Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

There is a project management thread already, not development specific but might be interesting all the same: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853180&perpage=40

Product management and project management are two separate disciplines, even if they do have some overlap and both get abbreviated "PM" a lot.

A product manager is supposed to figure out strategic priorities to make whatever it is you're actually building better. That means they work with business, UX, or market research folks to understand what the product needs to do, work with the tech team to understand what's feasible to build, and settle the inevitable slapfights between those groups. A good product manager understands project management because they need to participate in setting roadmaps and high-level schedules, but they're probably not going to get into the weeds of sprint velocity and technical dependency management.

A project manager's fundamental job is to answer the questions, "when do we get it, and how much will it cost," with a detailed, workable plan, and then make sure that plan is executed. They go wrangle dependencies, set intermediate deadlines, make sure other teams are delivering on schedule, and re-plan the whole thing when it turns out things went horribly wrong (because all plans are wrong, but good plans remain useful despite that). A good project manager will have some insight into the product, because they want to deliver the right thing on time rather than just delivering something on time, but they're not going to get into the weeds of requirements gathering and horse-trading tradeoffs.

Any major project that's not strictly defined from the outset needs both roles. Expecting one person to handle everything in both spaces on a complex project is a very common path to heartbreak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Hear hear!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

if I'm a software engineer who wants to get into this product management stuff, what should I do?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Talk to the product managers at your current company and see what opportunities are right there.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you face such unfortunate personnel constraints that you can only have either a product manager or a project manager but not both, you should prefer to have a product manager.

A good way for someone to make progress toward being a product manager is to work alongside a product manager and help with their workload.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ketchup vs catsup posted:

if I'm a software engineer who wants to get into this product management stuff, what should I do?

Reevaluate your life decisions.

More seriously, think about how you would feel if your day were actually Just Meetings Then More Meetings (and then doing your actual work at home after hours), you got a huge pay cut, and didn't really get the appreciation of anyone.

Good PMs are phenomenal assets and worth their weight in gold, but we sure don't pay them that way.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

If you face such unfortunate personnel constraints that you can only have either a product manager or a project manager but not both, you should prefer to have a product manager.

A good way for someone to make progress toward being a product manager is to work alongside a product manager and help with their workload.

Having a project manager means you're doing project based work instead of continuous improvements to some system, and project-based work is hell. If your company has project managers, run.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I"ve never seen a project manager bring actual value to a team.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Carbon dioxide posted:

Having a project manager means you're doing project based work instead of continuous improvements to some system, and project-based work is hell. If your company has project managers, run.

Oh? Doing waterfall project work was the most fun I ever had as a developer. I had a real deadline, a real set of requirements, a big chart that showed it all, and the team was left alone to do it apart from the PM checking in. The continuous grind of little sprints and chores and stand-ups and making tickets and priorities changing from sprint to sprint and never, ever being DONE is what seems like hell to me.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
You guys are awesome. This was all extremely helpful. I'm glad to hear that domain expertise is essential because I was brought on as a domain expert. My prior experience is largely in academia and this will be my first role in a startup, which is why I am particularly concerned with the more managerial aspects of my new position. I have a great relationship with the CEO so I am less worried about handling the other stakeholders. He will be my primary contact point outside my team (other than the users themselves) as this is a small startup that just finished its seed round.

Sounds like being organized, having clear consistent prioritization, conveying my domain expertise and product vision via clear and detailed user/job stories, along with facilitating dev work by removing blockers whenever possible are the key things I need to make sure I am doing from the dev perspective.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Project managers don't bring that much value to individual teams. Where they can really shine is in coordinating across multiple teams in large projects. Not all do, but having been in organizations with good project management and without, I definitely want to work with the good ones.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Xguard86 posted:

I'm happy to chat here if others don't mind or via PM (pun!).

Please feel free to chat here, this is by no means a dev exclusive clubhouse and it's nice to hear from other perspectives from time to time

this applies to anyone else who may be lurking because they're not a code monkey - qa, project management, design, whatever

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Carbon dioxide posted:

How do you define "project based work" here? You can model almost any work that's not purely "keep the lights on and deal with problems as they come up" as a project.

Bongo Bill posted:

This really depends on the work. If it's well defined up front and needs to stick to a strict schedule, then you're going to need project management over product management. If you're going to be in "figure it out as we go" mode and aren't held to a strict deadline, then project management isn't as important but you need a strong product manager to help define what the "it" is you're figuring out.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Things that are cool: parameterized tests, when the parameters are just testing some basic conditions for a couple similar scenarios

Things that are less cool: parameterized tests, when the parameters are goddamn massive complex beasts that each individually run more lines than the test itself

This is a 300 test wherein the parameters occupy lines NINE THROUGH TWO HUNDRED NINETY FOUR :tizzy:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

ChickenWing posted:

Please feel free to chat here, this is by no means a dev exclusive clubhouse and it's nice to hear from other perspectives from time to time

this applies to anyone else who may be lurking because they're not a code monkey - qa, project management, design, whatever

Well in that case.

