sideboard:
1 Ancient Den
4 Arcane Denial
4 Aura Shards
1 Great Furnace
4 Wrath of God
1 Wurmcoil Engine

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
Deck: Fog

//Main
4 Fog
4 Arachnogenesis
4 Respite
4 Eternal Witness
4 Howling Mine
1 Exploration
4 Pollen Lullaby
4 Graypelt Refuge
11 Forest
2 Skullwinder
4 Seaside Citadel
4 Thornwood Falls
2 Selesnya Guildgate
4 Skyscribing
3 Primal Command
1 Hornet Queen

//Sideboard
4 Nature's Claim
4 Wrath of God
4 Scavenging Ooze
2 Hornet Queen
1 Primal Command

Display deck statistics

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Deck: W/U Artifacts

//Lands
4 Ancient Den
7 Island
7 Plains
4 Seat of the Synod

//Spells
3 Council's Judgment
4 Cranial Plating
3 Preordain
4 Sol Ring
2 Swords to Plowshares
3 Thirst for Knowledge
2 Unexpectedly Absent

//Creatures
4 Lodestone Golem
3 Master of Etherium
4 Myr Enforcer
4 True-Name Nemesis
2 Wurmcoil Engine

//Sideboard
3 Aura of Silence
3 Containment Priest
1 Swords to Plowshares
2 Oblivion Ring
2 Path to Exile
2 Return to Dust
2 Wash Out

I think the wash outs in the board are probably unnecessary, but I was afraid of being run over by the elf deck or something like that. I'm not sure if the Swords in the board should be another council's judgment to kill TNNs and Dacks or not, and I think the unexpectedly absent might not be worth it even as a 2 mana griptide. I have zero idea how I don't just lose to vandalblast.

E: Actually, looking at the decks above me I think wash out might have some game. Naming green makes them all very sad.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 7, 2015

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Deck: Reanimator

//Main
4 Sol Ring
3 Dragon Breath
4 Reanimate
2 Diabolic Servitude
4 Faithless Looting
2 Windfall
4 Bladewing the Risen
3 Bogardan Hellkite
3 Scourge of the Throne
3 Magister of Worth
4 Crumbling Necropolis
2 Terramorphic Expanse
5 Swamp
5 Mountain
4 Island
2 Dack Fayden
4 Vandalblast
2 Preordain

//Sideboard
4 Thraximundar
4 Wurmcoil Engine
3 Overseer of the Damned
1 Magister of Worth
3 Lightning Greaves

Surprisingly enough, green has poo poo all for a top end. There was like one worthwhile card and it got pushed out.

Also, odiv, what times are you available? I can only play on Cockatrice due to cards missing.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

lol

1 Forest
3 Island
2 Mountain
1 Plains
1 Swamp
4 Azorius Signet
4 Boros Signet
3 Dack Fayden
4 Dimir Signet
4 Door to Nothingness
3 Golgari Signet
4 Gruul Signet
4 Izzet Signet
3 Orzhov Signet
4 Rakdos Signet
3 Selesnya Signet
4 Simic Signet
4 Sol Ring
4 Thirst for Knowledge
Sideboard:

4 Broodstar
4 Darksteel Citadel
3 Lodestone Golem
4 Wurmcoil Engine

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

lol

4 Door to Nothingness

The best deck.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

I like how varied our meta is. I'll post mine when I get home.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Deck: R/U artifacts

//Main
2 Cranial Plating
4 Sol Ring
4 Skullclamp
4 Goblin Welder
3 Junk Diver
2 Myr Battlesphere
4 Myr Retriever
4 Myr Sire
1 Steel Hellkite
2 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Arcane Denial
1 Thirst for Knowledge
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Great Furnace
2 Island
1 Kher Keep
2 Mountain
4 Seat of the Synod
2 Swiftwater Cliffs
2 Dack Fayden
4 Faithless Looting
3 Vandalblast

//Sideboard
2 Arcane Denial
1 Vandalblast
3 Lash Out
2 Relic of Progenitus
1 Goblin Sharpshooter
4 Lodestone Golem
1 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
1 Pongify

Display deck statistics

Basically I'm hoping that I correctly identified Vandalblast as the best card in the format and that nobody else did.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

little munchkin posted:

Basically I'm hoping that I correctly identified Vandalblast as the best card in the format and that nobody else did.

