Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I cannot imagine that any update system is worse than the Eclipse one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Luckily on my current contract, I am billed 40 hours by default, and they only care about whether I'm going to be out in PTO so they can adjust their cost projections for the month.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm a contractor at a very large company with a lot of process around internal requests and such, and they hired a team from a NYC agile company who are used to working with startups with no rules and boy do they hate this large company so much.

I get a weekly email rant complaining about how they have to wait on other people and they don't understand "why it has to be this way."

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oh yeah, I recognize I have some Stockholm Syndrome from working in large companies for a long time. At heart it's just a bad culture clash and I just wish I wasn't in the middle of it.

It's amazing how much time an agile team can spend on chores without making much progress though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ChickenWing posted:

I didn't realize that you were expected to pay for all your own devices, huh.

Depends on the job. Just as often people will say you have to use their laptop and only their laptop to access their network. Put they aren't going to buy you a printer or mouse or anything.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Remote pair programming: always terrible or can it be tolerable?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm glad to hear that people have success with remote pairing. Gives me some hope.

For tech, we are using ScreenHero, which has worked really well so far. Yeah, if the connection is bad, the mouse/keyboard control gets too laggy to use, but most of the time it's okay. Ironically it's better if we both work from home rather than one of us use an office connection. Annoying that ScreenHero has had closed signups since they got acquired by Slack a while ago. (You can still be invited by a current user though.)

My main complaint with pairing remote so far is that it's way easier to "cheat" on the pair. Like the person not sharing their screen can check their emails, or respond to an IM, or research something while they aren't running the show. I don't even really blame them that much, it's hard to have good discipline. Especially when there is some icon bouncing in the menubar.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

For our in office setups, the pairing setup is one computer with two displays hooked up in mirroring mode, and two keyboards and two mice. So you don't have another machine to check your email or anything.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yep, places that are all-in on extreme programming will do 100% pairing. You do not touch code by yourself unless someone is out or you have an odd number of developers assigned to a project temporarily.

If you don't like pairing, those companies would not be a good fit for you, but different strokes for different folks. It's got to be a rough transition for a company that switches to that though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Everyone does it differently even among different projects. Where I work, we use 1/2/4/8, where 8 is too big to be a single story and needs to be broken up. And a 4 isn't going to be more than two pair-days.

But I sometimes join another group that will point 0 for trivial stuff (like wording changes or minor restyling.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I mean, the whole point is that if you add a specific amount of points to the two week sprint, you can evaluate how you did at the end. Didn't finish all those stories? Then do less points in the next sprint. Finished early? Add more points to the next sprint. It's pretty natural in its adjustment.

Yes, you can do the same exercise with hours, but once you start saying you can do 70 hours of work in 80 hours, you might as well call those 70 hours 70 points.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

All the "fast meetings with a point" stuff only works if there is someone really dedicated to that and willing to say "ok, that's enough."

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

In the grand list of offensive office practices, a daily 10 minute meeting is pretty near the bottom. I don't know how valuable our standup is, but at least it is short and everyone actually says something unlike most of my meetings.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I have no real complaints about HipChat. Except how their pricing plan for hosting your own server only goes up to 5000 users, and apparently we hit that limit and can't register any more people.

https://www.hipchat.com/server#pricing

Also per user pricing on self hosted seems pretty dubious to me but I don't pay the bills.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

OMG, when agile meets an entrenched DBA group, so painful.

"Ok, you want some columns added to a table. That's pretty simple. Let's have a meeting to discuss the purpose of the columns. Then we will add them to the logical data model once you provide descriptive names for each. Then the other DBAs will translate that to a physical data model and then they will provide the SQL and you can submit a request to get it implemented. You do have funding, of course?"

That process has been going on for almost a month now.

And this is blocking a ton of stories of course, that are only waiting on final column names.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, we have definitely lost good overseas programmers because we wouldn't pay them enough.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

I dont even know what the gently caress this poo poo means. Descriptive names? You mean the name I gave them, like "first_name" or "my_butts_measurement"? Physical data model vs logical data model? What the hell is the difference?

I don't really know, to be perfectly honest. I think the logical one might be database agnostic.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If people are expected to do a job they aren't trained for, that comes down to bad hiring / staffing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Hughlander posted:

Friday or after 4pm! Which has the common joke of, "We can only push after 4pm on Fridays right?" when product people inevitably want to push something out this moment.

We are b2b so our customers work 9-5 weekdays in whatever time zone they are. So all our deployments are at night and usually on Friday night, so we have time to fix things if stuff goes wrong before Monday which is our biggest day.

Yay.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Gounads posted:

Once you've gone the no-tests route it gets harder and harder to take time out and go back and do them.