Boy if you think finding good dev jobs is hard, come on over to product land. TBH I don't even think of myself as very good but I at least am aware of what I should aspire to. Which is better than 90% of the other product people I've run into.

I don't blame any dev for seeing POs and PMs as useless, because so many of them are terrible or so hamstrung by their role that they might as well be terrible.

I've almost left product 2 distinct times but I like the pay and enjoy the job "as it should be" so I'm probably a lifer now.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

Boy if you think finding good dev jobs is hard, come on over to product land.

as someone who had PM duties added to my workload for a couple months: gently caress no

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
Uh one more PM thing.

If our team catches a bug please do not (as a non technical PM) use this as an opportunity to start reviewing code in order to double check that we fundamentally implemented your story correctly, and understand how to smooth over an edge case. We are on the same page about the desired behavior - you are not responsible for code correctness. It is not necessary/helpful, and will not result in you gaining any extra confidence as we try to explain and fail since you have not (and do not need to, really!) trained your brain to think like this.

Having a very cool day in which I made very little progress with actually fixing the thing.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
haha, what?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I agree with everything that’s been said but will add that sometimes the bullshit the dev team needs shielding from comes from the dev team itself. Your devs will need to be told “no” sometimes and that’s ok. A really difficult but high-leverage skill is knowing when and how to do it in a way that keeps them trusting you instead of resenting you. (A huge part of the “how” is having built trust in the first place - if they already think of you as someone who makes their lives easier, they’ll be much more willing to buy that that’s what you’re doing when you tell them “no.”)

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

Xarn posted:

haha, what?

Yeah... when someone says “can I look at code” I will point them to a web view of the thing they’re talking about since I don’t have any cover to say “no not possible” but man do I have my feelings about the wisdom of a product manager asking to do this.

My team has been doing a real slow bungle job on a quagmire of a project so I’m not totally unsympathetic to product losing some trust but let’s stay in our lanes a bit. If it’s really this bad product should be asking for our heads to roll or trying to switch to a different team, demanding to understand bugs and fixes at the level of looking at code is unproductive and a weird flex.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

YanniRotten posted:

Yeah... when someone says “can I look at code” I will point them to a web view of the thing they’re talking about since I don’t have any cover to say “no not possible” but man do I have my feelings about the wisdom of a product manager asking to do this.

My team has been doing a real slow bungle job on a quagmire of a project so I’m not totally unsympathetic to product losing some trust but let’s stay in our lanes a bit. If it’s really this bad product should be asking for our heads to roll or trying to switch to a different team, demanding to understand bugs and fixes at the level of looking at code is unproductive and a weird flex.

Yeah uh that's pretty profoundly offside.

Discussing the solution, sure, if I'd been loving up recently I'd expect some amount of review on "is this performing to requirements?". But someone with no dev experience looking over my shoulder to make sure I'm writing if statements correctly is a profound enough level of distrust that I'd be escalating, and if it had management buy-in I'd be looking for a new team/job.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

ChickenWing posted:

But someone with no dev experience looking over my shoulder to make sure I'm writing if statements correctly is a profound enough level of distrust that I'd be escalating, and if it had management buy-in I'd be looking for a new team/job.

At my last job that person was the CEO of the company :v:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Lol I'm tech literate enough to scrape together dumb python scripts and I'd never even think to ask for a code review. Holy poo poo

Xguard86 posted:

I don't blame any dev for seeing POs and PMs as useless, because so many of them are terrible

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Can you have this special case added to our standard behavior today? Should just be an if/then thing

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
One of our C-levels used to be a coder (...20 years ago...) and will offer coding advice sometimes. One of my coworkers has a fantastic strategy for dealing with it, which is explaining exactly why the solution that worked in 1999 will no longer work, which usually takes quite a while when he checks to make sure he has understanding at every step. The end result is that our C-level has stopped offering so many code solutions.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Thats inspiring. If I ever become a C-level, 100% of my coding advise will be based on 90s-era Perl.

“Have you tried adding more regular expressions?”

“Pipe the output to this Bash script, it’ll mostly work.”

“What the gently caress is scope?”

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

rt4 posted:

Can you have this special case added to our standard behavior today? Should just be an if/then thing

We can just reuse (something completely different, non reusable, exists inside a different app in a different language, not exposed by API or library)

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
CEO of my last company telling me how to improve the video analysis algorithm I was working on: "You should look at how the pixels change over time."

CEO of the company before that demanding to know why my team wasn't working faster in a new framework: "It's just like laying bricks. They should be able to lay bricks faster than this."