Four main board. :smug:

In all honesty, I'd say Sol Ring is the best card in the format because you need it for that overloaded Vandalblast and to do your own broken stuff as well as it being often priority number one to kill. Also, everyone has 4 Sol Rings so far.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Ramos posted:

Also, odiv, what times are you available? I can only play on Cockatrice due to cards missing.

I'm free after about 8pm pacific weekdays, so if you want to play earlier, we'll have to wait until the weekend. I'll download Cockatrice tonight and see if I can figure it out.

I'll post my deck this evening too, but it's Boros Robots. I had a deck similar to little munchkin's, but then I panicked because I had poo poo for removal and traded blue out for white. I lost Dack in the trade, so maybe it wasn't worth it. I also spent less time looking for synergistic artifact creatures, so I just have some dumb/obvious ones.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

odiv posted:

I'm free after about 8pm pacific weekdays, so if you want to play earlier, we'll have to wait until the weekend. I'll download Cockatrice tonight and see if I can figure it out.

I'll post my deck this evening too, but it's Boros Robots. I had a deck similar to little munchkin's, but then I panicked because I had poo poo for removal and traded blue out for white. I lost Dack in the trade, so maybe it wasn't worth it. I also spent less time looking for synergistic artifact creatures, so I just have some dumb/obvious ones.

It'll probably have to wait until the weekend then since by 8PM Pacific, I have to be asleep. I should be open on Friday after 6:30PM EST, Saturday evening, and Sunday evening.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

Enjoy a deck that almost certainly should contain golgari signets:

Deck: Reanimator Midrange

//Main
4 Reanimate
4 Sol Ring
4 Grisly Salvage
4 Lotleth Troll
4 Satyr Wayfinder
4 Smallpox
1 Stitch Together
4 Dread Return
1 Jarad's Orders
1 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
1 The Mimeoplasm
1 Magister of Worth
1 Angel of Despair
1 Angel of Serenity
1 Scion of Darkness
1 Terastodon
1 Artisan of Kozilek
4 Forest
4 Golgari Rot Farm
3 Reflecting Pool
3 Swamp
4 Vivid Marsh
4 Vivid Grove

//Sideboard
4 Dark Ritual
2 Dread Summons
4 Scavenging Ooze
2 Reclamation Sage
1 Acidic Slime
1 Shriekmaw
1 Bane of Progress

Display deck statistics

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

odiv posted:

That sounds sort of like my deck, but I'm playing W/U robots because I think blue is stronger than red. And by stronger I mean "lets me play TNN." I still mostly fold to vandalblast.

Also Muon's bant turbofog is the only deck so far with no sol rings.

I figure that TNN would be the biggest boogeyman of the format and that I'd run into some reanimator of one flavor or another. I missed the presence of vandalblast as a sweeper and I also underestimated just how annoying Dack is when you have a ton of artifacts in your deck.

Defeatist Elitist posted:

No Reya dawnbringer? Just too hard to cast and you didn't want to go all in on the reanimate plan? Also, I'm in mountain time and I'm free most evenings.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 8, 2015

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

Olothreutes posted:

That sounds sort of like my deck, but I'm playing W/U robots because I think blue is stronger than red. And by stronger I mean "lets me play TNN." I still mostly fold to vandalblast.

Also Muon's bant turbofog is the only deck so far with no sol rings.

I figure that TNN would be the biggest boogeyman of the format and that I'd run into some reanimator of one flavor or another. I missed the presence of vandalblast as a sweeper and I also underestimated just how annoying Dack is when you have a ton of artifacts in your deck.

No Reya dawnbringer? Just too hard to cast and you didn't want to go all in on the reanimate plan? Also, I'm in mountain time and I'm free most evenings.

