Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Grump posted:

my team lead:

"I don't like code comments. I try to make all my code self documenting"

also my team lead:

awesome thanks :thumbsup:

My team lead says something similar, because apparently all comments get outdated. Bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy, as any comments in our code certainly are now.

Basically, it just means that people have to ask about poo poo in pull requests, and once those get merged that poo poo be lost to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I finished my project before Christmas, as did a lot of other people at work, and leadership, I dunno, forgot to plan what we would be doing once we came back for new years. So, we've been twiddling our thumbs for weeks now. I am not complaining about being paid to sit on my rear end, but it's really unprofessional and boring. I don't get how that's allowed to happen.

I am pretty far in a hiring process at this other place, hopefully that goes well.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ChickenWing posted:

Company I interviewed at gave me a 6 hour takehome

Do I:

1) Tell the recruiter to thank them for their time but I'm not willing to work for a company that's so disrespectful of my time

2) Tell them myself

3) Ghost them

I once went through application -> 2x phone interviews -> 6 hour mini-project -> 2x in-person interviews for a position that was supposedly open for people of all experience/skill levels (I've got a masters and 4 years) only for them to decide I did not have the technical depth they were looking for. Last I checked they were still looking.

Never again.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Ither posted:

I've been put on multiple projects, each with their own standup and ceremonies.

If you're a new hire that's super dumb; you should start out with only one. I'd speak with your manager about it if they're not a tool.

I've been in this situation, but usually it comes about if you've shown yourself to be a person who gets poo poo done, the company does not have enough of those people to go around, and you have trouble saying no. You get stuck in meetings and ceremonies all day, but you're still expected to deliver in all these teams so you start working more hours... Burnout 3: Takedown

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
People who learn that methods should be short and do only one thing, and then proceed to wrap the entire standard library in one-line methods are annoying. I hate having to read the methods they write where they actually try to do some work, because it's now almost entirely in a syntax they've decided on rather than the standard and I have to look up every method to see what it actually does.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Pairing is great if it is with someone you like and work well with, and like pulling teeth with anyone else.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
When I joined my new team as a senior I was told to by the team to shake things up a little, ask pointed questions and criticize the status quo seeing as I was new blood. I thought fair enough, but better to step lightly until we've gotten to know each other. Three weeks later my boss has to come speak to me because some people on the team had thrown a major fit and gone behind my back because I had asked for the context of certain decisions and dared question some of their undocumented coding style choices in a pull request. I'm taking a promotion and transferring to a different team.

Point is, teams where nobody can agree on anything and every decision requires a debate are no good, but neither are teams where there's no culture for constructive criticism or flexibility. I feel like the most effective team composition is one where you have both seniors and juniors, and where both of these groups have outspoken types and keep your head down types. In theory an all senior/outspoken group can work, but only if they all see eye-to-eye from the onset. Still, such a group will probably struggle with on-boarding new people.

Oh, and another lesson is that there's not necessarily any correlation between what sort of culture a team claims to have, and what that culture is actually like.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 4, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Blinkz0rz posted:

Now let's talk about how the "hostile nitpicker" is usually just a white dude

Sure, but the person with the exact opposite approach is also usually just a white dude in this industry.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Did you know habitual git squashing developers are mostly just white dudes?

Makes you think...

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Agreed, I think having all 75 commits with the message "TICKET-000 chagnes refracted" really preserves the intent of the author.

I need you to understand the transition from "refactoring" to "some more refactoring"!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Seems to me it's not about what to call it, but rather that this kind of feedback does more harm than good.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
In my current team they feel strongly that pull requests are the wrong place to discuss craft, but I have been in teams where that is acceptable. I think doing so in pull requests requires more trust; it's more fraught than discussing something over coffee.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I am getting close to burning out. I have been working from home for over a year now, and since I am pretty bad at self discipline, require being social to avoid depression and am entirely motivated by receiving in person praise or showing off to someone it really doesn't work for me. My productivity is down to at most a third of what it was, and I have been compensating by basically working from when I get up to when I go to sleep, with my "breaks" being mostly the distractions of working from home that are keeping me from being more productive. I have found that my most productive period starts when I should be going to bed, as avoiding the next day is sort of motivating, but I have stand-ups and stuff in the morning so this has mostly resulted in me getting very little sleep during the work week. I take naps and sleep a lot in the weekend to compensate.

