Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy working here and my boss is actually a pretty cool guy. He just comes from a bygone era where hacking was how everything was done I suppose.

Coding things on the internet was a lot more fun when no one knew what they were doing and "whatever hack works without crashing the server or users' browsers" was the most potent and often used weapon in your arsenal.

Come to think of it, we're still in more or less the same situation, everyone just has a lot of opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Reading this post stresses me out.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Iverron posted:

Anyway, one of the regular people on their panel is Jonathan Stark, who is a very vocal proponent of nixing hourly billing. Hourly billing and the processes that surround it make me want to strangle myself more than just about anything else with this job, so I'm obviously interested in the subject.

As a freelance web dev I am in agreement with this, but only for smaller projects. If something is in the sub-$50k range it probably involves technology and platforms I've used before, or project goals that are similar to ones I've achieved in the past. Therefore they're easy enough to estimate and there's very little danger that I'll lose money on the project. If it's above that range then I'm probably contracting out work or dealing with a lot of other unknowns, and proposing a defined scope with a set price becomes a little dangerous.

At the end of the day it boils down to how you want to have conversations with clients. There's always something that gets added to a project late in the game, or an element that takes longer to code than you expected and now you're a little outside of where you'd want to be in terms of hours. Your ability to give in these scenarios is important for client relations. I find it's easier to pad a scoped project's budget a little to accommodate for these events rather than padding an hourly estimate, especially if you're updating clients on your hours used. When the client inevitably asks for something that's out of scope, with a scoped project you can say yes (if you have the padding) and make them happy, or you can say no and point to the scope in the contract you both agreed to. With hours you're pointing to hours remaining in your project and it's easy for the conversation to turn sour ("Well why did it take you so long to code X before? Can't you just be a little more efficient with your time and fit this in?"). It doesn't always happen that way, but it can.

I may have repeated things he said in that article... it's early and I didn't read it yet. :)

e: Also, at my previous job I saw the worst case scenario – my employer would propose set scopes that were based on hours, but my boss wouldn't tell clients that they were hour based. Clients were under the impression they were scope based. We tracked hours internally and when we started getting close to our maximum my boss would respond to any new requests with, "we're going to go over hours, if you want X you have to pay us more." This was about the worst thing possible for client relations. I've been in contact with a handful of our old clients after I left and it's a mix of folks who like the firm (if the project remained in scope and that conversation never happened), and folks who loathe the firm and will actively try to steer people away from working with them (if that conversation did happen).

So I have a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to hourly work.

kedo fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 12, 2016

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

taqueso posted:

I guess they didn't come running after you? Did you attempt to strike that part of the contract before walking?

A company that thinks putting something like that in a contract is a good idea is going to be terrible to work for regardless as to whether or not they'd strike it.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Backlogs groomed more frequently than bodies.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

God don’t get me started on slack. My biggest client loves slack and uses it to the exclusion of any other platform. If I email someone, they respond in slack. Important files are posted and pinned in a channel. Projects live and die by thread participation.

Except they have a 30 day retention policy because Legal Said So, and all of my projects with them are 3+ months. So every important document they send me eventually gets deleted, completely destroying any usefulness the platform might have for project management. I just take everything they post (including the messages they so desperately want deleted after 30 days) and put them in either my Dropbox or Google Drive so I can actually have records of LITERALLY ANYTHING about a project, because even though the organization apparently only has a one month attention span, they constantly ask me, “oh hey do you still have that file I posted on slack back in May 2018?”

Yes, I do, and I will charge my hourly rate if you want it.

Also forget having slack open while trying to code anything. Constant pings and a bouncing dock icon, ugh…

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

The desktop app doesn’t have tabs.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Plorkyeran posted:

You don't have to install a separate whitelabeled copy of chrome for each web app you use just because it exists.

lol, okay, but I already have to have a dozen tabs pinned in Chrome for email, project management tools, github, etc, plus however many tabs I need for whatever I’m developing, so is more tabs really a good solution? Sounds like a pain in the rear end.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

My favorite new bot is the Notion bot that pings a channel whenever anyone makes an edit to a file, no matter how miniscule. One of the PM's for one of the companies I work with loves Notion and spends all day editing files, so you can imagine the results.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm pretty sure 90% of all developers suffer from crippling imposter syndrome, and code reviews reinforce the idea that they really have no idea what they're doing on a near-daily basis.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

The last time someone said “can we hop on a quick Skype,” I threw up on them, and the next day they were fired.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

smackfu posted:

For people who work for big companies, how long does it take for them to roll out the new macOS versions? It seems to take us at least six months which seems objectively terrible but maybe that’s typical?

I'm not at a big company, but every time I've installed a new version of OS X/macOS on launch day it has been tremendously broken in at least one major way that has disrupted my workflow. These issues are usually patched away within six months.

My current system is from 2017 (new one is ordered but has been delayed 6 months due to reasons [Apple blames covid]). I'm on Big Sur but won't upgrade any further because it's already having a hard time keeping up with all the new bells and whistles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Let them waste enough time to get it to the point where you can user test it, then test it and let the users tell your CEO it’s stupid?