I had a RUG deck built around cascade + TNN but there were just a bunch of bits of it that rubbed me the wrong way. On the whole it was probably better than the current deck I'm playing, but a little less fun.

True Name was an absolute beast though in all my test games. The card seems completely absurd in this format.

edit: I'm on pacific time, also available most evenings. We've been having stormy weather lately and had a few power outages, but hopefully the worst of it is over.

Defeatist Elitist fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 8, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

little munchkin posted:

Your 3 Vandalblasts are no match for my 4 Dank Faygo. I'm available lots of times this week, I could do 9:00 mountain or later tonight, or you can name some other time.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Chamale posted:

Your 3 Vandalblasts are no match for my 4 Dank Faygo. I'm available lots of times this week, I could do 9:00 mountain or later tonight, or you can name some other time.

sure tonight sounds fine

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Cool, I was trying to figure out how to do golgari reanimator but couldn't figure out a good build and ended up on Grixis instead. I really like this deck, it has a lot of early game and grind potential.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

Ramos posted:

Cool, I was trying to figure out how to do golgari reanimator but couldn't figure out a good build and ended up on Grixis instead. I really like this deck, it has a lot of early game and grind potential.

Manabase feels really sketchy, and there are a few other things I'm still not sure on, but the option to just win with early beaters, or to hard cast instead of reanimate felt worth giving up some of the core engine efficiency.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Guess what my strategy is!

Deck: Snorkel's Brew

//Main
4 Goblin Welder
2 Baleful Strix
2 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Sharuum the Hegemon
1 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Bosh, Iron Golem
1 Filigree Angel
4 Faithless Looting
2 Reanimate
4 Sol Ring
1 Lightning Greaves
4 Dack Fayden
4 Thirst for Knowledge
2 Daretti, Scrap Savant
1 Duplicant
4 Crumbling Necropolis
4 Great Furnace
3 Island
3 Mountain
4 Seat of the Synod
3 Swamp
4 Vault of Whispers

//Sideboard
4 Flusterstorm
4 Nihil Spellbomb
2 Stifle
2 Counterflux
3 Crawlspace

Display deck statistics

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

At the request of Sigma-X, here are the bad decks that I toyed around with running and/or built to have the the AI run to test against various types of interaction. The AI is particularly bad with certain cards, it will often name itself when casting true-name nemesis, and just plain crashes after turn 4 or 5 when piloting the elf deck. As you can see, I am very good at ignoring my thesis.

Elfball
//Lands
14 Forest
6 Mountain

//Creatures
2 Bloodbraid Elf
4 Elvish Archdruid
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Elvish Visionary
2 Ezuri, Renegade Leader
4 Imperious Perfect
2 Joraga Warcaller
2 Lys Alana Huntmaster
2 Priest of Titania
2 Thornweald Archer

//Spells
1 Rolling Thunder
4 Skullclamp
4 Sol Ring
3 Sylvan Library

I tested this with Garruk Wildspeaker in it at first, but he doesn't do enough and I always wished he was Ezuri or a Warcaller. This has zero interaction beyond the singleton rolling thunder and would definitely benefit from some more. It hits real hard though. This is probably the biggest reason I have wash out in the board, because it's just really hard to deal with this many dudes. Probably needs fires of yavimaya too.

W/R Giants
//Lands
13 Mountain
10 Plains

//Creatures
2 Borderland Behemoth
2 Brion Stoutarm
2 Hamletback Goliath
2 Inferno Titan
2 Kalemne's Captain
2 Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas
2 Sunrise Sovereign
4 Stinkdrinker Daredevil
4 Thundercloud Shaman

//Spells
3 Boros Charm
4 Boros Signet
4 Sol Ring
4 Lightning Helix

This deck is super reliant on drawing a daredevil, and is mostly just very bad. Occasionally it is hilarious and just blows you out with massive dudes. Thundercloud shaman is amazing, but I think it's bugged in xmage as it never did any damage with its trigger.

