Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I will never understand why people get the hero token in Hoth WA and use it to become Boba Fett: Sniper Extraordinaire. Dumb bastard was on the hill next to the phase 1 imperial spawn (during phase 2) and just plinking away as his team got owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Because they don't really care and just want to get the kills.

Personally I find myself judging people that pull Luke or Han on supremacy maps. Come on guys, Leia is so dammed good on those points, even if she is boring.

Luke is good for breaking an enemy concentration.

Han is good for dying and wasting a hero token i guess

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Trilin posted:

My motivation to grind is literally the app.

God yes.

Gotta pimp that deck

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

ZypherIM posted:

Ion shot should 100% be in one of your hands when you play on sullust. It just tears the turbo-lasers apart, and moves it from "gently caress someone who took one of these powerups kill the turbolasers" to free points. Downside is they respawn in like 30 seconds or something dumb, and hunting charges is a bit annoying, but it is really satisfying to have the burst rifle and kill 2 turbolaser fuckers in 1 card charge. Also those things do a crazy amount of damage to everything, so killing them is the difference between maybe winning as imperials and losing both walkers in phase 2.

Yeah, I've also found Ion Shot to be incredibly useful in removing pesky turrets. It's especially useful in Hoth WA in the final stage, when the Imperials have good coverage of the forward trenches and start merking everyone with the turrets they overrun.

Plus if you get behind an AT-ST with a good blaster and Ion Shots you can to a lot of damage right quick.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I bought survivalist first :( it was a bad call

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Played WA the other day on Tatooine, got hero, picked Leia because we were getting owned on uplinks, stormed uplink and sat on it. Then boba fett came in to clear the point and I meleed him from full to dead.

Game owns

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Skoll posted:

I think that the blaster pistols need to be seriously rebalanced. It's pretty telling when you see the majority of both teams running DH-17s, SE-14Cs, and DL-44s on EVERY game mode and mainly just the newer players running the E-11 or DLT-19s, etc.

You see the rare jawa shotgun here and there, but hit detection with that thing, at least for me, is always spotty as gently caress.

I've been using the boba fett gun and it owns hard. Blaster pistols are really good but they fall down hard at range.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Jerkface posted:

The Jakku stream is live if anyone wants to watch cringe worthy gamers game it up on Jakku

http://www.twitch.tv/eastarwars

edit: Jakku is a jawa's wet dream

Jakku looks slick as hell but god drat the guys shoutcasting it made me turn it off after like 5 mins

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Because a game being good or bad is an objective thing, you see :goonsay:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Fateo McMurray posted:

Walker Assault/Supremacy forced 1st person would be fun to play/fly in

All modes hardcore (no HUD, forced first person) would be fun

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Skoll posted:

Turning Point kinda feels meh as gently caress. It's one of those modes you're only going to do well on if you have a team who's willing to work together. Unfortunately, I got saddled with a bunch of assholes who decided to sit back, as rebels, and try to snipe their way to victory with T-21s... In a loving king of the hill mode.

I feel like it's going to suffer from beta-WA-itis, where the pubbies take a couple days to figure out how to actually play

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Skoll posted:

I don't see how. This is basically Supremacy with a couple extra points and no back-and-forth.

The implication being that this will not break the brain of the average pubbie

(that implication is false)

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I just wish there was some way to "balance" the game to get some people to not play for just K:D. Like, killing people is definitely important, but sitting on top of the trees or large vehicles way up in the air constantly shooting down on people is annoying as all hell.

The only way you can do this is by incentivizing objective play. You're always going to have +/- 25% of the people in a match doing nothing but stroking their kdr, the idea is to keep that number from increasing by making the rest of the plebs want to sit on points. DICE did it really well in BF4 with incremental objective scoring, big bonuses for doing stuff that ostensibly contributed to defending/assaulting points, et cetera. I don't see why they haven't put a similar system in this game.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

tadashi posted:

So my impression from reading the thread is that this is a game you can jump into pretty quickly as long as you basically understand how an FPS arena-style game works? Do the guns you acquire as you level up make a big difference? I think CoD Black Ops 2 was the last time I played online and it was amazing how you weren't really playing the same game as everyone else until you got the right guns unlocked. I mean all I ever want to do in Star Wars is fly things but I guess that's not going to be possible at every given moment.

You get the meat of your unlocks straight off the bat. Most everything else is just frosting. I really like the rebel starter rifle, and the imperial one is decent as well. Thermal detonator is nice (if not quite as useful as impact grenade), scout pistol is good for when you overheat, ion torpedo should never leave your hand in a vehicle map. I honestly don't even use the jetpack that much.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Siets posted:

I actually think the problem with AT ATs is the prevalence of the ground turrets on most maps. Not only are there lots of them, many have line of sight to the AT ATs from far enough back where the imperials can't realistically destroy them.

If you have line of sight to the AT-AT, the AT-AT has line of sight to you most likely.

Whenever I get the token right before a bomber phase, my first job is always "kill all visible dish turrets"

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Siets posted:

Please describe this "depth" in detail.

The game is shallow. There's a significant lack of nuance to it.

This is good in some cases, but coming straight from Battlefield 4 it's a bit of a culture shock.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Depth is sorta a factor of breadth though. If you don't have a bunch of stuff that can do a bunch of different things then there's no opportunity for play and counterplay (and therefore depth).

