Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pizzatime

completing video games is important, that's out of the question, but sometimes it's not as easy as mining patches of ore for a gerbil's life worth of evenings.

what if you're playing the first metroid where you get the choice of having the ice beam or the wave beam? do you wave to acquire both, even though one overrides the other?

what about super mario world? is getting all the 96 exits really enough? wouldn't you feel incomplete without ever having maxed out your lives and score? what about clearing the lava chasm in the forest fortress? can you really live with yourself calling your save "complete" if you've never cleared the chasm?

what about unlocking the red arremer and athena in snk vs. capcom? would you not consider buying the game so you wouldn't have to live with yourself after being unable to beat 36 opponents in a row on survival mode?

what about the stanley parable? would you really consider a save file without the unachievable achievement complete? of course not! good thing it's very easy and not at all completely pointless to do, just follow these simple steps:

1. Make sure The Stanley Parible is closed, then go to the folder: D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\The Stanley Parable\thestanleyparable\cfg\
This will not work for Mac. Mac users will need to go into finder (or just click the desktop) go into 'go' on the toolbar. Select 'Go to folder' and type in: ~/Library. From there click on the folder which says 'Application Support' and follow the previouly stated directons (Steam\SteamApps\common\The Stanley Parable\thestanleyparable\cfg\config.cfg).

2. Open the folder config.cfg (with any text editor) and type in the following text on a new line:
bind “x” “~;_u”

3. If you already havn't done so, close the text file. Then right click the file and enter the files properties (for Mac the properties option will be known as 'Get info'). Then make sure the file is set to 'Read Only'.

4. Enter The Stanley Parable and click x on the keyboard (you may need to wait a few seconds) and you should get the achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barfdog

I never completed Contra and it haunts me to this very day.

https://i.imgur.com/FLpAnfS.mp4

Golden Gate Bride
knife to meet you
sounds fun

PinkoBastard

barfdog posted:

I never completed Contra and it haunts me to this very day.

even WITH the code, Contra's a real bitch.

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
i beat it once with the code

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
bacalou

i play games until they stop being fun

Scaly Haylie

i think playing a game until it stops being fun is the thing to do

bacalou posted:

i play games until they stop being fun

oh hi opinion buddy

Admiral_eX_laX

Historically Inaccurate
i feel like i need to beat peace walker and dragon's dogma before i buy anything for my ps4. also dark souls 2.

my backlog is thiiiiiiiis biiiiiiiiig

PinkoBastard
drat I still haven't even beaten Demon's Souls

Admiral_eX_laX

Historically Inaccurate

PinkoBastard posted:

drat I still haven't even beaten Demon's Souls

i played demons souls and dark souls...after a while you get tired of it. at least i did. i was never the one to go pvp'ing. i want to play bloodborne just for the hell of it but i want to go through ds2 first.

Matoi Ryuko

I play alot of games without ever finishing them like GTA.

Admiral_eX_laX

Historically Inaccurate

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I play alot of games without ever finishing them like GTA.

My ps3 crashed right before I was about to beat it. I did buy a new ps3 but I'm not about to start that poo poo all over anytime soon.

It's really a shame that there is no way to image your ps3 hdd to a new one.

mags

sure there is

paul_soccer12 posted:

mags

just take a photo of the disk and then put the photo on the new disk

paul_soccer12 posted:

Pizzatime

nobody noticed the sarcasm eh

Microwaves Mom

by zen death robot
I play games with no ending. Muahahahahhaha.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Scaly Haylie

Pizzatime posted:

nobody noticed the sarcasm eh

with pro target hanging about in the video games thread, we've been desensitized to unusual opinions

Pro Target

if you still play video games for 'fun' in 2015 youree a mental child and i hope you grow up some day and realize that the true 'fun' lies in utterly destroying the game and becomign the best. thanks, im out

Tube

I'm going off the rails on a CRAZY TRAIN!

