Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
(Big thank-you to forums user Chomp8645 for making a great OP and then choosing a fun tag to go with it)

OUT NOW ON XBONE/PS4/PC

Star Wars: Battlefront is a game by EA and Dice that succeeds two previous, ancient titles made by somebody else. Despite many predictions it is not simply Battlefield in space, but a unique game in its own right. In many ways it is reminiscent of old-school arena shooters, but with modern gloss and features.

AVAILABLE VERSIONS

Standard Edition ($60): A copy of Star Wars: Battlefront <- - - - - - BEST VALUE... WOW!!! :shibe:

Deluxe Edition ($70): You get a couple low level items out the gate that you would unlock shortly anyway, and two exclusive emotes for your $10

Ultimate Edition ($120): You get the above stuff and the $50 season pass for a bundle discount of exactly $0

Season Pass ($50, or $45 at GameStop): Contains four kinds of things! Maps and heroes we know, probably guns and star cards too. After that who knows! Find out in 2016. You can pre-order for it for an exclusive emote.

The Good
- Sets a new gold standard for audio/visual experience. Seriously, both the look and sound are amazing
- Variety of modes and match types from 8-40 players.
- The "Walker Assault" game mode is the best new thing in a while
- Awesome gameplay reminiscent of old-school arena shooters in a way
- Sweet-rear end aerial combat
- Multiplayer is BASED ON ACTUAL SERVERS
- Relatively bug-free for a Dice game, good performance on most machines.
- Splitscreen co-op and versus exists in the game

The Bad
- The splitscreen co-op and versus modes are maybe not that good
- Some of the maps are very imbalanced
- The spawn system needs work in some areas. Sometimes you're a Rebel spawning next to an AT-ST on Hoth Supremacy, and other times you're an Imp spawning a mile away from the action on Endor Walker Assault.
- The game has no team balance whatsoever. I'm not joking. Even if the teams are 20 players versus 8, the server doesn't give a gently caress.

Multiplayer Game Modes
  • Walker Assault | 40 players | Heroes, Vehicles | This is the meat and potatoes of the game. It's like a reverse rush mode: two AT-AT walkers (one on Endor) make their way to the other end of the map to destroy the Rebel base, and the Rebels have three phases to destroy the walkers--either with heavy firepower or T-47 airspeeder tow cables. Between phases, the Rebels must keep a pair of uplinks online to queue up Y-wing bombers. The more they queue up, the longer the walkers are exposed to firepower/tow cables.
  • Supremacy | 40 players | Heroes, Vehicles | It's similar to Conquest, but you can't snipe a control point from behind enemy lines. It's more of a tug-of-war flavor.
  • Fighter Squadron | 20 players | Heroes, Vehicles | Aerial dogfighting mode. Tokens are scattered near the planetary surface to cool down your abilities, repair your HP, and claim one of the hero ships. Right now we've got the Millenium Falcon and the Slave I; possibly more in expansions, but we don't know yet. Periodically an enemy transport will appear and make its way across the map. Destroy for extra points.
  • Blast | 20 players | It's team deathmatch. More of a blast than it sounds like (har-har)
  • Drop Zone | 16 players | King of the hill mode that can turn hairy once more escape pods start dropping down.
  • Droid Run | 12 players | Two teams of six try to claim three gonk droids running around. Not dissimilar from Destiny's zone control.
  • Cargo | 12 players | Capture the flag.
  • Heroes vs. Villains | 12 players | Heroes | Three heroes and three soldiers team up to face their counterparts on the other team. Whoever loses all their heroes first loses the round. Heroes can respawn as soldiers.
  • Hero Hunt | 8 players | Heroes | Seven soldiers team up to hunt down one hero. Soldiers become the hero when they defeat them, and whoever reaches a set score first while playing as hero wins the game.
  • Turning Point | 40 players | Vehicles | The Imps defend against Rebels attempting to claim their way through 4 waves of zones. Rebels gain 3 minutes to the countdown whenever they claim a waypoint and can move on. A wave can be lost if just one waypoint within it is claimed, so you've gotta keep on your toes as Imperials. This mode is new with the free Jakku DLC and only has one map available

******SICK NASTY/HILARIOUS GIFS AND SHOTS******
http://giant.gfycat.com/EminentMessyChihuahua.gif
http://giant.gfycat.com/ContentRemoteDogfish.gif
http://imgur.com/tkqMjFW
http://i.imgur.com/X2k6gSq.gifv
http://fat.gfycat.com/FailingImpressionableCuckoo.webm
http://fat.gfycat.com/EthicalJovialGelding.webm

I heard this game has four maps and no content!

