Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Trilin posted:

My motivation to grind is literally the app.

Yep.

Most of the grind isn't too bad, but getting the Millennium Falcon and the Tow Cable...:negative:

So far I've been using the Survivalist trait in the companion app since having Behemoth on all my infantry makes them pretty beastly, but I'm curious what other people are using, and also what bonus the Sharpshooter trait gives.

My only complaint with the app, besides sucking my battery dry, is that often it just comes down to luck of the draw on many of the harder missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, the only one I was really at all disappointed with is Ion Shot (which naturally was the first one I bought). The damage increase seems really insignificant. I still use it against the AT-AT because every bit counts, but in everyday use against AT-STs and turrets it barely seems to make a dent.

Ion shot should 100% be in one of your hands when you play on sullust. It just tears the turbo-lasers apart, and moves it from "gently caress someone who took one of these powerups kill the turbolasers" to free points. Downside is they respawn in like 30 seconds or something dumb, and hunting charges is a bit annoying, but it is really satisfying to have the burst rifle and kill 2 turbolaser fuckers in 1 card charge. Also those things do a crazy amount of damage to everything, so killing them is the difference between maybe winning as imperials and losing both walkers in phase 2.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

ZypherIM posted:

Ion shot should 100% be in one of your hands when you play on sullust. It just tears the turbo-lasers apart, and moves it from "gently caress someone who took one of these powerups kill the turbolasers" to free points. Downside is they respawn in like 30 seconds or something dumb, and hunting charges is a bit annoying, but it is really satisfying to have the burst rifle and kill 2 turbolaser fuckers in 1 card charge. Also those things do a crazy amount of damage to everything, so killing them is the difference between maybe winning as imperials and losing both walkers in phase 2.

Yeah, I've also found Ion Shot to be incredibly useful in removing pesky turrets. It's especially useful in Hoth WA in the final stage, when the Imperials have good coverage of the forward trenches and start merking everyone with the turrets they overrun.

Plus if you get behind an AT-ST with a good blaster and Ion Shots you can to a lot of damage right quick.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Question: In Fighter Squadron, do the cool down power-ups stack?

This morning I grabbed 3 in one life, but before I had the chance to test if they stack, I got blown the gently caress away by Slave1. Just curious if anyone knows for sure.

jimtech
Nov 25, 2005
Hail to the king baby...

What would be a good joystick to use for the Fighter Squadron matches? I have a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas (connected to my desktop) but am not able to change the mappings in the game. Is there a different one that actually has configuration software?

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
It's hard to be mad at turbolasers because they are cool and named turbolasers, but god drat they can be some bullshit on Sullust.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Jesus Christ the balance issues. It's like they don't even play their own games.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
What's everyone using as their trait? I've got about 17k space bucks, so I'm ready to get a trait. I like the 3rd level of scout, so I'm leaning towards that.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Remote User posted:

What's everyone using as their trait? I've got about 17k space bucks, so I'm ready to get a trait. I like the 3rd level of scout, so I'm leaning towards that.

I always run scout, mostly because I'm always running. Bounty hunter is pretty cool, but it is a bit too random for my liking, at least till you get it to level 3. Not sure about the rest, but bodyguard does seem pretty useful considering the amount of grenade spam.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Remote User posted:

Unless you are really good at getting kill streaks fast and not dying, don't count on having levels 2 or 3 of your trait in any given game. Pick your choice based around the level 1 ability.

That said, I am running Scout and refuse to change to anything else. The reliance on radar for intel is so powerful that to deny that intel for others when they assume it is otherwise there is even more powerful. My playstyle is very much "always take the long way around to get the flank" however, so if that isn't how you roll I would recommend one of the other two.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I posted some words about traits earlier. I'm guessing you don't have access to bounty hunter yet, and just bodyguard, survivalist, and scout. Look at what you get for level 1 mainly, since you get that all the time. To rank up you need a few kills without dying (is it 2 or 3?), and when you die it ranks down. Bodyguard is 30% explosive resist which is pretty good since there are 2 damage types (blaster/explosive), and survivalist is a pretty noticeable boost to your regen time. By that I mean it kicks in faster, and heals quicker. Scout is really great because the rank 1 is the main thing that you want out of the trait, because hopefully if you're firing at someone you're killing them so no show on radar for that isn't important.

Scout is really awesome on endor, and pretty good on sullest/tatooine, but not really useful on hoth. In small modes scout is awesome, since the radar is much less noisy so people are more likely to notice.

Bodyguard is good if you're playing in more interior areas where grenade spam is likely to go, or if someone on their team likes to constantly homing missile you.

Survivalist is good to keep going in an area. What I mean is if you kill someone and are hurt, you're more likely to be able to quickly heal to full than otherwise, and at level 3 the 50 health should give you a nice boost to scamper away.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I think, seeing as he doesn't have any traits yet, that he is under the mistaken impression that increasing trait levels is done by purchasing them with credits, like it is with upgrading Star Cards.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Yeah, what trait you want first is really dependent on what modes you mostly play. If you mainly play small stuff go for Scout. If you play mostly the larger scale stuff go for Bodyguard and then Bounty Hunter. I use Scout and it's nice to just run around and surprise people. Getting the first few kills in something like Blast usually isn't problem once you've seen the maps and know where people are coming from.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I bought survivalist first :( it was a bad call

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
The wow factor of Walker Assault is starting to wear off, and I'm finding I like Supremacy much more. I've been rotating between that and Droid Run, which I find pretty fun. It's a neat take on domination.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Only 9 more AT-ATs to tow cable till I can get that air speeder power-up...

do these things apply to the actual game?

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Chomp8645 posted:

I think, seeing as he doesn't have any traits yet, that he is under the mistaken impression that increasing trait levels is done by purchasing them with credits, like it is with upgrading Star Cards.

