Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Game is great. Haters gonna hate. :slick:

Siets fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Full Metal Jackass posted:

I keep reading recommendations for the DLT-19, but I can't kill poo poo with it. So far I do the best with the A280C. What's everyone's goto?

Work on your accuracy. The DLT-19 and the RT-97C are very good LMGs both in their own respects. Try shooting at a wall at medium-to-short range for a full clip to observe the recoil model, work on managing that, and then give it another go.

If that fails, go get all of the single player solo battle achievements. Lord knows that improved my gunplay immensely at the expense of my own sanity. :smithicide:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Remote User posted:

What's everyone using as their trait? I've got about 17k space bucks, so I'm ready to get a trait. I like the 3rd level of scout, so I'm leaning towards that.

Unless you are really good at getting kill streaks fast and not dying, don't count on having levels 2 or 3 of your trait in any given game. Pick your choice based around the level 1 ability.

That said, I am running Scout and refuse to change to anything else. The reliance on radar for intel is so powerful that to deny that intel for others when they assume it is otherwise there is even more powerful. My playstyle is very much "always take the long way around to get the flank" however, so if that isn't how you roll I would recommend one of the other two.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It seems like the biggest skill that most people need to learn when playing Battlefront is how to slowly but consistently push into a point.

The thing about this game is that it doesn't matter how MLG PRO you are, you simply cannot put out the dps needed to take on several people at one time in an open firefight. So you have to be cautious but firm in your advance, and make sure you work on just a couple people at a time, max.

You have to be aggressive, but cautiously so.

I've noticed this as well. It's all about slowly and progressively securing space first, followed by laying down oppressive covering fire at long distance targets to slow their advance. Rushing more often then not just leads to death by grenades.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

alarumklok posted:

today i am thankful for the bodyguard trait because nades are loving stupid

Yeah I'm considering dumping my Scout trait for Bodyguard as well, as grenades are just that bad right now. They plague every game and make taking uplinks impossible. My main concern is that the effect is minimal and that I'm still going to die to the 8~10 grenades that come flying down the hallway anyways.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Summit, you regularly play and post in the Project 1999 Everquest thread. Yet you are complaining about the comically minor progression system in this game? I have everything unlocked and have only played this game for a week. Chill out man. The walls of text you are writing are completely out of place here.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
For me, I don't need much map variety. Maps are just a backdrop for the real fun which is the gunplay, physics, heroes, ships, vehicles, etc. People don't complain that basketball is boring and not worth the price of admission because there is only one kind of basketball court. v:shobon:v

If you liked the gameplay you should definitely get it and have some fun playing one of the most atmospheric Star Wars games ever released. If on the other hand you are an arms-crossed angry nerd who needs to compute dollars per feature = fun via a big Excel spreadsheet that checks all the checkboxes probably avoid it I guess?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0461mM6yqE

A good, stats-based discussion on the gunplay mechanics in Battlefront and whether or not there is a skill-gap. (Hint: there is! Everyone who argues this game is simple is a dumbass that hasn't done their research.)

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I agree with LevelCap. The SE-14C is the best close quarters infantry combat gun bar none. I've been playing a ton of MLG Mountain Dew Mode (otherwise known as Blast) with a friend and have been utterly dominating almost every game with massive KDRs.

Loadout is:

Impact Grenade / Scan Pulse / Jump Pack / Scout Trait // SE-14C

Once you master impact grenade throws you basically become an infantry combat god. If you don't have the angle just jump pack and then impact grenade mid air for a maximum :pcgaming: display. Lead absolutely every engagement you can with an impact grenade to ensure a health advantage. Then if you land even just a few of the bolts from your SE-14C you will score the kill.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

grr, this game is disappointing. they left out the bread and butter slam dunk game mode that is conquest, and the gunplay is sloppy as gently caress, feels like i'm playing perfect dark zero. i'm a big fan of battlefront 2 and the recent battlefields, thought I couldn't go wrong buying this. i was wrong, i went wrong.