The game has five planets, including the free Jakku DLC; each planet has multiple maps. There are twelve maps in total at launch (three more with the Jakku expansion). About seven or eight of those are unique (either zero or minimal asset share). As for content you can only judge that for yourself. There are a good number of modes, there is content for splitscreen co-op or versus modes, but no traditional "campaign." A common consensus is that the quantity of content may be low but what is there is largely fantastic.

What is the gameplay like?

It sounds bizarre to say but this AAA shooter from EA and Dice eschews recent trends and delivers and old-school shooter experience. Projectiles are not instant, in-game power-ups exist, respawn is basically instantaneous. There is also a strong emphasis against "tactical squad based blah blah" unlike many recent games. Prone doesn't exist, revives don't exist, crouching doesn't affect accuracy, etc. It's designed from top down to be a "run and gun" experience as opposed to tacticool tryhard bullshit. In this way it is actually very much like the old Battlefronts.

What about progression/meta stuff?

The progression system is minimal compared to many recent AAA online games. Whether that is a positive or negative is up to you. Either way the focus here is more on the matches and less on the meta. What we do have is a card-based system for unlocking new abilities, as well as new guns, cosmetic customization options, and emotes. Everything is purchased with credits, which you earn by playing the game (and maybe a little from the companion app). There is no micro transaction model or ways to spend real money to get anything in game, and no sign that that will change.

Play with goons?

Yeah, we got a thing for that!

TheDK posted:

Reminder for new page:

:siren: Find other goons and pew pew pubbies together! :siren:

QUICK THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW (temporary)
- You can upgrade Star Cards! Select one you've already bought and you will notice an option to upgrade it. It's expensive (around 7000 credits) and is usually a cooldown reduction. This is one upgrade level per card.
- Starship shields grant collision immunity against non-terrain objects. It's hilarious and broken and should probably be patched.
- USE THE DISH TURRET AGAINST AT-ATs if you are a Rebel. They are unparalleled when it comes to sustained DPS against them.
- The AT-ST rockets auto-track aircraft. Just shoot in their general direction, and the rocket will pick up the target automatically.
- Leia's supercharged blaster ability ("Trooper Bane") passes through her squad shield.
- Crouching does not affect accuracy. In fact nothing does. The only advantage to ADS is that the target is bigger on your screen.
- Vehicle power-ups have fixed locations. Hero power-ups randomly replace basic power-ups and have no fixed location. (You can taunt while calling in a vehicle too!)
- You can swap out power-ups by holding Square (or whatever button) next to the new one. You don't have to blindly throw that imploder and possibly kill yourself.
- Sprinting or firing your weapon reveals your general location on the enemies' radars. The Scout trait can remedy this.
- Ramming a hero with a speeder bike will kill them instantly.
- Shooting a T-47 airspeeder with any weapon, even a handheld blaster, spikes their cable mini-game. Don't ignore them tripping a walker just because you don't have AV!
- Melee attacks do 100 damage from front or back and 50 from the side.
- Double-tap circle (on PS) while strafing to perform a combat roll.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Like the Power Glove?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Trilin posted:

My motivation to grind is literally the app.

Only 9 more AT-ATs to tow cable till I can get that air speeder power-up...

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Microwaves Mom posted:

do these things apply to the actual game?

I don't think so, if I'm reading you correctly.

The things I do in the base game unlock things in the companion app. The only thing I get in the base game as a reward for playing the companion app is credits.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Battlefront broke Benjamin.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Cop gay. So What posted:

Wasn't battlefront supposed to be a huge AAA release? This thread has 14 pages... If SA is a barometer of this games popularity that doesn't bode well.
Too busy playin it!

Rob Haldorson posted:

I thought early access for Jakku was for pre-orders only. Did they extend it to season pass holders as well?
AFAIK it's just preorders.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I'm not a big K/D guy (I think mine's like 1.18) but I can maybe see where they're coming from: they do not find it fun to die repeatedly. I think even if you implement that alternate score ranking at the end of the round (and they already have a "Highest Objective Score" after the tally), you're still gonna get pubbies who would rather kill more than they die.

Basically, it's their game and they'll play how they want to :shrug:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Reverse Centaur posted:

So if I was smart enough to not pre order but dumb enough to buy the season pass already, I don't get jakku right away? I'm still at work.

And of course I didn't pay $10 extra for the best gun either so I guess I am the king idiot.

Correct, early Jakku was preorders only.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Who cares about this dumb turret bullshit

Serious and very important questions for high level players: when the rebel aliens emote, is it in alien languages?

Yes.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Playing the same map twice in a row is stupid and I hate this change.

And the Shadow Trooper skin on Endor is complete bullshit.

Speaking as a Rebel? Or a shadow trooper?