On my current project we had to do that maybe a year and a half ago. Stopped development for a few weeks and just wrote tests. Been keeping up with them since that. Obviously it was a big cost at the time and slowed us down temporarily. But since then it's saved a lot more time than we spent, and we've had higher quality releases going out.

But I'm just preaching to the choir...

It also depends on how testable your code is. If it's an old code base using stuff like queries in business methods and static methods, you need to do a lot of refactoring just to get tests working.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

rt4 posted:

The worst part about being in a SVN workplace is that you can't convince them to adopt git and branching because they all think branching is too difficult after years of using SVN.

What's so hard about SVN and branching for every story? Not as lightweight as git but seems workable.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, just uploading the whole day in that room as a single 8.5 hour video. That's something.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm pretty sure our new product owner is just faking his way through Agile. He accepts stories without verifying them and he wants to have an IPM on an ad hoc basis as needed. And keeps confusing the ice box and back log.

Help me.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

necrobobsledder posted:

Pivotal Tracker has an icebox section that I've used for stories as a suggestion box before triage and can still be rejected. That's the only usage of an icebox I've seen in my agile project planning tools anyway.

Yeah, I guess it is a Pivotal Tracker invention. In our case, anyone can add stories and bugs to the icebox but only the business owner can move them to the actual backlog and prioritize them.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

leper khan posted:

This doesn't sound like regression testing. Regression testing is to make sure things what broke don't break again. Eg, a ticket comes in, write a test validating the issue exists and then fix the issue. Then builds fail if that test fails in the future.

In the olden days, our regression testing was just a full manual test suite across the whole app, before any production deployments, to ensure that none of the changes had unexpected side effects. Took ages and cost a fortune in tester hours. Automated testing and unit testing is a much better solution to the same problem.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yep. Ten years of Java experience where they only worked with a legacy Java 6 code base is not super valuable to most employers.

(Well, it probably is sadly useful for a surprising number of firms but they don't want to admit it.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I feel like that point exercise would be me deriving equations on paper for most of the time and then just converting it into code at the end.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There's usually an ebb and flow. Too many production changes go wrong due to stupid errors, so a process is created to review them. But then the process gets too heavy so various fast tracks are added (VP override, "standard" changes.) Eventually almost all the changes bypass the process and then if quality starts to go down, the whole cycle repeats.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

rt4 posted:

Seems like everything I do is pretty easy. Getting things done while preventing or fixing a mess feels like the only part worth being proud of.
The two most challenging things I do are performance improvements (when the easy way is just too slow) and tricky production debugging.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Who has a holiday production freeze? How does that work for you with sprints and continuous delivery?

We have retail clients so our freeze starts the week before Black Friday until January 2nd. So that's nice.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wish we were better about that. We tend to just debate for too long about whether to do the simple version or the fancy version.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I talked to a dude on another team at work the other day and their version of "agile" was pretty terrifying...
  • Sprint contents are planned out months in advance.
  • As a result of that, if a story isn't delivered and accepted, the next sprint is screwed.
  • As a result of that, code quality is shoddy because acceptance is all that matters.
  • Similarly, lots of untracked overtime which basically means the velocity is a lie.
  • Also lots of dev/test team antagonism since test holding things up makes the above worse.
Somehow worse than waterfall.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Do you point bugs or not? We have not but our new product owner wants to because they can't get a sense of what will actually be delivered if people work on bugs and that delays stories.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The tricky bit is that sometimes the people suggesting zero point bugs are also suggesting that bugs should be extremely rare. That most things that passed acceptance criteria should only have features to change them, not bugs. So in that environment, bug points are not that important and whether they are zero on principle or given points doesn't really matter.

It's not much of an answer to a project owner who says, "if I prioritize a lot of bugs this week, that makes the contents of this sprint completely incorrect???"

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

For our team, they laid off the QA contractors right before Christmas so we are just "going to have to point a little higher" and "velocity will go down" but "quality should remain just as high."

Hmm.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

sunaurus posted:

My expectation has always been that if I some day decided to work for a US based company, I could still get similar conditions, but based on the previous posts here, I'm starting to doubt this. Can anyone clear it up for me?

From any decent US company, I would expect 15-20 days of vacation and another 10-12 days of holidays (Christmas etc.) So yes, less than Europe.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

I don't think I've ever had more than 8?

Also never had separate sick days :\

Bare minimum holidays is seven. But often they add a few floating for religious or local holidays or to add an extra day around Christmas if the calendar works out that way.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

How do you deal with people being late to standup?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Our stand up is always half "same as John" because we pair up. Very efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We use a few apps that make it very clear when they are within 30 days of license expiration which I always thought was a bit tacky but it might help in that kind of case.