You think the "gunplay is sloppy" in this (what does that even mean?) and you hold up Battlefront 2 as an example of a good game in contrast? I am struggling to understand your thinking.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Skoll posted:

I think that the blaster pistols need to be seriously rebalanced. It's pretty telling when you see the majority of both teams running DH-17s, SE-14Cs, and DL-44s on EVERY game mode and mainly just the newer players running the E-11 or DLT-19s, etc.

You see the rare jawa shotgun here and there, but hit detection with that thing, at least for me, is always spotty as gently caress.

I know everyone thinks the DL-44 is OP (and I won't disagree, it is pretty drat good.) It's kind of amazing though just how close the DH-17 comes to it though in terms of time to kill and overall performance.

http://symthic.com/battlefront-multi-comparison?w1=DH-17&w2=DL-44&w3=None&w4=None&w5=None

Not to mention the DH-17 is way, way, way more accurate when you look at the recoil model and accuracy plots.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ :pcgaming::hf::pcgaming:

Cat Machine posted:

TTK be damned, killing people with the DL-44 straight up just feels cool, like you're a space cowboy or something

:agreed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=255wuAJrnMs

(at around 3:15)

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Parkingtigers posted:

I like this game. Do not understand why it generates so much boiled piss from the internet. But I really like this game.

There's a large number of people for whom $60 is too much for them to justify due to personal finances. I mean yeah, if you live off ramen and/or are buried in student loans or whatever, you should probably not be buying $60 video games.

There's also a large number of video game industry justice warriors that absolutely hate EA and everything they stand for, regardless of what the end product game ends up being. See: Utnayan's unending tirade from several pages back.

These are both perfectly fine opinions to have. The problem is when you start dishonestly shouting in comment threads that "game is bad IN ALL ASPECTS" when really the root issue you have is completely unrelated to the actual gameplay itself you are critiquing instead so as to save face.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Prawned posted:

Everyone who thinks Battlefront is a bad game either hates EA or is a poor!

This is correct. I am glad you know how to read. :)

e: What Nasgate said.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm with you on every single one of those suggestions Summit. Great suggestions. As someone else put it, we are basically one simple balance patch away having a drat Solid Vidya Game, which *knocks on wood* may actually come attached with Jakku DLC tomorrow.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
According to posts in the Star Wars Brown Sea (official forums) people are saying that grenades are massively nerfed. :woop:

I'm at work for the next 8 hours, but here's hoping they are right and I won't have to deal with that bullshit when I get home today.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
There are people on the official forums raging that grenades, barrage, and bowcaster were nerfed unnecessarily.

I... What? :negative:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

tadashi posted:

SWG was awesome and anyone that thinks otherwise can go to hell. It was horribly bugged and imbalanced making it the perfect goon game

So my impression from reading the thread is that this is a game you can jump into pretty quickly as long as you basically understand how an FPS arena-style game works? Do the guns you acquire as you level up make a big difference? I think CoD Black Ops 2 was the last time I played online and it was amazing how you weren't really playing the same game as everyone else until you got the right guns unlocked. I mean all I ever want to do in Star Wars is fly things but I guess that's not going to be possible at every given moment.

The really nice things about gun progression in this game are:

A.) there aren't 10 billion different guns to unlock, and...
B.) once you have the gun, that's it- you don't have to then unlock a bunch of stupid attachments just to make it good/usable.

Also good news everyone! :eng101: If all you want to do is fly stuff, you can fly all day every day in Fighter Squadron mode.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Casimir Radon posted:

Nobody has called me the "n-word" yet. Which is nice because I was sure that was just a certainty in multiplayer games these days.

I have seen this several times. Each time I say "reported" and actually report them for verbal abuse in Origin. Then I watch them have an absolute meltdown over it as they chest beat and proclaim how cool and edgy they are and how I'm just some nerdy liberal SJW loser. It's a good time. :shobon:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well... If your like me and on imperials... You skip the flight tokens because "gently caress me if I feel like dueling against an A-Wing right now." :v:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
A Wings feel just a slight touch slower at turning than I remember. Other than that, they seem to be the same old bullshit. :suicide:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I actually think the problem with AT ATs is the prevalence of the ground turrets on most maps. Not only are there lots of them, many have line of sight to the AT ATs from far enough back where the imperials can't realistically destroy them.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Chomp8645 posted:

lol @ at the "clifftop grazer" dish turret on phase 1 on Tatooine.