And I agree about the rotation change. Putting Jakku in there to make an odd number of maps would've been absolutely fine. It is out of left field for me what they did with rotation.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Honestly I disagree and think it's fine the way it is. I think part of the fun is figuring out how varied you should make your two hands to be able to react to whatever situation you're more likely to face going in as either a Rebel or Imperial (with consideration to the game type as well). Then when you switch sides, you have unlimited time to figure out what you want to change up in your two hands.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
When I catch myself thinking "Well at least I'll get a free win" when Endor Walker Assault pops up in the rotation for the Rebel side, then there are definitely balance issues that need fixing.

Either nerf Rebel air or beef up Walker HP. Maybe even both.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Daily complaints:
- The charge system. I manage to actually get to 1 charge token once every 2 rounds or so. I basically never get to use my middle card. Make them give +5 or something.
- Losing vehicle tokens on death. Finally getting that sweet sweet AT-AT token, then 2 pixels before it's activated you get shot in the face. I had this happen 2 times in a row last night and I wanted to throw my controller. The vehicle tokens should persist through death for 10 seconds or so.

I have a hand called "Air War" dedicated to picking up tokens; personal shield in the middle slot, ion torpedo on left, jump pack on right.

Somehow I have a feeling this is exactly what Dice wanted me to do.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Free emote available if you sign up for promotional emails.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

PureRok posted:

I prefer the default Storm Trooper. I enjoy running around as some nameless mook.

I wouldn't be against wearing this, though:

Uh, what is this and where can I get it?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

:hellyeah: Nice trample at the end too.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Captain Gordon posted:

If you have the Jakku content enabled, it will only try to find matches on the Jakku map, which is dumb.

Click on the Main Game button next to it and you will find a match in seconds. Turn Jakku back on if you want to play Turning Point.

This should really go into the OP.

This hasn't been the case for me. With Jakku turned on I can get into any WA map.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I feel like the E-11's projectiles (lol) travel a lot faster than most other guns. I was absolutely killin' with it in Turning Point last night based off someone's suggestion in this thread.

Anti-Hero posted:

Is there a aim-assist function?

Yes, and you can turn it off in settings.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Incidentally, is it possible for Imperials to damage the AT-AT when it's vulnerable. Because I'm pretty sure I dropped an Orbital Bombardment on ours by accident yesterday at exactly the same time it lost a bunch of health and was destroyed.

This happened to me when I was in the AT-AT on Endor. Trying to finagle an orbital into some nearby trees and ended up dropping lasers on my own head and losing a bit of health.

teh_Broseph posted:

Anyone know if the companion app requires an internet connection to play? (tia!)

Yes. It won't let you even start a game unless you're connected. If you're in the middle of a siege and get disconnected, a pop-up will appear saying your credits and stars won't save but you can keep playing.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I'm glad that this is the only thing from the prequel trilogy that made it into the game

Wholeheartedly agree.

With the fists in the air it's much more of a ROTS vibe to me.

ZypherIM posted:

I'm pretty sure the honor guard gets a souped up version of the rebel blaster, because that normal does 25 dmg max, and I think you kill people in 3 hits with the honor guard. The royal guard's t21 doesn't seem different off-hand to me, but it might have better range on the damage drop off or something. Both get a rocket that does twice what a smart rocket does, and a homing rocket. I believe you also get increased kill rewards when playing as them.

Yeah, the Rebel honor guard blaster seems slightly buffed to me too. So many good things about Leia. Sucks that Han is basically useless for the Rebels. He kinda owns in the smaller Hero game modes, though.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Microwaves Mom posted:

Did they nerf personal shields? They don't seem able to take quite the beating anymore.

I don't think so. I just used it to my tremendous advantage in Cargo. It was soaking up blaster hits like no one's business.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Imperials can roll the Rebels pretty hard on Sullust WA. I will grant you, though, that a lot of it depends on getting Palpatine to raid the right uplink on the second phase (the one that's inside) and then stay there, letting shock troopers spawn on you to help hold it.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

Spoiler for the curious who haven't seen it yet: the AT-AT shoots a transport.

How original!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Okay what the gently caress? I thought air speeders couldn't damage TIEs. I was in a TIE interceptor on the last phase of Hoth with 11 health left, and a T 47 shot me clear out of the air. Are there hot fixes going on?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Nah, I think something must've changed recently. I just hopped into the airspeeder myself on the last phase of tatooine, started shooting a tie interceptor, and was getting the notifications for damage. I have never seen that before.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

BastardySkull posted:

Lasers on the t21 have always hurt ties, why wouldn't they if you hit them?

In the beta (and after initial release...though maybe I was wrong all along) you'd just see sparks, no damage indicator of points. But I'm seeing it now.