G/B Reanimator the all-in version
//Lands
7 Forest
4 Golgari Guildgate
4 Jungle Hollow
8 Swamp

//Creatures
1 Angel of Despair
1 Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
1 Grave Titan
1 Hornet Queen
4 Lotleth Troll
1 Reya Dawnbringer
3 Satyr Wayfinder
1 Teneb, the Harvester
1 Wurmcoil Engine

//Spells
3 Buried Alive
4 Dread Return
2 Grisly Salvage
1 Living Death
2 Phyrexian Arena
2 Reanimate
4 Sol Ring
2 Stitch Together
2 Victimize

This deck was pretty linear, cast a lotleth troll or buried alive fill your yard and then get huge things. I basically decided I cared nothing for hardcasting most of the monsters so mana is basically not a consideration. It probably needs work because grave titan and reya are almost 100% the correct choice each time, Reya is obvious and the zombies from grave titan let you flash back the dread returns. Hornet queen does the same, but isn't repeatable like the titan. I cut Terastodon from this but he'd be a very good sideboard card.

R/U Artifacts or, Valuetown
//Lands
4 Great Furnace
6 Island
8 Mountain
4 Seat of the Synod

//Creatures
2 Bosh, Iron Golem
2 Feldon of the Third Path
4 Goblin Welder
2 Myr Battlesphere
4 True-name Nemesis
4 Wurmcoil Engine

//Spells
3 Dack Fayden
3 Daretti, Scrap Savant
4 Faithless Looting
4 Izzet Signet
2 Scrap Mastery
4 Sol Ring

This one seems pretty easy, like half the people seem to be on this plan. It's a good plan, but I went with white because of how much removal it brings over red and containment priest is really good in a format with dread return and goblin welder.

I also considered a deck that ran windfall, magus of the wheel, jace's archivist, whirlpool warrior, and just tried to mill everyone out and not lose first. The lack of lab maniac makes this plan really bad.
E: Oh hey, whirlpool warrior doesn't do what I thought it did. Boo.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 8, 2015

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Right, I guess I should post what I had made as well since a couple people were asking during my ramblings in mtgoon.

The kill condition for this deck was to drop Sylvan Safekeeper, Titania, and dump Anger in your graveyard. You would do that via ramping and killing all of your dudes into more gas via skullclamp. I think this definitely could have been a thing if I had more time to work on it, but as is, it kind of petered out too easily. I probably should have just gone for more land fetchers and dropped the number of actual win cons down by a lot.

Deck: Titania Combo

//Main
3 Titania, Protector of Argoth
3 Sylvan Safekeeper
4 Terramorphic Expanse
4 Evolving Wilds
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Wrath of God
2 Sol Ring
4 Skullclamp
4 Faithless Looting
3 Vandalblast
7 Forest
3 Plains
3 Mountain
2 Anger
3 Veteran Explorer
2 Sakura-Tribe Elder
4 Viridian Emissary
2 Solemn Simulacrum

Display deck statistics

This deck exists purely because of Boros Charm and Lightning Helix. I went ahead and tried to put together the best burn deck I could, figuring a lot of people would be busy fumbling over themselves trying to do something cheat-y. However, upon review, I realized everyone and their grandma would probably be running robots and this deck would just fall over against that.

Deck: R/W Aggro

//Main
4 Goblin Cadets
2 Mother of Runes
4 Skullclamp
4 Cerodon Yearling
3 Torch Fiend
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Helix
3 Sulfuric Vortex
2 Reckless Charge
2 Fiery Confluence
4 Terramorphic Expanse
9 Mountain
7 Plains
3 Hissing Iguanar
3 Boros Swiftblade
2 Duergar Hedge-Mage

//Sideboard
2 Hallowed Spiritkeeper
2 Goblin Bombardment
2 Act of Aggression
2 Containment Priest
4 Vandalblast
3 Epochrasite

Display deck statistics

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I beat Defeatist Elitist 2-1 in a harrowing series of games, rife with client issues. That was some of the best magic I've played. I was sweating it basically every turn.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

Olothreutes posted:

I beat Defeatist Elitist 2-1 in a harrowing series of games, rife with client issues. That was some of the best magic I've played. I was sweating it basically every turn.