Seriously I abuse this every time and it's hilarious. Also every friend I show it to, their immediate reaction is basically :aaaaa:

Also on Hoth, during phase 2 Y Wings you can use basically every satellite dish turret from phase 3 to hit the AT ATs from super far away. If even just yourself and a friend make a committed effort to abuse turrets on either of these maps, you basically can't lose as rebels. I sometimes even dare the imperials to kill me in chat with "LOL TURRETS LOL" right before a Y Wing assault and they still can't deal with it.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

teh_Broseph posted:

The e11 is my spirit gun, I can't help but keep goin back to it.

This. The E-11 is so sooo great in medium range engagements. Laser accuracy, high damage, and decent fire rate? Sign me up.

Jakku is actually a playground for the E-11. Just about everything happens at that medium range sweet spot on that map.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The problem with esoteric skins like royal guardsman is that in a month or two you will have everybody running around looking like royal guardsmen.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Of all the blasters I think I actually like the full auto heavy blaster that wasn't in the beta the most. It's pretty accurate at long range but still can hold its own up close unlike the t-21b

Regular T-21 is a 2-shot kill just like the DL-44 up to a range of 10 meters. From there it becomes a 3-shot kill at any range you can hit with. Remains quite accurate at all ranges with minimal recoil.

DL-44 remains 2-shot kill up to about 23 meters, where then the damage steadily falls off to the point where it becomes a 6-shot kill upwards of 50 meters. Way less accurate than the T-21, but does have a bit of an edge on it in terms of rounds per minute.

Basically if you want the murder power of the DL-44 at medium and long ranges, you really can't beat the T-21.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Is there any advantage of the T-21b over the regular T-21? I used the 21b to complete a challenge, but didn't try them both out together.

So yeah, I had the T-21B "targeting rifle" challenge last night as well and did some investigation prior to see what I was getting myself into. The T-21B is really... bad. :(

Things T-21 regular does better that make a big difference:

+Overheats after 12 shots (compared to T-21B's 7 shot overheat)
+Is a 2-shot kill inside of 10 meters (compared to T-21B's always a 3-shot kill)
+Can hold down LMB to autofire (T-21B cannot do this)

Things the T-21B does better:
+Has less recoil overall and thus will be more accurate to shoot with at range (-but the recoil on the T-21 isn't that bad if you look at the accuracy plot so this isn't really that much of an advantage)

For me, autofire allows for more fluid compensation of the motion during firefights. When I am frantically clicking, I find that it screws with my accuracy. The T-21B overheats so drat quickly as well that it really punishes you for missing even a few of your shots.

So yeah, just remember: the "B" stands for "Bad"

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Badgers posted:

Got 99 charges and a glitch aint one

Oh wait :smith:

RIP 100% uptime on scan pulse. You will be missed. :smith:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

JollyPubJerk posted:

The amount of rage this game I enjoyed playing is making among the hopelessly insatiably nerd crowd is beginning to become the best part about this game.

There was a dude in one of my games that apparently bought the game just so that he could join servers and poo poo on the game in All Chat during live games. He wasn't even playing. He would literally just sit at spawn and hurl insults at EA and how the game was bone dry on content, etc. He did this for multiple rounds until I trolled him back hard enough that he left for what I presume was another server.

Was probably Prawned or Snatch Duster. :laugh:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQVpUuE86f8

:stare:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The killstreak mechanic on traits is obnoxious and plays against the design philosophy for some of the more popular modes like Walker Assault, Supremacy, and Turning Point. It turns you into the KDR-obsessed Mountain Dew guzzling teenage AWP sniper who hangs back all game so that you can get the kills you need to turn on the killstreak bonus. Rather than... you know... playing the objective regardless of the risk of dying?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Laserface posted:

It makes me want a new Battlefield game. Its fun but doesnt have the depth I want.

Please describe this "depth" in detail.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ChickenWing posted:

The game is shallow. There's a significant lack of nuance to it.

This is good in some cases, but coming straight from Battlefield 4 it's a bit of a culture shock.

Again, in what specific ways is it shallow? In what specific ways does it lack nuance?