Clearly this is not sustainable or healthy, and I am trying to make changes, but I have a hard time seeing a proper resolution to this as long as working from home is mandatory.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I think the common perception among developers of Kanban as a simpler, less process-driven or formal alternative to Scrum is pretty far from what Orthodox Kanban is like. I work with a Kanban enthusiast and he argues for a full value stream with loads of columns for everything including task specification, design and analysis steps, multiple swim lanes all with their own WIP limits (how many tasks in progress at once) and class of service guarantees (how long should a task take) and a ton of metrics. He argues that the default Jira and Trello Kanban boards with To Do-Doing-Done are more like Scrum than they are like Kanban.

To make matters worse, all new user stories/features are handled using an involved Scrum process and everything that comes with that so I get to experience the worst of both worlds.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 12, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Eh, maybe it does. I'm skeptical. You can spend a lot of time engineering your process, and get plenty of metrics out of that, but your power to affect things is ultimately limited to making a recommendation to your boss about how much work your team can handle and how that work should be presented. Even if we assume that the boss in question is on board with taking direction from the team on this, the entire process is super vulnerable to all of the same things that make estimation such a waste of time. One unforeseen and significant complication, maybe a technical issue or a staffing issue, and your metrics are close to worthless. Maybe the project lead, product owner or team has a habit of kicking the ball down the road, spending most of their time assigning or solving tasks that are easy; when you're suddenly faced with the elephant in the room it's not like having a finely tuned lead time is going to make any difference. Sure, these issues will always be issues; it's not Kanbans fault, but it does give me the impression that a lot of the theory-heavy parts of Kanban are just as much wishful thinking and busywork as the stuff people talk poo poo about Scrum for.

Some of the simpler stuff is alright though. Trying to limit people to working on one thing at a time, and incentivizing QA is nice. Keeping your to-do list a manageable size seems to help morale a little bit. I don't really think you need more than a single lane to do that though.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 13, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

leper khan posted:

What if you had kanban but without the prioritized backlog and you kept all the scrum meetings :smith:

And you spread your tasks over multiple boards that must all be maintained individually.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
"opportunities for growth"

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Combat Pretzel posted:

Guys over from IT finally set up an Gitlab account for me. Dude in charge seemed to have a huge problem with me doing various Git stuff on command-line (IDK, it's a habit from way back, using simpler text editors).

Eventually I mentioned that I have Sourcetree installed, mainly for me to reminisce over commits in a visually more pleasing way. He tried his damnest to convince me to use it exclusively, not understanding that it's essentially just a loving frontend to Git. I mean, FFS, when you e.g. push your branch, it just straight out opens up a logging window and spews out 1:1 the same poo poo as the command-line tool would. But to him, using Sourcetree, commandline Git or say VSCode's integration are three unrelated things minding their own business.

It's probably just a harm-reduction measure. I mean, you're not wrong, but whenever I or somebody else have hosed up the repo somehow (usually rewriting history or deleting tags) we've definitely done so from the command-line. The problem is not the command-line of course, but ops people usually have a very specific perspective.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 26, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
IntelliJ git gui is pretty good. VSCode git gui is dogshit.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I made senior after three years and I am not all that good at this job. Leaving sounds like a great decision.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

froglet posted:

I'm not a (professional) developer, I cobble scripts to augment my manual testing (i.e. to solve problems that are bothering me and/or getting in my way). :v:

I mean, I say that but I also did a whole lot more than manual testing, up to and including creating scripts to use in production (my reaction when asked: :stare:. And yes, I did do it, but I put an excessive amount of error handling into that thing, then got the senior dev to run through it, and created more test data than strictly necessary to ensure it was all going to go through okay without exploding in prod).

During my last week, I actually sent an email to my manager detailing how terrible testing is at this job, what I did to make it more manageable, and what they can do to fix it both now and in the long term. I didn't exactly tread any new ground - my boss was well aware of the problems - but I laid out why it makes testing either bad or hard, how it'd drive away a lot of testers because it's incredibly demoralising, and what actual good testing looks like from my (admittedly limited) experience. Everyone on my team knew testing was hosed, but they didn't have to do it, so they didn't bother doing anything to fix it despite my (numerous) complaints and conviction that even a little bit of investment in testing would be incredibly helpful. Eventually I stopped complaining and developed what amounted to a series of workarounds to help me handle their apathy. Coz hey, they made it clear they weren't going to fix it and didn't seem to be too bothered by the teams velocity tanking as a result, so what's a few more hours here and there to work out how to make my job easier and/or less miserable?