I make a point of never completing video games of any kind. I have at least 900 Steam games that I haven't even finished. It's a matter of ethics.

I should know; I have a master's degree in philosophy, focused mainly on applied ethics (true story).

barfdog

Tube posted:

I make a point of never completing video games of any kind. I have at least 900 Steam games that I haven't even finished. It's a matter of ethics.

I should know; I have a master's degree in philosophy, focused mainly on applied ethics (true story).

I'd like some elaboration on this issue. Why should I, as a game player, not complete my games? How can my life benefit from non-completion?

Matoi Ryuko

barfdog posted:

I'd like some elaboration on this issue. Why should I, as a game player, not complete my games? How can my life benefit from non-completion?

Excellent question Mr. Dog. Perhaps you could go outside? It still exists. Maybe see a friend? That is, if you still have any friends you haven't barfed all over. :kiddo:

barfdog

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Excellent question Mr. Dog. Perhaps you could go outside? It still exists. Maybe see a friend? That is, if you still have any friends you haven't barfed all over. :kiddo:

The only friend I need is the AI companion accompanying me on my latest virtual adventure

Matoi Ryuko

barfdog posted:

The only friend I need is the AI companion accompanying me on my latest virtual adventure

Sometimes this is the only friend I can really rely on:

barfdog

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Sometimes this is the only friend I can really rely on:

look at that moustache and that precisely combed hair. what a guy.

Matoi Ryuko

barfdog posted:

look at that moustache and that precisely combed hair. what a guy.

He's always been there for me. As long as I can remember.

barfdog

Matoi Ryuko posted:

He's always been there for me. As long as I can remember.

byob's new mod in waiting?

Matoi Ryuko

barfdog posted:

byob's new mod in waiting?

He's been watching over us all along. Hint guy for moderator!!

Pizzatime

for a game like heavy rain or the walking dead, playing it a second time worsened the memory I would have of it for the rest of my life. kinda the same with playing stuff like final fantasy for the first time, then skipping every cutscene and doing terrible min-max bullshit for the entire game, taking twice as long for everything while having half the fun. I'd say playing a game past it's apex is not a wise thing to do for your overall experience with it, and thus, your existence and through your actions, the entire universe. Barring that humanity has any semblance on anything.

barfdog

Matoi Ryuko posted:

He's been watching over us all along. Hint guy for moderator!!

he's been doing some fantastic work, handing out advice, tips, and generally sage information. yup, some truly great work.

Tube

I'm going off the rails on a CRAZY TRAIN!

barfdog posted:

I'm partial to a flavor of act-utilitarian ethics myself, but for a more easily explained point of view, let's examine it from the rule-utilitarian perspective (which is basically the same thing, but with easier guidelines that work better with generalizations).

From the utilitarian angle, we want to examine the total maximization of pleasure for all parties.

Let's face it, we know that games without a definable endpoint are just as much fun, if not more so, than games which can be "beaten." See, for example, multiplayer FPS games, where each round more or less constitutes a "level" in a linear game. Such a game cannot be finished, however, in any real sense, as the choice of when to stop playing rests solely in the hands of the player. The player seeks their own enjoyment not in completing a series of tasks, but in completing the same task repeatedly in different iterations. It's not a matter of whether a game might be multiplayer or not, of course, because we can also observe other genres, such as puzzle games, to see how a lack of a discernible endpoint (besides losing) does not detract from overall enjoyment and maximization of pleasure for the player. We know, then, that completion of a game is not a necessary component of pleasure, there. MMORPG's? Same thing.

