Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
This one is going to be a doozy, as my family doesn't like or do anything :suicide:

Who is your giftee: Brother
Budget: ~100 or so, can be combined for bday/xmas
Giftee's age: 32
Known likes/interests: Final Fantasy MMOs, unflavored and overdone meats.
Known hates/allergies: Uh, probably going outside
Type of gift you are looking for: no loving clue
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: A Nirvana Tshirt when he was 14

Who is your giftee: Father
Budget: ~50
Giftee's age: 61
Known likes/interests: Football, Star Trek, TV Procedurals, survivor, house hunting shows, unflavored and overdone meats, Star Craft.
Known hates/allergies: Flavor, effort in food, friends, all gifts ever
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: A telescope 12 years ago that he never used

Who is your giftee: Mother
Budget: ~50
Giftee's age: 62
Known likes/interests: TV Procedurals, Survivor, House hunting shows, unflavored and overdone meats, Cracker Barrel, hoarding food.
Known hates/allergies: Flavor, effort (especially in food), anything that has to be washed/sorted by hand/drycleaned/etc.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: Jewelry from Uncommon Goods has worked pretty well in the past.

Basically, I'm the blacksheep who didn't go to college, lives in another state and didn't grow up to enjoy sitting at home watching marathons of Blue Bloods on DVR every night. Also because they don't do anything, whenever they want something, they just go and buy it. It's really hard to gauge interests when they don't really show interest in anything that isn't super bland. Also all teatotallers, so no alcohol, tobacco, or firearms. In the end I'll probably just end up getting gift cards this year, but I figure I'll give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Unfortunately, they already have similar items, which is why they're so difficult to buy anything for. On a side note, I also rue the existence of vacuum sealers whenever I visit.

Red posted:

Get her an inexpensive necklace, and loop a Cracker Barrel gift card on to it.

This is probably the only thing that will really work, I just don't know, I want to be able to put a little more effort into something. Then again I've gotten birthday cards before that weren't even signed, and the only reason I knew it was them was because of the return address.

Thanks for trying at least :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

a friendly penguin posted:

What if you cooked for them? One day you just make a big meal and be done with it. You expose them to delicious food and that accounts for their gifts. They can't refuse to eat, can they?

I'm trying not to rant up this thread, but I lived with them for a month when I was unemployed a few years back. I think the only things they eat that aren't processed on some level, are steak, potatoes, and the occasional tomato. I tried cooking for them when I lived there, and I still get complaints about it to this day. I gave up on effort for them after a week, because if it wasn't canned, frozen, or dehydrated they weren't happy about it :sigh:

Also, the attempt at making solid medium hamburgers was met with additional microwaving by my parents, and my brother going back out to the grill to turn it into a carbon disk. Medium steak (mystery cut and grade), was met with complaints about seasoning, and a week later my dad making shoe leather steaks while my mom gushed about how god his steak is.

These days, I honestly don't know how I managed to get out of that mindset because that was normal to me growing up.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Red posted:

My parents are kind of similar - it's just how they are. Steak must be well done, otherwise it's underdone, prefer staying in when not going to comfortable chain restaurants.

Once you accept that they just want gift cards to IHOP/Olive Garden/Cracker Barrel, and give them the occasional tin of plain popcorn, you'll be happier.

Edit: Even tried to get the folks to watch Good Eats, which they thought was neat, but took nothing from it.

I know I'm a little bitter about their food tastes, but I did get a lot of needling about how I was putting a lot of effort into making dinner (yeah, I had nothing else to do all day, why not?) and how great "convenience food" is. I dunno, I don't really like Christmas, but I'd rather at least do something meaningful than go through the motions, which is just difficult if they really don't do anything or have any real interests.

Anyway, not trying to turn this into E/N, so thanks for trying all, and carry on.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I might do this after all. I thought somebody might have some amazing idea though for "the person with nothing, who wants nothing, who doesn't like or hate anything".

I definitely feel your pain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

you were warned posted:

Are you my sister??

I usually give a shirt or a sweater with a gift receipt. Food gift baskets might be good, too. (It was a stand-by for my dad until he got all weird with food and started claiming he only eats oranges and mangoes, which is totally not true.) If your mom's there, if he hates the food, she can eat it instead! To me, it's the effort that counts--"well, I tried."

My dad actually does have interests, but it's the kind of thing where I definitely can't afford any of the camera equipment he likes, and there is zero chance that he'll like any accessory or non-equipment photography thing I could think of. SO... it's possible for someone to not be some total anhedonic shell of a person and still not like anything that might be giftable. Or enjoy others' company. If I tried to take my dad somewhere or otherwise make memories, he'd be like "wtf why." So I feel ya, Bloody Hedgehog.

I was going to say "making memories" for my family consists of going to a movie. My parents have been telling me literally for 2 years about the theater that was being built (just opened). Sadly that chain apparently doesn't sell gift cards online :sterv:

• Locked thread