Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Pedestrian Xing posted:

I learned today that apparently management wants to start using TFS to compare our performances against one another. How big of a red flag is this? :confused:

Update your resume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I encountered this once. I added a broad rule to filter the chain and replies all to my trash, intending to remove it later. I forgot about the rule and it trashed many future emails. I realized I was missing a few pertinent messages, but also, so much garbage that would have added to my cognitive load was filtered. Now I basically filter everything to the trash except certain key-words and any message from my boss or boss' boss. Highly recommended for those stuck navigating a corporate enterprise. Anything important should be documented in a wiki or in a ticket.

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 27, 2019

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

smackfu posted:

You are a bad person.

You don't understand, I am an engineer in a sales organization. I would get at least 20 e-mails a day from being included in user group spam, most of which were ALL CAPS EMAILS asking which solution architect owned which client. That and all of the tool chain spam. I went from at least 50 emails a day in my primary inbox to just a few.

Also, they all go into a box called "clutter", which I review periodically. But the big red notice badge isn't staring at me with a triple digit number in the mornings now!

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 27, 2019

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

A surprising amount of people don't brush their tongue. That thing stinks if you don't scrub it. Brush your tongues, people.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

This thing reared its ugly head again.

Management consulting + "Agile" = :negative:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I started a new job back in June and holy crap is my new product manager amazing. I don't have to wrangle requirements or have bullshit meetings with marketing. I give input on technical feasibility and slicing up the work, otherwise I am focused on software development, code reviews and mentorship. My whole career before this has been one big dumpster fire of trying to dance around and manage idiotic sales/marketing people and useless PMs. I started thinking the problem was with me, but after working with a good PM, I'm validating in knowing that I was right all along!

Still have yet to work with a project manager that wasn't basically useless.

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 9, 2019

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I use it to indicate code or urls or anything else that I pasted or intend to have copied and pasted or searched, :thunk:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

downout posted:

So you're leaving the company, and they are going to keep paying you for a project you were on? This makes no sense without more context. Even then it sounds like a very unusual edge case that isn't even useful as an anecdote to the current conversation.

I’ve worked at large companies that would lock you into a bonus payout even if you left. The last place I was at would pay out if you were there for at least six months of the year, and they’d prorate it.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Has anyone used Notion as an alternative to Confluence? Our docs are spread across Confluence, Google docs, GitHub wikis, and more, and we don’t particularly love any of those locations, they all have their faults. Some people on my team and I thought Notion looked nice, and a few have used at other places, but we never pitched adopting it, we joked about how we would be adding to the problem with yet another place

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > The Cavern of COBOL > Working in Development: I just don't feel like working

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I miss being able to take meetings remotely on my phone. There’s such a huge difference between being stuck on camera or just having to listen and respond when needed

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Rubellavator posted:

it's awesome being the phone guy, but awful being on the other side and having to deal with phone guy

we were all phone guy, and I didn’t realize what I had and that I would lose it

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

it's sincerely surprising to me that folks itt think that anything can be built, released, marketed, and sold without being involved in meetings

like, do you just want to be ticket jockeys and have no say in the work you do?

The big meetings devolve into vision bullshit and circular conjecturing and speculation, especially as more management and director types are pulled in. May just be that every org I’ve been in has been dysfunctional but big meetings have seemed to serve more as pageantry and signaling ones importance rather than for decision making and deep work necessary to make complex things. For my projects to succeed, I need to organize the pieces I’m responsible for more directly with the people that matter and most of that has been through long form living doc collaboration and a series of separate 1:1s with people that get into the weeds. Bigger meetings near kick-off and release/increments can give the less useful types a feeling of skin in the game and good will towards the project but that’s as much as needed, more involvement beyond that yields diminishing returns and usually becomes actively harmful to the success of a hard thing being accomplished. I’ll eat the status meetings between the two and make sure engineers on my projects are protected and have open calendars that are clear. And if a meeting doesn’t have a clear agenda with a decision that needs to be made, I unilaterally cancel it or remove as many people from it as I can

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 28, 2021

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

The latter sounds like a dead end, I'd only take it over the former if I were nearing some type of retirement

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Rubellavator posted:

You guys are morons.

It’s been a phrase for decades at least, I remember it from working in retail 15 years ago. What kind of rock do you goons live under?

