Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Do we all need to learn how to use Python?
https://insights.stackoverflow.com/...e-growth-python
https://stackoverflow.blog/2017/09/06/incredible-growth-python/

Just when I was getting the hang of this java thing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Anyone here experienced with RStudio?
https://www.rstudio.com/

What kind of thing is this?

Reason for asking is that they have a bunch of remote positions that seem like it could work for people in this thread...

Keetron fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Sep 13, 2017

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Steve French posted:

Yes. I've spent most of the last 4 years doing exactly that, though I've been doing more of the "building services" part than the containerization part. I'd be happy to answer specific questions, but perhaps you might find this helpful (written by a coworker):

https://medium.com/strava-engineering/mesos-at-strava-5ac98d00dacf

Oh, you work at Strava? Awesome app!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

CPColin posted:

Why in the poo poo does Visual Studio not flag unused code by default? I'm trying to figure out what the hell this class does and apparently half of its private members are completely unreferenced. Say what you will about Eclipse, but at least it warns you pretty quickly when stuff isn't used!

I will say about Eclipse it is a steaming pile of poo poo.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

CPColin posted:

[I] have no idea what anything's priority would be.

Just like most other PO's.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

What is the business value of the refactor?
Also: probably his design you eant to kill.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Gounads posted:

How many of the other scrum teams overcommit and roll stories from one sprint to the next?

God I hate this so much.

Person 1: "So you mean the last 4 sprints we hit about 50 points each sprint but we never make the sprint because the PO is insisting we put 75 points in the sprint and then acts disappointed we don't do more than 50."
Person 2: "well, we could start over estimating stories?"
Person 3: "You mean we didn't already?"
Person 4: "Can we have a coffee break?"

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

:munch:

I recommend you turn down all offers for my entertainment.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

If we put all the engineers in a room and throw pizza in, magic happens, right?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

A friend runs a company and one of his developers asked for a second wfh day.
"Is this so you can smoke more weed during the week?"
"Kinda...?"
"Whatever suits you. Approved."

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Nah, a company in Europe about a decade ago. I wonder if they are still in business but I have seen no signs of the demise so who knows? I'll ask him!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

So wanting to be a better person than you currently are makes you a bad person. Can we win this anymore or should we sinners repent?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

A developer taking it easy and who knows what he is doing is much more valuable than a developer who goes fast without a clue.
Appears you know what you are doing.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Looking forward to peck my colleagues to death tomorrow.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Amusing, most of the advice is as relevant to on-site as well as remote.

- Work is where you work, home is where you not work
- Dress up
- Drink after 5
- Make sure to talk to your colleagues and get some face time in
- Have yourself heard in meetings
- ADD is a hindrance in getting work done
- Work to contribute, not to be a chair warmer

Everything considered, I suck at working remote. There is kids coming home, a super powerful PC with distracting stuff like games and music and almost nobody talking to me so when my goals are not super clear I tend to gently caress around until that time it is socially acceptable to be no longer online (16:15).

Some more content: Our team has 4 centralized environments for stuff, 2 for dev and 2 for test. These are stubbed, there is another integrated environment for pre-prod acceptance testing. This week I discovered weird poo poo.
- The entire suit of backend tests were commented out in the Jenkinsfile, but the step was left intact, so it reported green in 1 ms all the time for the last 2 months. Nobody knew or cared, it was green after all. Re-establishing the tests made them take 10 minutes. It was not a small difference.
- The tests are pointing at whatever environment is hardcoded into the one config file. Well, at least there is a config file.
- In fact, only one guy looked at Jenkins reporting and took action
- There is no response control or output control. the first was never implemented, the second has been broken for a while
- It is not very clear (to me) what version is deployed where, so one might encounter the same bugs multiple times.
- Running the application locally takes some ritual of 10 steps, including sacrificing a goat and spray it's blood on the interns. This needs to be done several times a day.
- Everybody is pushing straight to development (I think I can block that in bitbucket tho, done it before) and no PR's are made at all.
- Multiple teams working on the same project, each team is maintaining their test suits in their own framework. Yes, there are many overlapping tests. One suite takes over 4 hours.

Every time I think I get it, there is another layer of arcane software development process uncovered. But hey, I get paid by the hour.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 26, 2017

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Had a PO tell us proudly he fully booked and planned the upcoming six sprints. He could not grasp why werent to happy about that.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

My lightbulb moment that was brightest the last few years was: doing things right, doing things well, isreally hard.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I have about seven years worth of scrum experience. I think the problem is, ironically, "individuals and interactions over processes and tools" - if you are on a team consisting of relatively solid contributors and hands off management, your project is going to succeed regardless of the methodology you choose.

