Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Full Metal Jackass posted:

I keep reading recommendations for the DLT-19, but I can't kill poo poo with it. So far I do the best with the A280C. What's everyone's goto?

Not a fan of either of those guns. I am usually rocking the pistols at any given time. The SE-14C is a 5 round burst monster that will destroy people up close. Better yet, when paired with explosive rounds, it can take out troops from a pretty nice distance.

The DH-17 is a great space-uzi and the DL-44 takes the deagle slot in the game, much to the chagrin of many.

When not using pistols, I will fall back on the T-21 and E-11 for their reliable medium range handling and generally high damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Remote User posted:

What's everyone using as their trait? I've got about 17k space bucks, so I'm ready to get a trait. I like the 3rd level of scout, so I'm leaning towards that.

I always run scout, mostly because I'm always running. Bounty hunter is pretty cool, but it is a bit too random for my liking, at least till you get it to level 3. Not sure about the rest, but bodyguard does seem pretty useful considering the amount of grenade spam.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Summit posted:

Cool, guess you're fine with the balance then. I'm not. I find it frustrating to get rocked by poo poo I don't even have access to.

I think the last functional unlock is the DL-44 at rank 25. It takes less than a week of casual play to get half the star cards and another to reach rank 25 (or like three days total if you're crazy like me).

There are balance issues with the game, but the progression system is not contributing to that. I hope you don't play Call of Duty or literally any free to play game because they might give you an aneurysm.

Also, quit telling people to play in 1st person mode Zaphod you crazy bastard. 3rd person or bust :colbert:.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Parkingtigers posted:

Wanna counter some popular thoughts. I always run 1st person, almost 18 hours in. Tried 3rd person, just can't do it. I'm mostly terrible at shooters, but I'm holding my own despite the actually true advice that 3rd person view is better. It is, but clearly a numpty like me doing alright in 1st person means it's really not a dealbreaker. Play how you want, it's fine.

Also, I ADS a lot. Not at close range, that'll slow you down, but for medium to long range it helps me target better on PS4 and it gets me more kills. Again, it's better not to but I'm doing alright with using it so "never ADS" isn't good advice. Use it at the appropriate ranges with the appropriate weapons and it's fine, good even.

The DL-44 isn't the god gun a lot of people say it is. Used to be a fan due to trying it out early in survival. Just hit 25 and unlocked it, but it was losing in short range firefights in Droid Run and I had to swap it out for my trusty EE-3 which is officially the best gun over all ranges. Take that to the bank.

You're triggering me.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It would be cool to change the air tokens to generic "air" tokens rather than the specific ships and have them pick whatever is relevant to how the map is going. Huge land push with ATST? Speeder. Imperial air superiority? A-wing. Just general normal play? X-wing.

It would even make more sense lore-wise, why the hell would a solider call in speeder on the last point of hoth when imps have four ties in the air?

It's hard enough for an imperial win on WA. Now you want to have the AT-ATs cable tied on the first phase?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Palpek posted:

So I'm at the point where I choose between buying Survivalist, Bodyguard or Scout - which is more OP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQVpUuE86f8

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

MorsAnima posted:

I'd be all over that poo poo except it totally loving ruins any respectable K/D, and yeah yeah, play the objective, but I do like a nice K/D too.

That is why you fail.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

I haven't gotten good with the bowcaster yet either. It seems like it's best used as a close range weapon, but you have to charge it up to get any use out of it, which is hard to do when you're close and getting shot at. I suppose that's why people blast up into the air and then fire it, but I haven't mastered that technique yet. Maybe I just need more practice.

I did have one hilarious thing happen with the bowcaster. I was playing Endor in the third phase as Rebels and I was walking around near the left point when all of a sudden Boba Fett lands right in front of me. I had a fully charged bowcaster and let it loose at him at point blank range and it killed him. He was pretty pissed about it and complained in chat. I'm guessing he must have had quite a bit of health before getting killed by it. No idea if it can one shot heroes or not at close range but it definitely hosed him up.

It took me awhile to get used to the bowcaster, but it is worth the effort to learn cause it completely wrecks face. It's now my most used weapon. The trick, as others have said, is to aim at the feet of people, which makes the jumpjets almost mandatory for the bowcaster. Another thing that helps a ton is the scan pulse. Use that to line up your shots and pre-charge your caster before facing enemy fire.

In my experience, it does pretty good damage to heroes, but it will not out right 1-hit kill them. I was, however, killing fools in heroes vs villains the other night with the bowcaster and explosive shot. Open up with a fully charged caster shot and finish them with explosive SE-14C rounds :getin:

Unfortunately, I fear the bowcaster is going to get hit hard by the nerf bat pretty soon. I've seen a LOT of people running it in the larger modes. I'm talking watching the enemy team launch five jumpjet bowcaster combos in the span of 3 seconds kind of over-saturation. Not to mention getting level 3 bounty hunter with it is hilarious and broken. I would recommend trying out the combo before DICE makes it useless, like the barrage and impact grenades.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

I may have to give it another shot over vacation. I've tried it with jet pack/bounty hunter already, but I wasn't doing so well with it. I'll have to try the foot aiming technique.

