Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I should have read this thread before I bought this on PC this weekend. :smithicide:

Still, some of the modes pop just fine, and the sound and graphic design is incredible. Kind of feel like I'm still easy meat for the veterans with all the toys unlocked, though.

Finally found a decent gun with that jawa sawed-off. It's not flashy but I feel a little less like I'm playing a Victim Simulator for the level 50s, now that I can hug cover, pop around corners, and give fuckers a face full of laser buckshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Spitting distance of rank 13, where I won't have to rely on random partner hands to get me the almost obligatory jetpack.

E: I'll probably burn out on it eventually, but aside from not having a proper SP campaign, it's alright. I like that there are some conscious design decisions that create a compromise between the big open field tactilol Battlefield style games and old-school run-and-gun.

Making the one proper "sniper rifle" a long cooldown charge-up single shot thing was cool. I'll still use it to nab an easy kill against someone sillhouetted far away on approach, then run in with thermal dets and my Jawa shotgun for some furious CQB. Really seems to reward gameplay that's not too static.

I usually don't even notice sound design in videogames, but it's so superb in this one I can't help but be impressed. A few hours in and I can already tell what kind of guns are being fired from the sound and stuff. Kind of makes me want to get a 6.1 system.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 15, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I just got it over the weekend, but I'm willing to forgive a lot for the sheer scope and spectacle of joining a dozen troopers storming a Rebel position under the feet of a towering robot elephant as TIEs howl past to strafe 'em and soften them up. I'm sure my tune will change and I'll sour on it, but I barely care if I'm on the winning team in Walker Assault at this point because my inner 8-year old is just staring out in awed silence. I guess that's the wow-factor they were counting on to move this sucker.

It's a shame the cosmetic options for troops include helmet-less, though. I'd much rather special armor detailing or more variants like imp officer, TIE pilot, etc. ~my immersion~!

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 17, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Is it just me or can you simply count on the Rebels having air superiority most of the time, pretty much?

Like, I was playing on WA Hoth and the Imps had a couple Baron loving Fels owning the skies in squints and even though I was on the other team I couldn't help thinking "well good for them."

:dice: pls patch in a TIE Advanced. You don't even gotta program anything, just give it the A-Wing stats and abilities. And hitbox.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If the Death Star DLC is all dogfighting, I'm gonna pass. Everything that isn't Walker Assault is a lesser minigame version of one of its components.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It does award points for taking out emplacements. Even unmanned, if I'm not mistaken.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

ShineDog posted:

I'm guessing snipers are a pc problem, because it's vanishingly rare I get taken our by one more than once in a match on ps4

It isn't even a huge problem on PC in my experience. Most of the time if I'm sniped I'm like "Yeah, I was standing still/tunnel visioned."

But probably even harder trying to snipe people using a batarang with nipples.

Having to re-learn how to play these games without K+M was a consideration in new gaming PC vs. PS4.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Junior Jr. posted:

I feel like some bastard always snipes whenever I'm sprinting anywhere on the map. When I'm on the Jakku map, I know there's one guy on top of the rebel frigate who camps and snipes imps during the match.

Serpentine!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm level 19 and never remember to use my "utility" or w/e you call it Star Card. Usual loadout is Jump Pack because I really like the mobility and either pulse rifle or thermal det depending on the map and my mood. What's a good one to take? I've unlocked Explosive and Ion shots. On WA (the mode I play 95% of the time) I generally activate Ion or Explosive when I'm shooting the AT-AT in the tits with my pop gun, though I don't know how much that actually helps. If I actually have a second I'll pop ion to try and shoot though personal shields because is that supposed to help?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Hopper posted:

Personal shield helps protects you from guns while activating/deactivating beacons or calling in a vehicle in the open.

I've started just outright passing up TIE drops. Briefly running suicide interference on Rebel air is a thankless chore.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yorkshire Tea posted:

It's not like that vs. X-wings if you know what you're doing.

Standard Tie vs. X-wing is probably a fair match that's potentially weighted in favour of the Tie because they've got better turning circles.