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 14, 2022

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Referring to values makes my brain check out in a self preserving way to avoid retaining in memory the fart huffing psychic harm that comes from people collectively doing the duplicitous corporate ceremonial posturing over them. It’s so gross and insincere. But my current company’s is okay, they’re just stuff like “when in doubt, do what feels right”. Some people really get off on the values, or we have people pay them lip service in interviews, but this is the most inoffensive experience I’ve had with them. It’d be nice to just do work and not have this layer of poo poo that we all have to pretend around, but a situation where that’s the case probably has no insulation between me and the owners, which realistically means poor working conditions and lots of overtime.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

“Culture” interviews at my employer have become a taboo way of referring to them, as DEI folks said they result in people hiring people who are like themselves, essentially resulting in a bunch of upper class white and Asian guys from “good” schools. Our culture panels were already structured with rubrics before and focus heavily on behavioral questions with specific situations. So all the hiring managers did was rename our “culture” panel to “collaboration” panel, leaving the questions and grading unchanged, and apparently that’s all it took to get the thumbs up from DEI. :thunk:

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 18, 2022

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

chglcu posted:

God, I hate the behavioral interviewing style. “Tell me about a time you did something so loving common that anyone who remembers the details of a specific incident is either telling a well rehearsed lie, a bullshit artist, or a bit of a weirdo.” Never done well in one of those, and honestly have no real interest in getting better at them since I fundamentally disagree with the practice. An interview should be a conversation between humans, not whatever that nonsense is.

Yeah, but you should be prepared for common questions interviewers will want to ask you. They're trying to evaluate your fit in 45 minutes or an hour or whatever. Usually you're going to be asked some usual suspect questions. "Tell me about a hard decisions you had to make, who benefited from that decision?" "Tell me about a time you had difficulty with a coworker. How did you handle it? What was the resolution" etc. They may feel bullshitty, but they'll produce more signal than just shooting the poo poo for an hour and hiring off of vibes. I've had dozens of red flags get raised from these questions over at least 100 hundred interviews I've conducted with these types of simple questions, often from candidates you think would fit well based on being similar to you or having similar interests and background or whatever. If someone acts perplexed by these pretty basic questions, it's a signal that they haven't done basic preparation that one can reasonably expect out of a candidate that has decided to interview for a new job. Yeah, socially savvy people can cook up bullshit, and the stories can't be verified for accuracy, which requires the interviewers to have experience and to be able to determine if they're being told stories. It's not perfect, but you can cut a surprising number of candidates out with some really basic questions.

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 18, 2022

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

fourwood posted:

It’s actually a signal that all interviewing is garbage.

how do you propose hiring for a role on your team? someone you have to work with for 40 hours a week who can either make your life easier or make it awful? assume you can't just hire your friends or people you have worked with

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

Google the most common questions. Generically or tailored to your targets. There's usually enough overlap that the top 5-10 is good for basically anything you might get

Google the STAR framework for how to make your answers cohesive.

Write out answers on a piece of paper using said framework.

Practice saying them out loud at least once. The less comfortable you are at speaking the more practice you should do.

You can just use your notes in an interview, probably just writing them down will make them fresh enough. This is what people who are good at those questions do.

Compared to all the other interview circus tricks and leetcode bullshit, it's super easy.

Do this and you’ll smoke behavioral interviews. It takes so much less time to prep for compared to the leetcode grind bullshit.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

mitztronic posted:

Welp I just got my new machine for my new job, and it appears to be a (used?) MacBook pro from 2019. New role is a senior software position, I’m a little confused about it. The hiring manager said they just got M1s, I was looking forward to trying one out.

Obviously there’s nothing inherently wrong with an 2019, but I even my personal machine is a 2020 (I wanted to grab the last intel mbp). I thought maybe their IT wanted to stick to intel but it’s not the 2020 so that’s not it. It seems weird to me to recycle a computer like this, so I’m holding hope it wasn’t. I can’t check the battery cycle count until Monday.

Anybody ever received an old unit for an engineering role? This is a first for me.

I got used MacBooks in my past three roles

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

kedo posted:

My favorite new bot is the Notion bot that pings a channel whenever anyone makes an edit to a file, no matter how miniscule. One of the PM's for one of the companies I work with loves Notion and spends all day editing files, so you can imagine the results.

That person ends up looking really busy and productive!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Protocol7 posted:

Company's trialing some new offshore resources for whatever reason.

We have a pretty large app that was built before React FCs so it's all class components.

The new offshore team wants to refactor the entire thing to FCs before they touch new features.