Crazy crazy games on both ends. Highlights include flipping dread return and bane of progress with the same wayfinder, and hardcasting soooo many things. Last game involved a turn 2 Lodestone Golem, a magister of worth killing two True Name nemesises at once in the nick of time, and some of the clutchest paths, and swords you can imagine.

Defeatist Elitist fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 8, 2015

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Crazy crazy games on both ends. Highlights include flipping dread return and bane of progress with the same wayfinder, and hardcasting soooo many things. Last game involved a turn 2 Lodestone Golem, a magister of worth killing two True Name nemesises at once in the nick of time, and some of the clutchest paths, and swords you can imagine.

Don't forget how I lost game one after getting to 69 life.

Also game three was the thirstiest game ever, so much knowledge was thirsted for.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 8, 2015

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

Olothreutes posted:

Don't forget how I lost game one after getting to 69 life.

Lotleth troll is a hell of a card.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Little Munchkin beat me 2-1 because Goblin Welder is awesome.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Boros Robots
3 Cranial Plating
4 Sol Ring
4 Lightning Greaves
4 Mountain
4 Boros Signet
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Arcbound Crusher
4 Plains
4 Ancient Den
2 Daretti, Scrap Savant
4 Wurmcoil Engine
4 Faithless Looting
4 Goblin Welder
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Great Furnace
3 Path to Exile
SB: 2 Whipflare
SB: 2 Council's Judgment
SB: 2 Wrath of God
SB: 2 Ghostly Prison
SB: 2 Oblivion Ring
SB: 4 Vandalblast
SB: 1 Tormod's Crypt

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Chamale posted:

Little Munchkin beat me 2-1 because Goblin Welder is awesome.

Game 1: Chamale goes off with skullclamp pretty much right away. He draws into tons of artifact hate and True-Names. I get a welder in play and a Steel Hellkite in my yard to take out his True-Names + Dack Fayden, but it just dies repeatedly and never gets an attack in.

Game 2: He gets his skullclamp value train going again, but I welder out Sphinx of the Steel Winds. The game pretty much just ends there because nothing in his deck can touch it. Not much he could do here.

Game 3: I draw 3 Welders plus Dack and his spot removal just can't keep up.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Guess what my strategy is!

When are you available for me to lose to Bosh?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

muon posted:

When are you available for me to lose to Bosh?

Anytime weekdays after 6-7pm EST. I'm available now if you are!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
IBMS let me know when you're down to clown, I'm pretty free.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I did not have enough time to refine this idea at all. I figure Dack should at least steal me some games.

8 Mountain
1 Myr Retriever
4 Seat of the Synod
4 Great Furnace
1 Myr Battlesphere
4 Silver Myr
4 Iron Myr
3 Daretti, Scrap Savant
1 Wurmcoil Engine
4 Dack Fayden
4 Goblin Welder
4 Faithless Looting
5 Island
2 Duplicant
1 Steel Hellkite
2 Sundering Titan
4 Sol Ring
4 Skullclamp
SB: 1 Master Transmuter
SB: 1 Bosh, Iron Golem
SB: 4 Flusterstorm
SB: 2 Arcane Denial
SB: 3 Thirst for Knowledge
SB: 4 Vandalblast

I'm fairly free in the evenings now, I'll hang out on IRC when I'm available.

Ramos posted:

In all honesty, I'd say Sol Ring is the best card in the format because you need it for that overloaded Vandalblast and to do your own broken stuff as well as it being often priority number one to kill. Also, everyone has 4 Sol Rings so far.
Sol Ring is on par with the power 8. I've sometimes suspected it might be better than moxen in a less combo orientated format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Sol Ring is on par with the power 8. I've sometimes suspected it might be better than moxen in a less combo orientated format.

Someone polled a bunch of pros what the best first pick for a rotisserie draft of all of Magic would be. Sol Ring was first, followed by Black Lotus and Ancestral Recall.

• Locked thread