I believe that scrum proponents are actually inverting cause and effect - my suspicion is that rather than improving or hindering team success, scrum itself has nothing to do with the actual productivity and performance of the the team - scrum just fails so badly in situations with poor people/poor management that it acquits itself because everyone involved in the failure goes away thinking it wasn't implemented correctly, so people don't chalk up the failure as a "scrum" failure because people "weren't doing it correctly", so you end up with survivorship bias - the people who were on projects with good people who were using scrum attribute the success to scrum rather than being on projects with good people, and then go around evangelizing the virtues of scrum when they're really just saying "previously, I worked on projects with good management and good coworkers. You should try doing that everywhere."

My intuition is that process either doesn't matter, or if does matter, than there is probably a process more optimal for non-sunny day situations than scrum.

You are very correct, I tip my noise-cancelling headphones to you.

This thread is leading to a bunch of wisdoms, it is rather fun to read.

- if you are on a team consisting of relatively solid contributors and hands off management, your project is going to succeed regardless of the methodology you choose
- when working remote, act like you got an office job but without the travel.
- Doing things well is hard, not many people, teams or organisations are capable of this.
- Clueless people get in the way and cause damage

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Skandranon posted:

The only winning move is not to play.

After I figured out tictactoe, throwing nukes seemed much more appealing.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Messyass posted:

If you develop software together as a team there should be a level of trust where you can discuss anything in a pull request, no matter who created it. If that isn't the case, you have bigger problems than a lack of unit tests.

Hallelujah.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

New job has a codebase that only works locally if you use Webstorm. I miss Atom. :negative:

Run it in a vm?
Also: how is it limited to run locally only using webstorm?

Keetron fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 22, 2017

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Cant you just start it using webstorm and edit files in your ide of choice?
You can also give jetbrain a chance, some of their stuff is really on point with making your life easier.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

All deployments and code merging is manual (no PRs as far as I can tell), and bugfixing is done by everyone pushing their changes to the same branch at the same time.

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHGGGGGG (loud screaming while clutching at eyes)

I am in a more or less similar situation, where the three teams decided a few weeks back to use feature branches so that the builds could be green now and then. We got told the process but not how the tools (git and bitbucket) work so I took it upon myself to organise a small git knowledge session where I was planning to explain to a few freshers how and why git works, what the difference is between local and remote, how to push, pull and fetch and how to branch and merge and make PRs. Nothing more.
Booked a room for 12, I thought that in a team of 22, that should be more than enough. Well, seems more than half of my team expects to learn something new that hour!
At least one guy was honest and declined with "This is way to basic for me and they should terminate anyone who accepts your meeting request. Great initiative, really!"

Keetron fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 7, 2017

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

So, my office has a similar workflow that works nicely with bitbucket PRs (which I assume are similar to github PRs)

Because we do two releases a week to SIT, we try and release features complete rather than trickling them into the trunk. We'll create a feature branch named after the feature, and then branch off/PR to that branch instead of the trunk. Individual stories still get reviewed and QA'd, then when we release the feature we submit a big fuckoff PR to the trunk that should already be fairly competent and not require a ton of extra review.

It works nicely enough for us and keeps merges pretty manageable

e: this also has the added benefit of pre-SIT testers being able to grab snapshot builds from the feature branch

Where do you compile, deploy and run the feature branch builds for testing purposes?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

a foolish pianist posted:

I think this is the crucial thing. People don't understand how branching works, or how flexible branches are.

Many people don't understand how Git works in general. Another thing I encountered recently is a teamlead mandating a new workflow and many team members having no idea what he wants (so I set up a Git basics workshop).

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

You guys are great, the last 50 posts are gold.

To Pollyanna, if you make a change and the whole house falls down, it sounds like a business case for some unit tests.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I must say, in a project where I was the only one who wrote unit tests it quickly went down like
code:
mvn clean compile -DskipTest
A different project was found.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Volguus posted:

They skipped the tests because they broke them? The tests that you wrote?

Yes and Yes. It was a special place.

geeves posted:

It depends what you're using. I know in Java, you can configure surefire with Maven (I think with gradle, not sure - it might use something else) to run a subset of tests of what I'm working on. You can do similar things with Jest. I'm sure other languages have tools to support this as well.