Are there any maps that have only X-Wings and no A-Wings? In my experience A-Wings are on every map and clown hard on Air to Air and Ground to Air. I know if I pick up an A-Wing drop, I basically hum the Super Mario invincibility music and count on a round of power climbing/shielding out of missile attacks, shooting down TIEs, and stukka-ing the crap out of Stormtroppers as long as I play it right.

E: like I'm on the bad side of average at ground or air, but the only time I have lost an A-Wing it's either been aggregated slip ups over 2.5 phases of walker assault letting missiles hit, or being double teamed by smart, good TIEs. E2: or just flying into the damned ground because of my sausage fingers.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 22, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

i'm way easier on this game than a lot of people I know but going as imperials into phase 3 in walker assault with 3 A-wings alive is Not Fun

I played the single player AT-ST mission where you just pop A-Wings all day long with homing missiles, and I was like "If only."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Abner Assington posted:

It's also because I'm bad.

:smith: :respek: :smith:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Why would you not do an expac with Taco Donna and SK base maps with your heroes as Finn, Rey and Poe vs Hux Phasma and Kylo?

That would own.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I just played a WA where in phase 2 in an interceptor I got to mix up dogfighting with xwings and strafing ground targets. Feels nice.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I want C3P0 as a hero option in future Battlefront DLC so I can prance mincingly about the battlefield as laserblasts and thermal imploders go off all around me, all the while clucking with effete concern about all this fuss and bother.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Junior Jr. posted:

So if I had to guess, is the Outer Rim DLC going to be filled with more unbalanced and OP star cards and weapons? Then DICE are going to have patch those as well?

I hope it adds at least 15 new emotes that given the pace, scope, and style of game are useless outside of spamming at a captive audience in the 20 seconds before match start.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Junior Jr. posted:

Seriously though, gently caress the stormtrooper heads (except scout and shadow trooper), they're garbage.

I legit disrespect anyone who Imps out without headgear. WHERE IS YOUR FUCKIN' COVER, TROOPER?

I think when I get up there for rebs I'm gonna unlock either the duros or quarren heads. I see plenty of Sullistans and Twilek.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

I think it's less about "didn't take long to save that money!" and more about "this is one step from piracy".

I'm glad someone is sticking up for Electonic Arts ITT.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Is there a way I can get a discount on these restocks of Scan Pulses? Like using a VPN to access the holonet through Dantooine?

You guys were right, it turns out that game-sanctioned wallhax are in fact good, who knew? But I go through them like popcorn.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Why not Lando himself?

He could have like a little cape flourish and a winning smile, it would be cool.

E: Greedo should have all of his shots wildly deviate randomly from 0, but add 500ms latency whenever he's visible to someone playing Han.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

33k people own an XBOXOne?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

There should be unlockable mon-cal heads.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tiny Lowtax posted:

This game is stupid. Hey lets nerf everything except the pulse canon so every large map is nothing but a loving pulse canon snipe fest. So loving fun.

I have been seeing a lot more pulse canon post patch.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I like how sometimes you bump into like a pebble in the geometry an eighth of a foot off the ground and end up going straight up and a little to the side sometimes with the jump pack.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Thanks for the heads up. Already got a couple of these, but for :10bux: it's still a good value for what I don't.

I tried a few times to get into Rebellion but I just found the interface impenetrable. And I'm not averse to moderately complex 4x space games.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Also probably wait till next Tuesday to buy more Starwar games, just in case?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Haha I do this all the time on the Tatooine WA map.

Fight me in real life.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Junior Jr. posted:

And give us imperial officers instead of just helmetless stormtroopers.

I will forgive the A-Wing hitbox, the weird glitches, the balance issues. But this will never not stick in my craw.

"Helmetless" stormtroopers; aren't.

Off the top of my head you could have done royal guardsmen, TIE pilots, full-helmet black jumpsuit gunner guys, open face helmet black jumpsuit detention block/regular army guys, naval officers, ground officers, AT-AT/ST pilots, General Veers style officer combat armor...

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I think the customization in the game for Imperials is pointless. The rebels are supposed to look diverse and rag-tag, but the Empire is all about uniformity and order. Having a billion different outfits would hurt the authenticity they're aiming for.