Like dude I love my FCs too but class components are still perfectly fine even in React v18.

Offshoring sucks and management will learn the hard way.

Just kidding! They won’t learn

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Protocol7 posted:

Nah we're just telling them tough, the class components have to stay. But new components can be developed as FCs if they prefer.

For my other job the offshore team there decided to update a client demo environment the morning before a client demo after everything had already been dry run, so I got to rip into them for that as well.

Don't work for startups that employ offshore teams I guess.

We'll have a product manager here in the states work entirely with offshore developers. The offshore developers will take inputs from product management and output the code we want. And we'll save a ton of money!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

code style should be enforced with static code analysis. If it’s not important enough to write or import a rule for, it’s not a blocker. Though this can depend upon what is included in your scope of code style.

I don’t know that exiting loops early or optimizations count as code style though. It’s annoying but I’d probably make the change if it’s a minor enough effort

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I can understand this because I've had reviewers be very Socratic when they really meant "do it this way." They learn to not to take that approach with me because I will just answer their question and only make a change if it's requested explicitly.

Same, you teach people how to interact with you. I don’t have patience for the asking questions trail of treats to the desired outcome. Be direct or stop wasting my time

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Armauk posted:

You can get one of those at FAANG, with even more money.

I thought they were all marching people back into the distraction filled Covid commuter mines (except for Facebook)

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

My company has a meetings heavy culture and basically everyone has their camera on always and it sucks. I spent years on conference calls sharing decks or demoing to just voices until the pandemic, it was fine and I don't see the issue. People will talk if they need to say something or have a question. If no one is talking, your meeting sucks and could probably have just been a shared document or you need to pare down your meeting audience. Yeah, a bunch of names in the zoom client floating around sucks, but if people don't turn their cameras on, stop staring at the zoom client, pretend like you're on a phone call.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

CPColin posted:

Yeah, so many meetings are delayed several weeks "so everybody can attend" and then involve just two or three people talking and the rest sitting on mute the whole time. Then the next one gets delayed so everybody can attend.

And if you try to point out how inefficient this is, you get the Not A Team Player label! Oh well, guess I'll just clean out my email archive folder for an hour. Again.

My meeting is important, everyone must care about it!

Ugh, we have such engagement issues on this team! Why don't people care about what is obviously important???

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I'm working on a fat Rails monolith with React on the front end (along with some old legacy views that have jquery sprinkled on top, coffeescript, etc...). The repo is getting pretty heavy, we're getting close to a million lines of code (including crap like stylesheets, tests, canned testing data, it isn't THAT heavy). We migrated our component library forward a major version and it took us a couple of months to get it done, and I'm sweating when thinking about what that migration process looks like if we need to do it again 2 years down the line, given that we continue to grow and people are continuing to add new views and pages.

I think we need to pull in something like NX or Turborepo and am going to start writing some docs on it to work towards some architectural decision record thing to propose, but most of what I've seen on these types of tools are usually in a neat and tidy green field project, always with a js backend. How silly would it be to add these into a monorepo also containing the rails back end? Does the js monorepo tool not need to be concerned with rails/java/whatever else that isn't js? Anyone pull this into a monolith project that's become somewhat of a defacto monorepo without the nice tooling? These questions kind of sound dumb, but I had a meeting with a couple of curmudgeonly Rails dogma guys in the company that hate react and js in general and made me feel like I was a complete moron when I was asking them about how they felt regarding adding monorepo tooling

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 21, 2022

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I've been using ChatGPT a lot over the past couple weeks. It's not all-devs-are-fired good, but I can paste in little code snippets i anonymize and ask it if it there's a refactor opportunity it sees for rubber ducking, or ask it to add comments to what the code does, and it's been super helpful. It's also been better for a lot of things I would search google for too, like the name of a method in a library, etc. It's great for doing some of the stuff that's time consuming but not particularly difficult (like adding code comments). It's not at the level where I can just copy paste everything it outputs, as it is often wrong and almost always redundant, but it's still making me more productive.

I wouldn't go through pasting all of our files in there for comments, since most of that is low value and obvious stuff, but it's been useful for scripts in dusty corners of some apps we own and barely touch, or some scripts that are used in CI and are difficult for all of the folks who are afraid of the build to go parse, use and maintain. Also good for documentation and how-to stuff, where you need some definitional table setting for explaining things to someone who is totally new. Again, needs a lot of editing, but better than staring at a blank page with a blinking cursor.