I mean, you don't need to have the infinity bits and bobs of BF4, but having a loadout for your X-Wing so that maybe a tie fighter takes longer to lock on to you or you can do maneuvers more often or whatever mixes things up.

Depth, generally is the opposite of shallowness - shallowness in games generally being WYSIWYG.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

ShineDog posted:

Wysiwyg is not shallowness, it should be a core tenet of any game where obfuscation of information isn't a core tenet. [...] Compare to counter strike where you have a small selection of guns gear and the knowledge of them and how they interact is entirely crucial.

The interactions bit is sorta what I mean - it's not an element of gameplay that you see right off the hop, and if everyone's guns had the same stats as the ak/deagle/p90 then there would be significantly less strategy. There's depth there that doesn't exist in battlefront.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

The Airspeeder is the rebel ground vehicle :v:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind needing charges for your second star card ability? After I go through the initial 25 I get I feel like I'm going to be struggling to ever use them again.

Is this some poo poo to try to sell us as micro transactions in the future?

I think It's just supposed to be a credit sink (you can pay credits to buy 25 charges iirc).

re: matchmaking - I'm on PC and it's intermittent. Most days I get insta-matched, no matter the mode. Some days I can't even find a WA match. It definitely varies based on when I try playing, but I've been in almost empty WA lobbies at primetime on a friday. They definitely need to force-patch Jakku into everyone's game to remove the playerbase segregation.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Saw the movie last night, holy god the DLC based on it is going to be ten different kinds of awesome.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I've been having huge successes with the A20C or whatever the rebel default blaster is. High enough ROF to properly suppress people, high enough accuracy to actually get your murder on.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Skoll posted:

Just saw the movie. All trolling aside, it kinda sucked.

I, too, saw the movie recently. All trolling aside, it was actually really amazing.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Palpek posted:

The people you see just suck, I'd probably change the server. When you get a Falcon/Slave 1 you should be at the top of the table or you're pretty much useless. Also Slave 1 ramming into Falcon killing both is the biggest sign of idiocy. The gentleman's agreement between Falcon and Slave 1 is to ignore one another because it's a giant waste of time and a sure way to get the least amount of points possible. Just shoot everything else down and melt enemey transports, good job.

Lol if you're the falcon and you don't make a point of running down the Slave 1 at every opportunity

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Steve Vader posted:

EDIT AGAIN: So what's the deal with Droid Run where the time flashes 00:00 for a while at the end of a match, letting the game continue for a while?

If there's a droid cap in progress, it'll wait until it's done. It's basically gimme time in case you were on the verge of winning but the timer finished.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I found the extra FOV to be useful, but it's really frustrating when you're playing peek and poke and end up shooting the rock you're hiding behind

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Holy god gently caress Escape from Fest. I downloaded Rogue Squadron from GOG when they got it and I'd forgotten the utter bullshit that was that level.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Yorkshire Tea posted:

The original RS really didn't age as well as its sequel. Christ, the fog.

I never played the sequel. Enjoyed my second time through the first though. It was nice being not a child and understanding how to actually play the game.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I will be buying the death star DLC and nothing else most likely

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Imo the bowcaster should just be a regular weapon, high damage, low rof, single shot (none of this charging business) with a slight splash where it hits.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Yeah uh I am nothing but happy with these patch notes. DICE seems to be closing in on "fun". Hopefully it's not too late to salvage that PC PCU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

More generally, a Rodian and a Sullustian, both of which are Rebel skins iirc

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Junior Jr. posted:

Well now I know the next time DICE release Battlefront II, don't bother with the "free" pre-order bonus 'cause they'll release it for free months later.

Jakku was always free, you just had to opt in :confused:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

psyman posted:

Man it's a bit pathetic going to all this trouble to save a few dollars. Frankly I'm sick of seeing the same old "VPN trick" or "durr is this game worth $5?" posts in every Games thread these days. I certainly wouldn't broadcast to the world about being such a cheapskate.

Do you get paper cuts when you swim in your pool filled with cash?

I mean, it must be really cool to have so much money that you don't care about saving any of it :eonwe:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

"Nien Numb?"

More like "nein, dumb."

:getout:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

*builds $1,000+ gaming rig*

*needs to VPN to foreign country to afford game*

Like, seriously, my net income is less than $250/month (thanks, student loans!) and I can still afford to buy a game at full price if I want to.

Unless you're doing it to stick it to EA. That's just downright goony. :iamafag:

I don't know about everyone else, but when I bought my gaming rig I spent weeks trying to get the best prices on the parts.

By the same logic, I will attempt to get the best prices for my games.

Power to you for being morally upstanding with your $250 a month though

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Awesome. Now if only they'd done that when people were still playing the game.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Honestly, I feel like if the matchmaking is given a little love this game might grow some legs. We've hit a point where there's a vague semblance of balance, the maps are looking great, it's just finding a game that's difficult.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Started playing this bad game again, rapidly discovered that bad game is actually good, was pleasantly surprised. New maps own bones.

Steve Vader posted:

Fun glitch: Twilight on Hoth, final Turning Point. An AT-ST token keeps spawning, but anyone who grabs it can't use it. You just kneel down, activate it, and nothing happens. I did it three times, and I watched another guy do it once.

By fun, I mean rear end.

Happened to me too, but I think the AT-ST was actually up at the time so maybe it's related to that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Really? Literally the least interesting OT bounty hunter? They could have taken IG-88 or Bossk and instead they take the regular boring one?

• Locked thread