Ship sailed when they let dipshits run around in stormtrooper armor with their feathered hair blowing in the breeze.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Ah, I thought you were commenting about my options for customization. While ecclectic, I think it would have been better if you must include a bunch of options than making the only option for most of the unlocks making the guys defined by being faceless face-ed.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Junior Jr. posted:

You could make an imperial officer work on Endor, they'd be camouflaged like the Rebels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5o4np50Blo&t=952s

Oh man it was just a crummy rail shooter, but for 1996 or whenever that was a baller-rear end game.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

CheeseSpawn posted:

I guess the harder skins probably pull from EU and maybe off limits?

I spat out like eight screen canon Imperial troop type skins off the top of my head. JrJr has the right of it, they probably just didn't want to spend the effort developing additional assets. Plopping a head mesh they already made on a stormtrooper torso was "gently caress it good enough."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Death Star could have totally thematic Tarkin as a Leia-style support/ranged hero. Would be sort of weird to have an aging space nazi sprinting all over in his jackboots, but also cool. And IDK maybe Dodonna? Honestly no real reason not to do C3P0 or R2, though, that could be interesting, too.

As far as how you'd do WA, just do the Yavin Jungle. Death Star Dead, so what? Showed up a few hours later at fleet strength the old-fashioned way. That would actually be a cool map with the temples and poo poo. Definitely give us some more starfighter modes with the Death Star itself though. Kind of silly to have the starfighter modes so far in the Star Wars be Atmospheric Wars.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's actually not super obvious in the interface and took me some time to figure out.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah scope and presentation make up for a lot of the flaws for sure.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 7, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Siets posted:

Yeah, I think the biggest reason for the decline in PC player population has to be the hacking. It is so prevalent and just kills my motivation to play when it happens. Through conversations with a few of the hackers while in-game they've said that this game is comically easy to hack because so much number-crunching is done client-side. It's 2016. How have developers not learned to avoid client-side anything by this point?

Huh. I always assumed most modern AAA games played competitively online are basically a glorified graphical client that reports your allowed inputs to the server and everything was handled on the server side. Seems like that's the only sensible way to do it, people being filthy loving animals online.

Guess I'm a little naive.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Gooch181 posted:

I just got it yesterday. It's a bummer being forced to play AI matches because I literally can't find a game.

If anyone wants to add me, I don't have any origin friends. My name on there is Gravn12, for some reason. I'm down to do whatever, including the co-op/versus stuff.

Walker Assault seems to be the most populated mode, and IMO the best one anyway. I'm on there as PanicAtTheSisko.

EA really needs to come up with a plan for when their little expansions start fracturing the already tiny PC player base, otherwise this is gonna die fast. I don't know what they can do though, they can't retroactively make it free content.

Make the maps populate in everyone's rotation, but lock core game players out of the new guns and cards?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Moartoast posted:

It is worth noting that all the Titanfall DLC became free like a year after release or something. Obviously it's not a good solution, but it can eventually happen.

I really the PR thing about them working on "offline multiplayer" in response to a question about bots means that they are genuinely making proper bots. It's a bit of a long shot but it would be kinda fantastic, especially for extra-casual scrubs like me that never cared about online in the old games and would just meatgrind all day long.

Yeah, I meant right out of the gate. The situation feels so dire that waiting a year or even six months to make it free-to-all would mean that much time of an all-but-dead game with the player base thusly split.

I would totally play Offline walker assault, and dumb down the bots so I could actually feel like I'm good at this computer game.

Much like Finn I'd love a proper campaign, even if it was really basic cutscenes duct-taping together bot matches of existing modes.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/03/04/john-boyega-asks-ea-for-a-star-wars-battlefront-story-campaign/#44d72d9b42e3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Moartoast posted:

The story campaign BF II-style sounds decent on paper, but A) it's not as systemically strong or interesting, and B) Do you really want more VO work from what might be the worst SW character impersonators in the business (besides Palpatine because fuk da h8ers he hams it up real good)?

I'm the gore-drenched Luke emploring the Stormtroopers to "surrender" as I hack through them six at a time.

• Locked thread