Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Basically if you join ISIS and then come back whing about how it sucks, your government should just go "lol no" and charge you with war crimes, assisting acts of genocide and crimes against humanity.

There's been some debate about how to deal with young people who joing ISIS and come back. Because we can't decide what to do with people who knowingly joined an enemy force that is LITERALLY GENOCIDING ENTIRE COMMUNITIES and bragging about it. Answer: War crimes trial! :cop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Dza posted:

Yup. They shouldn't just be able to be like, "Ya, I see the error of my ways" then just hang out back at home.

I've seen some handwringing left wing articles about people going "oh no what shall we do with the young people who decided ISIS wasn't for them and came crawling back".

They joined an army that is commiting ethinic cleansing on a mass scale. If they were going to join the Nazis, the papers wouldn't be having this kind of navel gazing. Put them on trial - they're not just 19 year olds who followed the wrong twitter account and got swept up in things, they're literally war criminals!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

They thought they could CHANGE ISIS

To be fair, so does Jeremy Corbyn.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Minorkos posted:

i also think a dumb teenager who probably got raped and beaten for months deserves to be charged with war crimes because it would be epic karmic justice haha xd

I was thinking more the dudes who go tbh.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Cockmaster posted:

The thing is, many of these people are kids who sign up in an act of mindless youthful rebellion and get out before they have the chance to personally kill anybody (often after witnessing irrefutable proof that ISIS is, in fact, every bit as evil as Western media makes them out to be).

Does this mean they should be let off the hook entirely? Not necessarily. But there is a legitimate case for possibly sparing them from the sort of heavy-handed punishment generally considered appropriate for major war criminals.

I think when it gets to the point where you're enslaving people and burning down villages, it goes from youthful japes to war crimes. Unless there's some kind of jihad package holiday they sell?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Time was when you were a rebellious teenager you'd join a commue for a few months, do some farming, get bored and come home.

There were some kids younger than this from England who went - they're on the religous police now, which means they have probably caused the murders and torture of many people. It's like going "hey you might have run away to join the Nazi party, worn the uniform and stood by while they commited war crimes, but you're a young white kid, so no big deal." With how big ISIS is in the news, there's no way you CAN'T know about the things they do.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

It's not like they went backpacking with some guy called Abul who they met online and whoops, they ended up in Syria. They delibertly went to join the most famous terrorist organisation in the world who brag about all the murders they commit.

If it was two arab 17 year old girls, no one would care, but two 17 year old white girls and it's all "awww they didn't know what they were doing". At 17 you're old enough to know that hey, maybe ethinic cleansing and assisting genocide are wrong.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 28, 2015

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

babypolis posted:

if they were arab i would still care as much you racist poo poo

So when, according to you, should people know that terrorism and genocide are bad? What age does it flip from "completely innocent" to "knowing mass murder is bad"?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

A lot of war criminals do the whole :qq: "its not my fault they made me do it". Just saying, maybe going to the land of genocide to help genocide is a crime. They may not have personally hurt anyone, but they were knowingly collaberating with the people who were.

People who go to join ISIS should be put on trial when they come back, simple as. It's horrible that they've ruined thier futures, but they chose to go and join the people RUNNING THE HUMAN EXTERMINATION CAMPAIGN. At 17, you know better, you've studied the Nazis at school and that.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

babypolis posted:

sso you think we should have hanged every nazi?

Every member of the Nazi party who knew about the Holocaust should have been put on trial, yes.

Because you know, commiting crimes against humanity is a bad thing.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

It sucks that they died though. As bad as they are, no-one deserves to be tortured to death ever.

Methanar posted:

Are the Syrian women who were are native to Syria, or otherwise captured, and used as sex slaves/wombs for making more jihadi's/etc also war criminals for being complicit and not being brave and trying to escape or die trying?

No, because those are the victims. They didn't decide to travel and join the terrorists, they were getting on with things, then people decided to commit war crimes against them.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Why do goons think islam is a race? Like if a black person converts, do goons consider them to have changed race from black to muslim? Last time I checked race and ideology aren't the same thing (aside from nationalism?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Men and women who commit adultery in the bible are also supposed to be put to death

all religions are hardcore

The Laws of Moses are pretty strict, because the Jews were a minority living in the desert, so the laws had to a) keep them alive and b) make sure they didn't lose their cultural identity. The second part worked, they're one of the few cultures from that era that are still in existance today. If you read the laws, they're actually pretty liberal compared to the laws of other people of the the time (you had to have a trial). That, and they laws were only meant to be in place until the Messiah came.

That's why when Jesus came, he said the Law of Moses was finished, and they didn't need to all the rules and regulations ,except for the two most important comments - tto Lord thy God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind and Love your neighbour as yourself. In one bit, the teachers of the law bring a woman who is going to be stoned for adultery, but they're doing it to try and show up Jesus (they didn't bring the man to be stoned too), so he calls them out on being hyprocrites, forgives her and lets her go.

Jesus is saying that loving God and your neighbour is what God wants, rather than stoning people.

• Locked thread