It's not too difficult, and doesn't really take too long to setup - might take a while to get it totally right for your team. (I had to go this route, because I'm also one of the few consistent unit testers in my office and I've been slowly going back through our codebase and trying to parse out things that involve calculations, etc. CRUD stuff, I'm not too worried about mocking up legacy code.)

Setting this up, you can have some params for your local build (what you're doing) another setting for builds that happen throughout the day and a full suite for nightly builds. We have several builds designed in gradle to handle just that.

This and using the failsafe plugin of maven to run integration tests.
In general I have found that people will disable tests if they are red to much, whatever the reason for that is. Oh and that I get asked to fix unit tests they broke because one day long ago I wrote them.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

Machete order or bust

Someone convince me why I should or should not switch from a windows work PC to a mac.

Pros: Macs get away from domain restrictions, meaning I won't have lovely enterprise mcafee and mandated bitlocker making my builds take 3 years and intellij hang all the drat time (allegedly. current coworkers on macs say they do not have these issues)

Cons: Windows4Lyfe

The look and feel of a MacBook Pro (2016 model) including build quality, is the best ever. Super smooth usage, the overall experience is like nothing I have seen.
If you ignore all that, if you ignore how your every day tool feels, looks and behaves... There is very little difference between Windows and Mac, provided neither is mistreated by your IT department. If you have enough memory and speedy parts, they are both fast.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

geeves posted:

IntelliJ hang is probably because you have something that's not ignored correctly with your project and it constantly re-indexes on build on npm updates / install etc. I usually get a re-index lag if I checkout wildly different branches or if something new has been introduced to the repo (we have a single repo for all of our apps). The other reason may simply be you don't have the correct memory settings. So if you have the RAM to spare, increase the default settings.

Or the working folder is in a netwerk drive due to a roaming profile. Set that thing to a local store!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I am going to xpost this to the working in corporate thread, but my co-devs will not shut up about bitcoin and other crypto currency. How do I explain to them they are being swindled out of their money without sounding like a dick? And yes, I understand bitcoin and blockchain, that doesn't mean I like the bitcoin and other currency implementations. Hell, I understand a lot of things that I have no desire to obtain. Either way, is your workplace also a bunch of people blowing up that bubble a bit more?

In other news, two ops people got "suspended pending investigation". I work at a bank. This poo poo is bad poo poo.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 16, 2017

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Mniot posted:

I hope you're hinting that these two are related and your ops people have embezzled money to buy bitcoins.

I would never suggest that, or hint at them using prod systems to mine coins.
Either way, there is absolutely no information on this so all hints and suggestions, if I would make them at all, are fabrications of my or other's imagination. There is of course the other strange coincidence that one was about to go abroad for a while for some vague reason.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Volmarias posted:

I'm betting he "sold" it to an exchange that double pinky swear promises that they have more than $10,000 cash on hand and now he has a very pretty number that he could draw down from, but won't.

Ah yes, that is the problem! This morning, like they do every morning between 7 and 8, one guy bragged that he sold for a thousand this weekend but then bought dogecoin for the money. Now he still has nothing but a counter on a website. A website that is run from the money people give it to buy bitcoins that they will keep for you while they take your money and run their services from it.

You know, how many stories are there of people who actually cashed out, that have the money in actual dollars/euro/whatever in the bank?

The biggest problem I have with bitcoin is that there is no added value to the world, just resources that are being used for reasons greed and the anonymity basically guarantees that it brings out the worst in people. The dickwad theory.

Maybe I should not worry about it and go on with my life, this amount of stupidity gives me anxiety.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Ok, sorry for that derail, I feel somewhat responsible.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

wow this thread is really weird. talk about Agile you ding dongs

We develop a big software thing in three teams. We use some sort of agile thing.
Now the bosses decided we need to change stuff, so there will be a company wide pilot to transition the entire company to the Spotify model! And one of our three teams is selected for this pilot, they should feel honored. Also they will be grouped with the other pilot teams, away from our product while still working on this product. Oh, is that inconvenient for you? Hmmm, let's move your team as well.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

smackfu posted:

We have a new interim product owner who is just totally indifferent about agile. I think he preferred waterfall. “Can you guys just point the next four sprints so I can schedule the contents of this release?” Argh.

Theoretically he is leaving in March but we will see.