This was indeed the case. I took Scout for now. Thanks for the replies.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
It never grabbed me during the beta, but I'm so in love with Drop Pod Assault right now. Such a great game mode, if you aren't playing the small map stuff then dudes really give them a chance.

Trait talk: worth remembering your equipped trait will show up in the Base Command game. I love that thing, but held off while I unlocked some more cards. Just had a couple of sieges and my survivalist trait showed up there, giving all my infantry a behemoth trait which boosts them over times. It's pretty great. Also, thermal detonators work the same as rhe orbital barrage star card, but do more damage. :psyduck: Someone else mentioned choosing Han so they could unlock him in Base Command, but it looks like Heroes and Villains also counts towards those unlocks.

EA said this game is the biggest launch of a Star Wars game ever, and the biggest digital launch in EA's history. That should shut up anyone who thinks this game isn't selling well, or that EA are unhappy with it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Parkingtigers posted:

Also, thermal detonators work the same as rhe orbital barrage star card, but do more damage. :psyduck:

Close but no. Detonators hit every unit in a coordinate. The orbital bombardment his every unit in all four coordinates in a zone.

superjx
Apr 26, 2005

Official Somethingawful.com forums account of Scott Walker (Paid for by the Wisconsin State Government)
I've been having a lot of success with impact grenades, barrage, scan pulse and the DL-44. It's a short range build, but it really excels in corridors. Also, I found an extra utility for scan pulse. More people seem to be using the flash grenade lately, but if you use a scan pulse while blinded, the enemy is still outlined in red and you can shoot them just fine.

I just added a bunch of people on the list from the op as friends, so looking forward to playing with a non-pubbie partner for a change.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

superjx posted:

if you use a scan pulse while blinded, the enemy is still outlined in red and you can shoot them just fine.

:eyepop:

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
If you use the shock blaster and focus fire it turns into a ohk rail gun.

Disappointed in the bow caster.

Drop zone sure is fun. Droid run would be too if the scoring was sensible and gave the win to overall control if no one got the lock down victory rather than whoever had the most at the end.

The thing about the small maps/modes is that there aren't really any of the wonky balance issues you get on the big game types. The arsenal is pretty reasonably balanced I feel. Obviously it trends a little more to the close in guns but it's mostly pretty tight

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The amount of geometry I keep getting stuck on is infuriating. And 14 degree hills I can't get up.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

Geektox posted:

I'm signed up on the spreadsheet but is there a PS4 goon community for this game?

PS4 looks to be the biggest community overall, some numbers from the last thread:

Cardboard Box A posted:

BFront Currently online players

PC: 38,565 (24h peak: 49,871)

XBOXONE: 110,152 (24h peak: 110,817)

PS4: 174,847 (24h peak: 187,286)

BF4 Currently online players

PC
Peak 24h

PS3
Peak 24h

XBOX360
Peak 24h

XBOXONE
Peak 24h

PS4
Peak 24h

But yea, I haven't linked up with any goons to play yet (though I just added them all last night). Hit me up, PSN: SirAnkie

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The amount of geometry I keep getting stuck on is infuriating. And 14 degree hills I can't get up.

Came to this game straight from Metal Gear V

Stuck on rocks again :negative:

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
What's the deal with the DirecTV dishes on Hoth? Are they supposed to do more damage than the other turrets there or something? I can't kill anyone with them with their one shot and then cooldown. Are they supposed to charge or something? I hit a guy right on and got hit markers and he didnt die.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

The dishes can 1-shot people but has to be right on. The main point of them is anti-vehicle. If you hit the at-at in the weak underbelly you'll do around 5% of their health and get 75 points. at-st takes quite a bit of damage from them as well.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
e: above post is everything I said but 10 seconds faster

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Full Metal Jackass posted:

What's the deal with the DirecTV dishes on Hoth? Are they supposed to do more damage than the other turrets there or something? I can't kill anyone with them with their one shot and then cooldown. Are they supposed to charge or something? I hit a guy right on and got hit markers and he didnt die.

They're really for vehicles. They do like a quarter of an ATST's health and 5% of an ATAT's per shot. They also one shot fighters if anyone is dumb enough to try strafe you from a super low angle

Rob Haldorson
Aug 16, 2014

I like Francis, but I don't get why people assume that when a company begins development on a sequel, they don't necessarily halt all development on other projects. I'm pretty sure EA has the resources to continue development on both...

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

So what determines when someone can spawn in as a hero bodyguard? I swear that I only have a couple people actually do it whenever I am the emperor

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Microwaves Mom posted:

do these things apply to the actual game?

I don't think so, if I'm reading you correctly.

The things I do in the base game unlock things in the companion app. The only thing I get in the base game as a reward for playing the companion app is credits.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

So what determines when someone can spawn in as a hero bodyguard? I swear that I only have a couple people actually do it whenever I am the emperor

It shows up when you go to the spawn menu, most people that die want to just get back into the action as fast as possible so they probably miss that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It shows up when you go to the spawn menu, most people that die want to just get back into the action as fast as possible so they probably miss that.

That is what I thought, I guess people just hate success.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
You can only have 2 I think.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Just hit 25! Got that pistol of doom now. Can't wait to give it a shot.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You can only have two, although once they're dead then others can replace them.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I think there is some sort of cooldown before the can show up again as well. If anyone knows a list of hidden cooldowns on stuff that'd be really interesting to see. Stuff like bounty hunter reset and stuff.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Battlefront broke Benjamin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shuffleboard Shootout
Dec 26, 2006

Tsoukawhat?

What a loving goon. Hit me up on ps4, CrispusAttacks

Should be on quite a bit tonight

• Locked thread