I have a strong suspicion that people are attributing the Star Wars arcade image and feel that imply "shallowness for kids" to actual gameplay mechanics. That would be a mistake.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
We can go back and forth on this all day. The reality is I don't think you guys understand what you are saying when you accuse the game of a lack of depth. This is evidenced by the fact that you just say "it doesn't have depth" and seem completely incapable of describing what you are saying.

What makes a shooter "deep" versus "not deep"? Genuinely curious.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

No gun customization, small rotation of maps for each game mode, almost exclusively multiplayer, small variety of vehicles, whatever else you want to put here. It's not like this is a contentious issue for everyone else; here's the CFO of EA explicitly stating the game doesnt have as much depth as some people might've wanted.

This sounds more like lack of breadth of content as opposed to a lack of gameplay depth. The former criticism is accurate and not something I take issue with.

Also color me not-surprised that a CFO has no loving clue what he is talking about when he misuses the term depth in a throwaway quote.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ChickenWing posted:

Depth is sorta a factor of breadth though. If you don't have a bunch of stuff that can do a bunch of different things then there's no opportunity for play and counterplay (and therefore depth).

Yeah this is fair. However, I don't think adding gun attachments makes it any better though. That's just another layer of exp bars and progression you have to go through to make the gun you just unlocked optimal.

The guns in Battlefront are pretty cool and highly distinct. The CA-87 plays nothing like the DLT-19. The SE-14C plays quite differently from the EE-3, despite both being burst weapons. The T-21 and T-21B despite being siblings, play really differently when comparing their zooms, heating profiles, and recoil models. Even comparing the CA-87 shotgun and the DL-44, despite both being short range "I kill you right now" weapons, they still make you play in completely different playstyles and make you prefer different star cards depending on which one you go with. For example, if I'm rocking the CA-87, I will take Focus Fire every time and take my opponents by complete surprise.

Gating all of those guns behind unlocks just lets you muddy the waters by say: trying to turn the DL-44 into a medium range sniper through recoil attachments, or the RT-97C into a "strictly better" DLT-19 through muzzle climb attachments. This adds a ton of extra balancing work for DICE, while simultaneously making each gun less distinct and thus harder for the player to tactically predict and manage engagements since you can't easily visually read enemy attachments and know what you are going up against.

Gun attachments blow.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Dvsilverwing posted:

So, I can't be the only one that thinks they missed out on a big opportunity for character customization on both sides, right? I mean, look at all the models in Battlefront 2, there's a lot more they could have done in my opinion.

Well, yes and no. Just look at how up in arms people are over the helmetless stormtroopers fiasco. :v:

By limiting customization, you retain more control over the look and feel of the battlefield. Hoth in-game would not feel like Hoth in the movies if everyone had the option to run around as the bright red imperial royal guard for instance. Things like jump/ARC/swamp/whatever-troopers are all expanded universe inventions that weren't in the feature films and in many cases feel like bad fanfiction. For me personally, these things were jarring in the old Battlefront 2 and detracted from the experience.

All that said... yeah, there's still WAY more they could do for customization in terms of the little things. More unique heads. More alien races. The ability to modify your rebel/imperial outfits just a bit. Things like different boots, maybe some battle medallions pinned to your vest, tactical belts, long winter scarves, scarred/broken armor for troopers, etc. There's a lot you can do with outfit customization and still have the outfit designs feel like they were plucked right from the movies.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Serious question: were you laid off by EA or something?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So lets assume we all take up the Utnayan banner and relentlessly boycott EA releases. Is there an actual chance that EA dumps the Star Wars exclusivity contract if sales are bad enough, thereby allowing new developers to take up the mantle? I will admit that I don't know much about the business side of the games industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Utnayan posted:

Well for christs sake dude. They cannot even pay people to like their game without some rock star going on Instagram calling their rear end out on that too. The dude not only wouldn't take their money, he broke the DVD it was on. Anyone who is playing the drat thing knows their stats are obvious marketing made up poo poo if they don't even know that one of the four maps for Rebs is entirely won in tow cables alone in the final phase. It's loving laughable at this point.

If it's anyone who can afford to not take the money and call EA out publicly, it's a loving multi-millionaire rockstar you nitwit.

• Locked thread