But this doesn't cover all genres; let's examine a few others, such as action games, RPGs, whatever. We can look at this in terms of replay value: Completion of a game has absolutely nothing to do with enjoyment, if it will be just as fun to replay it again. For that matter, it's often more fun when replaying it. See Legend of Zelda, which I've played through probably 50 times, and am always dissatisfied by the ending, but I still pick up the game and play it fairly often (and rarely to completion). Finishing a game can be said to be somewhat good, in these examples, or at least not generally "bad," but if an equal amount of pleasure can be had in replaying the game, finishing it was never really the goal, but only, much like the end of a given level or area, yet another (if slightly more definitive) marker of when to stop playing. RPGs are slightly different, in that the player is driven through a storyline, presumptively to finish that story, but mostly in order to fight dozens of little repetitive battles or whatever in order to make numbers bigger in order to be allowed to see the next part of the story; the gameplay is in the repetitive tasks, and if this is the main source of enjoyment (as can be determined by their proportion to the total length of the game), either there's very little enjoyment in them and the player just wants a cool story (in which case it has nothing to do with the game, and can be just as readily satisfied by a comic book or a movie or whatever), or they really like the little repetitive tasks (in which case the storyline isn't all that necessary, and completion is a hindrance to that task). If it's basically a matter of story, though, that might be one of the only reasons for a person to complete an RPG, which kind of kills the replay value. Let's look at shooters, while we're at it: The basic goal is to move on to harder and harder challenges, cooler things to shoot at, etc. Which is to say, the novelty of a new task is the goal here; ending the game actually means there will be no further, cooler challenges, and is likely to be dissatisfying in that regard for the player who plays it through to completion (whether they truly realize it or not).

On the other hand, finding a new game to play after a while, regardless of completion of the current game, means that you reacquire the sense of new challenges, new types of problem solving, new stories, and so forth. That is to say, playing a new game approximates the fun of playing an old game. "Why is this important?" you may ask. Simply put, the more games you buy (assuming you vet them at least a little bit for quality), the more the developers are able to put into making better, higher quality games that appeal to various audiences. This means that your own game experiences will be better, increasing your own utility; the pleasure of other people is likewise increased; and a wider audience will be reached, creating higher utility by virtue of sheer numbers.

If you're in it for the achievements, gently caress you, it's really not as fun as you claim it is. You're just doing it for bragging rights, which increases your own pleasure at the expense of multiple others. Depending on the degree of each, this might even be said to have negative utility, which is to say that it might be unethical.

In short, play more games; go for a good amount of pleasure with many games instead of a slightly higher amount with a few games. To whatever degree you can afford it, anyway.

So that's that. Any questions? No? Ok, I'm done.

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Yeah, pretty much this too. The above assumes you've already committed yourself to playing games.

Tube fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 29, 2015

barfdog

I'm impressed by that thought process. You may have just added value to my life.

devil

how about this: do whatever the gently caress you want

Scaly Haylie

Tube posted:

If you're in it for the achievements, gently caress you, it's really not as fun as you claim it is. You're just doing it for bragging rights, which increases your own pleasure at the expense of multiple others. Depending on the degree of each, this might even be said to have negative utility, which is to say that it might be unethical.

I think getting achievements is a valid goal but should definitely be on a case-by-case basis for any given game rather than chasing gamerscore/platinum/whatever.

Also, don't the statistics from achievements help developers see how players play their games?

Pro Target

that entire 9 paragraph thing is insanely dumb so im going to assume its a joke

Pro Target

the idea of someone buying a bunch of games because of their tiny attention span is funny too so its a good one

Matoi Ryuko

In all honesty I'd like to say I read it, but actually I skipped it...

barfdog

Matoi Ryuko posted:

In all honesty I'd like to say I read it, but actually I skipped it...

youre missing out on some quality philosophy up there, the knowledge i unlocked is worth more than gold

Matoi Ryuko

A good game is Saint's row: Gat out of hell. It only takes like 2 hours to beat, and it's just a fun game to goof around in.

Matoi Ryuko

barfdog posted:

youre missing out on some quality philosophy up there, the knowledge i unlocked is worth more than gold

I read it. I don't know any achievement hunters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barfdog

im currently finishing Metro: Last Light because i never got around to it when it actually came out. pretty decent game.

• Locked thread