My previous favorite kit was jet pack/shield/impact grenade but since they nerfed impacts I haven't bothered with them any more. Honestly good ole thermal detonators are still a solid option for WA.

Cool, give it a shot. Also, I wouldn't reccommend for people to try and get the level 3 bounty hunter combo with the bowcaster right away. It isn't easy getting to level 3 (it takes 6 kills without dying) and it would suck to get to level 3 and blow it when you try to combo because you miss-timed a shot or something. Take the time to get used to how the bowcaster works. Once you are able to consistently get kills with it and are comfortable with how it works, then try to go for the bounty hunter combo.

Another great card to use for that is the personal shield. Jumpjetting with the bowcaster can net you easy kills, but you will more often than not end up in a position where multiple enemies are shooting you and there's little cover around you. Just pop the shield when you land, run to cover, and get ready to line up another shot when your cooldowns are done. This makes it much easier to get to level 3 bounty hunter.

And re: scout pistol, I think it's a really good card overall. It's basically a souped-up pocket DL-44 which can have a 6 second(!) cooldown when upgraded. Take it when you know you're going to have close-range trouble but want to use a T-21 or other long-ranged primary. It's just not as good as the reliable thermal or other explosives because it's situational, but you can still mop up with it with the right setup.

Also, can someone tell me how to save my second set of card? I've tried since this game launched to get it to save my second hand and it still gets wiped clean after every round. My roommates on the PS4 don't have this problem, so I'm guessing it might be a PC thing? This isn't gamebreaking but it's such a :dice: problem that I'm angry they haven't fixed it yet.

Siets posted:

Ruining the game? Eh, that's a stretch. It is far and away the best hero power though and breaks Heroes vs. Villains pretty badly. The DPS output of his gun when he presses 2 is absolutely insane. The charge shot, if you are good at landing it, is also equally devastating.

I think he means the DL-44? Yeah it's a really good gun that could use a slight reduction in its firerate, but I don't think it's broken or anything like that. It is only useful at pretty close ranges and loses out to almost every gun the farther away you are. The damage drop off is pretty extreme and it gets super inaccurate as it heats up. It only becomes really obnoxious in the small game modes, and even then you could use the shotgun to level the playing field.

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 21, 2015

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Evil Canadian posted:

I am someone fairly newer to the game, is there a site/list/jpg or something that lists the true damage values of weapons?

I keep switching around but nothing feels as trustworthy as the e-11 but I would like to know how it all works under the hood.

The E-11 is a fantastic weapon to use throughout the game. It has high damage and fire rate. If you want to switch it up, I recommend the se-14c. It is the 5 round burst pistol. Paired with explosive shot, it is one of the most versatile weapons in the game.

The pistol is useful on small and large maps when you get the hang of it. Each shot does 20 damage max so you only need to hit one burst to drop someone when you are close. At longer ranges, just hit explosive rounds or head shots and you will win every fight. It is my favorite weapon in the game next to the bowcaster.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

THE MACHO MAN posted:

so this latest patch kind of unfucked the last one, and fixed poo poo they never did like the a-wing, yeah?

Pretty much. They added all the large maps to the turning point mode rotations, added an additional large map, and I was even getting some kills with the bowcaster. A-wings are much better now too? Pretty great patch overall.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

spiralbrain posted:

Also I think they broke the Pulse Cannon with this patch because the accuracy is waaay off.

edit apparently Im not the only one having this issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvD6JZgaKfU

Good. gently caress snipers, not just in this game but in every game. For real though, it looks like that person was moving when they fired their gun. Maybe DICE made it so you need to stand still when you shoot your rifle or else the shot goes way off mark? This would be a great change if that's how it works.

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 25, 2016

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Parkingtigers posted:

The dedicated sniper blaster has way too long a cooldown, I can see that getting buffed. I want to use it and like it, but as a primary weapon not being able to fire more than one shot every few seconds just gets me killed. I guess there might be some super niche builds for it, running all three snipers at once and cycling through them, but on every map and in every mode I'd still want to be able to lay down some serious firepower when dudes get up in my face.

I haven't unlocked it yet so I can't test this; can you use the cooling cells star card to not have to reload after every shot? Cause if so that would make that gun super beastly.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

remember when everyone complained about Battlefront 1 not having enough unlocks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Beta was fun and I'm getting he game at launch. P2W lootbox stuff kinda sucks, but the drop rate for stuff will really determine how bad it is. If it's like the beta, I don't see the issue because it took barely any time to get decent cards. That being said, it will probably not be like the beta. Didn't realize that there will be no map pack DLC. I will gladly deal with the lootboxes to not have the playerbase split up with DLC. Purchased the first game on PC but ended up playing more on my roommate's PS4 since more people played that. Never bought the original DLC cause it seemed worthless on PC with so few people.

I really dug the officer in the beta and I'm gonna have a hard time playing other classes. Not only was the turret fantastic and the source of most of my kills, the blurrgg or whatever the burst pistol was called became a beast if you upgraded it to 4 round burst. It reminded me of my favorite gun from last game, SE-14C.

• Locked thread