We have quarterly client meetings where the sprints for the quarter are planned. And yes, some of the stuff takes more than a sprint and in a complex environment things need to be aligned if there are interface changes. But every quarter?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Does this thread have opinions on Selenium vs Cucumber testing? As far as I know, cucumber is mostly a layer that exists on top of selenium that makes the test cases that are being executed more human-readable but it's quite possible it adds a lot more functionality.

Selenium is a lot of things, but it is not a framework to run your testable specifications in which is exactly what cucumber is.
I work as a software engineer in test, meaning I write the code that will execute the tests where the actual test specs are written by the testers. One of the many ways to do this is to use Cucumber to write down your features.

Selenium will allow you to use code to talk to your browser.

If you have any specific questions, I might be able to answer them. I work in Java, using Cucumber, RestAssured, Selenium and whatever else I need.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

-Anders posted:

To build on this;
How does one go about becoming good at tests/becoming a test-engineer?

Do it a lot, try to think about the people who come after you to maintain your testcode and never underestimate the complexity some developers find maintainable.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Paolomania posted:

There are fewer people who want to specialize in test, so just have some programming experience under your belt and familiarity with a unit test and integration test framework in your language of choice, then apply to lots of junior test eng positions.

Also have a mental model of how vetted code is:

1. Code's natural behavior is an unknown that is just everyone's best guess until it causes an issue (of unknown severity) in production.
2. Code's behavior may be known but undocumented. This is a crappy state and is vulnerable to reverting to 1 if the person who knows leaves.
3. Code behavior may be documented but un-handled. Think of a comment in the code that says "This is bad" or "This should never happen", or someone filed a bug, maybe with an assert if you are lucky (or unlucky depending on how you feel about task failure in production).
4. Code may be documented and handle various cases, but may be untested. Without tests we really aren't that far past 1) as the true behavior is just a best guess. Even with tests, any uncovered code counts as this.
5. Code may be tested to some minimal range of inputs (I.e. One run with common good and bad values). Your first goal should be to get over 80% of code in this state through both testing and redesign of components for testing.
6. Code may be tested with a range of valid and invalid inputs, including edge cases. This is a desirable state, but not a guarantee of perfect code, as requirements may be wrong or tests may express the wrong constraints, or tricky hackers might find ways to weasel buffer overflows through your code's error checks.
7. Code may be stress tested in a variety of ways: load tested, performance tested, fuzz tested, and history of these can be monitored over time to assess overall code quality and regression thereof. Pro test engineers worry about this kind of stuff.

Yes, there is many levels of 7 that are well described in the testing pyramid that can be found all over the internet.
The essence is here: https://martinfowler.com/bliki/TestPyramid.html
A really nice article is here: http://james-willett.com/2016/09/the-evolution-of-the-testing-pyramid/

The tooling to look into as a test engineer rather depend on the ecosystem you wish to venture in. I can recommend the java sphere but that is also because I nothing little about other groups of languages/tools and because it is one of the bigger and will thus have more commercial possibilities.

In java, get proficient in or at least some knowledge of (it exists and you know where to find it)
- Java and IntelliJ
- JUnit
- Selenium for frontend testing
- RestAssured for API testing
- Cucumber JVM as business readable testing framework, comes with Gherkin
- XPath and jsonPath to analyse XML and json (and obviously XML and json so you know what you are looking at)
- There is some demand for FitNesse/HSAC in my locality which can be contributed to the developers who roam these here lands. This is purely java oriented.
- Git. If you want to be taken seriously by any developer, know how Git works. ( http://www.ohshitgit.com/ )

If you can do these, the missing pieces are often project specific, but these are the big overlapping pieces.

But here comes the good part, this list goes for other ecosystems as well, only the names change a bit and maybe others in this forum can help for JavaScript or Ruby or whatever? Let's assume JavaScript.

JavaScript testing stack:
- JavaScript and Webstorm
- [unit test framework]
- Selenium / protractor for front-end testing
- [API testing for JavaScript]
- Cucumber Js as business readable testing framework, comes with Gherkin
- XPath and jsonPath to analyse XML and json (and obviously XML and json so you know what you are looking at)
- Git. If you want to be taken seriously by any developer, know how Git works.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Cucumber is nice as it allows me to show the business people what I am actually testing and then they can say if it covers what they think the feature should be doing. And then we expand the testing so it covers better what the feature should be doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Volmarias posted:

I am thankful everytime my manager tells me that I have hosed up in a meeting and how (after the meeting) because it's a chance to never do that again.

Can you teach me how to do this, I need this in my life. My wife agrees and also thinks I need this in my life.