Anyway check out this video of me trampling Vader right afterward. http://youtu.be/u8cMYZaXN1k

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
:lol: Amazing. If this world were right and just, the snowspeeder pilot would have been in first person and uploaded his viewpoint to the Internet for the world to see.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Utnayan posted:

Not sure.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Bat...rds=Battlefront

It's a sale for now, but they usually last a while.

Yeah for anyone that hasn't bought it yet, I would wait. There is no way this thing is still $59 in a week. It just isn't selling. At all.

Star Wars Battlefront: it's not just for 1%ers anymore

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
It shows allllllll my PSN friends at the top bar too, and randomly ordered. At least put them in order of friends actually playing the game.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

Good Star Wars video games:
- Jedi Knight games
- Star Wars: Rebellion
- Star Wars Battlefront 1 & 2
- Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2
- X-Wing and Tie Fighter games
- Star Wars Battlefront EA???
- Star Wars Galaxies (no question marks)

Bad Star Wars games:
- Star Wars Battlefront EA???
- Star Wars Galaxies (no question marks)
- The Force Unleashed 2
- Anything that involved Episode 1 except Pod Racer
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
- Star Wars Super Bombad Racing (haven't played it but lol it's a real game)
- Star Wars Kinect

Hey pal I played the ever-loving poo poo out of Galactic Battlegrounds. forcesight all day every day

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Kelly posted:

This game is fun.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

MotorCityBadBoy posted:

I got hyped up and thought the last point would actually be a cool looking Imperial Base.

Honestly I did too. It's like they spent all their man hours on the loving Tantive IV and forgot to make a cool base to capture in "Capture the base" mode.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Also don't get shot by any small arms fire.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Utnayan posted:

That tow cable stat is such bullshit. Along with all their other bull poo poo stats. Especially in tatooine. The end phase is always 1 or both going down by tow. What a crock of poo poo. These assholes cannot even be tasked to actually put out a game with 50 dollars worth of content. Who in their right mind thinks they pulled reporting features out of their rear end.

Haha get a life dude

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Skoll posted:

It's amazing how easy some of you are letting yourselves get trolled.

I prefer to look at it more as a live mental breakdown happening right now ITT. He's just got that secret sauce of vocabulary choices and frequency of posting that tips it over the edge from trolling into mental unstability.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

teh_Broseph posted:

This is good advice. P sure he's starting to show himself as a shill from Star Trek trying to hurt Star Wars sales as part of a reputation sponsorship http://sto.gamepedia.com/Reputation_Sponsorship. Fight the good fight, buy the season pass, don't listen to Star Trek shills trying to hurt EA's reputation. I'd guess his rep points get counted per post, maybe more if we quote and his name is shown? I dunno, gonna be careful though.

:lol:

I don't usually enjoy kicking a man when he's down, but this is great. Apparently because I post in the MN goon meetup thread from time to time that gives Utnayan permission to e-stalk me? I didn't even write the drat OP!

Or maybe he's right. Maybe Olive and Co. in downtown MPLS pays me to sit on the forums all day and play Battlefront so I can upload vids of myself trampling Vader in the snowspeeder to prove to potential consumers just how fun this game is. Hey wait a sec--that sounds like a pretty sweet gig. I wish Utnayan's conspiracies were true!!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Yeah, it just gives points. I think the AT-AT is still vulnerable even if you shoot it down.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I'm pretty sure they randomly replace power-up tokens. So you just have to be vigilant.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

The sec whatever 5 shot blaster is amazing. You can one shot if you land the full burst, and it's very easy to two shot with it. The only downside with it is it sucks at range but if you like to get mid/close range it's absolutely lethal, and if you absolutely must have a long range option you can always grab the pulse rifle for your kit.

I play mostly WA/Turning Point and I usually kit out with the 5 shot blaster, rocket pack, shield, bounty hunter, and grenades. Pretty good setup for close range. I've recently unlocked the bowcaster and plan to try everyone's favorite spam trio of it + pack + BH.

Coming from, like, 9 months straight of playing Destiny, I can confirm the 5-shot blaster pistol is waaay OP (and amazing because of it). I've gotten so many kills from mid-range with it that I would immediately feel dirty about afterward.

Longer range I'll just rock the E-11. So this game basically has two guns as far as I'm concerned.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Hopper posted:

I won't go into detail because I don't want to spoil it for others but it is more than that.

Kinda agree. There were probably 3-4 too many "hey audience remember when this happened? Lol!" lines. It holds the movie back from being timeless.

Where's the source on incoming Dagobah WA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Preechr posted:

They need to add a Captain Phasma hero for the Imperial side. Give her some souped-up E-11, some kind of offensive ability that's kind of neat (Combo focus-fire and explosive shot, but a little weaker?), and most importantly, she can't run or sprint, only swag-walk.

Leia already has a souped-up E-11. In fact I've been seeing E-11s in use by pubbies more and more recently.

• Locked thread