Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

sarehu posted:

"Unpassionate" is code for low-IQ mutationally loaded dum-dums for which the idea of coding in their free time is unreasonable because it would take them too much time to make anything interesting. Also, females would have as much free time in college as males of equal intellect. In the workforce they have more free time because they work less hours. So how could this be about white men? What a dumb bitch.

oh good i was waiting for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
I use Vim because I like modal editing. And no, I don't care what other editor you're using, it does not do Vim emulation well.

I will concede however, that I do not use the vi mode in bash.

qsvui fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 3, 2018

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What did you all use before vim? I feel like I had used DOS edit way too much as a kid, and the Borland tool suite did nothing to help. I then flop into college, the UNIX intro book basically gave us a choice between vi and emacs. I struggled with both, but vi made me want to punch stuff. The rest is history.

I used Sublime Text but found I was mashing chords way too often. Also, their plugins at the time were a bit lacking.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
I think Pollyanna has settled for enough poo poo jobs and should try to hold out for something that's tolerable.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
2 space indentation is perfectly fine :colbert:

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Cubes weren't too bad when I was working in one. It's not like open layouts are all that great either.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

speng31b posted:

people would walk in off the street and ask for the genius bar, mistaking us for an apple store because we were a giant glass building with a bunch of mac products set up.

hahahaha this just made my day

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
"lol triggered"

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

withoutclass posted:

Utopia has worked well in the past.

I prefer NationStates.

Virigoth posted:

The fucks going on in here.

baquerd posted.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Shirec posted:

Boss is now yelling at my co-workers and not me, I feel bad for them but I’m so free. It’s not me for once. :toot:

He’s blaming them for all his poor decision making and not pushing back enough. He’s also blaming them for “acting like the sky is falling” and also not moving fast enough. He’s also putting his future success or failure on them, so lots of guilt.

I’m shamelessly eavesdropping. Also getting more annoyed because he’s certainly being nicer to them than he was to me.

edit: Oh wow he is insanely guilt tripping them. "I'm trying to make things easier for you for when I'm gone"

is it bad that i don't feel bad for your coworkers?

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Pollyanna posted:

Our candidate vetting/interviewing process seems to have settled on Senior meaning “can solve Knight’s Tour on a whiteboard within 45 minutes”.

Time to switch jobs again.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
I have just started using Entity Framework 6 on this new app I'm working on. Is this a mistake?

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
One upside of working with a bunch of old farts is not having to encounter any of this silly nonsense.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
sounds like he's got it made

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
:sever:

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Is this just some dumb straw man you made up? A 5 minute feature in raw vim is easily possible.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

On another subject: code reviews.

--apparently said by a senior engineer in a neighboring team on the subject of starting a code review system.

Drawing from a small sample size of my current company, senior more often seems to mean "stuck around for a while" and rarely has anything to do with expertise.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Sometimes changing management isn't enough and you need to :killing:

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
i saw esr and i immediately understood

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Another choice paragraph from that article:

quote:

Of course, to brag about being a great employer, it helps to be one. Siegel sees plenty of resistance to offering things applicants might actually want—namely, money and flexibility. In a survey ZipRecruiter conducted last year, he says, most employers said they were focusing all their recruiting efforts on job listings themselves. “Instead of doing things like lowering the skills required or improving the pay, it was all about how much they were spending on more job boards or more recruiting solutions,” Siegel says. “There was a real resistance to responding to the market that was telling you that if you want to get good talent, you have to improve your offer.”

Not very surprising, I know.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

feedmegin posted:

I mean, I mostly write microcontroller firmware, which end am I working on?

rear end end

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
How early are we talking about here? 9?

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

you shouldnt care about what is fair to yoyr employer as much as your team members. I agree that being fair to your employer isnt tge point cuz youre just another disposable goon. Hopefully you care enough to not make poo poo code for everyone else.

Also fair to your employer isnt my wording, its the wording of tge person I responded to.

nah, coworkers can be poo poo also

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

rt4 posted:

JIRA is an ideal way to practice SCRUM in an AGILE environment

i'll have you know that jira also supports kanban and scrumban

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
How does that work? Do you mean others on your team just rubber stamp LGTM on the PR and send it through?

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
4am or 4pm, lol either way

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
was the recommendation to get a new job?

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
you sound like my coworker who tries to come up with a dumb tech analogy for every situation

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
unless you work in embedded in which case you can go your entire career knowing nothing but C

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
:rolleyes:

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
good on you for getting outta there, let us know when they continue asking questions while you are no longer employed there

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
I've never had any sort of personal projects so I guess it's homework for me!

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
If I have to scroll up and down to read an entire function, it's too long :colbert:

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

NovemberMike posted:

I've never seen anything empirical that gives a strong preference for short functions, only subjective arguments.

I find this is also the case for a lot of software development. Maybe functional programming truly is better for a lot of situations but the people making that argument rarely cite data for that position.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

ultrafilter posted:

That data is really hard to come by, and even once you have, whether functional programming is better depends a lot on how you define "better".

Of course, it's not like there was overwhelming empirical evidence that persuaded everyone to start using OOP so I don't even know if any of this matters.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

BabyFur Denny posted:

Something about a racist society with a hosed up attitude towards women is really appealing to software engineers.

but enough about america :yayclod:

NFX posted:

I like WFH a lot - or rather, I don't particularly like the office.

WFH is great when your office uses one of those open layout nightmares where you spend most of your time overhearing irrelevant crap.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Truman Peyote posted:

[uncle bob voice]

ew

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

B-Nasty posted:

Meanwhile, even though most tech jobs are more about parsing requirements, communication, and understanding how to navigate large/complex systems, the industry has adopted LeetCode nonsense where you need to remember obscure DS&A tricks that you'll never use again once you're hired.

And the frustrating part is a lot of people realize the shortcomings of focusing on leetcodes but they just continue to interview like this. In the end, I suppose if this process produced them then it can't be that bad right?

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
I don't think I would even be able get to past the interview, so it's not even a question for me. No, I won't study leetcodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
I work with a bunch of boomers so every "chat with teammates" almost always revolves around the news cycle hot topic of the day. No thanks, man.