Thank god the CEO at my current much larger company doesn't know me from Adam.

I've had good PMs (both product and project) and I've had bad, and I'd rather have a dozen bad PMs than one out-of-touch C-suite cornering me in my office and giving me inane loving advice during critical situations.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

YanniRotten posted:

We can just reuse (something completely different, non reusable, exists inside a different app in a different language, not exposed by API or library)

I had a VIP tell me we needed to completely rework my project's core data model with two weeks until release to make it compatible with a tiny library.

Related, we just launched a new product after an 8 week whiteboard-to-production dev cycle :shepface:

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Pedestrian Xing posted:

I had a VIP tell me we needed to completely rework my project's core data model with two weeks until release to make it compatible with a tiny library.

This is exactly where a good project manager is worth their weight in gold.

"Sure, you can have what you want. It's going to take two additional weeks, and cost $80,000 extra, versus a planned three days and $15k to reimplement the subset of library functionality we need against our current data model. If we go forward with the refactor do we want to cut other features, or eat the time and cost hits?" is a great way to shut down pointless tweaks.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

vonnegutt posted:

One of our C-levels used to be a coder (...20 years ago...)
the CTO of a previous company did some basic dabbling in actual development but was mostly an algorithms guy

on deploying a huge infrastructure to do video and audio fingerprinting on a global scale: "can't we just port it to app engine? I wrote an Amazon price calculator that has hundreds of hits a week and that runs just fine on it so idk why it should be so complicated"

downout
Jul 6, 2009

YanniRotten posted:

I had a person (executive level of course) state they wanted to "see the data". They meant the stuff in the DB. This is and always will be a giant red flag.

Ya sure, here's some creds. Go hog wild.

downout fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 15, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

A friend got this from a recruiter:

quote:

I get that this position is a step down from your current job, but you are exactly what they are looking for, so it's a perfect fit in that sense.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

ultrafilter posted:

That's honest at least?

I still kick myself for not taking this "step down" from a senior position to a mid-level data engineer position with a pay cut for something SUPER interesting, related to my dissertation topic (which was a surprise) with good work-life balance. I imagine any recruiter reaching out for that won't be THAT situation, at least.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 16, 2020

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

That seems like there's a positive aspect in there which the recruiter somehow didn't think to express - if your friend is exactly what they're looking for they'll probably value them (your friend) pretty highly, right? So if your friend's current place is better in all other ways but doesn't make your friend feel appreciated that could be a valid argument.

Not one that'd convince me to leave a better job for an otherwise worse one, mind you, but still.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

ultrafilter posted:

Honestly if I’d gotten a message like that from a recruiter while at my previous job, I would have been all over it. My previous job got to the point where it was so bad I would have taken a lower level job with worse pay (even though I was already severely underpaid) just to escape and still be in a position where I got to use my skills and experience.

Then again, by the time I turned in my two weeks notice, I wasn’t that far off from ragequitting to go flip burgers at Wendy’s and/or start taking up furry porn commissions.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It also doesn’t help that seniority varies from company to company and someone’s “senior” dev could be someone else’s “junior.”

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

Protocol7 posted:

It also doesn’t help that seniority varies from company to company and someone’s “senior” dev could be someone else’s “junior.”

I made a lateral (compensation-wise) move from Senior to SE2 and maybe it’s just me but it feels a lot different. It feels way less egalitarian when a team has a single “lead”, a couple of SE2s and a few SE1s, than when there’s a lead but also a couple of seniors in with the mix of junior titles.

YMMV but Senior felt like more of a decision making role where the team cared about your input and ideas and SE2 is a “not lead” role grinding out whatever they told you to do.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Space Gopher posted:

This is exactly where a good project manager is worth their weight in gold.

"Sure, you can have what you want. It's going to take two additional weeks, and cost $80,000 extra, versus a planned three days and $15k to reimplement the subset of library functionality we need against our current data model. If we go forward with the refactor do we want to cut other features, or eat the time and cost hits?" is a great way to shut down pointless tweaks.

This falls down if the requester is a big enough deal and doesn't want to hear it. The owner several jobs ago would tell the product team "well since we're going to be late already just add <unwritten, new feature> to the release too"

If they're not, this really is an area where a pm can shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

YanniRotten posted:

I made a lateral (compensation-wise) move from Senior to SE2 and maybe it’s just me but it feels a lot different. It feels way less egalitarian when a team has a single “lead”, a couple of SE2s and a few SE1s, than when there’s a lead but also a couple of seniors in with the mix of junior titles.

YMMV but Senior felt like more of a decision making role where the team cared about your input and ideas and SE2 is a “not lead” role grinding out whatever they told you to do.

I'm probably a dumbass, but what does SE2 and SE1 stand for?