Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have the title of "Lead AI/ML Engineer" right now and that really triggers my impostor syndrome especially after we hired two guys who properly understand linear algebra and mathematics.

It's fine though because I get to focus on PoC style apps which is my favorite thing to do anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Protocol7 posted:

I have the title of "Lead AI/ML Engineer" right now and that really triggers my impostor syndrome especially after we hired two guys who properly understand linear algebra and mathematics.

It's fine though because I get to focus on PoC style apps which is my favorite thing to do anyway.

Sounds like there's an opening at Apple if you're interested (in-person only)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
As much as part of me wants a FAANG on my resume oh hell naw, I like my cushy work from home gig :v:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I gave myself the "architect" job title two jobs ago because my job was to look at all the piecemeal subsystems that we'd developed over the past 15 years and go, "okay, how do we unfuck this?" An example accomplishment was quadrupling the test coverage! (Of course, we only had like 50 tests to start with. A big thing I was trying to unfuck was the existing architecture's impossibility of writing unit tests.)

Then I got laid off because "we don't need an architect".

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Protocol7 posted:

I like my cushy work from home gig :v:

You can get one of those at FAANG, with even more money.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Armauk posted:

I thought they were all marching people back into the distraction filled Covid commuter mines (except for Facebook)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

bi crimes posted:

I thought they were all marching people back into the distraction filled Covid commuter mines (except for Facebook)

It depends on how important you are. Weirdly, all of the C levels continue to dial into company all hands from home???

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Armauk posted:

The joke was that Apple's director of ML resigned because of their return to office policy.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

prom candy posted:

I had a Senior Software Architect title once I think it basically meant "this guy has been here the longest and knows how all our stuff works"

I personally don't like terms like architect or engineer. I'm a software developer, or computer programmer if you want to kick it old school.

software simian, thank you very much

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m a Professional Corporation Scammer, judging from how good I am at my job.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

prom candy posted:

I personally don't like terms like architect or engineer. I'm a software developer, or computer programmer if you want to kick it old school.
"Engineer" is fine particularly if you have an engineering degree. If you come from a strictly compsci background though maybe you prefer something else.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

"Engineer" is fine particularly if you have an engineering degree. If you come from a strictly compsci background though maybe you prefer something else.

Not Good Enough For A Math Degree, What A Loser according to my university's CS program.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I have a two year diploma in advertising lol

edit: and half a semester of political science before I realized I could drop out and make a career out of my web dev hustle

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Armauk posted:

Today a Meta recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn. Coincidence? :tinfoil:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Protocol7 posted:

No, but they're having trouble getting people to work at the Old People Fascist Radicalization plant, so either tell them to bite a curb, or demand an obscene premium.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Pollyanna posted:

I’m a Professional Corporation Scammer, judging from how good I am at my job.

:emptyquote:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Volmarias posted:

No, but they're having trouble getting people to work at the Old People Fascist Radicalization plant, so either tell them to bite a curb, or demand an obscene premium.

For the record I would never work for Meta, not even if they could beat my current salary.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
I don't think I would even be able get to past the interview, so it's not even a question for me. No, I won't study leetcodes.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Protocol7 posted:

I'm glad my catch-all blood sacrifice helped someone.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Had a fella send me a message today on Slack asking if I'd prefer to meet on Pesto or Zoom.

W-why not just Slack? The platform you're messaging me on? That there's a lil' call button in the top right on?

Startup culture is the worst. I foresee a resume update soon.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

Had a fella send me a message today on Slack asking if I'd prefer to meet on Pesto or Zoom.

W-why not just Slack? The platform you're messaging me on? That there's a lil' call button in the top right on?

Startup culture is the worst. I foresee a resume update soon.

If it’s a large group of people meeting in separate places, slack used to suck for that. To the point a team used slack for all communication except standup was in Teams.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's just a one on one! A meet and greet with a newer employee.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Slack video calls are garbage that don't work.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
The number of people that care about the specific video chat software astounds me. Just choose whichever one you want from the company supported list and put it in the meeting invite.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

asur posted:

The number of people that care about the specific video chat software astounds me. Just choose whichever one you want from the company supported list and put it in the meeting invite.

my company was trying to use zoom with microsoft offfice and now half the time the meeting invites go out and it accidentally creates both a teams meeting and a zoom meeting and people have to guess which one the meeting organizer meant. starting to hate microsoft teams for that reason.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Look at all of these casuals not just adding a video call to their Google Calendar meeting with one button click :smoogle:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

The last time someone said “can we hop on a quick Skype,” I threw up on them, and the next day they were fired.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I want to know more about Pesto. No I will not google it

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Volmarias posted:

I’ve heard they’ve freezed hiring under E5 or so and even rescinded offers in the past weekish.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I want to know more about Pesto. No I will not google it

Mash up some fresh basil, hard cheese, nuts, and salt with a mortar and pestle, and blend it with olive oil. Experiment with the ratios until you find one that's just right for you.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Bongo Bill posted:

Mash up some fresh basil, hard cheese, nuts, and salt with a mortar and pestle, and blend it with olive oil. Experiment with the ratios until you find one that's just right for you.

GARLIC

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also it’s amazing how much pesto in the stores just replaces every ingredient with a cheaper one. Spinach for basil, vegetable oil for olive oil, almonds for pine nuts.

Reminds me of some places I’ve worked to be honest.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Bongo Bill posted:

Thank you, I feel blessed with this suggestion

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Pine nuts are expensive, you can experiment with other nuts too. Also be wary of pine mouth.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That goes without saying, so I went without saying it. But, yes, the garlic is very important.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

For people who work for big companies, how long does it take for them to roll out the new macOS versions? It seems to take us at least six months which seems objectively terrible but maybe that’s typical?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That seems pretty reasonable for a general rollout. But I would expect a limited/canary rollout a bit before then, and letting it soak in canary for long enough to make sure there are no issues is one of the reasons it would take six months.

I'd also expect them to be accommodating if you had a business reason (that's not just "I must have the newest shiny") to be on the latest release sooner than that.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

smackfu posted:

For people who work for big companies, how long does it take for them to roll out the new macOS versions? It seems to take us at least six months which seems objectively terrible but maybe that’s typical?

I'm not at a big company, but every time I've installed a new version of OS X/macOS on launch day it has been tremendously broken in at least one major way that has disrupted my workflow. These issues are usually patched away within six months.

My current system is from 2017 (new one is ordered but has been delayed 6 months due to reasons [Apple blames covid]). I'm on Big Sur but won't upgrade any further because it's already having a hard time keeping up with all the new bells and whistles.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Yeah we delay about 6 months and it's pretty much by popular demand because the updates so often break poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The last few macOS versions have all had some pretty major breaking changes for sysadmin things. It used to be pretty standard to deploy macOS to machines via imaging, and big sur broke that completely. The new official Apple-supported way to deploy things via a MDM is actually quite good, but it was potentially a lot of work to adopt and has changed significantly in each version of macOS. Taking 6 months to be ready to start rolling it out would be slow, but not insanely so.

Fortunately, you don't actually want to install new versions quickly anyway because of how broken they are. I personally never upgrade to new macOS versions on my primary machine until Xcode starts requiring them.