Anyway, Friday was my last day. When my partner saw the card they gave me, he said 'wow, gently caress those guys, I'm glad you're out'.

Nice.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Developers have very varied definitions of what Kanban is and what makes it good. I would have to see the specific implementation to know whether I thought it was beneficial.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Mega Comrade posted:

It's agileish but with less of the extra crap added on than scrum has. So rather than 'good' it's just less bad.

prom candy posted:

We do "kanban" at my work which means we reorder stories frequently and also yeah we don't have all the meetings which is loving great.

These are common takes among developers, but Kanban does have a bunch of its own crap; classes of service, swim lanes, WIP limits and that's just the stuff that has to do with task management. There's a lot of theory, and it allows for plenty of meetings too, just look up "kanban cadences". If you end up in a team with someone who insist on doing Kanban by the book and not just "simplified scrum board and no meetings" you won't have a great time.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
we're writing custom build server integrations in gitlab to avoid having to go to a paid tier just for mandatory approvals in pull request, but people are no longer sure whether to press the approval button, the like button or comment with a key phrase, so now every pull request is literally "like, comment and subscribe" to get it merged

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Gitlab has a "mark as draft" function. I don't see how using it, or something like it, makes you dumb or whatever.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
In my experience companies paste them on the wall and then never point to them ever. They're a non-issue.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
My boss demanded I explain why I take so many bathroom breaks every day and I pointed out that one of our core values is to be productive.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I was able to get service level billing out of AWS; not so for GCS.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
M1s still have a ton of compatability issues. I got one, but have to do all my builds remote.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

prom candy posted:

What have you had issues with? I'm thinking of getting one later this year but I thought the compatibility stuff was mostly ironed out.

Running bazel in docker does not work on M1s. I see larger projects still having M1 stuff on the roadmap, so I would not make any assumptions that everything will work with the normal bit of tinkering.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 22, 2022

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
If she's got 20 years of experience in marketing I would look at either doing marketing for IT companies, or do a lateral move into the product side of software development. Like, do market research for a software product, be a product owner or move into a managerial position somewhere in IT. Starting from scratch seems like a waste.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I know a person who does the whole socratic feedback thing and then ignores any response but the change they are implying they want you to make. I think it is meant to come across as less combatative, but it wastes time and feels really passive aggressive.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I will be one in a couple of weeks so I will let you know. I am hoping it is just a fancy title justifying a certain type of pay grade for a certain type of senior engineer that gets pulled into meetings a bit more than usual.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Bongo Bill posted:

Mash up some fresh basil, hard cheese, nuts, and salt with a mortar and pestle, and blend it with olive oil. Experiment with the ratios until you find one that's just right for you.

GARLIC

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

CPColin posted:

I watched as a guy called into a team meeting with camera on while on the freeway and I almost quit the meeting and went straight to HR to complain when my boss didn't immediately go "wtf hang up you idiot". If he ever does it again I might yell at him myself.

This is also the guy who occasionally makes his Zoom background a padded cell and I look forward to him doing that when I'm having a bad day so I can complain about that too.

I do the Enterprise bridge, you gonna snitch on me too?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Maybe it's a cry for help? Or a movie reference?

Is this person making inappropriate jokes during meetings?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's apparently good, but I have never seen a good one.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's great when people throw their hands up at how lovely the tooling is, at multiple levels in the organization, and then you end up with docker in docker in docker in...

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Happiness Commando posted:

His specific request is what resources (books/whitepapers/whatever) can I expose myself to, so I can better explain that the family of tenets like "explicitly store DB transactions" are good . His situation is as follows:

I dont know of any resources about the proper fundamentals of system/app design, any of you all have suggestions?

Appeals to authority are super annoying, so it's weird for him to request one. I guess he's basically saying he does not respect yours and doesn't want to listen to your arguments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I really need a date to tell the client.