Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mushinronsha
Apr 14, 2006

Please do not feed poinsettias to animals, its not good for them and I dont want PI to yell at me.

powderific posted:

Who is your giftee: My wife
Budget: $50-$200
Giftee's age: 28
Known likes/interests: Theatre, cats, warm things, soft things, cute things, eating, wearing my cologne, flowers, clothes
Known hates/allergies: complicated things, sharp things, things that make her feel self conscious, technology
Type of gift you are looking for:
Something nice that she wouldn't buy for herself — she only buys stuff on sale and often winds up with cheap stuff that doesn't work or last as well as it could. She's been experimenting a bit with makeup lately but doesn't feel confident enough in it to buy anything but $.99 sale stuff, so I'd love to get her some nicer lipstick, eyeshadow, brushes, skin care things, whatever, but I'm not sure I can navigate that world well enough to make good choices. She feels kindof guilty when I buy her too much so it'd probably better if I didn't spend a ton or at least it didn't seem super expensive. Was also thinking about fun tights as she had a bunch with patterns that she loved but wore out and hasn't replaced yet.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past:
Neat leather iPhone cases from 12South and now Pad and Quill, laptop and purse/briefcase thing from Jack Georges, Creed Imperial Millesime (she looooves this but watching her spray from a $300 bottle like it's Axe body spray pains me. She's down to about 1/4 bottle so maybe a cheaper something else.)

Who is your giftee: My sister
Budget: $50-$100
Known likes/interests: Things that are highly rated on Amazon (seriously, she loves amazon reviews), coffee, traveling, music (I think she likes vinyl stuff), organizing things, the color black, tatoos, smoking. She was/is a cool party, music scene person who lived in a big city through college but recently moved to a 800 person home town to work in our family business. Not sure how that would inform the gift buying process but there you go. It's also her birthday on Christmas Eve so if there were TWO gifts in the budget that'd be cool.
Known hates/allergies: Bright colors
Type of gift you are looking for: Maybe some kind of home or office gizmo (I saw a staple-less stapler on her Amazon wish list, so she likes that kind of thing. Her wish list is all spoken for from my folks though.) Some kind of coffee accessory or neat music thing. I'm not sure what I'm looking for here. My wife wanted to get her the fruit of the month club from Harry and David but it's waaay too expensive and I'm not sure if anything other than the pears is actually any good (she used to work at Whole Foods and good produce is hard to come by in a town of 800. And apparently she hates the grocery store people so doesn't like going there anyway.)
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: Aeropress coffeemaker, Bodum glassware, a selection of Origami paper when she was into that.

Who is your giftee: female friend for secret santa
Budget: $40
Known likes/interests: vintage clothing, clothing that's made in the USA, Audrey Hepburn, smoking, philosophy, TV, recently graduated from law school and got a job in employment law, german cars, being catholic, social justice.
Known hates/allergies: Not a hating type of person but I don't think I could successfully pick out an item of clothing/accessory that she'd like even though that would probably be the perfect gift.
Type of gift you are looking for: I really feel like some kind of accessory would be ideal, but I've zero confidence in my fashion sense. So instead was thinking some kind of thing that would be nice to have either for the new job or maybe a smoking related accessory, like this electric hand warmer since it gets cold as poo poo here and she's outside smoking all the time: http://www.amazon.com/EnergyFlux-44...ric+hand+warmer
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: She's socially graceful and an excellent gift receiver so it's hard to say what she truly enjoyed, but I recall a seamstress friend made her some felt christmas pins and spats one year.

I feel like I should give you suggestions because I too am a 28 year old woman that likes a lot of those things and stuffs you listed!

For your wife:
Come to make up megathread to get awesome advice on newbie makeup products http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3519520
Get her a luxuriously fuzzy blanket, one of the ones that cost too much for a blanket you're going to buy yourself, but makes your drat toes curl when you touch it. Bed Bath and Beyond had some last year when I was holiday shopping, but I know they're lots of places.
Get a Love Your Melon hat! They are super cute and well made and they help kids with cancer.
A nice looking cashmere sweater! I had one once and I felt so fancy every time I wore it and it was so soft and warm and pretty.
Adopt a Kitty!! I'm sure you don't have enough.
Get bomb rear end tickets to see her favorite show! Or get a season pass for the local theater, go to ALL the shows!

For your sister:
Get her tickets to go see a band she likes!
Does she have prime? Of course she has prime. Give her more prime.
Does she have an amazon echo?? If not, she needs one. It's out of your price range though so make your parents get it.
If she does, or your parents are getting it, give her one of the lighting doodad kits so she can tell Alexa to turn on lights and poo poo. http://smile.amazon.com/Philips-455303-White-Starter-Generation/dp/B014H2OZAC/ref=kin_ddp_pop_starterkit_doppler_popT

For your friend:
Give her a Love Your Melon hat!! http://www.loveyourmelon.com/pages/usamade Made in 'Murica and helps little kids with cancer. Also cost plus shipping is pretty much exactly your budget. And super freaking cute, I get compliments all the time, I have 4 :)
Get her a Kiva card. She uses the money on it to give a loan to someone trying to better their life in a 3rd world country, and when they pay it back she can keep the money or lend it to someone else on there.
If she likes fair trade items and not just 'murica items, Whole Foods always has super cute and unique scarves and stuff that's fair trade but expensive to buy for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread