Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Who is your giftee: My wife
Budget: $50-$200
Giftee's age: 28
Known likes/interests: Theatre, cats, warm things, soft things, cute things, eating, wearing my cologne, flowers, clothes
Known hates/allergies: complicated things, sharp things, things that make her feel self conscious, technology
Type of gift you are looking for:
Something nice that she wouldn't buy for herself — she only buys stuff on sale and often winds up with cheap stuff that doesn't work or last as well as it could. She's been experimenting a bit with makeup lately but doesn't feel confident enough in it to buy anything but $.99 sale stuff, so I'd love to get her some nicer lipstick, eyeshadow, brushes, skin care things, whatever, but I'm not sure I can navigate that world well enough to make good choices. She feels kindof guilty when I buy her too much so it'd probably better if I didn't spend a ton or at least it didn't seem super expensive. Was also thinking about fun tights as she had a bunch with patterns that she loved but wore out and hasn't replaced yet.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past:
Neat leather iPhone cases from 12South and now Pad and Quill, laptop and purse/briefcase thing from Jack Georges, Creed Imperial Millesime (she looooves this but watching her spray from a $300 bottle like it's Axe body spray pains me. She's down to about 1/4 bottle so maybe a cheaper something else.)

Who is your giftee: My sister
Budget: $50-$100
Known likes/interests: Things that are highly rated on Amazon (seriously, she loves amazon reviews), coffee, traveling, music (I think she likes vinyl stuff), organizing things, the color black, tatoos, smoking. She was/is a cool party, music scene person who lived in a big city through college but recently moved to a 800 person home town to work in our family business. Not sure how that would inform the gift buying process but there you go. It's also her birthday on Christmas Eve so if there were TWO gifts in the budget that'd be cool.
Known hates/allergies: Bright colors
Type of gift you are looking for: Maybe some kind of home or office gizmo (I saw a staple-less stapler on her Amazon wish list, so she likes that kind of thing. Her wish list is all spoken for from my folks though.) Some kind of coffee accessory or neat music thing. I'm not sure what I'm looking for here. My wife wanted to get her the fruit of the month club from Harry and David but it's waaay too expensive and I'm not sure if anything other than the pears is actually any good (she used to work at Whole Foods and good produce is hard to come by in a town of 800. And apparently she hates the grocery store people so doesn't like going there anyway.)
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: Aeropress coffeemaker, Bodum glassware, a selection of Origami paper when she was into that.

Who is your giftee: female friend for secret santa
Budget: $40
Known likes/interests: vintage clothing, clothing that's made in the USA, Audrey Hepburn, smoking, philosophy, TV, recently graduated from law school and got a job in employment law, german cars, being catholic, social justice.
Known hates/allergies: Not a hating type of person but I don't think I could successfully pick out an item of clothing/accessory that she'd like even though that would probably be the perfect gift.
Type of gift you are looking for: I really feel like some kind of accessory would be ideal, but I've zero confidence in my fashion sense. So instead was thinking some kind of thing that would be nice to have either for the new job or maybe a smoking related accessory, like this electric hand warmer since it gets cold as poo poo here and she's outside smoking all the time: http://www.amazon.com/EnergyFlux-44...ric+hand+warmer
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: She's socially graceful and an excellent gift receiver so it's hard to say what she truly enjoyed, but I recall a seamstress friend made her some felt christmas pins and spats one year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Can't do a gift card for Sephora since I know my wife will go into cold sweats just thinking about interacting with the people there, but maybe I'll pop in myself and see if they have any ideas. Same with bare minerals since I know we have a store here. Tokidoki bags aren't my wife's style but her sister would love them.

Smoking accessories are a good idea. I'm pretty sure my lawyer friend has a cigarette case already, but I don't think my sister does and I bet she'd enjoy it. All of em already have zippos and just use Bics instead. Seems like the smokers I know all like the idea of zippos but then default to the easy option.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
French Press is a good thought but I know she's getting a different coffee making accessory from someone else. Maybe a really nice insulated mug? I have a Zojirushi one that's great.

Googling Ronson lighters brought me to table lighters which I think could be perfect—her and her husband have a little balcony setup where they smoke and I think it'd be lovely out there. I'd forgotten they were a thing. I'm going to see if I can get some intel on whether she already has one.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Zojirushi has more glowing reviews :colbert: That said, she'd probably like the utilitarian aesthetics of Stanley.

you were warned, for camera equipment, what about a Gordy's camera strap? Depending on what kind of camera he has they can be fabulous. I love my leather wrist strap for small cameras. They're pretty luxurious so maybe a nice gift.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's a bit of a wasteland in the winter so I'm not sure about getting her something she'd have to store till spring. And I assume she'd have to bring in topsoil and whatnot since the area was literally named for the fact that it's terrible soil where nothing will grow.

Edit: These table lighters look awesome though, I'm thinking about getting my sister one too.

powderific fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 9, 2015

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the great advice! Somehow I didn't realize till just now that my gift giving conundrums are a spread of 28 y/o ladies.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Headlamps are great, but if you do get one, I have this Black Diamond and it's wonderful: http://www.rei.com/product/858704/black-diamond-spot-headlamp It has a spotlight that's great for when you need to see far, a floodlight that's great for working up close, and red lights that won't hurt your night vision. I've had a few different headlamps and it's my favorite.

What about a "survival knife"? If he likes guns and outdoors stuff knives are usually also appreciated. I always thought the Esee Izula was nice for a fixed blade. You can get it with a paracord handle you wrap yourself and a little fire flint thing http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/RCIZULABKIT/ESEE-Knives-IZULA-Black-Neck-Knife-Complete-Survival-Kit-625-inch-Overall A cheaper option would be a Mora knife. They're a Swedish knife and kindof a classic useful fixed blade: https://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html They sell them on Amazon but Ragweed Forge is the easiest place to see the whole line, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rosalind posted:

Who is your giftee: Dad
Budget: $50-$75
Giftee's age: 60
Known likes/interests: Working at work, working at home, working in the yard, watching the episodes of NCIS that rerun on cable over-and-over, random tech gadgets that meet his arbitrary definition of "useful"
Known hates/allergies: Sugar, anything he can't easily return and buy whatever it is he wants instead, doesn't drink at all, Kindle, Chromecast, and every other tech doo-dad I can think of in my price range
Type of gift you are looking for: Anything
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: Sodastream

Depending on the kind of working on things he does, inspection cameras are a kindof useful tech doodad. I have a Ryobi one I got for something around $70 on sale. Doesn't look like it's on sale right this second, but there's also a Rigid one at Home Depot that looks decent.

• Locked thread