It's also great for slack announcements when I'm turning a thing on and I need something phrased in a generic, friendly corporate voice. I kind of hate how useful it's been and how I keep using it more and more every day. I'm wondering if I should be using GitHub's co-pilot for some of this stuff instead, with the understanding that much of its output is unusable and all of the caveats and conditions that apply.

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 22, 2023

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Mega Comrade posted:

Eh I've seen it respond with such glaring errors I just don't trust it with anything.

On a side note for those who do like it, would you be willing to pay for it? They claim they want to keep a free tier but it's still during the hype phase, I see that going.
The current trial sub is $20 a month.

My boss lets me expense it, I’m subbed

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

wilderthanmild posted:

My longest tenure was around 4.5 years two times for two companies. Both times I was burnt out and missing out on lots of salary despite promotions.

I'd love to be able to stay with one company indefinitely, but in my experience you lose money and your situation gets shittier as the continue to expect more and more from you. Especially if you work for a company where the only path up is the management track.

This is what I'm dealing with now. I've been at my current employer for four years, which is my longest tenure. Despite being promoted to principal, I'm underpaid. I've had a couple of 3% raises and an 8% raise that came with my promotion, so I'm a bit behind the curve now. The type of work I get to do is becoming shittier and shittier, as new teams form around me and are staffed with new hires and they get to do the more interesting work, I'm stuck with mundane crap and teams struggling to work with old crappy legacy code that I know best (despite not having written any of it). I've seriously considered looking around and have shot my application off to a couple of places, but haven't gone into full time job hunting mode yet, because my job is 100% remote and I'm able to work 40 hours or less a week. The team I'm on is also rotting a bit, I'm surrounded by people who have learned helplessness and the other useful folks that knew things have all either been promoted to management or have left.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

America Inc. posted:

Let's say I was interviewing at company X and got turned down. I interview with company Y, that is in the same industry for a similar job, and get an offer. If I see company X still has open positions that I didn't interview for, should I go back to the recruiter from company X and say "I got this offer, let's do another interview."?

don't do this

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I pasted a few react components to chatGPT and told it to generate some reacting testing library tests for them for me. What it generated was 80% of the way there. I had to fix some busted imports, remove a few cases that weren't necessary, clean up some mocking and add some cases, but it was still better than not having it. I hesitate to recommend it to my coworkers or others in this codebase though, because a lot of them already don't know what they're doing and would just take its results and commit them as long as the build didn't fail. Lacking trust in my coworkers judgment isn't chatGPT's fault though

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

That's a similar approach I usually take. I'll ask clarifying questions, and paste error messages I encounter and ask how it would change its approach due to whatever runtime or buildtime error is encountered

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Itaipava posted:

Not directing this at anyone in particular but to me it's interesting that people are hyped about turning some of their tasks from "develop" to "code review". Personally I like programming way more, and approach code reviews like I approach taking medicine and going to the gym: a necessary evil.

Maybe the fact that it's a soulless computer receiving the "reviews" makes the process less mentally taxing.

i get to offload a bunch of tedium and produce higher quality code. i don't have to talk to my annoying coworkers with it either. win-win. the time i'd spent futzing with yet another unit or integation test i can instead spend picking my nose in a booked conference room while i scroll around on my phone

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

asur posted:

Am I misunderstanding how people are asking ChatGPT to write tests? If you give it the code and ask it to write tests then you aren't actually testing your code as it will match any mistakes with incorrect tests. I guess in theory you can review the test code, but at least personally I'm way less likely to catch mistakes in a review as opposed to writing test cases where I know what should happen and have to write that out.

sometimes ill paste single functions to it, other times i'll enumerate the cases that need to be tested, the code, paste them to chatgpt, and basically review the results and make tweaks. im still writing some but it's the trickier bits or anything that's super domain specific or sensitive. you'd be a fool to trust it completely but it's a much faster way to stand some things up

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 4, 2023

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I’m in a special group at work right now that’s approved for usage. But I don’t know what policy they’re cooking up for the whole company, I have no idea how they foolproof it. Then again, I constantly see people breaking current policies with their unapproved browser extensions, unapproved password managers, productivity apps. Hell, I’ve seen some people dump entire files of code into suspect webpages that format code. I’m glad I’m not in security, it’d be very depressing

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

im using something relatively bleeding edge that doesn't have much on SO or in google results (which is usually trash anyways), and chatGPT has been useful in this project so far as well

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 5, 2023