Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Writing good tests is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
My weirdest adjustment to becoming a software dev is being the second person in the office when I get in at...8:30

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I’m glad many of you get to work during hours that work for you :)

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I generally drink coffee until lunch, but switch off afterwards. I definitely noticed an improvement in sleep when I did that.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Not for me, nah. I do a full format when I walk out the door. I rarely crack my work laptop open while at home and can never remember what I was working on more than like... 2 days ago. That's also why I take meticulous notes.

Look at this one remembering two days back

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Taking pride in your work in unrelated to what's fair to your employer in my experience.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

shrike82 posted:

Employers do take advantage of your "pride in work" to get you to work under unreasonable conditions.

Yea, I got lucky and learned to say gently caress that early.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
git rebase is cool, Twitter reply guys aren’t.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I'm assuming they meant it as Java being closer to bare-metal. Is that not true?

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I guess I learned something today.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Code is art, and in this thesis I shall explain why my linter rules allow my inner peacock to truly shine.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Che Delilas posted:

Ohh, a 10x developer!

a make-10x-more-work-for-everyone-else developer

Accurate but for different reasons.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Our company obfuscated the junior/mid/senior levels with position names that are impossible to discern experience from. I never have any idea how much experience to assume someone from another part of the company has.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I'd much prefer to deal with a wall of text in slack then in an email. :shrug: Although, if we were in pre-remote times, I'd almost certainly stop at a desk or set a quick meeting in a common area to engage in a verbal conversation as that's how I feel I'm most effective in walking through answers.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
My comments live on my pull requests, so as soon as we squash and merge, they disappear forever.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Does every company not have an older dev who goes by uncle <name>?

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Encouraging pairing is good, enforcing pairing sounds like a nightmare.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
They just improved performance by like 98%

https://www.docker.com/blog/speed-boost-achievement-unlocked-on-docker-desktop-4-6-for-mac/

I didn’t run any tests myself because I don’t need to run a monolith locally. I’m blessed

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

mitztronic posted:

This entire conversation from the tabchat complaints and the prior conversation about notifications are really putting forward and center that a surprising number of engineers are incompetent if not just stupid. These are really simple problems which were solved by design, the same type of design people in this very thread are supposed to be doing. It’s very ironic and disturbing at the same time.

Notifications? How do they work? Are they just a series of tubes?

You didn't discover that engineers are incompetent and/or stupid just by working in development?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Would a 30-day retention window in Slack be a Sarbanes-Oxley compliance problem?

The company I work at has a three month window and we have to follow SoC, so I would imagine that would be fine.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I generally give code writing type interviews, and try to make it conversational. I’m not really concerned with ensuring the candidate completes the problem, you can usually get a vibe that they know how to code fairly quickly, imo. I generally have only interviewed Jr candidates though.

Fortunately, all the candidates I recommend have been strong hires, unfortunately they all get poached almost immediately by another team.

The Dark Souls of Posters fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 6, 2022

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
My ability to effectively manipulate the ORM we use has significantly improved based on the level of effort I’ve spent learning SQL, fwiw. Not really relevant to interviewing but something I think is worth considering

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I want to know more about Pesto. No I will not google it

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Bongo Bill posted:

Mash up some fresh basil, hard cheese, nuts, and salt with a mortar and pestle, and blend it with olive oil. Experiment with the ratios until you find one that's just right for you.

Thank you, I feel blessed with this suggestion

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Bongo Bill posted:

A great way to gain experience is by loving up a lot and then going back and figuring out why you hosed up.

This is how I operate. Never be afraid to YOLO in Prod, it's a learning experience, and you should position it as such when you're Director starts yelling at you.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Xarn posted:

He is an idiot.

All CEOs are

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
We're building a Rails monorepo and using packwerk. I, personally, don't like it because our company hasn't historically demonstrated any discipline over consistent code organization or separation of concerns, and it's not looking like we're getting any better as we move away from the original monolith.

I like having microservices, but it's mostly because I've had the opportunity to work in well defined application spaces as opposed to working in something where it's hard to determine where business logic should go.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
What about cloud flare giving you a 502 even though it got a normal 200 response within the timeout parameter causing the request to get retried despite success

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
The problem with the Microservices video is that they come up with much better dumb names then any developer actually does

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Mega Comrade posted:

So my company is switching to "Shapeup" . Anyone got any experience with this, I've read the shapeup doc on it. And mostly seems sensible although I have concerns about this company actually sticking to some of the principles, mainly not pulling Devs of work cos some minor bug has been reported by a customer with a lot of clout.

The company that recently laid me off tried it. It was a pretty spectacular failure. It sounds really nice, but in practice it’s kind of a mess, especially if leadership isn’t strong about defending the tech org. The biggest issue I observed was that product was terrible at writing pitches and engaging tech leads and sr engineers about the technical side of the pitch resulting in either overly specific or overly broad requests resulting in pitches never finishing in six weeks.

This resulted in the two weeks of downtime being spent trying to finish pitches or working with product to refine the pitches that weren’t finished. Additionally, there was an assumption that devs would suddenly only take time off during downtime, which, lol.

Ultimately, the failure happened because product and tech could never come to an agreement on what expectations for the entire process would be and the CTO was too weak to provide any direction on the project management framework they decided we had to do.

Oh, and he laid off all the project managers deeming them non-essential because suddenly devs will manage themselves! Guess what, devs hate managing projects.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Anyways, the company bought another company and then used the “looming recession” to have two rounds of layoffs, and now the company has almost no one left between layoffs and brain drain and those that do remain are from the purchased company.

No, I’m not bitter at all that I found out I was laid off from a coworker who didn’t even still work at the company while I was on parental leave.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
“Agile”

I believe the WARN act allowed them to lay me off since I got 60 days notice when my leave would have expired. Honestly, I maybe could have pressed it, but it turns out newborns are exhausting mentally and physically and I didn’t.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I learned the most about git when I nuked a remote branch and had to figure out how to fix it with an interactive rebase (my memory is a little vague of what I actually did). Everyone should learn to use git by destruction.

Less jokingly, I found the CLI a much better tool for understanding the model of git, but that’s anecdotal. Also, nvim over any ide because why not throw that in there.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
You use rebase to clean up your local branch before pushing to remote for code review so they can’t see how many committees it took for you to fix that typo

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I have started amending commits more often now, but there is something satisfying about an interactive rebase and using fixup

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I’ve always used —force-with-lease

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Xarn posted:

git commit --fixup {commit} and then git rebase -i --autosquash

Hell yea, this rules

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Im going to use ChatGPT for any hackerrank interview challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I use notion, but I don’t take notes well